LTJG Josh Herrick: Almost Home

Mark P

Dec 24, 2023, 1:35:08 PM12/24/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

After the away team had been transported to the surface, they offered their gratitude to Na’Shaala. It was hard to imagine what they’d given up in aiding assistance; the team’s thanks could never make up for what they’d lost — but, nonetheless, it was polite.

Maxwell wasn’t able to raise Katsim’s team, but the being offered its reassurances that they were safe — something Josh had wished was confirmed by some sort of diagnostic data. It wasn’t that he distrusted the ethereal being, he that he enjoyed cold-hard facts rather than sentiments. Such as Toxin raising the Oumuamua.

When Sherlock had said “All’s clear” and that they’d be coming to pick them up, Josh felt flooded with relief. There was no further update about the commodore, which the engineer took as good news. As the comms closed, Max piped up first.

Maxwell: So, that was a great wee chat.

Josh nodded in agreement.

Etan: At least we know that the emplacements are gone. They will never harm anybody again.

Na’Shaala: You have my thanks. And those of my sister-dwellers.

There was a warmth that washed over Josh, the gratitude from the beings.

Arlill: I suggest we make our way to the shuttle, we can bring other systems online and possibly raise the other team from there.

Maxwell: Aye, that would make sense. We’ll get a stronger signal out ae the shuttles comm gear.

Etan: Agreed.

As they walked the path, Josh realized that there were swirls and patterns of multicoloured rocks that were on the shoreline, reminiscent of the patterns they had seen when they first stepped into the temple. He was no closer to understanding the language visually, but he was sure one of the many species that had visited their ‘relatives’ had placed them — perhaps a giant welcome message pointing them to the right place.

The closer they walked to the shuttle, the more the man realized how fatigued he was, a symptom of walking on all the cobblestone and uneven pavement. He’d be good to kick back and put his feet up when he returned to the ship — but based on the ‘front row seat’ he’d gotten to the weapon’s exchange, he realized that wouldn’t be the case.

As they continued to walk forward, Max shouldered his carbine and halted; holding up a hand and looking back at Na’Shaala who was bringing up the rear.

Herrick: OO I wonder what’s going through their mind? Oo

Maxwell: Are you alright?

Josh realized as he looked upon the Manraloth that the being looked somewhat different… less non-corporeal as if they were fading into existence. The elements like the wind were now affecting their hair.

Na’Shaala: I… just realised, :: they replied, their melodic voice quivered with evident sadness. :: I know nothing about the galaxy. I… I am alone.

The last word was heavy, a weight radiating out of them.

Maxwell: Oh, I see….. Is there anything we can do tae help?

Na’Shaala shook their head.

Na’Shaala: I don’t know.

Etan: I will not pretend to understand what you are experiencing, Na’Shaala, but I can tell you that you are not alone. If there is any way to return you to your dimensional plane and reunite you with your sister-dwellers, Starfleet and the Federation will help you. It’s who we are..

Arlill: ::looking at Na’Shaala:: It’s what we do.

Herrick: ::offering a hopeful smile:: If there is anything our scientists enjoy, it’s trying to figure out a puzzle, particularly in the aid of others.

Maxwell: Response.

Etan: And if there is no way, then we will be here to help you adjust to your new circumstances. I can only imagine how much the galaxy has changed in the quarter billion years since you ascended. You might find yourself wishing to explore it.

Na’Shaala: I- I don’t know…

Brodie or Nesre might have their work cut out for them; should it be the Oumuamua that helped Na’Shaala acclimate. Did they even have the necessary skills to help? It was clear that the Manraloth was tipping between an insurmountable loss and the overwhelming impact of the choice she made. Toxin seemed to notice it, offering some reassurance.

Arlill: We trusted you with our lives, the least we can do is return the favor, and besides it’s truly who we are.

Maxwell: Response.

Etan: You don’t have to make a decision now. You can decide what you want to do later. :: beat :: But whatever you want to do, Starfleet and the Federation will be there for you. On that, you have my word.

Arlill: We believe in community, and growing that community. We’ll have open arms when you’re ready.

A memory crossed Josh’s mind, his first encounter with V’Airu in the arboretum aboard the ship, when he himself was overwhelmed. When he asked the commanding officer what prompted the officer to join the fleet, it was around further exploration of the IDIC.

Herrick: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, a philosophy of one of our founding member races. We’re a mosaic — it could help to talk… to process what you’re feeling. You don’t need to figure it out on your own.

Maxwell: Response.

It wasn’t clear what was going through Na’Shaala’s mind. Their eyes scanned each of them; Josh was worried it was all too much for one to handle. But, when they spoke, it was with gratitude rather than fear or angst.

Na’Shaala: Are all members of the Federation as kind as your crew?

Arlill: The vast majority are, but I like to believe that this crew, our ship, has a special bond that we weigh on to strengthen our best qualities.

Josh smiled at the COOs observation, succinct but on point.

Maxwell: Response.

They resumed heading towards the shuttle, the nacelles were visibly bright; thanks to Arlill initiating the remote start, they’d be able to get off Alpha Brenkelvi just a few moments faster. And as the wind slightly shifted in direction, and the whiff of sweaty officers crossed his nasal passages, he muttered silently to himself.

Herrick: (under his breath) Thank god the shuttle’s recycler’s will filter that out… oO I wonder if Na’Shaala can detect it Oo

Maxwell/Etan/Na'Shaala: Response.

[End Scene for Herrick]

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick