Lt JG Wil Ukinix - Trouble

Danny Lee

May 1, 2019, 11:10:19 PM5/1/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Captains Ready Room, USS Veritas))

::Wil stood at Rahaman’s desk next to Jansen and Geoffrey, hands behind his back.  He could sense that the captain was *not* happy, and they were all about to cop it.  His captain spun the monitor on her desk around, and on it he saw the engineering lab, with his Chief wearing a helmet.  Wil felt his jaw clench as parts of a song he recalled entered his head…::

Ukinix: oO I should-a ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-huuuuun…. On the doub-le… Think I’m in trou-ble… Oo

Teller: ::over recording:: //This is test number twenty of Stinger, our first test with a live target.  This will serve as part of the certification record for the purposes of Security Chief Kelrods approval, so I’ve volunteered to be the...victim...dummy...guinea pig for this particular exercise.//

::Wil closed his eyes.  He refused to watch it.  He scrunched his nose up though when he heard the recording of his Chief speaking some weird language.::

Teller: //FALLHHHASLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!//

::When the recording went silent, Wil opened his eyes, to see the unimpressed glare of Roshanara.::

Rahman: I'm not going to ask what the three of you were thinking because you clearly weren't. And I'm not just talking about Mr. Teller.

Teller: Ma'am, I accept full responsibility for the incident.  Lt. Ukinix and Counselor Orrey took no hazardous actions without my explicit approval.

Orrey: Response

Ukinix: ::Sarcastically under his breath:: Oh, this is awesome.

Rahman: Sit down, all of you.

::Wil slowly turned to sit, but awkwardly couldn’t work out what to do when Teller and Jansen had already claimed the only two seats and were in the process of sitting in them.  He looked around and eyed the small couch along the well.::

Ukinix: oO Well, if I’m going to get chewed out, it may as well be in comfort- Oo

Rahman: You can sit on the floor.

Ukinix: ::Quickly:: Aye sir.

::Will did a 360, like a dog would when looking for the best way to orient itself to find the most comfortable configuration to sit in.  He then lowered himself down on his backside, and awkwardly put his hands behind him, bending his knees.  In that moment, he had the realisation that sitting like that would look too relaxed and could be interpreted as insubordination.  So, he quickly and awkwardly leaned forward, crossed his legs, and clasped his fingers together as he put his hands in his lap, and looked up at the captain – like he was in kindergarten again.::

Rahman: That has to be one of the most reckless things I've witnessed. And I've been around for a long time, gentlemen.

Teller: Respectfully ma'am, our iterative testing prior to that ::Teller gestured towards the paused recording::  certified I was in no mortal danger.  As medical personnel, namely Counselor Orrey, were on hand, I felt the risk to my person was minimal and justified.

Orrey: Response

Ukinix:  Reckless is correct. ::Raising his palms, shaking head conceitedly::  I’ve got nothin’.

Rahman: You have thirty seconds to explain to me why I shouldn't assign you all to plasma conduit scrub duty for the next six months.

Orrey: Response

::Wil closed his eyes and shook his head, as he gathered his thoughts.  He wasn’t impressed by having his Chief shot at when he first suggested it, but he was present and part of the test.  He wasn’t about to drop his colleagues in deep trouble.::

Ukinix: Captain, I made it clear during the test that I didn’t think it was a good idea.  But I should have been more assertive and said “no” and not let it happen.  I apologise.

::Once the words came out, he felt he didn’t do a good job of owning it. He could sense Geoffrey’s embarrassment, and Wil felt bad.::

Teller: Captain, I apologize sincerely if you feel I took an unacceptable risk and again ask to take full and sole responsibility for the outcome.  I do not feel this incident should reflect poorly on the Counselor or Lt. Ukinix, both of whom are on record ::Teller again glanced towards the recording:: objecting to me volunteering.  I sincerely believed I was acting in the best interest of the ship by proceeding as I did and stand by the work we performed.

Orrey:  Response

Ukinix:  ::Cheekily, To Jansen:: Actually, I called him a “fool”.  Twice.

::Wil’s eyes opened wide as he realised he should keep his mouth shut, before he snapped his head back to look at the Captain.::

Ukinix: ::Raising palm:: Sorry.  ::Dropping palm.::  I mean - ::raising palm::  sorry, *Captain*. ::Dropping palm::

Rahman:  Response

::Furrowing brow::

Ukinix: ::Confused:: Sorry, who?

Teller: Response