JP - Cmdr. Wil Ukinix, Keehani Ukinix, & Tri’Lea Polgonz: Imza & Tholta (Part 1)

閲覧: 18 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Lt. JG Kivik

未読、
2022/04/20 14:16:252022/04/20
To: Amity Outpost

((OOC – This JP takes place shortly after Tri’lea’s arrival on Amity Outpost, in the days following the 2399 New Years Eve celebrations))

//Journal Entry 239901.01

Dear Mother,

Your last act of ‘preparation’ for my role as a Daughter of our Royal House – which is what I must convince myself this is, rather than a continuation of your own ambition, in order to avoid losing myself to a fit of anger – has proved to be quite strenuous.

Lady k’Ariadust is not what I had hoped for or expected. I’m not sure that there is much ground upon which a foundation for love can be built, let alone the scaffolding of a successful marriage. She is unstable and I daresay dangerous. A risky ally and a questionable addition to our family – regardless of the possible benefits. I wish I knew what you were thinking when you made this arrangement. Despite my reservations, I must try. You’ve ensured that.

And while I search for common ground with Ceciri, I will carry on with my political work as well. Niarivi Vataix would make a formidable ally to our House – but more intriguing still are the Ukinix’s returning from the ashes of their crumbled House. Their dynasty was once among the most powerful Houses on Betazed… and that time may yet return. When it does, I want to be firmly embedded as an ally. One wonders to what degree the stories of their indiscretions are true – and, if so, to what degree that propensity still remains in this generation?

There are many questions to answer, and fleeting time.

Your Daughter,

Lea//

((Amity Outpost - Grand Mezzanine | 239901.02, Morning))

Tri’lea stood at the railing, overlooking the crowd that milled about below, near the ornate fountain that centered the station’s plaza. Amity truly was a testament to the Federation’s desire for continued diplomatic growth – a desire which Tri’lea understood well. For generations, the House of Travellers had carried out the challenging work of expanding the reach of Betazed: establishing colonies, terraforming barren worlds, political alliances…

But now Tri’leas eye had turned back to Betazed itself. Though not distantly-removed from the Matriarch of the House, Seri ma'Soar, her branch of the family tree had yet to strike any major victories for the House – a fact which Tri’lea’s mother was keenly aware of. It had been her life’s mission to put them ‘on the map’ and to help shore up the legitimacy of the Twentieth House. Tri’lea wished to continue that mission. This tour of Amity offered a unique opportunity to do just that.

Polgonz: ~~Good morning, Daughter Keehani.~~

She turned around, having sensed the approaching First Secretary, and offered her a warm and friendly smile that came easily to her, beholding Keehani Ukinix.

Keehani sensed a genuine warmth in the noble-in-waiting.

Polgonz: ~~You’re looking lovely this morning.~~

And there was that subtle feeling of attraction again, just like their first meeting.  It was flattering, enough for Keehani to put a hand on her chest.

Keehani: ~~And you, daughter.  As my grandmother would say, you could wear a coat at a wedding and still turn heads. ::Looking around:: Is your assistant joining us? ~~

Polgonz: ~~I’m unattended today. I gave Rei the day to rest after the previous night’s exhaustion… Besides, I’m sure I’m in good hands.~~

In truth, Rei had been shaken by the events of New Years Eve. Ceciri’s outburst and subsequent injury had been hard on her to witness. Tri’lea knew her attendant worried about the arrangement and was nervous to stay on the unfamiliar outpost. All the same, occasional discomfort was part of the job and Rei would need to adapt.

Aside from that, Tri’lea had her own reasons for wanting to speak with Keehani alone - and while she did her best to control those feelings and focus her thoughts on the moment, it wouldn’t have been honest to completely contain her emotions either. A little harmless flirtation never hurt anybody… much.

Keehani: ::Smiling:: ~~You are sharing a good mind at the very least.  ~~

Polgonz: ~~Well, I’m yours then. Where shall we go first?~~

Keehani: ~~ ::Gesturing with hand:: Let’s head down stairs to the Ground Floor, I’ll take you into Copernicus Center.  Janaran fountain is near the entrance and it’s spectacular. ~~

Keehani guided Tri-Lea towards the ornate stairs that led down to the Ground Floor.

