Related Topics & Resources - not specifically related to School Gardens (During Covid-19)

School Garden Support Organization Network

Apr 5, 2020, 4:32:43 PM4/5/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Greetings Friends,

Along with this unprecedented shelter in place time comes unprecedented sharing of information and ideas.

This new forum topic,  Related Topics & Resources - not specifically related to School Gardens (During Covid-19), is the space to post topics related, but not specific to school gardens. and that do not fall in to our Covid-19 forum topic areas mentioned below.

For example, the following messages, are a great fit for this new forum topic titled:
Related Topics & Resources - not specifically related to School Gardens (During Covid-19).

A post on how Covid-19 has reinvigorated the Victory Garden movement
A post on Climate Change and how LA smog is less due to people not driving as much

On our forum we have created the following topic areas specific to these Covid-19 times. We hope these work to keep our forum discussions better organized. You can view these posts tagged Covid-19 and for the time being these posts will be pinned to the top our forum posts.

  • Distance Teaching/Learning (During Covid-19)
      • ways we are continuing to provide instruction to students
  • Maintaining Fiscal Stability of your SGSO (During Covid-19)
      • ways organizations are dealing with budgets, payroll and potential loss of revenue
  • School Gadens in the time of COVID19 - Pending re-title of Garden Care & Managment (During Covid-19)
      • ways we are caring for and harvesting from school gardens
  • Running your SGSO / Supporting Your Staff (During Covid-19)
      • tips and ideas for managing your SGSO, such as scheduling staff, professional development opportunities, running evaluations, HR implications, etc

Be well,

John Fisher
Life Lab
SGSO Network Co-Founder

Shital Parikh

Apr 13, 2020, 7:18:59 PM4/13/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
. It could be used to help organize garden activities at home by parents. Some had asked for it 2 weeks ago. My apologies it took a little longer to post.
Shital parikh Master gardener, San Diego

How to Teach Children in an Outdoor Classroom

Ideas from Taking FOSS Outdoors

Students will be a bit wild and unaccustomed to learning outside.  Outside typically means recess for children. With practice students will understand how to behave and how to learn while in an outdoor classroom. Expect better behavior outside with repeat experiences.

Outdoor Classroom Rules

  • Setting rules before going outside is important.  Have students help decide the rules.

  • Create a document with rules, call it a contract and have students sign it.

  • If rules are broken, the student is given a warning.  Next time student is returned to the classroom and taken out of nature.

Boundaries

Define for them where they can go and what they should be doing.

Timing

  • Travel - Consider travel time when planning a lesson outside.  10 minutes to prepare, line up, and arrive in the garden depending on the distance.

  • Instructions - When outside, review the rules, describe boundaries, describe the challenge and give out materials.

  • Investigation time - break into pairs or groups and work on the project.  Break a classroom into 3 groups with 2 more teachers/volunteers to lead the other 2 groups. Rotate groups after 20 minutes or as long as attention span. Example: 1 group does main lesson, 2nd group does weeding, 3rd group does tasting or bug hunt or watering.

  • Wrap-Up - Discuss the learnings as a group to reinforce lesson.

Materials Needed for Students

(giving the students something to hold can help remind them of their purpose outdoors)

Clipboards with writing utensils attached

Magnifying glasses

Measuring tape

Collection cups/vials

Sun protection - hat and sunscreen

Teacher Materials

Shaded area for discussions

Extra clipboards, magnifiers, tapes as above

Attention signal

Tissues/paper towels/hand sanitizer

First aid kit

Cell phone

Student class list

Water

FLOW OF OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES

The natural flow of a outdoor activity is slightly different from that of a standard indoor activity. The steps of a typical outdoor activity are listed below. This list may be helpful if you want to teach more than the handful of outdoor activities in the Investigations Guide, or if you want to adapt an indoor activity for schoolyard use.

  1. Prepare for the outdoor activity.

    • Determine the best location to teach the activity.

• Check the weather forecast

• Make sure students will be dressed appropriately.

• Prepare materials for distribution.

• Check the site the morning of the activity.

  1. Set the learning objective.

• Present the focus question.

• Discuss procedures.

  1. Go outdoors.

• Gather at the predetermined location.

  1. Model or describe the activity.

• Organize students.

• Define boundaries.

• Introduce/distribute materials.

  1. Monitor the activity.

• Check student engagement.

• Check student recording.

• Ask questions.

  1. Share the experience.

• Form a sharing circle to discuss experiences.

• Share thinking.

• Share answers to the focus question.

  1. Return to class

• Make connections to the related indoor activity.

• Display student work and collections.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2020, at 1:32 PM, School Garden Support Organization Network <school-gar...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

---

John Fisher

May 1, 2020, 11:53:39 AM5/1/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Friends, This resource came across my desktop. It might be useful for some of you.

7 Tips For Managing Virtual Meetings With Care During A Pandemic

It comes from the networkweaver.com site which has many ideas and free resources for those that work to connect and elevate people and movements.

Best,
John Fisher
Life Lab
SGSO Network Co-Founder
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to school-garden-network+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

John Fisher

May 19, 2020, 2:44:37 PM5/19/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Greetings,
The Farm-Based Education Network is hosting a call to discuss farm- and garden-based summer camp programming - May 21 3pm EST.

Hosted in partnership with Eden Village Camp. We'll break into two rooms: those running summer camp, and those who have cancelled camp. We'll talk about the safety practices and recommendations you're following if running camp, and we'll focus on the financial realities of cancelling camp, and what this means for your program.

Be well,
John Fisher
Life Lab
SGSO Network Advisory Committee