LtJG Jovenan – Tri-PADD-visor Top 10 Attractions on Cait

Jovenan

Jul 26, 2023, 6:34:43 AM7/26/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Promenade, Cait Spacedock))

((Timeframe: Shortly After Arrival at Cait Spacedock))

The Spacedock had reported there were no slipstream starliners within the system.

That didn’t mean there aren’t any arriving soon. The Spacedock was, after all, a major transport junction due to its location at the fringe of the Federation core areas and its several appendices further out in the Alpha Quadrant. One such tentacle led out towards Beta Renner, the major travel hub closest to God’s Claims and her homeworld. It was far. Too far.

The best way to learn of departing vessels was to walk to the harbour and check the timetable. Here, it meant the terminal the transport company had on the Commercial Sector. Finding her way past the several restaurants, workshops and boutiques selling local curiosities from Cait and other parts of the Tholian border region, Jovenan walked briskly towards where she believed the terminal was located. It was just that the Commercial Sector was huge. This Main Promenade alone spanned a few decks in height. This was, after all, a proper spacedock rather than just a deep space station like the one in the Borderlands.

Dakora: Hey! Jovenan!

She stopped and looked around. Then, she spotted Commander Dakora, and being called by name in a mostly unfamiliar location made more sense.

The Commander was waving her over to what seemed to be a café of some sort. Jovenan looked at him, then at the direction she was heading, then back to him. She didn’t want to delay checking the timetables… But the Commander was giving her a non-verbal order to join him, and even if she did find out a starliner was departing the Spacedock, it wouldn’t be for another day or two due to the maintenance requirements after every time slipstream was used. She could check them a few hours later, or even just tomorrow.

She walked closer, and he gestured to a seat across the small table.

Jovenan: ::nods:: Commander. ::sits down, looks around:: I didn’t know they had opened one of these in here. I might be wrong, but it feels like there’s a Brew Continuum everywhere.

Dakora: I hadn’t noticed this place had opened either. ::He shrugged.:: They’re apparently quite popular with the overly-stimulated, caffeine-dependent among us.

Jovenan: ::looks at him:: I can see that.

The Commander sipped his beverage. Jovenan looked around again, wondering if she should order something as well. Wonder if they have tea? Then again, she didn’t know anything of the nature of this meeting, so it might be better to sit here and listen for now. She raised her hands from under the table and laid them on one another.

Dakora: Do you have any plans for shore leave? ::He raised his left hand, palm out.:: And don’t worry, I promise not to recruit you for any surprisingly dangerous intelligence operations this time.

She laughed politely a bit. The possibility had crossed her mind. She had to remind that, as she had learnt the last time, that Commander Dakora wasn’t always the dangerous secret agent from spy stories. The inquiry of shore leave activities caught her off guard, however.

Jovenan: Oh, uh… No, I don’t really have any plans. I suppose I could go down the planet, maybe visit some historical sites or natural wonders, or go for hike or something.

The Commander nodded.

Dakora: There is definitely no shortage of things to do. ::He gestured to the PADD.:: I’m still dealing with the blowback from what our unexpected guests did to the Intel Department, but I’d like to squeeze in some surfing if I can. I’ve heard good things about the beaches of Cait. ::He shrugged.:: Maybe I can convince the Captain to come with me and blow off some steam.

Jovenan nodded slowly. Her mind went to the Captain and Commander Dakora, running on a beach, throwing a beach ball and laughing together. She had seen human swimwear during her years on Earth, so she pictured them in those. The Edo usually didn’t bother… Stop thinking, stop thinking!

Jovenan: I actually visited here once, years ago. I waited for my transport here on way to Earth when I joined the Academy. Maybe I could help you with finding activities for you, sir?

Dakora: Response

Jovenan tried to scan her memory of anything worth remembering from her brief visit to the Cait Spacedock years ago. Had she actually done anything but sit in her guest quarters and sulked?

Jovenan: I remember there’d be a Zero Gravity T(h)rill Amusement Park on the Spacedock. I would think it’s still operating. Maybe you’d like something like that?

Dakora: Response

Jovenan: Oh, right. Maybe too soon. ::thinks:: Maybe the Space Centre Hrrr’ston, on planetside? I haven’t visited there before, but I’ve heard they have an enormous collection of historic relics from Caitian and other Federation early space programs. Or maybe this one cavern full of naturally formed bridges…

She stopped. These were all interesting places to visit, but they were just some of the top attractions she had read once and happened to remember, either because they were unusual or because she had been interested in them personally. That didn’t mean the Commander would be. She looked at him. While they had been serving together for months now, she had only talked with him a handful of times, all of them in relation to missions, investigations or being thrown off a cliff. She had to admit, she didn’t actually know anything of him.

Jovenan: Actually, maybe I should rather ask you. What kind of things do you like? Do you… uh, have any hobbies? What are you like, usually? I mean, out of work?

Dakora: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan