Lt. Robin Hopper: As Good As New

Lt. JG Kivik

Aug 20, 2022, 12:24:45 PM8/20/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – This sim picks up at the end of “Me And I (Part 2)”))

((Amity Outpost – Science & Research Center, Level 21))

Robin watched curiously as Crewman Furahl Ygrix left them in a huff. Kivik, for nir part, seemed to find the entire thing rather funny – if frustrating. Robin deduced that this was likely not the first time a scenario just like this had played out.

Kivik: ::Getting an idea::  You said you’ve got a background in programming, right?

Hopper: ::Placing her hands on her hips::  Sure. I even minored in it at the Academy.

Kivik: ::Pacing in a small loop::  Would you be open to working on a little ‘interdepartmental’ side project? There’s a junior Engineer – Ensign Richards. He’s working on restoring an old shuttle in The Cellar–

Hopper: The Cellar?

Kivik: ::Chuckling::  The old bays below the SRC. Ambassador Vataix has given it the go-ahead and, between you and me, Commander Carter has indicated that we should provide support if possible. After working with him on some final touches here in the SRC, my personal assessment is that Richards needs the outlet.  ::Stopping pacing and smiling mischievously::  He’s a bit of a scamp.

Hopper: A scamp?

Kivik: The man stuck his finger into a puddle of borg nanoprobes.

Hopper: Oh!

Kivik: Anyways, I think he’s been antsy since our last mission. I gather it was pretty hard on him. Maybe you can go down there and see if there’s any helping him?  ::Shrugging::  I’m not sure it isn’t hopeless if Furahl couldn’t figure it out. But who knows?

Hopper: Yeah, of course. Can’t hurt to try, right? I’ll go down there right after the tour is over – unless you have something else for me?

Kivik: That’s fine for today. We have a meeting tomorrow with Lieutenants Wong from Medical and Reade from Engineering to go over some things. But that can wait – you’ll get filled in on everything you need to know there… Speaking of which, let’s move on! You can come back here any time you like. But for now, let’s start at the top level and work our way down to the bottom, hmm?

Hopper: ::Cheerily:: Whatever you say!

As the pair left the Botany lab, heading towards the turbolift, Robin’s thoughts strayed ahead. She wondered if she’d be able to work out whatever programming issue Richards was having. Kivik’s intriguing description of the man – and mysterious reference to an ill-fated ‘last mission’ had her interest piqued… though she figured it would be inappropriate to pry.

All the same, as they stepped into the lift, she couldn’t resist asking at least one more important question.

Hopper: So… This Ensign Richards… Is he cute?

((40 Minutes Later – Amity Outpost, Ancillary Support Section aka “The Cellar”))

After saying her goodbyes to Kivik in Level 1 of the SRC – which, given the high level of security clearance and mystique surrounding the ‘borg tech’ stored there – Robin couldn’t wait to move on. The thought of waiting for a lift alone on that floor gave her the creeps. Stepping into the brightly-lit lift down to the station’s “Cellar”, Robin felt her pulse begin to slow again.

Hopper: ::Urgently:: Down!

The doors whoosed closed and the lift obliged, carrying her down to the “Cellar” below. Hopper felt as though she had just enough time to compose herself before the doors opened into another dimly-lit section – or at least it felt that way after the bright and modern revamped halls of the SRC.

Stepping out of the lift, Robin looked around, but could see no sign of anyone. It was strange – but it was the first moment since arriving on Amity that someone else hadn’t been around.

Hopper: Hello?  ::Pause::  Ensign Richards?

Her voice rang out in the large space, echoing slightly off the walls.

Richards: ::muffled somewhat by the shuttle over him:: Welcome to The Cellar! Give me just a second.

Walking in the direction of the voice, Robin rounded a stack of transport crates and found herself looking at an old hodge-podge shuttle. A man in gold uniform was working underneath it – but she could hardly get a look at him.

Hopper: Lieutenant Robin Hopper, Science Division.  ::Stepping over a pile of twisted cabling::  I take it you’re Ensign Richards?

At last the man set down his tools and slid back out from under the shuttle. He paused for a moment to look her over – long enough for Robin to notice. oO Keep things professional around this one! Oo  she thought to herself, teasingly. She crossed her arms and smiled wryly as he got to his feet and dusted himself off.

Richards: Well, ::wide smile:: hello there.

Hopper: ::Chuckling:: Hi. Nice to meet you.

She extended a hand to shake, but as she did, realized that he had a prosthetic right arm. Its rudimentary design and sharp lines indicated something replicated – possibly some sort of work done ‘in the field’.  She recalled what Kivik had said about the last mission being rough on Richards and swapped hands quickly, offering her left instead.

As the two shook, Richards replied.

Richards: What can I do for you?

Hopper: I hear Crewman Ygrix wasn’t the best lab partner. Kivik asked me to come take a look instead, if you’re willing to let me.

Richards: Response

Hopper: ::Shrugging::  Maybe he’s right about it being hopeless, but I’m willing to try. How about you?

Richards: Response

Hopper: Okay, give me a quick run-down. What is this project, exactly? And, maybe more importantly, what do you need me to do?

Richards: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)