Sage Crash Report. -- help please !

Bharathwaj Palvannan

Feb 15, 2022, 9:43:20 PM2/15/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Please help me! I am unable to get Sagemath working and I really don’t know what’s happening. I recently got a new laptop. This is a macOS operating system (Version 12.1 Monterey). I installed SageMath using the dmg file on the Sagemath website. I had already sent a crash report some weeks ago but I received no response. I literally just typed in sage on the mac terminal and the app crashed.

Thank you.

Best regards

Sage_crash_report[209] copy.txt

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 16, 2022, 2:24:30 AM2/16/22
to sage-support

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022, 02:43 'Bharathwaj Palvannan' via sage-support, <sage-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi,

Please help me! I am unable to get Sagemath working and I really don’t know what’s happening. I recently got a new laptop. This is a macOS operating system (Version 12.1 Monterey). I installed SageMath using the dmg file on the Sagemath website. I had already sent a crash report some weeks ago but I received no response. I literally just typed in sage on the mac terminal and the app crashed.

there are a number of such files on the website, you need the right one.

Please post the link to the dmg you downloaded,
and whether you have M1 mac or Intel mac.

Thank you.

Best regards

slelievre

Feb 16, 2022, 12:45:49 PM2/16/22
to sage-support
2022-02-16, 02:43:20 UTC, Bharathwaj Palvannan:

> I had already sent a crash report some weeks ago
> but I received no response.

This question of yours from 2017 was not answered:

(hopefully you managed to solve that problem since then?)
but for your recent crash report there were two responses:

https://groups.google.com/g/sage-support/c/BadgRDXNSbY

To install Sage on your Mac, I suggest using the
"sagemath-forge" Conda distribution, following
the steps described here:

Marc Culler

Mar 4, 2022, 8:08:02 AM3/4/22
to sage-support
In case this problem has not been addressed ... at the bottom of your crash report it says:
'/usr/lib/libgfortran.5.dylib' (no such file)

That means that you are using an early prelease version of the SageMath app for M1 systems.  This problem was fixed in the release version.  So just download and installing the dmg file for the released version will prevent this crash.

- Marc

Bharathwaj Palvannan

Apr 29, 2022, 12:05:31 AM4/29/22
to sage-support
Hi,

Thank you, everyone. Sorry for my late response: I wasn't sure how things worked and I hadn't realized that I needed to check the google groups page.

I managed to install Sage on my laptop, but I am not really sure what worked. It was just a lot of trial and error and going through the ASKSAGE StackExchange. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to repeat the successful installation again.

If I remember correctly, the instructions given here
really helped. And this seems to match the suggestion of Samuel Lelièvre. Thank you!

Regarding my 2017 question, it was not answered, but I don't remember the motivation behind that question anymore, so in a way it's okay now!

Thanks again.