Nabu OT

Glenn Roberts

Apr 24, 2023, 2:50:54 PM4/24/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Agree! Les has set up a thread in the SEBHC discord channel for any further NABUtalk…

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 24, 2023, at 1:54 PM, Joseph Travis <jtravi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Somebody needs to start a NABU thread or join one of the NABU groups...  Everytime the VCF thread pops up I look to see what it is about and it's not VCF.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 1:40 PM Alex - K3CIM <ka3...@gmail.com> wrote:
the vcf group had one at our last xmas party get together and they found out that the basic that is in its rom does NOT have peek or Poke in it.
 but they kept at it after i left.
just  a "heads up"

On Monday, April 24, 2023 at 12:59:01 PM UTC-4 smb...@gmail.com wrote:
Okay, you guys got me. I ordered a Nabu. Better to just do it now rather than wait until scarcity drives the price up and pay more. It can sit in a box until I'm motivated to do something with it.

As to why? ... FOMO ("Fear Of Missing Out"). The computer doesn't offer anything particularly unique. An MSX Clone, Epson QX-10, or a sufficiently expanded H8 probably offers everything a Nabu does, and with a more easily extensible/expandable/standardized manner. But these Nabus are new, which is unusual, and enough retro enthusiasts have purchased them that there ought to be a couple useful/interesting projects that come out of it. If something exciting happens, I'll want to join in.

Scott

Give me a good reason on why I should buy one????

Apr 24, 2023, 4:12:03 PM4/24/23
to SEBHC

Mark Garlanger

Apr 25, 2023, 12:24:47 AM4/25/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Why nest the NABU page under sebhc? Seems like it should get its own main page. Although a few on the list have bought a NABU, there is a much larger group of owners that would be interested in it. Seems best to have it separate from the sebhc group.

Mark

Les Bird

Apr 25, 2023, 9:19:07 AM4/25/23
to SEBHC
Mark, there's already an official NABU website, forum and Discord. I'm just setting up one for us Heath users so we can collaborate and share our discoveries and creations. Also, porting NABU games to the HA8-3 is most likely of no interest to the larger NABU group.

Les

Les Bird

May 19, 2023, 7:26:13 PM5/19/23
to SEBHC
All, I have my NABU outfitted with an F18A CLONE (TMS9918 emulator on a FPGA). The results are incredible.

F18A.jpg

F18A-NABU.jpg

Here's how to do it.

First thing is you need a Tang Nano 9K FPGA ($25 on Amazon)

Next you need to get PCBs for the adapter board. The Tang Nano sits on top of the PCB which does signal conversion and the PCB plugs into the TMS9918 socket. The PCB holds 3 74LVC245s and is all through hole so really easy to build.

Gerbers can be found in the KiCad project folder here: https://github.com/lfantoniosi/tn9k_f18a/tree/main/KiCad/tn9k_f18a/gerber

Video of how he developed the F18 clone is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O00kkVG-j8U

I had JLC make 20 of these and have 10 left so I got some spares if anyone wants one. This adapter will also output VGA in addition to HDMI but I built mine using just the HDMI port. Oh and yes, this version of the F18 outputs to HDMI with absolute crystal clear images. The original F18 did not output to HDMI, so this one is direct to HDMI which is way, way better!!

These F18 clones won't fit on the HA-8-3 because the TMS chip is at the bottom of the board and the F18 will hang about an inch off the bottom.
F18-clone-on-ha83.jpg

However, I designed an extender that will move the F18 up one full 40 pin dip length which should put the F18 halfway on top of the AY-3 sound chip leaving room for HDMI cable at the bottom.
F18-EXTENDER.png
These extender PCBs are at JLC now and I should have them by next weekend. I can't wait to see the results on the HA-8-3! Oh my...

Les

Benjamin Hansen

May 19, 2023, 9:46:01 PM5/19/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Les,

Count me in for one of those boards!

Ben Hansen

Email me the cost and I'll Venmo the PMT or PayPal or whatever except I don't use cashap.

Thanks!

steve shumaker

May 19, 2023, 11:32:07 PM5/19/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to get on the list for one of them as well!

Steve