hiring a technical writer

Tjeerd Dijkstra

May 5, 2021, 9:23:51 AM5/5/21
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi Season of Docs folks,

Some newbie questions. We have selected a technical writer and the technical writer has agreed to work with us on improving our documentation. Is this enough to fulfil the requirement of "hiring a technical writer" per the Season of Docs Timeline? Or do we need to sign a contract? If so where can we find exemplary contracts?

Tjeerd Dijkstra
OpenMS

Season of Docs

May 5, 2021, 1:00:01 PM5/5/21
to Tjeerd Dijkstra, Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi Tjeerd,

Organizations are free to define their technical writer hiring process. To fulfill the requirement of hiring a technical writer for Season of Docs, you just need to submit the proof of tech writer hiring form

Please also be sure to document the process you choose for hiring your technical writer for your case study.

Best,
SoD team

Tjeerd Dijkstra

May 5, 2021, 1:45:20 PM5/5/21
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Dear SoD team,

Thank you for the clear answer, will fill out the "proof of tech writer hiring form" and will document the hiring process for our case study.

Follow-up question: for payment, the tech writer submits his expenses to OpenCollective and we OK them subsequently, right?
Follow-up question two: as the payments from google can be expected after June 10 (40%) and at the end of the project (60%), does that mean the actual payment to the tech writer can be delayed when google's funds are not yet in our OpenCollective account?

Best from Tjeerd

Season of Docs

May 5, 2021, 2:20:21 PM5/5/21
to Tjeerd Dijkstra, Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi Tjeerd,

If your Open Collective account type is a collective and your grant has been paid into this collective, technical writers can submit a payment request by going to your collective page and submitting an expense. Please find additional information on this topic in our grants for organizations guide.

Moreover, we recommend that compensation and the payment schedule be discussed with the technical writer prior to hiring. Please keep the org grant payment information in mind when discussing the tech writer's payment schedule, as there could be some tech writer payment delays if these factors are not considered.

SoD team