Garbage Collection redux

Adam Curry

Feb 28, 2012, 5:13:47 PM2/28/12
to river2
Looping around to this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/river2-users/browse_thread/thread/64e4079bc6c5d526

I have 1 server that runs rivers for several users based on opml
subscription lists.

One of these if my adamfriends.com river.

I started noticing 'slow' news days. But futher inspection showed I
wasn't receiving items from several feeds. There's about 90 feeds that
list alone, so it took a while, possibly weeks for me to catch on that
it was getting worse.

I checked the server and to my horror saw that
config.root.river2.trash was filled with subs I indeed wasn't seeing
items from anymore.

My roots are up to date, so something must be broken, or perhaps the
fix Dave put in place doesn't solve some other problem that is
collecting these feeds as garbage incorrectly.

For now I set config.river2.prefs.flGarbageCollectFeeds to false,
which appears to at least not delete feeds from my list.

I tried testing this with a very small list when the issue first came
up and feeds were not deleted immediately, so I think something else
is hapening, but I do not know where/how to look.

AC

Dave Winer

Feb 29, 2012, 4:02:04 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to take a look at this.

Just want to point out there are other ways for feeds to get into the trash, not just via garbage collection.

And for what it's worth I can imagine things that are more horrifying, like opening a toilet and finding a person down in there laughing at me.

Sorry -- I've been fighting a very bad cold and it makes for weird dreams. :-)

Dave

PS: I'm feeling better.

Adam Curry

Feb 29, 2012, 4:05:19 PM2/29/12
to river2
First of all, glad you're feeling better.

re: toilet, biggest laugh of the day here in Austin!

I see that indeed feeds get 'collected' for formatting errors as well
as non connections (i.e. server not responding or jjst gone)

I have lots of quetions of course, but none pressing. Also, the
garbage Collection issue is not a show stopper for me, everything is
working now, but of course I haven't had to unsubscribe from any feeds
lately :-)

AC

On Feb 29, 3:02 pm, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to take a look at this.
>
> Just want to point out there are other ways for feeds to get into the
> trash, not just via garbage collection.
>
> And for what it's worth I can imagine things that are more horrifying, like
> opening a toilet and finding a person down in there laughing at me.
>
> Sorry -- I've been fighting a very bad cold and it makes for weird dreams.
> :-)
>
> Dave
>
> PS: I'm feeling better.
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Adam Curry <foobar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looping around to this thread:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/river2-users/browse_thread/thread/64e4...

Dave Winer

Feb 29, 2012, 4:08:36 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Actually in my nightmares it's Marty Feldman in the toilet. In his role of Eye-gor in Young Frankenstein.

Something else horrible -- Davy Jones died. I thought for sure he would outlive me. (Well I never actually thought about it.)

First thing I'm doing is doing a save-copy of my river2data.root which had grown to 1.5GB. I keep forgetting to do that. Lucky I spotted it.

I'm going to find out what's happening. It's happening here too, btw.

Dave

Adam Curry

Feb 29, 2012, 4:15:08 PM2/29/12
to river2
We can still be daydream believers!

Interstingly, this install, which I've had for quite some time, does
not have a river2data.root!

Should I just reinstall to get the root?

AC

Dave Winer

Feb 29, 2012, 4:17:52 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
No, it puts the data in config.root unless you do the things you have to do (I forget exactly how that works) to make it use river2data.root.

It really doesn't make much difference unless you're using a lot of other apps that store stuff in config.root.

And I'm sure that has nothing to do with the problem with feeds getting trashed.

Dave

Adam Curry

Feb 29, 2012, 4:19:06 PM2/29/12
to river2
OK, good. This is a river2 server only, so nothing else runs on it and
indeed, everything is in config.root

Leaving it untouched in that regard.

AC