Lt. Robin Hopper: Hirogen-Style Home Cooking

Robin Hopper

Feb 2, 2023, 6:44:46 PM2/2/23
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – Remember, only Department Heads / Command Team / Hirogen are required. Anyone else can feel free to have your character in other scene(s) this week, if you prefer. If you are at dinner, feel free to tag folks as ‘sitting near you’ on a first-come-first-served basis.))

((Peace Park – Amity Outpost))

The train ride from the Beijing District to Peace Park had been surprisingly quiet. Robin supposed this was, in part, due to the general atmosphere of uncertainty that had settled upon the station over the last twenty-four hours, as it became apparent that yes, the Hirogen were really visiting and yes, they were staying for dinner.

As a Starfleet Officer, Robin already had her doubts about the evening’s plans – not a doubt in the justification or determination of Ambassador Vataix and her desire to see a treaty put in place… No, doubts about whether or not the Hirogen really ‘had it in them’ to be party to such a thing. She could only imagine that the general civilian population on the Outpost, many of whom were from the Delta Quadrant, had considerably stronger reservations than she did.

Nobody wanted to travel to Peace Park while the Hirogen dined.

((Community Services Building, Peace Park – Amity Outpost))

Robin hadn’t yet explored Peace Park’s Community Services Building – though it reminded her somewhat of the little Community Center in Theta VII’s Cochrane Park where she’d taken dance lessons as a girl. They weren’t architecturally similar at all – indeed, Amity’s facilities seemed far more modern – and she couldn’t quite put a finger on what it was that prompted the memory.

Veers: Response

Robin looked around for the source of the voice and caught sight of Amity’s newest Science Officer. Cara Veers had proven herself in the ‘trial by fire’ that had been their tour of the SRC with a handful of Hirogen Betas. The fact that she had opted to attend tonight’s dinner certainly impressed on Robin that Veers wasn’t one to be easily put off by a challenge. She was curious about the young Trill officer. How much of that tenacity came from Cara, and how much from Veers?

((OOC – I have confirmed w/ Veers’ writer that she should be tagged in here.))

Hopper: Ensign! May I call you Cara, or would you prefer Veers? Either way, it’s good to see you again.

Veers: Response

Hopper: Big first day, huh?  ::Glancing around at the other guests::  Playing tour guide with the Hirogen and now a Dress Whites Dinner.  ::Chuckling::  Next we’ll have you negotiating with the Borg.  ::Not wanting to be mistaken::  I’m only kidding…

Veers: Response

Robin gestured towards the service table, where a variety of drinks were being served into open glasses.

Hopper: Drink?  ::Deciding on her own choice::  Oh, and if you haven’t found yourself a seat yet, you’re welcome to join me wherever I land.  ::Reassuring smile::  Could be a good chance to mingle with some of your fellow junior officers though.

Veers: Response

((OOC – Feel free to join Hopper’s table or establish another group table (you can jump in on the “Any” tags). In accordance with MacKenzie’s recent sim, I am omitting conversations from other tables – unless they are being ‘announced’ to the group / are very ‘loud’. This should help keep the scene manageable for everyone to keep up with.))

As Robin fetched her drink, she scanned for a table with available seats. She smiled and waved to Rivi and Tidrid as she passed mouthing to Rivi “I love your dress!” before recalling that the Betazoid Ambassador could almost certainly sense that she loved her dress. Rolling her eyes at herself, she took a sip of the apple cider she had chosen and made her way towards a seat.

The ring of tables was arranged so that the Federation contingent (Starfleet and FDC) were on ‘one side’ of a broken elliptical ring, with the Hirogen representatives on the other. It was a strange sight – perhaps unintentionally evoking a sort of dark Davincian motif. Robin couldn’t help but stare at the array of formidable Hirogen across from her as she took a seat next to Scotty – though she tried not to spend too long looking at any one Hirogen.

As servers began bringing the first course for the night to the service area, plating the meal to deliver around the ring of tables, Robin closed her eyes…  oO Here it goes… Oo

Reade: Pretty well, got the engineering/medical demo completed.

Robin looked at him, startled, before realizing she’d been so caught up in their “company” that she hadn’t even yet said a word to him. Before she could reply, however, a familiar Klingon voice spoke from her other side – and she found Ikaia standing beside her with a drink in hand.

Wong: Completed and survived. At least one of the Hirogen Betas seemed to like what we had on offer. I’m hoping that both of them were able to take away something positive from all this.

Iko: ::mumbling:: Something that won't be used to threaten us hopefully…

oO God, where have I been? Oo  Robin shook her head slightly and took another sip of her cider, hoping to clear her ‘tunnel vision’.

Hopper: Well… No guarantees – but, you know, let’s stay optimistic, right?  ::A glance to Ikaia::  I got the sense that the Hirogen were genuinely interested in what we had to show them in the SRC too.

Any: Response?

