LtJG Jovenan – The faraway worlds

Jovenan

Jul 20, 2023, 12:43:26 PM7/20/23
to USS Artemis-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Commercial Sector, Cait Spacedock))

Jovenan stood before the Alpha Starlines terminal and looked up. Dozens of people walked past her, some of them hurried, others strolling by, either idly or looking for their gate. Jovenan alone stood still, looking up. The large board, hung above the entrance to the ticketing area listed all civilian transport vessels of that company passing this area, connecting different worlds of the Alpha Quadrant. The display changed frequently, as local transport ships of various sizes and warp capabilities came and went. Some were heading down on to Cait, others to the Shoals, some even to more distant places such as Pacifica.

Those places didn’t interest Jovenan. She wasn’t looking for a day trip on Cait, at least not at the moment, nor visiting any of those other places. Her gaze was on the long-distance departures. Very long distance. The company’s few slipstream starliners.

Andorian Rose. Cait – Betazed. Departure 240007.30.

Tellarite Lily. Cait – Beta Renner. Departure 240009.15.

She sighed. By then, the shore leave would be over, and they’d be back to the Borderlands. This hadn’t been the right time either.

Leaving the busy spot by the terminal behind her, she walked further into the Commercial Sector of the Spacedock. Soon, she found her way back to the Main Promenade, the ever-busy conglomerate of various shops and services gathered around a circular space. She didn’t mind the people rushing past her or shopkeepers presenting their goods, but slowly walked past them.

Between a barbershop and an ice cream parlour, she found a small alcove. It was separated from the busy promenade by a few large plant boxes, and the whole area was overlooked by a large window out into the space. Jovenan walked in, taking a seat on a soft coach. It was a cosy little lounge, a bit of silence among the shoppers. She sighed again. There were hundreds of stars visible through the window, tiny little spots far in the distance. Oh, why did they have to be so far.

Jones: Response

A familiar voice. She turned and saw Hiro walking to her. Smiling, she waved at him.

Jovenan: Oh hi, Hiro! Exploring the promenade?

Jones: Response

Jovenan: I agree. ::pause:: Actually, I’ve been here before, once. When I got accepted to the Academy. The route from my homeworld and Earth runs through this area, so this was a stop for my transport ship.

She looked into the space again.

Jovenan: ::melancholic laughter:: It took me almost two month to get from there to here. The longest time I had been in space. ::turns to Jones, smiles again:: So, how’re you doing?

Jones: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Lieutenant JG Jovenan