Where can we get local grains. . . like quinoa?

11 görüntüleme
İlk okunmamış mesaja atla

Jenny

okunmadı,
28 Eyl 2010 02:20:3728.09.2010
alıcı SB Eat Local Challenge
Anyone know? Or brown rice or millet, etc? But especially quinoa, my
fave!

Thanks!

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

okunmadı,
28 Eyl 2010 14:41:1028.09.2010
alıcı SB Eat Local Challenge
That's a tough one.

You can buy whole wheat flour from the Solvang Pie Company at some of
the area farmers markets: http://www.solvangpieco.com. They also sell
whole wheat pasta made from their wheat.

Also Huasna Valley Farm (located in San Luis Obispo County) is going
to start offering their wheat locally at drop off points in Santa
Barbara: http://www.huasnavalleyfarm.com

Lundberg Family Farms is in Northern California and they offer a whole
line of rice, rice cakes, rice pasta, etc.

I don't know of anyone who is growing quinoa... anyone have any idea?

-Krista

Shelly Cobb

okunmadı,
28 Eyl 2010 16:48:3228.09.2010
alıcı sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
Marshall from Pacifica's Organic Garden grows quinoa on his farm from time to time, see the attached discussion thread. Sounds hard and not really suited for our climate.

Marshall gave a permaculture presentation on "Home-Scale Grain Growing in SB" but unfortunately I had to miss it. About 40 people attended. The 2nd attachment contains the notes from Linda Buzzell.

Here's an article about a farmer who used to grow grain and amaranth in SB
http://www.santamariatimes.com/business/local/article_6b525893-7d44-5bc8-bbdd-b94a3a2fe768.html

Shelly

Shelly Cobb
Edible Santa Barbara
Office Phone (805) 617-0359
Office Fax (208) 445-6242
Cell (805) 452-1440
she...@ediblesantabarbara.com
www.ediblesantabarbara.com

Shelly Cobb
Edible San Luis Obispo
Office Phone (805) 617-0359
Office Fax (208) 445-6242
Mobile (805) 452-1440
she...@ediblesanluisobispo.com
www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom Part 2.doc
Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom.doc

Shelly

okunmadı,
29 Eyl 2010 17:16:5729.09.2010
alıcı SB Eat Local Challenge
I spoke with Kevin from Huasna Valley Farm in SLO County yesterday,
and I asked them about quinoa. Huasna is currently only growing wheat
but they are interested in growing quinoa, perhaps next year.

John DeRosier from With the Grain in SLO County is already growing
quinoa, but only for seed this year. They will probably grow a crop
for the public next year as well! I have a call into him and will
update everyone with more information.

Shelly

On Sep 28, 1:48 pm, Shelly Cobb <cobb.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marshall from Pacifica's Organic Garden grows quinoa on his farm from time
> to time, see the attached discussion thread. Sounds hard and not really
> suited for our climate.
>
> Marshall gave a permaculture presentation on "Home-Scale Grain Growing in
> SB" but unfortunately I had to miss it. About 40 people attended. The 2nd
> attachment contains the notes from Linda Buzzell.
>
> Here's an article about a farmer who used to grow grain and amaranth in SBhttp://www.santamariatimes.com/business/local/article_6b525893-7d44-5...
>
> Shelly
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara <
>

> kri...@ediblesantabarbara.com> wrote:
> > That's a tough one.
>
> > You can buy whole wheat flour from the Solvang Pie Company at some of
> > the area farmers markets:http://www.solvangpieco.com. They also sell
> > whole wheat pasta made from their wheat.
>
> > Also Huasna Valley Farm (located in San Luis Obispo County) is going
> > to start offering their wheat locally at drop off points in Santa
> > Barbara:http://www.huasnavalleyfarm.com
>
> > Lundberg Family Farms is in Northern California and they offer a whole
> > line of rice, rice cakes, rice pasta, etc.
>
> > I don't know of anyone who is growing quinoa... anyone have any idea?
>
> > -Krista
>
> > On Sep 27, 11:20 pm, Jenny <redak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Anyone know?  Or brown rice or millet, etc?  But especially quinoa, my
> > > fave!
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > --
>
> --
> Shelly Cobb
> Edible Santa Barbara
> Office Phone (805) 617-0359
> Office Fax (208) 445-6242
> Cell (805) 452-1440
> she...@ediblesantabarbara.comwww.ediblesantabarbara.com
>
> Shelly Cobb
> Edible San Luis Obispo
> Office Phone (805) 617-0359
> Office Fax (208) 445-6242
> Mobile (805) 452-1440
> she...@ediblesanluisobispo.comwww.ediblesanluisobispo.com
>
>  Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom Part 2.doc
> 299KViewDownload
>
>  Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom.doc
> 51KViewDownload

Jenny

okunmadı,
30 Eyl 2010 22:56:2830.09.2010
alıcı SB Eat Local Challenge
Thanks all of you for your responses! Looks like we're out of luck
when it comes to quinoa. Though I don't eat a whole lot of grains,
I'm going to include some rice from Lundberg Family Farms in Northern
Cali, though I'll probably only have it a couple times. I wonder
about potatoes.
I'm trying to think if we get local potatoes at the farmers markets,
and corn. Some starches are an important part of a balanced diet I
think, so I'm thinking where I can get them from besides what's in the
greener veggies.

I'm so glad I'm doing this, thanks to everyone who is participating.
Can't wait to see you at Sol Food Saturday!

Jenny

Nancy Oster

okunmadı,
1 Eki 2010 11:23:091.10.2010
alıcı sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
Shawn McMahon of Out of Step Farms has been selling potatoes at the
Sunday market. He also sells at the Friday Montecito market.

-Nancy

Local Harvest Main

okunmadı,
1 Eki 2010 11:22:201.10.2010
alıcı sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com, sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
Tutti frutti has yukon gold potatoes and corn. They attend the
tuesday and saturday fm. Lane farm also has corn chemical free.

Sent from my iPhone

Marco Fanelli

okunmadı,
1 Eki 2010 11:27:101.10.2010
alıcı sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
Jenny,

We just got potatoes last night from Out of Step Farms at the Goleta Farmers Market. They're certainly going to be a bigger part of our October diet! In fact, our dinner on Day 1 will be a stove-top scramble of those potatoes, sausage from our local beef (featured in Edible SB), and Kale and Bell peppers from the garden. I'd love to hear about other people's local-sourced meals..... I'm afraid we're going to run out of ideas in a week!

Mark

> >  Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom Part 2.doc
> > 299KViewDownload
>
> >  Grains in SB - Marshall Wisdom.doc
> > 51KViewDownload

Tümünü yanıtla