She patted the seat beside her, indicating Ikaia should stop loitering and sit his butt down. Moments later, a basket of bread sticks was placed in front of them and Robin eagerly took one. She’d barely eaten all day and the sight of food that was not necessarily “Hirogen-style” was a blessed relief.

Hopper: Bec, want to join us? I don’t think there’s a ‘seating chart’ per se.  ::Picking up the basket and waving it for emphasis, with a sing-songy tone::  There’s breeeaaadsticks!

Any: Response?

((OOC – Probably okay to assume there’s room for one or two more folks at this table, but please feel free to start your own table / conversation as well!))

She placed the basket of breadsticks back on the table and leaned back. Now that she was here, with friends around her and bread in front of her, the whole situation seemed a little less bleak.

Reade: :: To Robin:: I think this is my first formal dinner on Amity. I have not worn these dress uniforms since graduation day back in the Academy.

Hopper: Oh, blegh, yeah.  ::Glancing down at her own Dress Whites::  I’m not the biggest fan. But, there’s something to presenting that ‘unified front’, right? Sometimes it’s nice to have a clear reminder that even though we’re mostly Scientists or Engineers or –  ::Glancing to Ikaia, who seemed to be eyeing the Hirogen as she had a moment earlier::  – Medical Officers… We’re also Starfleet.

Reade: Yes totally agree.

Hopper: ::Taking another sip of her cider::  Now, if I can just avoid getting soy sauce on it this time, I’ll count it as a success…

Any: Response?

The chit-chat was interrupted by the Ambassador standing and tapping her glass to get the assembled diners’ attention. The crowd quickly quieted down, everyone taking to seats as quickly as they could to avoid causing a distraction. Even the Hirogen seemed remarkably respectful.

Vataix: It is a Federation custom at diplomatic dinners such as this one to offer a "toast" or declaration of honor to mark the event. On behalf of the people of the United Federation of Planets, I hope that you've been able to enjoy the hospitality of Amity Outpost and my crew. I very much appreciate your acceptance of my invitation to come together and sit as neighbors. I hope this is just the start of what can become a long history of cordial relations between our peoples.

Ravarj: ::Polite nod of head:: Most gracious of you, Ambassador.

Konrak (Alpha): Response

Acherax (Alpha): ::To All:: A strong pack is essential to a successful Hunt. It would be folly to ignore any chance to bolster our capabilities…

Cigac (Alpha): Responses

Hirogen Betas: Responses

Robin’s brows crept up, as she noted the various – and mixed – reactions of the Hirogen Alphas and Betas. Her tour had included only Betas who, while she hoped they would hold some sway over the direction of the negotiations, she also ultimately knew would certainly be overruled by their respective Alphas in the case of any disagreement.

That being said, no tables had yet been flipped, and she was happy to raise her glass and toast to that. There was a general choir of agreement, including applause and various glass-raising cheers’ – even amongst some of the Hirogen (though whether that was due to their genuine interest in peace, or perhaps just pleasure at finally getting to the meal, remained unclear).

Reade: ::Clapping:: Cheers to all! :Raising glass:

Wong: May there be peace and prosperity.

From the Ambassador’s table came response…

MacKenzie: I’ll toast to that.

Keehani: To our guests, thank you for accepting our invitation.

Ukinix: ::Quick lift of glass:: Cheers. ::Quietly, to others, grabbing apron:: Right, I’m off to barbie to cook some lamb.

Any others (at that/other tables): Response

Hopper: ::Reaching the halfway point on her glass of cider::  Hear, hear!

Any: Response

((OOC – Omitting the Vataix Table’s conversation with Cigac and Keehani’s conversation with Ravarj, Konrak, & Carter; Tags can be found in MacKenzie’s last sim and Ukinix’s latest sim, respectively.))

Reade: That was some good wine. Though I miss the old earth one my father always used to drink.

Hopper: Mmm – did you ever get to try that bottle of.. whatever it was.. that I brought you? I forgot to tell you, but I think I eventually found it in the cultural database: “Clogghh Ale”. It’s made from this fruit that grows on the ceilings of caves on Ingvar III.

Reade: Hmm, that does sound pretty good, I might need to try that sometime.

Acherax: ::Butting in::  The Ingvar system is in traditional Hirogen territory. The cave spiders that dwell there make excellent Prey… ::Snapping a breadstick in half and crunching one side in his teeth::  Now pirates come and go at will to plunder the caves, killing the spiders with gas, unchecked thanks to our holographic distractions…

Robin looked up at the sudden interruption by the Hirogen Alpha. Not wanting to be disrespectful – but also not knowing how to respond – she simply smiled and raised her eyebrows expectantly, open to hearing him out.

Acherax: If there is one thing that can be said for Ravarj’s argument, it is that the Hirogen might once again serve as proper ‘game warden’s for their Hunting grounds.

Tazik: ::disappointed:: Hmmph.

Hopper: Well, um, you know, as your Beta, Tazik, saw during his tour – we have technologies that could help establish and defend the borders of Hirogen territory… Markate your hunting grounds… Automated extrasolar buoys and so on.

