Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Out There On The Ice

Wil Ukinix

May 4, 2022, 6:16:33 AM5/4/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Miombo – Flight Deck))

Ukinix: Well now that we have those scans, let’s head to the nearest star in the greater nebula.  From what I recall, it’s even more boring than our solar nebula.  Ensign Iko, set a course, maximum warp.  I understand we can hit warp five point one-one with the new upgrades.

Reade: Ooo. Warp 5.1, thats pretty good.

Ukinix: ::To Iko:: Engage!

Out of the front window, the stars turned into lines as the ship went to warp.  Wil sat up in his chair too quickly.  The picnic stool rocked slightly backwards, enough for Wil to fall with it.  He could sense that Bec was torn between concern and amusement.

Iko: ::chuckling:: Com- commander?!

Reade: Woah! ::laughing:: Good one Bec!

Ensign: This is great.

Lying on his back and looking up at the scout’s ceiling with his legs in the air, he called out to the crew.

Ukinix: Well I can report they’ve upgraded the carpet too.  It’s quite comfy.  ::Moment of pause:: Are we there yet?

Iko: Dropping out of warp... now. How the NX-01 got through with this being their top speed is beyond me...

Reade: Haha, I really want to know how people back in the 21st century were ok with their airplanes going 650KM/h.

Ensign: Agree with Bec. This is slow compared to what some other Starfleet vessels can do.

Iko: So, currently, ::trying to hold in a laugh:: the only improvement this shuttle could have is... another chair.

Reade: I do agree!

Ensign: Same here!

Ukinix: ::Still lying on ground looking at ceiling:: Nah, it’s alright down here.  It’s not the first time I’ve had to sit on the floor as a Starfleet officer.

Iko: Hold on.

On the ground he heard footsteps, before he saw Bec walking past him.  Eventually he rolled to his side and started to get up, just as the Ensign returned with a new, fancier, replicated folding chair.

Reade: That is great! I think I need one now ::laughing::

Ensign: Hmm

Ukinix: ::Gasp:: Bec!  This is awesome!

Iko: ::holding chair out:: Delivery to Commander Ukinix.

Wil unfolded the chair with one movement, then flung it down on the ground before sitting back in it like he was king of the star system they were in.

Reade: That is a great looking chair. We need those on Amity.

Ensign: ::Confused:: I agree.

Ukinix: ::Rubbing arms of chair:: This is a beauty, Bec.

Iko: An authentic Aussie camping chair. Perfect for sitting and fishing or stargazing. Complete with an old bottle opener I only just realized was there...

Upon hearing the word “bottle opener”, Wil leaned forward and started looking around for said opener like it was some sort of emergency.  He then made his way back to the replicator, and requested a capped bottle full of liquid.

Reade: Great thinking Bec, that will keep Wil happy.

Ensign: Agree

With a smile, the First Officer put the bottle into the bottle opener.  With a “kcccssht!” the lid came off, and Wil sat back in his chair.

Ukinix: ::Taking swig from bottle:: Ahhh.  ::Looking at others:: It’s lemonade, by the way, we’re on duty.

Iko: ::sitting back down in a built in chair:: So, whats this ball of plasma like?

Reade: Well I do want to go into that plasma ball. What else do we need to test?

Ensign: Sensors are still good.

Ukinix: You want to go *in* to a plasma ball?  You surprise me sometimes, Scotty.

Reade: Can we give the shields and phasers a test, with you permission Wil?

Ukinix: Sure, why not.  ::Shrug:: We just need to find something to test them on.  Set a course for this system’s Oort cloud, we’ll test phasers on a bit of ice or two.

Iko: Response

Reade: Whoot! That is going to be really fun. I have all systems ready for testing.

Iko: Response

Reade: Whenever you are ready.

Ukinix: ::To Bec:: Punch it, Ensign.

Iko: Response

((150,000 AU from system’s star – some time later))

The Miombo was now moving towards a large group of icy bodies that were orbiting the now (relatively speaking) distant star, which was 2.5 light years from the Amity system.

Ukinix: We want something not too big, not too small.  ::To Ensign:: Ensign, can you find a candidate on scanners?

Ensign: There is a larger one, two-hundred thousand kilometres, bearing one-nine-five.  It measures ::error tone from console:: - there’s unknown interference, I can’t get an exact size, sir.

Ukinix: Interference?  ::To Reade:: Scotty, run a diagnostics check.

Reade: Response

Ukinix: Hmm.  ::Shrug:: Oh well, Bec take us in, let’s have a look.

Iko: Response

Once they arrived at the group of icy bodies, the largest one came into view.  And it was unfeasibly large.

Ensign: Sir, I’m detecting a small, unmanned vessel of some kind orbiting the body.  It’s sending out an interference signal – it’s a large probe.  Approximately 120 metres in diameter.  It’s solid inside.

Iko/Reade: Response

Ukinix: Then there’s only one thing for it.  EVA suits on everyone, you’re beaming to the surface of the probe.

Iko/Reade: Response

Tags/TBC!

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Starfleet attaché and First Officer