Doctor Jansen Orrey - Medical Approval

Jansen Orrey

May 27, 2022, 11:58:37 AM5/27/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Ikaia’s Office - Medical Centre - Amity Outpost))

Jansen sat the PADD on the desk and sat back in his chair looking across the desk. It was unlikely the only thing that brought him here.

Orrey: What about your outlook, not as the doctor?

Ikaia leaned back in his seat for a moment with a sigh.

Wong: You want to know how I’m handling it, don’t you?

Orrey: Well, that wouldn’t be bad for a place to start.

Wong: If I had to be honest, I hate this. Suribana is one of our top doctors. Seeing her laid up like this is really painful. It hurts.

Orrey: Understandable when you work with someone and get close to them like that.

Wong: I have her transfer papers filled out for the next Starfleet Medical starbase. I know she can get better treatment there than she can here… I know it’s the right thing to do and I’ll have to do it. But I feel like I haven’t been able to do enough for her. A selfish part of me is still telling me to keep trying and to keep her here. That sending her off to the starbase is like throwing in the towel and giving up.

Orrey: Again, that makes sense. Even from the little bit of time I have known you, I can tell you are a heck of a doctor. Surely you have had these sort of cases before haven’t you?

Wong: This isn’t the first time I’ve had someone transferred out. I’ve had to do that for another friend too. It hurt then. But this just feels so much worse and I don’t know why.

Orrey: ::shrugging:: Then don’t.

Wong: Well…. Has this happened to you? I just really want to do the best I can for her. Because how this happened… It's so wrong and unfair. She deserved so much better than this.

Orrey: This is unfortunately not a new situation for officers. On my first posting. ::chuckling a little bit:: on my first day I was posted to Starbase 118, and the crew was coming back from a difficult rescue mission, the Fleet Captain’s wife was in a similar state. As I recall she stayed that way for a good bit of time. ::rubbing the back of his neck:: I don’t remember if she came out of it before was transferred or not…but I do know that she was in the fleet some time later. I remember seeing her name on manifests and reports when I had access to that sort of thing as a counselor and doctor.

Wong: And that’s where I’m torn and I feel like I’m being selfish. On one hand, I know if I transfer her out, she has a good chance at Starfleet Medical. On the other hand, I want to keep trying. I don’t want to give up on her.

Orrey: What I mean to say is Starfleet has the resources. We take care of our own as long as they need it. The balance you need to find I think comes from one of the main aspects of being a doctor. Advocating for our patients. We absolutely have to have our best interest in mind. However, we are our own patients as well. You could send her away if that is the absolute best thing she needs for her health and welfare moving forward. But….if that has a negative impact on you and your ability, as long as her condition doesn’t worsen…::shrug:: Keep her here with her friends and family. We will work together to take care of her.

Wong: I know this is a difficult question - but if you were me, what would you be doing, Doctor?

Orrey: It isn’t so difficult a question actually. Some may have a problem with the closeness of the situation but I think professionally that isn’t any of their business until it starts to hurt the situation.

Wong: I think half the problem is that I’m also really close to the situation. Normally, I’m not so close to a patient. I can keep a professional distance. But every so often, I get a case like this where it’s harder to keep such a professional boundary. I feel this one. It hits hard.

Orrey: What do you want? Not as a doctor alone, but as Ikaia.

Ikaia finally leaned on his desk. His chin resting on his hand.

Wong: I want to find who did this to her and I want to know why they did what they did. I want to protect my team as best as I can. The thing is, even if I did find them, I’m not sure what I’d do. I’m not so sure I’m going to like what I find. Odds are, I won’t.

Orrey: Alright pause on the first part, focus on the second part. Protecting your team.

Wong: What are you suggesting?

Orrey: Part of protecting them is protecting yourself. Sending her away will not erase her from your memory. Likewise if you send her away your focus will be divided. Which is a danger to the team.

Wong: I… I never thought about it that way before. I was so concerned about doing the right thing and trying to be objective that I never factored myself into the equation. I don’t want to erase her from my memory. I just wanted to do the right thing. I just never counted myself in that right thing.

Orrey: I know I was bothered when Raissa was in the same state and it was up to me to solely take care of our daughter before I ever knew she was. Did it prevent me from doing my work? No, but it did distract me.

Wong: And distractions are problematic things. They take away attention especially when it’s needed the most. Actually, it can be quite dangerous.

Orrey: Very much so.

Wong: Well… I want to thank you, doctor, for everything you’ve done for me today. You’ve really helped me.

Orrey: Eh, I have never been that skilled with the regenerator.

Wong: What I needed was clarity. In all my focus on trying to do the right thing, I had completely ignored what was also the right thing for me.

Orrey: ::smiling across the desk:: And what was that?

Wong: Then I know what my answer is. Suribana stays here.

Orrey: Inspired. Besides there are enough of us that we can all work together to make sure there is no loss of flow in Sickbay if you decide to relax and recover yourself.

Wong: Response?

Orrey: Well! ::uncrossing his legs and standing up:: If that is everything I will let you get around to deleting that medical transfer form then.

Jansen gathered up his bag and nodded back to the other doctor with a smile.

Orrey: I know it is old hat at this point, but I always like to remind folks. Starfleet is a team and a family, ever shifting and ever growing. Out there we can’t always do right by everyone, but in here we always need to do our best by each other. ::shrugging:: Anyway. You have a good rest of your day.

Wong: Response?

Jansen nodded his head and headed back out into the station with a little bit more of a smile than before. It was no secret he enjoyed his medical work, and helping people was always an easy choice for him to make.

END

Jansen Orrey MD, M.Sc
Envoy(Lt. Cmdr.), Federation Diplomatic Corps.
Counselor for Culture and Press Affairs
Deputy Chief of Mission, Amity Outpost
O238506JO0