Sahana Assamese Translation

Ajay Kumar

Apr 24, 2009, 2:18:58 AM4/24/09
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding message:

Hi Ajay ,

I did demonostrated the translation steps to the volunteers . However
would need your help to get responses for the following queries

1. Is there an option to look at the Assamese version of the SAHANA
while we translate . Now when we transalate we type the Assames word
in English - Eg for Date we type "Tarikh' . Our question is can we see
the word Tarikh in Assames language . This is to ensure proper
translation for the language .

2.How do Suggestion  & Submission process happens  .

3. Getting "ERRNO 13" while we aaccept as a Maintainer - However , the
word is getting accepted .

4. Sanghita Mahanta (user -sanghita) can see both "Suggest" & "Submit"
buttons . She has been set as "User"

Thanks
Shemanti Sen

--
Best Regards,

Ajay Kumar

I Blog at: http://www.ajuonline.net
The Unofficial Official Sahana Blog! - http://talksahana.com/

Ajay Kumar

Apr 24, 2009, 2:20:18 AM4/24/09
to Sahana Localization
Hi Shemanti,

> I did demonostrated the translation steps to the volunteers . However
> would need your help to get responses for the following queries
>
> 1. Is there an option to look at the Assamese version of the SAHANA
> while we translate . Now when we transalate we type the Assames word
> in English - Eg for Date we type "Tarikh' . Our question is can we see
> the word Tarikh in Assames language . This is to ensure proper
> translation for the language .

Assamese version of Sahana - Good question: We can install that on the
demo site, but once there is significant amount of translation done.
We can help you with that.
What you are doing is transliteration, that too in English language.
Please check out the following resources if that helps: I have tried
to involve expert Assamese l10n guys on the mailing list who might be
able to answer and help you out more.

How to type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_complex_text_support_for_Indic_scripts
http://xobdo.net/dic09/help/unicode.php

Both of these questions and all queries similar to them should be
asked on:
We have a larger expert audience there to help out. And will also
enable faster response, just in case I am not able to :-)

You can, yourself join that list or ask everyone involved and shoot
any queries you have there. That list is dedicated to help out new
volunteers get started with translation.
Please do that :)

> 2.How do Suggestion & Submission process happens .
>
> 3. Getting "ERRNO 13" while we aaccept as a Maintainer - However , the
> word is getting accepted .

I will check this with Dominic, the server admin, if the server is
having some issues. Again, a question for our mailing list.

> 4. Sanghita Mahanta (user -sanghita) can see both "Suggest" & "Submit"
> buttons . She has been set as "User"

For now, users can just press "Suggest" Will look into this issue and
get it sorted.

Ajay Kumar

Apr 24, 2009, 2:21:27 AM4/24/09
to Sahana Localization
Response from Dominic, Adding for list archives purpose.

Hello AJ,

1. Error 13 is a file permission problem, I corrected that.

2. I do not understand question 1 - why do they type "Tarikh" instead
of the
Assamese word (in Assamese script)? If they type "Tarikh", then they
will
get "Tarikh", nothing else.

3. Oh yes, I assigned all "Users" the "translate" permission. However,
if they
do not want somebody to have "translate" permission, they can simply
uncheck
it, because their maintainers have "admin" permission.

Regards,
Dominic

Dominic

Apr 24, 2009, 3:32:36 PM4/24/09
to Sahana Localization
Hello Shemanti,

To answer your questions:

1. Is there an option to look at the Assamese version of the SAHANA
while we translate . Now when we transalate we type the Assames word
in English - Eg for Date we type "Tarikh' . Our question is can we see
the word Tarikh in Assames language . This is to ensure proper
translation for the language.

I can't get the sense of the english transliteration, you can type
Assamese characters directly. If your operating system or web browser
does not support this properly, please make use of Firefox and the
belonging plugin - you could consult Gilbert Raja (he's on this list)
to learn how to do this.

2.How do Suggestion & Submission process happens .

"Suggest" saves the entered string into a separate suggestions file,
"Submit" writes it finally into the PO file. You can have multiple
"Suggest"ions for the same original string, but only one "Submit"ted
translation. The sense of this is, everybody can send in suggestions,
then your authorized translators can "Review" them and "Submit" them
to the official translation (with our without correction). While you
translate (either "Translate All" or "Quick Translate"), Pootle will
show you the untranslated original strings together will all
suggestions - so, you may simply confirm one of the suggestions (you
can also enter something else, if all the suggestions are wrong).

Since this is - in principle - an unnecessary workflow complication
here (you're a trusted team), all your translators have been assigned
permission to "Submit". However, if you want to change a submitted
translation, you can do this at any later time - simply submit another
translation and it will overwrite the prior submission.

Interesting feature is to use "Submit" together with the "Fuzzy"
checkbox. This will submit the translation into the final PO file, but
mark it as "fuzzy", meaning it needs further review. If you later use
the "Quick translate" command, Pootle will show the "fuzzy"
translations for review as well.

3. Getting "ERRNO 13" while we aaccept as a Maintainer - However , the
word is getting accepted .

Sorry for that, I corrected the file permissions so that this run-time
error should not appear anymore.

4. Sanghita Mahanta (user -sanghita) can see both "Suggest" & "Submit"
buttons . She has been set as "User"

See under 2.

Kind regards,
Dominic