She tried to offer a convincing smile as the Hirogen stared back in silence.

Wong: So ah… we’ve been talking about all the things we’ve got going on here on Amity. How ah… how are things been for you?

Reade/Any: Response?

Acherax: The Federation makes many promises. But we have yet to see their substance… We shall see if you have the stomach to embrace the Hirogen’s ways – as you ask us to do with yours.  ::A cruel smile::  Have you ever Hunted, boy?

Wong: Oh I’m not much of a hunter myself. I’m more into fishing. It’s something I used to do a lot of back home.

The Hirohen Alpha grunted in disapproval.

Wong: I guess it’s kinda like hunting? But with way more water and fish don’t tend to do a lot of yelling.

Acherax: You think we are unfamiliar with fishing?  ::A harsh and derisive laugh::  I have skewered prey from the depths of magmatic seas and you speak to me of fishing? A trifling sport.

Robin’s eyes slowly tracked from Ikaia to the Hirogen across from them. She couldn’t tell if Ikaia was inadvertently provoking them or genuinely engaging with them. After all, they weren’t exactly known for their ‘good manners’ and squabbling almost seemed to be a part of their culture. Perhaps it was a “pecking order” thing. Maybe giving the Alpha the chance to assert his ‘dominance’ in the conversation was… helpful? She took another large gulp of her cider and tried not to worry so much about it.

oO Ikaia’s a Starfleet Officer... He can handle himself. Oo

Reade/Any: Response?

Wong: Well…. What do you do when you have a spare moment? Like are there games that you play or something?

Tazik: Games?! We are noble hunters, how dare you insul-

Tazik’s Alpha slapped his hand on the table in front of him.

Acherax: ::To Tazik::  A vole cannot insult a lion.

A curious idiom, Robin thought, at least as the UT had translated it.

Acherax: ::To Wong::  What do you mean by “games”?

Wong: Games like ah… things that you do to keep your skills sharp but they’re fun. ::Gesturing:: Ah that sort of thing?

Iko: I have something like that. It's called board breaking; you have a special stand, or a friend hold a piece of wood and through punching it or whatever you try to split the wood into two.

Hopper: :Quietly, to Iko::  Something tells me these guys could punch through a tree if they wanted to…

Reade/Wong/Any: Responses?

Acherax: Of course we have such exercises. Hirogen culture is dedicated, with pure-minded focus, on honing one’s predatory instincts and physical prowess for the Hunt… the greatest “game” of them all.  ::Glancing at Tazik::  I am training Tazik now in the art of blind-tracking.

Iko: And how does this exercise go?

Acherax: A Hunter squeezes the venom duct of a Sh’Shuor ice scorpion into his eyes until he can no longer see. Through the blindness and the pain, he must track and kill his Prey, carrying the antivenom, before his sight is taken from him permanently.  ::Sneering::  It is quite motivating.

Robin took a deep breath. Was there anything about the Hirogen that didn’t involve some sort of murder or mutilation? She reminded herself of her mother’s guidance.  oO Find some common ground, Hopper… Oo

Reade/Wong/Any: Responses?

Hopper: Maybe, if these negotiations are successful – as I’m sure we all hope they will be! – you could demonstrate this technique for us?  oO Not the ‘getting blinded part’! Oo  I mean, for us to watch you in action, perhaps in a holodeck simulation. I’m sure it’d be quite impressive to see.

Iko/Reade/Wong/Any: Responses?

Acherax: We shall see.  ::Growling loudly::  Now come, bring us our food!

As if in reaction the Alpha’s demands, servers (who were making their way ‘round the table) began serving his table. With the Hirogen now distracted, Robin turned to everyone at her own table, speaking a little more softly.

Hopper: So… Who’s excited to try “real Hirogen home cooking” tonight?  ::Raised brow, a finger pointed::  Ikaia? Something to really test those Klingon chompers?

Reade/Wong/Iko/Any: Responses

Hopper: ::Quietly::  God no. I’m just hoping there’s a side I can fill up on. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for cultural exchange – and if peace with the Hirogen is possible… I’d eat a whole hog to make it happen. If I really knew it would.  ::Hand on cheek, slightly resigned chuckle::  But I grew up on tofu and garden salads.

Reade/Wong/Iko/Any: Responses

With that, steaming plates were set before them. The main course consisted of a bright scarlet red mound of flesh, charred around the outside, with little white worm-like things salted and scattered across it, almost like demonic sprinkles. Beside it was a small bowl of thick stew-like organ broth, a thin layer of fat sitting atop it which shimmered and reflected the light like an oil slick. A small handful of bread, Robin guessed for dipping in the stew, sat beside that.

oO Oh god… I think I’m going to be sick. Oo

She hastily reached for a piece of bread and stuffed it in her mouth, trying to focus on the familiar palatable flavour. It didn’t help. She looked across the ring of tables and noticed Beta Tazik and his Alpha tearing into the meat ravenously.

Hopper: At least our guests seem pleased…

Reade/Wong/Iko/Any: Responses

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)