Ensign Herrick: First Day Tips

markanthonyparker

May 21, 2023, 10:53:13 AM5/21/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Arboretum, Deck 2, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Herrick: What prompted you to join the fleet?

Josh’s nerves calmed further when he saw humour flash across V’Airu’s face. With his past experiences with Vulcan’s at the Academy, he was expecting someone more distant… focusing less on relationships and more on policies and procedures.

V'Airu: It seems so long ago now! Though it was only a few decades.

V'Airu: My father played a role, too. His family was widespread and moved regularly, so though I spent most of my formative years on Betazed, his family had friends from all species and many, many places. (beat, then reminiscently) We used to say that gatherings were like Federation Council meetings. (beat) I suppose I was motivated by that, and saw Starfleet as a way to continue to experience that manifestation of IDIC.

The ensign nodded; the vastness of space and the endless possibilities were motivating factors in him leaving Earth.

He thought about how the combination of Commodore joining Starfleet and not following the groupthink of Surak’s teachings may have alienated her from ‘typical’ Vulcans. Or, perhaps that was him projecting how he felt as a new stranger on this ship. However, as she spoke fondly of her past, he saw how her unique background gave her a unique vantage point.

Herrick: Looking back at your time in Starfleet, :: he paused, hoping she wouldn’t think it was a dig at her age :: would the Science Academy have offered more in that sense?

During the more challenging times of his studies, he thought about whether he had joined Starfleet because of his lineage or if really was the right fit.

V'Airu: Oh, no, I've never regretted it. Even just among the senior staff on 'Oumuamua, you'll meet Bajorans, humans, Klingons, El-Aurians, Trill, Andorians, Cardassians...

Herrick: ::he nodded again appreciatively :: Given that it’s my first day… and the start of my career here, what tips do you have from what you’ve seen of other fresh graduates coming in?

Her smile returned, easily, but her tone was a little bit harder. This would be real advice.

V'Airu: I'm happy to offer some. Keep yourself mobile. After the Academy, some officers settle into their departments and posts. But I've found that keeping abreast of as many ship features and functions as possible is a sure route to success.

Herrick: Thank you. ::smiling back:: That makes sense, it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day and lose sight of the broader picture.

He glanced at his small luggage, which only contained a few PADDs on the Luna-class specs and a printed family photo of his parents and sister. He knew he wasn’t going to have much personal space, sharing quarters with 3 others, so he kept his belongings light.

V’Airu: Tag

Herrick: Only one last question, is there any insight you’re willing to share on Lieutenant Corelli. oO That felt a bit more like interview-y than I intended. Oo …Just so we start off on the right foot.

V’Airu: Tag

Tags! and TBC!

---

Ensign Josh Herrick