As they walked, Tri’lea watched Keehani closely. She carried herself gracefully, with the confident bearing of one who ought, one day, to serve as Matriarch of a noble House… though Tri’lea wondered if she knew it.

Polgonz: ~~ I’m sure the fountain is lovely… I’m also sure you realise I’m not only here to see the sights, Daughter Keehani. ~~

Keehani: ~~It’s lovely for you to refer to me as “Daughter”, Daughter Polgonz.  But I am not a daughter.  Not yet.  I may never be. ~~

Polgonz: ~~ Nor am I, thanks to my mother’s interminable domination. We’re both in a similar predicament, if I may be so familiar. Yet I have faith in your cause. Do you think your claim will come to naught? ~~

Keehani: ~~Many of the houses are convinced of it.  All because of a name.  ::Slightly crestfallen:: I’m still a citizen.  A citizen who’s named all of the houses of Nobility in a Reconciliation Forums petition.  Sometimes I wonder if my thoughts are not of the Four. ~~

They reached the fountain and stood beside it, but Tri’lea felt her gaze drawn to Keehani, rather than the water feature. There was such passion in her thoughts, such vigor. It was a remarkable breath of fresh air compared to the tired meandering repetition of the other nobles Tri’lea was used to dealing with.

Polgonz: ~~ Surely it can’t be that bad… ~~

Keehani: ~~Oh no, it’s true. Astradem Ukinix, Wil’s grandfather, did those things.  Grandmother was exiled by her parents.  My great grandparents were just as terrible as the stories you’ve probably heard.~~

Tri’lea considered Keehani’s words. She felt for the woman. Why should she be punished?

Polgonz: ~~ ::Genuinely:: I’m sorry that so many believe we ought to pay for the indiscretions of our forebears… ::Looking at the fountain, at last, and appreciating its beauty:: Still, the rumblings among the other royal houses is that you possess a “relentless” spirit – their words, not mine. ::Back to Keehani:: Do you mind if I ask, what drives you? ~~

"Relentless spirit" brought a momentary wicked smile to her lips, which she quickly suppressed. They were wary of her, which she quickly surmised was good to know.

Keehani: ~~Because my grandmother had something taken from her.  Her rightful matriarchy.  Twice.   She spent 23 years raising me and turning me into the person I am today.  And now she is unwell.  Attempting to restore her as the controlling matriarch is the least I can do.  ~~

The two stood side-by-side for a moment, taking in the sight before them. For a brief moment, both their thoughts seemed only of the present. Then, they walked again, moving on with the ‘tour’.

Polgonz: ~~ I think I understand. You are fighting for a noble cause, indeed, then – the dignity of one whom you love… The Royal Houses are always poised to strike at one another, though they play at friendship. They forget that Imza and Tholta are the stanchions of Altha. Without truth and love, there can be no peace on Betazed. ~~

Keehani momentarily broke from telepathic communication.

Keehani: ::Polite scowl:: Ugh.  Their infighting is a result of their own Fana.

Polgonz: ~~ Which is precisely why I’d like for you and I to be close. Both our Houses have their naysayers. I would like to prove them wrong through acts of truth and love, if we can. ~~

Keehani stopped walking, turned to Tri’lea, smiled politely and delicately clasped her fingers together.

Keehani: ~~ It’s not my House yet.  Even if my petition is successful at the Reconciliation Forums, it wouldn’t be “my” House.  It would be grandmother’s.  Her intent is to truly share it with the people of Betazed.  I intend to honour that wish.  ::Changing the subject:: Enough about me. Let’s see more of the station!  ~~

They arrived at the turbolift and, as the doors opened, stepped inside. Tri’lea felt filled with an adventurous and emboldened spirit.

Polgonz: ::Excitedly:: ~ So… What’s next? ~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

// Personal Message to Stacey and Anacem Ukinix, 28 Marine Terrace, Fremantle, Australia, Earth.

G’day Mum and Dad, how are ya.  Thanks for your last message, glad to hear you guys are well.  Sorry to hear about Dad’s foot injury… I won’t ask how he *really* got it.  Things are going well here, Rivi’s great to work with and the station has really become a little city now, it’s fun working and living here.  I had a cracker of a New Year’s Eve, got home a bit later than I‘d planned, but, well you know me.  Can’t help myself.  Keehani is well and says hi to you guys.  We had a bit of a chat, she’s made me realise that besides great-aunt Vaxa we’ve all she’s got.  I accepted that, we’ve become closer.  I know I’ve been resistant but I think it’s time we have her and Vaxa over to Earth so they can check out Grandma and Grandpa’s winery.

Tell Grandma and Grandpa I miss ‘em.  And Flower, give her a big pat from me when you see her next.  Also, tell Grandpa there’s a “Tri’lea Polgonz” on the station, she’s a daughter, or a noble, or a princess, or whatever the $#@^ you call them, from the Twentieth House.  She’s arranged to be married to one of our Starfleet officers.  An arranged marriage ::chuckle:: Who would have thought, in the Federation in the 24th century, that would still be something people do.  He was right, the whole Betazoid nobility thing is a crock.  ::Sigh:: Oh well, it is what it is, I guess.

Anyway gotta run, catchya later, love you both. //

((Amity Outpost - The Spire, Lighthouse Restaurant | 239901.02, Evening))

As the door clerk led her inside, Tri’lea looked about the restaurant for her accompaniment. While she had greatly enjoyed her time with Keehani that morning, the other Ukinix still posed a grave concern to her. His friendly demeanour had clearly shifted at the sound of an ‘Arranged Marriage’ – evidently a sore spot for the earthborn man. She also suspected he may have lingering misgivings, based on the dramatic events of his own family’s past…

Still, she would have rather Wil Ukinix as a friend than as an enemy, and so she had requested that they meet to discuss the matter. Spotting the Commander sitting at a table, she thanked the clerk and made her way across the restaurant. She wore a form-fitting lilac dress she hoped might offer some distraction from the ‘business’ at hand. Catching his eye, she greeted him warmly.

Ukinix: Daughter Polgonz.

And distract him she did.  She looked stunning in her outfit.  Despite his misgivings he could think of worse people to have to be forced to marry.

Even though he was now officially off duty, he was just wearing his uniform.  That was one of the advantages of Starfleet - not having to worry about “what to wear” in many situations.

Polgonz: Commander, I’m glad to see you again – under less formal circumstances.

Ukinix: Less formal?  ::Smirking:: I dunno - ::Looking around:: this restaurant is pretty fancy.  By the way, while we’re here, call me Wil.

Polgonz: And you may call me Lea, if you like. I hope that my introduction the other day didn’t give you the wrong impression. I’m a servant to my family’s traditions, but I am not entirely supercilious.

Ukinix: ::Smiling to hide confusion:: No worries, Lea.  oO Did she just say, “super-licious”? Oo

Tri’lea held in a frown. At her mother’s insistence, she had received a great deal of training and tutoring from a young age – how to walk with power, how to discuss the flavours of wine, how to talk suitably. All of it in an attempt to appear as regal as the title ‘Royal House of Betazed’ demanded… but it was, in some ways, an act.

The Twentieth House was something of a fledgling establishment, younger than the other Houses and less respected. Idrustix had believed that in order to be accepted, they must all act the part. The irony of the present situation did not elude Tri’lea. Her attempt to argue that she was not arrogant and aloof had, perhaps, had the opposite effect. But she was not here to discuss the finer points of eloquent speech with Ukinix.

Wil sensed some internal confusion and conflict in the Betazoid.  He didn’t allow his facial expression to change in response to it, and didn’t dwell on what he had sensed (in part because, as always, it was none of his business) but for a fleeting moment he wondered if Tri’Leas was conflicted about being an almost-noble.

Polgonz: I’d very much like for us to be friends… I understand your reservations about my purpose here and I hoped we might talk about it.

Friends?  His times on Betazed had been enjoyable, and he’d love meeting the locals.  In fact, the Betazoid people had welcomed him, many of them sensing that he was partially a Betazoid himself.  But Betazoid nobility was another matter.  He’d trusted Rivi after a while, not only because she was now his Commanding Officer, but also she seemed different to the others.  Regal yet down to “Earth” at the same time.

Ukinix: ::Palms up, leaning back:: My reservations are to do with the welfare of a Starfleet officer.  I have personal objections, of course, but despite what Keehani and Rivi may have told you, I respect cultural traditions.

He was far from deciding if he could trust *this* noble Betazoid.

Polgonz: On the contrary, Wil, both Ambassador Rivi and First Secretary Keehani have assured me of your respect – but a respectful adversary is still an adversary.

Ukinix: ::looking up:: Well, I said, “respect”. ::Looking back at Lea:: Not necessarily agree with.

Polgonz: ::Smirking back:: Indeed.

Wil very quietly ironically chuckled at her smirk.  After a moment of silence between them, he decided that skirting around issue was pointless.  Especially with a Betazoid.

Ukinix: I may as well address the elephant in the room straight away.

Tri’lea leaned forward, resting an elbow on the table and leaning her head on it as she gave Ukinix a quizzical look.

Polgonz: The what?

Ukinix: It’s a… Terran saying. It’s like, addressing the big ticket item.

Polgonz: ::With an amused smile:: I’m sorry, you’ve lost me in your metaphors.

It wasn’t the first time he’d lost someone with his metaphors…

((Flashback - Small Storage Area, Deck 4, USS Newcastle, Stardate 23707.21))

Ukinix: ::Looking back up at Blake:: Everything I put in my report, it’s accurate. But everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves.  It’ll be interesting to see if a leopard can change its spots.

There was a frown from his XO.

Blake: A what changes it's spots?

“Leopard” maybe wasn’t a well-known animal outside of Earth.  But surely a “Tiger” was?

Ukinix: Tiger changes its stripes?

Blake: Are you making up fictional words to form a metaphor?

((End Flashback))

While Tri’lea caught the general meaning of Ukinix’s words – that he wished to discuss an uncomfortable topic openly – she found the metaphoric obfuscation rather whimsical. He truly was a man of earth, by the way he spoke of elephants and tickets, rather than simply getting to the point.

oO At least he isn’t boring… Oo she thought, rather hoping that they could, indeed, be friends at the end of this.

Ukinix: Um… Stating the bleeding obvious?

Polgonz: Ah. I see. ::Sitting up straight again and placing her hands on the table in apparent anticipation:: Well, I am ready to hear what the elephant has to say about it.

She felt something in Wil which she couldn’t quite put a finger on. Something was making him uncomfortable - so much so that, despite attempting to drive the conversation to the ‘point’ he wished to make, he instead changed the topic.

Ukinix: Hmm. How about a drink.  ::Looking around:: You into wine?

Before Tri’lea could answer, Wil raised his arm above his head to get the attention of a nearby female Andorian waiter.

Tri’lea responded, first with a cocked eyebrow as Wil summoned the waiter, then with a simple enthusiastic affirmation:

Polgonz: Absolutely.

Waiter: ::Arriving at the table:: Yes, Commander.

Ukinix: Um - ::Smiling, scrunched up nose:: Wil’s fine.  Do you have any cab savs on your list?

Waiter: Certainly, Commander, we have a 2390 Terran *Cabernet Sauvignon*, a premium selection from Earth’s Swan Valley.

Ukinix: Sounds perfect, one of those, thanks mate.

Waiter: ::slight nod of head:: At once, Commander.

Ukinix: Nah, it’s “Wil”… oops, she’s gone.  ::Looking at Tri’lea:: Sorry, where were we?

Tri’lea sat back and crossed her arms, but maintained a teasing smile.

Polgonz: I believe you were about to tell me what exactly it is about my mother’s dying wishes that you object to.

There was a moment of silence before Wil finally responded.

Ukinix: Mmm. oO Awkies Oo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Amity Outpost - Starfleet Ops, Level 1, Copernicus Center | 239901.02, Morning - Continued))

Keehani: ::Arms out:: ~~ This room is Amity’s “center of the Four”.  Welcome to Ops, Daughter Polgonz. ~~

Keehani stood in front of the holographic display of Amity that was at the center of ops, tapping at a nearby console.

Keehani: ::Excited tone:: ~~ I was taught a few days ago how to use this.  I feel dangerous. ~~

The Ambassadorial Aide flicked through different schematic displays of the Outpost, each showing varying colours and labels depending on the context.  With each beep, Keehani seemed to become more pleased with herself.

