Vcf

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2023, 2:32:10 PM4/15/23
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Having fun at VCF. tag teaming with Alex Bodnar. Joe Travis came too and has been a great help! Rick Davis also came for the day today. Got to meet Jack Rubin, which was great. Terry Smedley loaned me joysticks and some boards, which have been great. Also a number of people very interested in Les Bird's FPGA Z80 emulation...

Big crowds this morning and lots of interest in our stuff. Thanks all!
20230415_135327.jpg

Terry Smedley

Apr 15, 2023, 3:23:45 PM4/15/23
to SEBHC
Glenn:

It looks like you acquired some additional table space .... really nice looking display!

tas

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 15, 2023, 4:09:19 PM4/15/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

WOW! Nice display setup. I just imagine showing this setup back in the early 80’s.

I’m still waiting for packman to be supported on the H8 system…

Norberto

Randy Jost

Apr 15, 2023, 4:16:18 PM4/15/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
More pictures please!  Help those of us unable to attend.

Randy

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2023, 6:09:30 PM4/15/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Terry: I “found” an extra table. There’s a little bit of Radar O’Reilly in me 😀

Norberto: Leo Binkowski did a great talk on the NABU computer, which is Z80- based and use the TMS9918a and AY-3-8910 chips. He did a great port of PAC Man to that platform. I’m hoping maybe we can get his code. Fingers crossed.

Randy: tomorrow hopefully the crowds will be lighter and I can get away from my table to get more Pix. I know the VCF folks will post some and maybe something on Hackaday.. stay tuned…

Most frequent comment I heard was: “I used to salivate over the H8 but couldn’t afford one” (cynical thought that I kept to myself: “have you seen what these go for on eBay?… you still can’t 😂 )

Sent from my iPad

Les Bird

Apr 15, 2023, 6:22:56 PM4/15/23
to SEBHC
NABU? I've seen them on eBay for relatively cheap ($80?). It's on my wishlist there. Now I want to buy one.

Great to hear the update Glenn, more pictures please.

Les

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2023, 6:39:32 PM4/15/23
to SEBHC
Wow! Very nice exhibit.

Wish I could be there. I've actually thought about attending the next event on the west coast, but even west coast travel can be disruptive.

 “I used to salivate over the H8 but couldn’t afford one” ... That's gone through my mind lately as well. The last decade has been characterized by buying a lot of things I couldn't afford as a youngster, whether it's an Atari 5200 or a Heathkit H8. Yes, things do cost a fortune on eBay, but I also am in a better financial situation now. I actually learned a lot when I was a kid from just reading the Radio Shack and Heathkit catalogs.

Scott

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2023, 6:47:43 PM4/15/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
So some guy bought a whole palate of the leftover NABU computers and kept them in a barn for 40 years (in original packaging). They were never designed to be stand alone computers (need a network interface device and cable TV back end) but resourcefulness of modern retro computerists is chipping away at that model. Initially the guy was selling these for like $20 but now that word is out he’s asking $79. Still probably a decent price? I bought one. The old NABU network is being resurrected via the Internet!

Just what I needed, another distraction!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 15, 2023, at 6:39 PM, smb...@gmail.com <smb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow! Very nice exhibit.

Glenn Roberts

Apr 15, 2023, 6:51:19 PM4/15/23
to <sebhc@googlegroups.com>
Hmmm palate? … pallet

Been a long day 😀

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Roberts <glenn.f...@gmail.com>
Date: April 15, 2023 at 6:47:40 PM EDT
To: se...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [sebhc] Re: Vcf

So some guy bought a whole palate of the leftover NABU computers and kept them in a barn for 40 years (in original packaging). They were never designed to be stand alone computers (need a network interface device and cable TV back end) but resourcefulness of modern retro computerists is chipping away at that model. Initially the guy was selling these for like $20 but now that word is out he’s asking $79. Still probably a decent price? I bought one. The old NABU network is being resurrected via the Internet!

Les Bird

Apr 15, 2023, 8:33:57 PM4/15/23
to SEBHC
Yes I see them on eBay, brand new old stock, for $79. I just bought one. Anxious to play around with it. It is basically a HA-8-3 with a Z80 CPU all in one package with a keyboard. Cool little Z80 computer.

Les

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2023, 10:41:16 AM4/16/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Fyi, collecting VCF pics in this google album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MyoE64hRCpSdRyb79

Apr 16, 2023, 11:18:11 AM4/16/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Not sure that was the right link? Try this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LeVEc3uw9bC5Y9eZA

Les Bird

Apr 16, 2023, 11:56:51 AM4/16/23
to SEBHC
Very cool to see these pics. Thanks Glenn!

