Esign Sival - We've All Had First Days

James Scott Schumann

Aug 28, 2021, 11:54:56 AM8/28/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Outside First Officer’s Office, Deck 2, USS Juneau))

Sival believed that he would enjoy working under Lieutenant Commander T’Lea’s command. He had deemed his exchange with her to be ‘efficient’. Her style was smooth and on point, with no extraneous distractions. Sival’s first impression was that she was a disciplined, rational officer who was rarely affected by her emotions.

Confident in his appraisal, Sival made his way to the turbolift.

((Turbolift, Decks 2 - 7, USS Juneau))

Now for what he had really been looking forward to. Not waiting until he was entirely inside the lift, Sival called for Primary Sickbay. The turbolift doors whoosed shut, and the lift began to hum and whirr as it zigzagged around the saucer section of the ship. In a remarkably short period of time, the doors opened at deck 7, just outside of sickbay.

((Outside Main Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Juneau))

Sival neither considered himself to be acting Vulcan or acting Human most of the time - he was simply acting like Sival. He often disliked using the Vulcan-Human binary to define his behavior. HOWEVER, were he to agree to such labels, then we could say he had put on his Vulcan face in the XO’s office, but now Sival was about to go all-out Human - the best parts of Humanity, that is to say. Its passion. Its wonder. And, especially, its joy.

Through those doors represented an embodiment of everything Sival stood for and had devoted his life to. Hyperbole? Perhaps. But Sival had never seen facilities of this caliber before, much less been a worker in one of them. So let’s allow him the permission to milk the moment a bit.

Sival inhaled deeply. It was becoming a habit for him before entering rooms. Then he walked through the doors, PADD in one hand, and his heart in the other.

((Main Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Juneau))

He was going to report to his superior officer, Dr. Karise Indobri, so he had better get things under control. Thus, in an oft-practiced and frequently implemented maneuver, Sival seamlessly put on his Vulcan veneer by the time his foot touched sickbay’s floor.

Still, even in this state of mind, Sival could appreciate the aesthetics of the facility. The sickbay was well-kempt, with everything clean, tidy and in just the right place for maximum utility - just as he would have had it. The condition was so pristine that if the light hit the tip of a hypospray in just the right way, one might believe he had seen a sparkle. Sival did not, however, see any sparkles. Besides, such thoughts were bordering on fanciful, so he put an end to it there. Sival would just have to appreciate this modern wonder, no, this jewel...

oO STOP IT, SIVAL!! Oo

... another time. He had work to do now and his composure to keep.

Upon entering Sickbay’s doors, Sival found himself in a narrow corridor. Looking at the wall in front of him was a door and three windows. Sival peered inside to see what appeared to be a laboratory of some sort, but he could not be certain.

To his right was an open doorway. Sival took a few steps so that he was standing inside the door’s frame. Ahead of him was the main sickbay area. He saw a bio bed in the center of the room, and a doctor appeared to be consulting with a member of the ship’s operations crew at a station next to it. On the opposite side of the room were seven more beds, and to the left, in a rounded-out corner, was one bed in isolation. There appeared to be forcefield emitters that could separate this bed from the rest of the area. A nurse was busy with some tasks at a station to the left of it.

Sival was relieved that he was able to take in the scene without emotional instability. He had just used a Vulcan technique where one makes non-judgemental observations of one’s surroundings to ‘ground’ oneself objectively in the moment, and, in Sival’s case, to take him out of his romanticized imagination.

Satisfied, Sival turned around and went directly back into the narrow hallway in front of the sickbay’s doors. The time he kept walking ahead until he came to what appeared to be the Chief Medical Officer’s office.

Looking in, the room appeared empty. Sival was almost certain that no one was inside. Still, he felt it prudent to check the office to be sure. The last thing he wanted was to be in the same room with the doctor then just walk away without even realizing she was there.

Sival took another one of those deep breaths, then he pressed the door’s call button.

No response.

He had better try one more time. This was his ‘first day’ after all, and there was no room for error.

Rinse. Repeat. Another deep breath. Another press of the button.

Nothing.

As Sival was thinking about asking the computer for the location of Doctor Indobri, it hit him that he should have checked where everyone one was the moment he came aboard the ship. That would have been far more efficient than just wandering around hoping that the Doctor would be in. Sival beat himself up for missing these small details, something which often happened when he lost himself in a bigger-than-life idea or experience.

 =/\= Computer, what is the present location of Lieutenant Commander Karise Indobri?  =/\=

 =/\= Lieutenant Commander Indobri is in Primary Sickbay.  =/\=

Of course! She might have been the doctor who he had just seen moments earlier. Wow. Sival really was not with it today! He turned around and entered the main sickbay area.

As Sival approached the Doctor, a Rodulan, and the person she was conversing with, a Betazed with the rank of Lieutenant Commander, Sival felt a strong force. Not unpleasant by any means, but definitely something. While Vulcans, and especially Vulcan Hybrids, usually cannot engage in telepathy without touch, Sival had nonetheless felt some kind of heightened telepathic awareness from the Betazed woman.

Qinn: Excuse me, Doctor Indobri?

Indobri: Response

She adjusted her gaze slightly to the right to match the location of the voice.

Qinn: I apologize, Doctor, my telepathy usually makes up for my lack of sight, it seems to be missing you.  My name is Kalia Qinn, I’m the new Ops Chief.  Here for my intake exam.

Indobri: Response

Qinn: That would be it. I don’t come across non readable individuals very often.

Indobri: Response

Qinn: Response

Indobri: Response

Sival had allowed the conversation between the two officers to continue for a while. From the small bit of it that he was able to pick up, it seemed that the officer was also a new member of the crew, apparently reporting for a physical.

Sival thought it best to at least announce his presence before such an examination got underway.

Sival: Excuse me, Doctor. Commander. I’m Ensign Sival, reporting for duty to my post of medical officer.

Sival handed his PADD with his orders to the doctor.

Indobri / Qinn: Response

He slightly bowed his head toward both of them.

Sival: It is agreeable to make your acquaintance.

Indobri / Qinn: Response

Sival: My apologies, Ma’am. I did not mean to interrupt.

Indobri: Response

Sival: I would love to do so Ma’am. I have been looking forward to familiarizing myself with Juneau’s sickbay. It is an honor to work in such an advanced facility.

oO Love? Get a ahold on yourself, Sival! Oo

Sival: However, may I make an enquiry, doctor?

Indobri: Response

Sival: The Juneau’s crew complement is about 700, yet its medical facilities seem more suited for a starbase with a population of a few thousand. Why does Juneau have the medical facilities that it does, Ma’am?

Indobri: Response

Sival: Fascinating.

Indobri / Qinn: Response

TAG / TBC