Keehani: ~~Energy consumption… Tactical status… Live Population Distribution - notice the large amount of people still in the habitat ring after last night’s festivities... ~~

Tri’lea watched as Keehani adjusted the settings on the readout, the display shifting to match her descriptions. Having spent much of her childhood and youth aboard various starships and space stations herself, Tri’lea enjoyed learning about ships’ systems – though perhaps her enjoyment stemmed from the comfort and certainty that such complete control allowed.

Polgonz: ~~ Impressive. It seems as though your operations team has been busy… ::Pointing:: What’s this one? ~~

One more tap of the console brought up a curious display.  “Mind-Reading Second Cousins”.  A single callout with the label “Ukinix, K” extended out from the skeletal representation of Amity from Level 1 of Copernicus Center.

Polgonz: ::Grinning:: ~~ I can think of a few uses for this one. ::Giving Keehani an amused look:: Very practical. ~~

A look at the console showed that the display was something very recently created by someone with the name “Ukinix, W”.

Keehani turned up the side of her mouth, coupled with an otherwise neutral expression.

Keehani:  ~~ My cousin has an odd sense of humour. ~~

Tri’lea crossed her arms and laughed easily. Something about the First Secretary’s consternation at the harmless prank reminded Tri’lea of her own mother.

oO What would the galaxy do without serious women? Oo

Polgonz: ::Still chuckling:: ~~ Well, he must have a soft spot for you. Nobody knows how to irritate us like those we love, do they? ~~

Keehani: ::Slight eye roll and smirk:: ~~ I think he just loves to irritate. ~~

Polgonz: ~~ I suppose I’ve been lucky in that area of life. I have no one around to irritate me. ~~

It was clear that Tri’lea’s comment reminded the First Secretary of the pressing matter that had brought the Betazed Royal to the station in the first place. The tone of their conversation changed - subtly, but it changed - developing a sudden professional reservation once more. Still, Keehani was very cordial. Tri’lea felt her easy smile begin to slowly fade.

Keehani: ~~ So.  Tell me.  Are you excited about getting married! ~~

Part of Keehani was a little bit jealous of Ceciri Ariadust.  The daughter in waiting was attractive, but then again noble genes always seemed to be good - which, upon reflection, made her blush a little.

The question, and Keehani’s evident bashfulness, led Tri’lea to look away – back at the holographic display of the outpost. She didn’t want to make the First Secretary uncomfortable.

Polgonz: ~~ I think the word ‘anxious’ might be more fitting. I feel some excitement, yes… But it’s certainly unexpected. I wasn’t anticipating to have to fight for my title. ~~

Keehani: ~~ Well.  ::Smiling:: It’s an easier path than mine to become a noble.  I say you should embrace it. ~~

Polgonz: ~~ True. I don’t envy the fight that you have ahead of you, Keehani… ~~

Keehani just gave Tri’lea a slow, exaggerated, resigned shrug.  She was a fighter, and the fight didn’t phase her.  It was losing which she most feared…

Tri’lea took a step away from the center of the Ops room and over towards the large windows which looked down on the station below. As she looked out, she continued.

Polgonz: ~~ It’s no secret that our Houses are looked down upon by the others. While the Twentieth House are seen as newcomers, illegitimate in the eyes of the more elite and old-fashioned, we control vast territories on and off-Betazed. The Ninth House, while lacking in land and power in the courts, is an old and well-established line. ::Looking to Keehani:: It seems to me our Houses compliment one another. ~~

Keehani turned to look at Tri’lea.

Keehani: ~~ Are you suggesting you’d support me during my petition?  ::Smiling:: That’s a friendly thing to do. ~~

Tri’lea turned then and reached out, taking Keehani’s hands in hers.

Polgonz: ~~ Keehani, I’d like to be more than just friends… I’d like to be allies. ~~

TBC (In Part 2)

===

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Starfleet attaché and First Officer

Amity Outpost

V239511WU0

First Secretary Keehani Ukinix

Amity Outpost

Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets

V239511WU0

Tri'lea Doyoxo Polgonz

Daughter Ascendant,

Twentieth House of Betazed