Les

Darrell Pelan

Apr 16, 2023, 3:07:25 PM4/16/23
to SEBHC
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great crowd and time.

  Darrell

Glenn Roberts

Apr 16, 2023, 6:45:03 PM4/16/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Heading home. Great show and lots of interest in Heathkit computing!

Thanks again to Terry, Les, Joe, Alex, Rick, and all the creative minds of the SEBHC!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 16, 2023, at 3:07 PM, Darrell Pelan <pel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great crowd and time.

Terry Smedley

Apr 16, 2023, 8:05:10 PM4/16/23
to SEBHC
Thanks to you, Glenn, for the enormous investment of time and energy you put into the SEBHC PR campaign.

tas

Les Bird

Apr 16, 2023, 9:50:27 PM4/16/23
to SEBHC
Thanks for representing SEBHC and showing off our creations.

Hopefully we can sync up on some NABU experiments in the near future.

Les

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 17, 2023, 12:56:20 AM4/17/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

Very nice and thank you Glenn! Just wondering what feedback did you get on the new H8 chassis.

Norberto

Glenn Roberts

Apr 17, 2023, 5:28:59 AM4/17/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Not too many comments specific to the chassis. I think people appreciate the attention to detail of connectors and indicators, cleaning up the look. Most felt the current price point for this design (nearly $500) would be cost prohibitive for most hobbyists.

A number of people thought it wouldn’t be too hard to replicate the original Heath style sloped grey front panel and badge. One guy said he thought JLCPCB could do it at low cost?

I had many comments on the overall visual appeal of the exhibit. Many “younger” (ie born in the 70s 80s or 90s) visitors said they really appreciated the ability to “get close to the hardware” that they can’t do with modern PCs. As I said in my previous email, lots of people were aware of the H8 but only from the catalogs and couldn’t afford one when they were teenagers.

One guy got out the Heath Tape OS manual that I had brought and decided to teach himself how to write a program to display “VCF” on the LEDs. This was on the 8080 system which had no disk drive at the time but did have the H8-Z5-4 cassette board. So I loaded BHBASIC 10.02 via “tape” (actually laptop) and he spent a good 45 minutes, maybe an hour? Working at it and did accomplish what he set out to do. Unfortunately I was unable to save his work. Probably a handshaking issue perhaps due to jumper settings?

zhNAipwd17pX92mpd7_F1L8HMu62I8tocdVrNOGXKqkMyMSppxNnLtk3MOwnfkjrxUSPSx8OZmQ8ZBpcviFl0HE4gCns8AaubC4sc5iOVbCYVF6ZYIrMp0Q87hCrni4w3iGfEJsGlVU=w600-h315-p-k.jpeg

Joe and Rick were there to demonstrate the new dual CF board and Joe had loaded it up with lots of software. He would run the Mandelbrot visualizer for the H19 which looked cool.

Plenty of comments on the cool boards that Les and Terry loaned me for display. A number of FPGA developers were familiar with the unit that Les used.

I wasn’t able to do too much with sound in the demos, only because it was generally too noisy! But I did demo sound on both the HA-8-3 and HA-8-2 (system support I) boards

Sent from my iPad

dmg6385

Apr 17, 2023, 4:59:34 PM4/17/23
to SEBHC

Is there a thread here somewhere with info on building the modern chassis ?

Glenn Roberts

Apr 17, 2023, 5:58:11 PM4/17/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Most of the info is here:

Terry Smedley took the initiative on this and a few of us tagged along. Terry did the write ups as well

The cases were built by Protocase

I think that if you provided them with a job number additional units could be fabricated. Terry should have more info. There are currently no plans for a group buy.

Be prepared to spend a few bucks. Probably $700 or so just for the case, power supplies and fit out. I think the chassis will accept the Heath front panel and backplane, or you could build new. You’ll need to provide a power supply, either ATX or something like a two Meanwells.

