JP Yogan Yalu & Genkos Adea — Yodea

jkpbem

Jun 25, 2021, 11:59:03 AM6/25/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( OOC:  This JP picks up and concludes the scene from "Old Memories, New Friends." ))

(( CMO’s Office, Sickbay, Deck 2, USS Resolution ))

Yalu:  So, how have things been going for you?

It was a vague question, and deliberately so.  Yogan felt that Genkos had him at a bit of a disadvantage in their budding friendship.  Upon the experience of sharing his body with Benim during Yogan’s zhian’tara, Genkos gained some insight into who Yogan Yalu was.  Furthermore, with Genkos being Betazoid, Yogan presumed he was able to read Yogan’s thoughts or emotions to some extent, although he never fully understood how much telepathy telepaths actually had.  Since it was not possible for Yogan to reciprocate these experiences, he would just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Genkos furrowed his brow and cocked his head, curious as to what precisely Yogan meant. It occurred to him at that moment that the doctor knew more about the pilot than vice versa. It was often the way, in a doctor-patient relationship, as doctors weren’t keen to talk about their own lives whilst the patient was being examined. They preferred to keep the patient’s minds occupied (some would say distracted) by asking personal questions of the patient.

Adea: I’m going to need a bit more precision than that; what do you mean?

Yalu:  Professionally, personally, anything in between.  I’m just interested in getting to know you better.  We’ve been serving together for a while now.

Genkos pursed his lips and his head did a little wiggle of pleasure. It wasn’t hugely often that people asked him personal questions, and he was kind of flattered to be asked.

Adea: Well, they’ve been going better since we left the Briar Patch, but I don’t suppose that’s news to anyone. Toto, that’s my dog, he’s back on his feet after being injured in the crash. He forgave me for practically ignoring him all mission pretty much immediately. Whether I’ve forgiven myself, however, is a whole other question.

Although some of his previous hosts had kept pets, Yogan grew up in a household where that was never going to happen.  Whenever one of the Verso children would ask for a pet or bring home a stray animal from the forested areas surrounding their home, their mother Haned would always say the same thing: “I don’t want anything in my house that doesn’t know how to use a toilet.”  Whether consciously or not, that had stuck with Yogan, and he’d never adopted an animal as an adult.  Still, he possessed fond memories of the bond his previous hosts had developed with their pets, particularly Edanne, the farmer and weaver; so he empathized with the doctor’s guilt over what had happened with Toto.

Yalu:  ::punctuating his statement with his glass of sapphire wine:: Forgiving other people is pretty easy.  Forgiving ourselves isn’t so much.

Adea: Self-forgiveness is not one of my strong suits; ::he let out a chuckle:: I think anyone from the Gorkon could tell you that.

Yalu: Do you miss them?  ::beat::  Your crewmates on Gorkon, I mean.

Genkos’ lips parted for a moment, as if he was going to speak, then closed. He did miss them, he missed them greatly. Some of them had grown to be his closest friends, in fact he was due to meet up with some of the crew on DS224 in the not too distant. But his feelings towards the ship as a whole were far more mixed; there was a lot of trauma there.

Adea:  I do. I don’t regret transferring here for a second, but I do miss them very much.

Yalu:  They sound like a pretty special group.

Adea: That they are, and we went through a lot together. Sure, maybe we didn’t travel a few hundred thousand years into the future, but we did experience a few alternate realities and some Romulan uprisings. ::he nodded at Yogan:: What about you? You served on the Atlantis before transferring here, no?

Yogan was interested to know more.  Ever since he joined Starfleet and his eyes were opened to the multifaceted nature of the universe, he’d secretly dreamed of encountering a version of himself from an alternate reality.  Might there exist a universe where Yogan was a painter, or a poet, or where he’d never been Joined to Yalu?  He then briefly wondered what an alternate version of Genkos might be like.  No doubt every iteration of the Betazoid doctor would be as delightful and well adjusted as the one sitting before him right now.

Yalu: Only for a few weeks before the orders came to report to Resolution.  I was such a blip on their sensors, they probably don’t even remember me.  ::beat:: No, this ship is my home now, and I am happy to be here.

Adea:  ::raising his glass:: I’ll drink to that; we’re happy to have you here.

Yalu:  And happy to have your excellent medical care, Doctor.  ::takes another drink of the sapphire wine::  I volunteered to join the project to resettle the Romulans.  Will you be joining us?

Genkos pursed his lips for a moment before speaking. He had considered joining the mission, but with both the Captain and the First Officer attending, who would that leave in charge? Crewman Hamsan? Lieutenant Gnaxac?

Adea:  Unfortunately not; what with Kalianna and Addison going off ship, someone needs to take care of the ship. And that duty falls to yours truly.

Yalu:  That’s too bad.  Would be nice to have you along.  What will you be doing with your shore leave?

Genkos smiled briefly at the notion that he was wanted on the resettlement project. That was nice to believe.

Adea:  Well, there’s plenty to occupy me here, we’re doing an evaluation of the equipment in Sickbay, and then when Kalianna and Addison return, I’m jetting off to carry out a bit of exploration on a meteorite the ‘fleet have discovered, stopping off for a visit to the Gorkon on the way back. But I’ll also squeeze in a few rounds of golf on one of the station’s holodecks.

Yalu: Gaulphe?

Adea: It’s a Terran sport that my father picked up on his time on Earth. It involves hitting small balls into holes that are very far away. It’s pretty good exercise for someone with a bad leg like I had. Really I should take up something else, but old habits.

Yogan nodded his understanding.  They were both speaking the same language, but that particular word sounded quite differently in Genkos’ accent to how Yogan said it aloud.

Yalu: Oh, golf.  I’m sorry, I misheard you.  ::beat::  I’ve never played, but it seems like a nice way to spend the day outdoors.

Genkos shrugged his shoulders and gave his head a little wiggle.

Adea: It does for me...

Yogan tipped his glass and drank the remaining sapphire wine, then returned it to its place on the table.

Yalu:  That was delicious.  Thank you for sharing it with me, Genkos.

Adea:  My absolute pleasure, ::he raised his glass to Yogan before draining it himself:: you earned it.

Yalu:  If this ::gestures to the empty glass and across the table to the doctor:: experience is the reward for doing my job, I’ll be sure to keep it up in the future.  ::beat, grins::  Or, better yet?  How about the next time you pull off a medical miracle, I’ll treat you to a Ra’Stian?

Adea: ::beaming:: Ooh, now that sounds like a deal, Yogan.

Yogan stood, hearing a slight crack as he put his weight on his ankle, the same ankle he had broken on Vionus IV, when he, Genkos, and others attempted to rescue Ar-Dev from Koas.  He smiled warmly at the doctor and placed his hand on the door.

Yalu:  If I don’t see you before we all go our separate ways, have a nice trip.

Genkos stood as well, feeling a small creak in his spine. He wasn’t as young as he used to be. Not that he was exactly old, either...

Adea: Thank you, and good luck rehoming those Romulans!

Genkos saw Yogan to the door of his office and gave him a cheerful wave goodbye before returning to his desk to get on with some PADDwork.

Lieutenant Yogan Yalu
Helm Officer
USS Resolution NCC-78145

Justin