Webinar platforms

Deborah LaBelle

Mar 16, 2020, 2:38:40 PM3/16/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Good afternoon everyone,

We are trying to look for the positive in this school shutdown situation and deepen our training systems (from a distance) for our staff members. Do any of you have webinar platform recommendations? What have you found to work/ not work? If our staff attends a pre-recorded training does it time/date stamp their attendance?

We would like to use the training as paid time to alleviate financial difficulties since we are not allowed in schools.

Thanks for any help!

Debi La Belle

Food Forests for Schools | The Education Fund

6713 Main Street | Suite 240 | Miami Lakes, FL 33014

P. 305.968.8546 | www. educationfund.org

Stephanie Heim

Mar 16, 2020, 2:41:00 PM3/16/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Zoom is excellent and just made it available for free for K-12 schools. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2020/03/13/zoom-video-coronavirus-eric-yuan-schools/

Stephanie Heim MPH, RDN

Associate Program Director, Family Development l Extension extension.umn.edu

heim...@umn.edu l 507-252-6520 l c. 507-319-0263

(Pronouns: she, her, hers )

---

Aliesje King

Mar 16, 2020, 4:08:13 PM3/16/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Stephanie, this is just what we needed.

To health,

Aliesje M. King, M.A.

Program Manager | Sauvie Island Center

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Message Phone: 503.341.8627

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 10422, Portland 97296

Field Address: 13901 NW Howell Park Road, Portland 97231

Teaching, learning, and growing on the traditional land of the Wapato People of the Chinook Nation

christopher burroughs

Mar 17, 2020, 3:45:26 PM3/17/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I use Zoom which always works for me.

Good gardening

Mar 18, 2020, 2:53:42 PM3/18/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Debi,

In addition to Zoom, which has a bit more "bells and whistles" such as recording sessions, "break out" rooms, and more with paid options, Google Meet is a reliable option that can be used on desktops and mobile apps.
Google Meet is free and real simple to use. The person initiating the video chat/phone call needs a google account but those that join don't.

Be well everyone.

John Fisher
Life Lab

Hannah Traggis

Mar 25, 2020, 11:11:56 PM3/25/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I am writing to see if you are aware of a huge movement that is suddenly growing to reinvigorate the whole idea of Victory Gardening in a very big way. Nate Kleinman founder of the Experimental Farm Network, convened a large group of us about a week ago to begin working on this and we have named the project the Cooperative Gardening Commission. The New York Times and Civil Eats have already picked up on the movement and interviewed Nate yesterday - things are moving very quickly. I am on the education working group for the effort and we are beginning to assimilate educational resources to get knowledge out to the public in what we hope to become a sweeping national gardening awakening - having worked in school garden education for quite a while, and being a part of the working groups on school garden support organizations, I think of the work you have spearheaded and am thinking that if you are not already a part of this nascent movement, that we should talk about ways that you can be - I'm sure you have your hands very very full at the moment. I'm happy to talk more about this with you or put you in touch with Nate.

hope you are staying well,

Kind Regards,
Hannah Traggis

my pronouns: she, her, hers

---

Judith Rice-Jones

Mar 26, 2020, 12:17:25 AM3/26/20
to School Garden Support Organization Network
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to school-garden-network+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Hannah Traggis

Mar 26, 2020, 12:57:06 AM3/26/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
If anyone would like to join in on our biweekly call and become part of the organizing team, please do! To register for the next call (and all subsequent calls) and to ensure you're on this internal email update list: please click here. For the foreseeable future we will have our big organizing calls on Thursdays at 4pm ET and Mondays at 8pm ET.

I can forward Nate Kleinman's most recent email to all of the working groups if others on this listserv would like. Please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Hannah Traggis

my pronouns: she, her, hers

---

Sonya Harris

Mar 26, 2020, 12:58:38 AM3/26/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
I use Zoom. I just had to move in-person workshops to webinars.

--
Sent from the soil where I sprouted. 🌱www.bullockgardenproject.org
@NJGardenTeacher

Ben

Mar 26, 2020, 1:26:03 PM3/26/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
don't know if anyone here is using webinars for teaching kids but if anyone is,... just a suggestion/reminder to teach basic hygiene which prevents infections from spreading of not only covid-19 but when farming E. coli is something to be aware of

simple-personal-hygiene-tips-for-kids.jpg

to understand why washing of hands is very important please take a moment to watch a video that graphically illustrates how easily the covid-19 virus can spread

How the coronavirus hitches a ride around your life
(interview UCLA prof Z Hong Zhou, PhD)

the demonstration shows plain old soap and water is able to clean off hands AS WELL AS grime off of fruits and veg

WRT the pandemic, there is little or no need to use disinfection wipes while inside AND please keep in mind that flushing wipes down the toilet will cause plumbing in the building to become clogged (which is a problem we all don't want or need)

AND one other health issue to consider is alcohol/bleach (as a disinfectant) will damage skin,... does a surgeon dip their hands in a vat of alcohol/bleach before an operation? nope they scrub up!

Why soap is preferable to bleach in the fight against coronavirus

...No matter what you touch, soap and water is the best way to remove any potential coronavirus from your hands before it can lead to infection. The coronavirus does not penetrate through skin because your outermost layer is slightly acidic, which prevents most pathogens from entering the body

Soap works so effectively because its chemistry pries open the coronavirus’s exterior envelope and cause it to degrade. These soap molecules then trap tiny fragments of the virus, which are washed away in water.

lastly please take the time and watch a thoughtful video presentation that shows why drastic measures are needed (like asking people to stay at home) to prevent the further spreading  of the virus,... basically if too many people become ill, it will overwhelm the system

The Science Behind the Coronavirus
(Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong)

Given the great chasm that divides believers

AND non-believers of “man made climate change”

let’s hope that people figure things out, before it’s too late!!!

www.TinyURL.com/HowBigIsTheEarth

Sonya Harris

Mar 26, 2020, 1:43:56 PM3/26/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ben!  I’m sending supplies to my webinar participants & have included instructions for them to wash their hands after opening the mail and setting up their supplies and will remind them at the end to wash their hands as well.

Ben

Mar 28, 2020, 4:50:48 PM3/28/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
sonya,

discussing hygiene w/ colleagues/students is a good idea (especially given the pandemic) but so too is knowledge about the virus itself,... about how long it can survive on different surfaces

how long does the virus survive.png

so just another suggestion to be on the safe side,... set aside mail for a day before opening it

FWIW here is some more food for thought

imaginea a world without farmers.jpg

Given the great chasm that divides believers

AND non-believers of “man made climate change”

let’s hope that people figure things out, before it’s too late!!!

www.TinyURL.com/HowBigIsTheEarth

Amanda Berhaupt-Glickstein

Mar 28, 2020, 5:32:31 PM3/28/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Thanks for the information! Where is the infographic from?

Best,

Amanda

Sonya Harris

Mar 30, 2020, 10:39:15 PM3/30/20
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for that infographic!!!  That's the best one I've seen!

(she/her)

Need to schedule an appointment with me? calendly.com/sharrisbgp

2019-2020 ClassDojo Ambassador/Trainer