Sent from my iPad

G. Beat

Apr 17, 2023, 8:45:26 PM4/17/23
to SEBHC
Les,
The 1980s Technology Cable Modem enclosure (NABU) were acquired a few years ago by
Bob Grinnell at Surplus Sales of Nebraska (north of Omaha).
He sells them for $25 each

You will likely GUT the old RF and RS-422 bridge technology.
I am sure you can use for a future accessory build with your NABU

greg

Joseph Travis

Apr 17, 2023, 9:11:25 PM4/17/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Rick and I manned the booth while Glenn took a break.  A couple guys wondered if the "new H8" was a modified S100 chassis.  Many liked the look and feel of the new keypad but preferred the sloped front of the old H8.  I ran the fractal program just to have something interesting to look at on the H19 while answering questions / talking about the hardware and software.  We also demo'd a few games such as Super Star Trek.

Overall, I believe Glenn and Alex did a wonderful job representing SEBHC and the Heathkit computing community.  A couple highlights for me was meeting / talking with Jack Rubin when he showed up at the booth and attending the FujiNet presentation put on by Thom Cherryhomes.

Joe

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 17, 2023, 9:32:28 PM4/17/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Very nice and thank you.👍

Joe: thanks for making that long trip from Michigan to New Jersey for the show. It was great to meet you. And Rick, great to meet you as well. I hope that more of us can interact personally at events like this or just as opportunity knocks!

Sent from my iPad

Steven Hirsch

Apr 18, 2023, 9:17:04 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 4/17/23 20:45, G. Beat wrote:
> Les,
> The 1980s Technology Cable Modem enclosure (NABU) were acquired a few years ago by
> Bob Grinnell at Surplus Sales of Nebraska (north of Omaha).
> He sells them for $25 each
> https://www.surplussales.com/Cab-RacksHardware/encl_2.html

NABU without keyboard for $25. Great price, but it's not possible to
determine shipping costs from their web site.

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2023, 9:46:08 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
And just to be clear this is not the NABU computer, it's the network interface.

The NABU architecture specified two boxes: a computer (with Z80, TMS9918a, AY-3-8910, etc.) and an interface box. The computer was diskless - all operating software, programs and data were to be transferred via the cable TV network infrastructure, communicating to a back-end mainframe. The Network Interface provided that important translation function. Today there are ways to interface the NABU computer to the Internet without the need for the original Network Interface (which was custom to the cable TV-based infrastructure). Still it would be an interesting complement to the NABU computer... the guy with the surplus stock of NABU computers is still selling them on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394521947850

There's plenty of video out there on the NABU. Leo Binkowski did a great talk at VCF on this. Here's one of his videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlpZFAX4MZo

not sure but I think he'll be recording/posting the talk from VCF soon...

- glenn

Apr 18, 2023, 10:03:50 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of Leo Binkowski, here's a charming little look-back video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKV-nH3rLHE

sorry if this feels a bit off topic for SEBHC but I think this may be a path for us to access some interesting software for the HA-8-3 since the NABU uses a very similar architecture and Leo has preserved all the software (and I believe plans to make it available!!)

Les Bird

Apr 18, 2023, 10:59:26 AM4/18/23
to SEBHC
Thanks for the video links Glenn, really cool to see all that. My NABU will arrive this Friday. Is there a good source for technical documentation about it somewhere online? I guess I'll Google and see what I can find.

Les

Randy Jost

Apr 18, 2023, 11:08:39 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I have one of these arriving on Friday also. To be clear, we’re getting the keyboard and computer section, and the guy in Nebraska is selling the interface units as RF “tight” boxes. Is that correct?   Also, thanks for the Binkowski video link.

Randy

Les Bird

Apr 18, 2023, 11:13:09 AM4/18/23
to SEBHC
Oh also, this NABU network system from back in the early 80s reminds me of the PLATO computer system. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with it. The high school I went to back in 1980 had a room full of PLATO computer terminals and I spent many hours there playing around with them and doing a lot of programming on them in a language called TUTOR.

Les

glenn.f...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2023, 11:17:13 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

I believe that’s correct.  Also you won’t be able to do anything with the NABU ‘til you rig up a converter so you can connect with the Internet. I think that involves an RS 422 (?) to DIN-5 (?) wiring adapter and then something to bridge the RS422 to internet.    Sorry you guys are probably going to want to move faster than I have been..

I’m still pulling my notes together. I have more information to share on where the activity is located. Stay tuned…  sorry, still unpacking, organizing, getting my systems back and running here…

Since this is a bit off topic for SEBHC we may want to go to our discord channel for the back and forth??

  • Glenn

Douglas Miller

Apr 18, 2023, 11:23:23 AM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

There has been a lot of NABU activity lately on the VCFED forum. Looks for threads with NABU in the subject.

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?forums/cp-m-and-mp-m.37/

Dave McGuire

Apr 18, 2023, 9:23:40 PM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
On 4/18/23 11:13, Les Bird wrote:
> Oh also, this NABU network system from back in the early 80s reminds me
> of the PLATO computer system. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with
> it. The high school I went to back in 1980 had a room full of PLATO
> computer terminals and I spent many hours there playing around with them
> and doing a lot of programming on them in a language called TUTOR.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

We have a PLATO Terminal on display at LSSM. It has not yet been
restored so it's just a static exhibit for now. It's a truly amazing
piece of technology for the era in which it was designed.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

G. Beat

Apr 18, 2023, 10:49:36 PM4/18/23
to SEBHC
NABU
START by Going to Official Web site: https://www.nabunetwork.com

1. NABU was developed in Ottawa, Canada during 1980s as an Early Cable TV Network with Z80 computers are subscribers homes.
The effort went bankrupt — while dial-up modems were largely at 1200/2400 baud.
2. NABUs consisted of a Z-80 computer/keyboard and a second matching box (1980s RF/Cable modem) for cable system.

*  Zbigniew Stachniak and his entire crew at York University created NABU Network Reconstruction Project efforts (2005-2010),
* An original NABU employee - Software Engineer, Leo Binkowski preserved his hardware and software from 1980s — which permitted the 21st century resurrection of the original NABU computer experience from the 1980s and has been working on new things in 2022 and beyond!
* DJ Sures early work on getting communications (RS-422 to USB —> PC) going with the NABU computer featured on Nabu.ca and his entertaining videos (Now #78) documenting his passion for the NABU computer.

Good Luck.

greg

G. Beat

Apr 18, 2023, 10:56:04 PM4/18/23
to SEBHC
NOT COMPUTER :
Surplus Sales of NEBRASKA selling ONLY
Proprietary RF BOX (NO VALUE) other than Matching Enclosure for a DIY Builder.

G. Beat

Apr 18, 2023, 11:04:35 PM4/18/23
to SEBHC
The NABU Computer supports I/O Expansion.

Two Blank PC Boards are available are a Floppy Card, and a Serial Card.  Another owner offers a Diagnostic card.

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 18, 2023, 11:17:54 PM4/18/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

The Hard drive interface is the same one as the one QuikData/MMS  supported. So, the Z67-IDE+ should work just fine.

Apr 19, 2023, 4:47:45 PM4/19/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Thank you for sharing that link to the PLATO Wikipedia entry.  That was a fun rabbit hole to follow with it's links to the ILLIAC 1 system.  Stuff I had not been aware of before.  Really cool!

Ben

Dave McGuire

Apr 19, 2023, 6:13:41 PM4/19/23
to se...@googlegroups.com

It was Les who posted the link, but yes, PLATO was a groundbreaking
system. Really amazing tech for the day.

-Dave
> <mailto:sebhc%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/15cb6e6e-d0af-7955-ac5b-18f710fdb8b1%40neurotica.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/15cb6e6e-d0af-7955-ac5b-18f710fdb8b1%40neurotica.com>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/CAE9N4dbt-fip9k2%3DB1ChmeMtTgs7L9qH4NNo-pLGAhdT0W246w%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/CAE9N4dbt-fip9k2%3DB1ChmeMtTgs7L9qH4NNo-pLGAhdT0W246w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Benjamin Hansen

Apr 19, 2023, 6:57:37 PM4/19/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Mea culpa for the mis accredited quote.  Thank you Les!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sebhc/dde252ce-fb2e-bb9f-6590-036018c7e613%40neurotica.com.

G. Beat

Apr 19, 2023, 7:53:24 PM4/19/23
to SEBHC
Growing up in West Central Illinois, ~120 miles West of Champaign-Urbana campus (Univ. of Illinois),
PLATO was frequently seen (CDC Corp./Illinois project), and a number of different applications tried.

I think I first saw PLATO in summer of 1970 … heady times coming after 2001 movie and Moon landings.
State-wide time-share computing at Illinois’ state universities appeared in 1974/1975.

Les Bird

Apr 20, 2023, 7:06:39 PM4/20/23
to SEBHC
My NABU arrived today. Box is in fantastic shape for being almost 40 years old.

IMG_2422.jpg

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2023, 7:16:22 PM4/20/23
to SEBHC
Dammit. You guys are going to make me want to buy one of those... I keep hoping the seller will just run out.

Scott

Glenn Roberts

Apr 20, 2023, 7:23:10 PM4/20/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Les: I had the same experience.really like new.

Haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet. Still re covering from VCF😀

Scott: even if these disappear from eBay it may be just temporary, so the seller can catch up and take a breath. Leo Binkowski showed a picture at VCF of a huge pallet of these. Hundreds, maybe a thousand?

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 20, 2023, at 7:16 PM, smb...@gmail.com <smb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dammit. You guys are going to make me want to buy one of those... I keep hoping the seller will just run out.

Les Bird

Apr 20, 2023, 7:29:47 PM4/20/23
to SEBHC
Looks like the seller did indeed run out of stock. Hopefully Glenn is right and they re-appear again. I kind of want a 2nd one just to keep it sealed in the box. I've had it in my eBay wishlist for a while when I first noticed them a while back so glad I was able to get one. I guess VCF kicked off a demand for them.

Les

smb...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2023, 7:32:40 PM4/20/23
to SEBHC
I wonder if he lets them run out and then restocks in order to hamper some of the resellers/gougers.

Scott

Glenn Roberts

Apr 20, 2023, 7:45:32 PM4/20/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Well the word a few months ago was that he was releasing in batches just to be able to handle shipping these out. Has to catch his breath. Originally he was struggling to practically give these away at $20 a pop. Funny how the Internet changes things….

I’m guessing they’ll reappear on eBay soon. If he’s smart he’ll up the price a bit. Demand seems to have picked up!

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 20, 2023, at 7:32 PM, smb...@gmail.com <smb...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wonder if he lets them run out and then restocks in order to hamper some of the resellers/gougers.

Benjamin Hansen

Apr 20, 2023, 8:53:34 PM4/20/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Mine did as well.  And definitely new old stock.  No evidence of any wear at all.  And not a speck of dust inside the case.

IMG_20230420_195056124.jpg
IMG_20230420_195110839.jpg
IMG_20230420_195051714.jpg

Mark Garlanger

Apr 20, 2023, 8:58:22 PM4/20/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
I've considered getting one, but decided I have too much stuff to deal with already :-D

Mark

G. Beat

Apr 20, 2023, 9:19:35 PM4/20/23
to SEBHC
Lee -
Now finish that time / space machine … returning to Ottawa in early 1980s !!

gb

Les Bird

Apr 21, 2023, 5:06:36 PM4/21/23
to SEBHC
NABUs are back in stock on eBay. Get'em while you can.

Les

norberto.collado koyado.com

Apr 21, 2023, 7:33:08 PM4/21/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Give me a good reason on why I should buy one????

Apr 24, 2023, 12:59:01 PM4/24/23
to SEBHC
Okay, you guys got me. I ordered a Nabu. Better to just do it now rather than wait until scarcity drives the price up and pay more. It can sit in a box until I'm motivated to do something with it.

As to why? ... FOMO ("Fear Of Missing Out"). The computer doesn't offer anything particularly unique. An MSX Clone, Epson QX-10, or a sufficiently expanded H8 probably offers everything a Nabu does, and with a more easily extensible/expandable/standardized manner. But these Nabus are new, which is unusual, and enough retro enthusiasts have purchased them that there ought to be a couple useful/interesting projects that come out of it. If something exciting happens, I'll want to join in.

Scott

Alex - K3CIM

Apr 24, 2023, 1:40:17 PM4/24/23
to SEBHC
the vcf group had one at our last xmas party get together and they found out that the basic that is in its rom does NOT have peek or Poke in it.
 but they kept at it after i left.
just  a "heads up"

Joseph Travis

Apr 24, 2023, 1:54:55 PM4/24/23
to se...@googlegroups.com
Somebody needs to start a NABU thread or join one of the NABU groups...  Everytime the VCF thread pops up I look to see what it is about and it's not VCF.

Les Bird

Apr 24, 2023, 2:51:53 PM4/24/23
to SEBHC
Sorry Joe, this thread got hijacked but yes we should start another thread.

I have a NABU channel on Discord for those that want to join in.

I'm also going to set up a NABU Wiki page to track any interesting creations and to also compare the NABU ports with the HA8-3 ports and track any differences in programming between the two. This would help us (1) convert NABU games to HA8-3 and (2) convert HA8-3 games to NABU.

Also, his listing now states "supply is getting low" and "price increase coming" so grab 'em while you can for the low price of $80.

As for "new in box" I actually ordered a 2nd NABU. I will keep one sealed in the box and set the other up for experimenting with.

Les