status of documatic?

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Mar 31, 2010, 12:51:51 AM3/31/10
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking at the last post about documatic
(http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-reports/browse_thread/thread/3b02bad64fd4f57f),
and it isnt even clear documatic's at right now. I'm searching on
github - but I dont see anything regarding documatic. I'm looking at
http://code.rubyreports.org/ - and 3 of the 4 links given ("wiki",
"bugs", and "feed") result in a 404, while the other 1 of the 4 links
("source") asks for a password.

So: is documatic still being maintained now? Where can I find
documentation about how to use it wrt ruports? The Ruport Book doesn't
cover this at all, and only mentions documatic in passing.

-jf

and if you use the program, he is your master."
--Richard Stallman

"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
-- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

kal...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2010, 2:00:37 AM4/1/10
to Ruby Reports
I haven't been actively using either documatic or ruports for a while
but I still get the digests. So while I can't answer your question, I
did see this announced somewhere recently:

http://github.com/kremso/serenity

It seems to duplicate the functionality of documatic, but is actively
maintained.

Kalin

On Mar 30, 9:51 pm, "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the last post about documatic

> (http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-reports/browse_thread/thread/3b02...),

> and it isnt even clear documatic's at right now. I'm searching on

> github - but I dont see anything regarding documatic. I'm looking athttp://code.rubyreports.org/- and 3 of the 4 links given ("wiki",

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim

Apr 1, 2010, 2:16:48 AM4/1/10
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, kal...@gmail.com <kal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't been actively using either documatic or ruports for a while
> but I still get the digests.  So while I can't answer your question, I
> did see this announced somewhere recently:
>
> http://github.com/kremso/serenity
>
> It seems to duplicate the functionality of documatic, but is actively
> maintained.

thanks. I have seen that - and will most likely be using that if i
dont get a proper reply here/dont see any real update regarding
documatic. I do wonder, though, with the point of keeping the
documatic reference in http://code.rubyreports.org/ if those links are
going to be so dead, or protected...

Andrew France

Apr 1, 2010, 2:22:56 AM4/1/10
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
On 01/04/10 17:16, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, kal...@gmail.com<kal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't been actively using either documatic or ruports for a while
>> but I still get the digests. So while I can't answer your question, I
>> did see this announced somewhere recently:
>>
>> http://github.com/kremso/serenity
>>
>> It seems to duplicate the functionality of documatic, but is actively
>> maintained.
>>

> thanks. I have seen that - and will most likely be using that if i
> dont get a proper reply here/dont see any real update regarding
> documatic. I do wonder, though, with the point of keeping the
> documatic reference in http://code.rubyreports.org/ if those links are
> going to be so dead, or protected..

I've never touched Documatic and have no idea about its status. But
since those links do not work anymore I will remove them. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Regards,
Andrew

Maxim Kulkin

Apr 1, 2010, 3:41:12 AM4/1/10
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
On 01.04.2010, at 10:16, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, kal...@gmail.com <kal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I haven't been actively using either documatic or ruports for a while
>> but I still get the digests. So while I can't answer your question, I
>> did see this announced somewhere recently:
>>
>> http://github.com/kremso/serenity
>>
>> It seems to duplicate the functionality of documatic, but is actively
>> maintained.
>>

> thanks. I have seen that - and will most likely be using that if i
> dont get a proper reply here/dont see any real update regarding
> documatic. I do wonder, though, with the point of keeping the
> documatic reference in http://code.rubyreports.org/ if those links are
> going to be so dead, or protected...

I have written a library to generate ODF spreadsheets programmatically:

http://github.com/maximkulkin/spreadsheet

I want to integrate it with Ruport, although it requires changing the API: Ruport requires that you have a start / end API while my library uses blocks.

egypt

Apr 5, 2010, 6:41:30 PM4/5/10
to Ruby Reports

On Apr 1, 12:22 am, Andrew France <andrew+li...@avito.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/04/10 17:16, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, kal...@gmail.com<kal...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> >> I haven't been actively using either documatic or ruports for a while
> >> but I still get the digests.  So while I can't answer your question, I
> >> did see this announced somewhere recently:
>
> >>http://github.com/kremso/serenity
>
> >> It seems to duplicate the functionality of documatic, but is actively
> >> maintained.
>
> > thanks. I have seen that - and will most likely be using that if i
> > dont get a proper reply here/dont see any real update regarding
> > documatic. I do wonder, though, with the point of keeping the
> > documatic reference inhttp://code.rubyreports.org/if those links are

> > going to be so dead, or protected..
>
> I've never touched Documatic and have no idea about its status. But
> since those links do not work anymore I will remove them. Thanks for
> pointing it out.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

It looks like all of those links -- not just the ones for documatic --
are broken. Every link to 'source' is 403, and every link to 'wiki',
'bugs', and 'feed' are 404. A subversion checkout I did a couple of
weeks ago now wants a password to update. Also, no one has been in
the freenode #ruport channel for the week or so that I've been idling
there except for a GitHub bot. Has the project moved completely to
github? Was there any content on the wiki and will it come back?

Thanks,
James

Gregory Brown

Apr 5, 2010, 7:51:15 PM4/5/10
to Ruby Reports
> It looks like all of those links -- not just the ones for documatic --
> are broken.  Every link to 'source' is 403, and every link to 'wiki',
> 'bugs', and 'feed' are 404.  A subversion checkout I did a couple of
> weeks ago now wants a password to update.  Also, no one has been in
> the freenode #ruport channel for the week or so that I've been idling
> there except for a GitHub bot.  Has the project moved completely to
> github?  Was there any content on the wiki and will it come back?

I stopped paying for the account. Everything Ruport related is now on
github (including the website) and is maintained by Andrew France.
Documatic was never officially supported by us, and given that its
maintainer is no longer around, I think it's more-or-less a dead
project.

I suggest someone forking it and putting it on github, so that it
can survive a bit.

Sorry for the lack of communication here folks, it's hard enough for
me
to keep up with Prawn, so Ruport doesn't get much love from me
anymore.
But for any of the Ruport related resources, Andrew has the keys and
my
full blessings (as well as Mike Milner's) to take Ruport where he sees
fit.

-greg

TuxmAL

Apr 16, 2010, 9:22:03 AM4/16/10
to Ruby Reports
I just forked the documatic project onto Github at http://github.com/TuxmAL/documatic
So anyone can work on it, I have tried to contact urbanus to notify
this fork.
- Antonio Liccardo