Lt. Robin Hopper: The Gift of Gab (Part 1)

Robin Hopper

Nov 18, 2022, 7:10:26 PM11/18/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Grand Mezzanine))

After her appointment with Counselor Carter, Robin had decided to take the rest of her afternoon of shore leave – the remaining days of which were quickly dwindling – to peruse the Mezzanine in search of furniture for her apartment. I had been quite some time since she’d needed to actually furnish a space… actually, she had never had the privilege of having as much space to fill as she did now. It was both exciting and a little overwhelming… which is probably why she found herself procrastinating.

She been drawn in by a small establishment stocking spirits and liquours from the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and now Delta Quadrant as well. The unusually-shaped and colorful bottles that lined the windows had gotten her thinking. Lieutenant Reade had done her a real solid in agreeing to her requested modifications – the holoemitters built into her walls and ceilings – and she thought it only appropriate to get him a thank you gift. The fact that this would forestall her having to make decisions about her furniture was merely a secondary benefit.

There was, however, a problem which would require some research to overcome. As she held a bottle of Sikarian Blue – whatever that was – in her hand, she tapped her combadge.

Hopper: =/\= Lieutenant Kivik? It’s Robin. I was wondering if I might pick your brain for a moment. If you’re available, that is. =/\=

Kivik: ::Slightly bewildered::  =/\= Hm? Oh, Lieutenant Hopper! Ahh, sure. I could use a break from staring at this neverending list of Idrustixian insect larvae anyways. What did you need? =/\=

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  =/\= Well, I’m sorry to say it might be a quick question, but I was hoping to buy a bottle of something to thank Scotty for helping me out with a personal project and, well, I thought, as his friend and former roommate, you might know what he likes. =/\=

There was a brief pause from the other end. Robin set the bottle of Sikarian Blue back on the shelf and gave a reassuring smile to the shopowner who nodded encouragingly.

Kivik: =/\= Huh. Err, that’s a tricky one. Scotty’s not a big drinker… The last time I remember him really letting loose like that was when we first launched the Outpost. There was this hoverbar… =/\=

Hopper: =/\= Did you say hoverbar? =/\=

Kivik: =/\= Ahh, yes. It was a gift. For Commander Ukinix. He’s never pulled it out again? I’m surprised. =/\=

Robin crossed her arms, a little disappointed.

Hopper: =/\= He has not. At least not while I’ve been here… That sounds like a blast! =/\=

Kivik: =/\= It’s a bit bumpy on the stairs… ::Clearing nir throat::  Ahem. Sorry, you were asking about Scotty. I remember he had some sort of, hmm, fruity beer? =/\=

Hopper: ::Shrugging::  =/\= Beer’s not my forté. Actually, I can’t drink the stuff. =/\=

Kivik: =/\= Me neither… I mean, well, I can drink it, but it doesn’t do much for me. I’ll take a strong chocolate milk over alcohol any day. =/\=

Robin pushed her curiosity about that statement aside, focusing on the task at hand.

Hopper: =/\= Okay, well, thank you for the information. I’ll do my best! =/\=

Kivik: =/\= Happy to help. Sort of. Ugh – back to the bugs, I guess… =/\=

Robin turned to the shopkeeper, putting on her best “please help me” smile.

Hopper: I’m looking for some sort of… fruity… beer-y… thing.

((Twenty Minutes Later – Habitat Ring, Scotty’s Apartment))

As she walked from the train station to Scotty’s apartment (also, formerly Kivik’s), Robin admired the station’s recreation of the San Francisco bay area. She had spent four years living there while attending Starfleet Academy and had to admit they had done a good job of capturing its essence – though without the perpetual fog and steeply-ascending hills, they could never recreate it perfectly.

As she approached Scotty’s door, bottle optimistically tucked under her arm, her stomach grumbled and she decided on her next method of procrastinating – lunch. Hardly a moment passed after she rang the door chime before he responded and, from his answer, it seemed clear that he was expecting company already.

Reade: ::From inside:: Come in! I’ll be there in a sec love.

oO Love? Oo

The door slid open to an empty apartment. For a moment, Robin wondered if she should enter. The last thing she wanted was to intrude on Lieutenant Reade’s private time. However, since he was nowhere to be seen, she opted to take a few steps inside and let him know that she was not whomever he was expecting.

Hopper: ::Looking around a little uncertainly::  Hiiii… It’s Lieutenant Hopper

Scotty emerged, wearing shorts and a tank top. Robin smiled, a little awkwardly. She was just glad that he’d stepped out of his room clothed.

Reade: Oh, I am so sorry Robin. I thought you were my girlfriend Evelyn.

Hopper: Oh!  ::Chuckling::  That makes a lot of sense. No, uhh, I’m sorry for showing up unannounced. You’re all good.

Reade: Phew! What makes you come on over?

Robin remembered the reason for her errand and slipped the bottle out from under her arm, passing it over to Reade with a genuine smile.

Hopper: I got you a little something. Just another ‘thank you’ for helping me get the emitters in my apartment. I’m already having a lot of fun playing with them.

As Scotty examined the bottle, Robin clasped her hands in front of her.

Hopper: I hope you’ll like it. To be honest, I have no idea what it is. The language on the label is not familiar to me and the shopkeeper just kept insisting, ::imitating the shopkeeper:: “You’ll like it! You’ll like it!”

She shrugged, feeling like she was not doing a good job of selling this as a good gift.

Hopper: But I got some advice from Kivik and ne said you enjoyed some sort of fruity beer before, so… Anyways, it’ll be interesting!

There was a moment’s pause as Scotty seemed to be trying to figure out what exactly he was holding. In the silence, Robin’s stomach growled audibly and she blushed.

Hopper: Sorry, it’s lunch time… Um, do you know any good places nearby?

Reade: Oh, I see. Yea I am totally ok with that. You wouldn't mind if my girlfriend Evelyn joined us?

Hopper: Oh– Um…

She hadn’t exactly meant to invite the Lieutenant out for lunch, but considering that her actual gift for him stood a reasonable chance of being revolting, she supposed it may help to smooth things over.  oO Besides, I am trying to get to know the senior staff better… Okay, sure. Oo

Hopper: That sounds great!

TBC in Part 2…

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)