ACRTC Graphics Chip HD63484

Steve Crompton

Nov 9, 2022, 5:00:29 AM11/9/22
to retro-comp
Hitachi produced a set of books back in the day covering the above part - they contained detailed information on how to design various graphics systems using the ACRTC - I know because I DID have them but after several house moves over the years they are now lost.

If anyone has them or knows where I may find them please let me know.

I have scoured the internet several times but all that seems to be out there are the standard datasheets and user manuals - what I had and need are the application note books.

Anyone? - any retired Hitachi sales people out there?

Dave White

Nov 9, 2022, 12:09:20 PM11/9/22
to retro-comp
I'd be really interested in those too - I have a bunch of 63484s from when I used to work on PDP-11 systems.

Steve Crompton

Nov 9, 2022, 12:36:16 PM11/9/22
to Dave White, retro-comp
Someone out there must have some tucked away somewhere

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 10, 2022, 3:22:53 AM11/10/22
to retro-comp
I am also interested in this topic, especially the application notes - I really would like to have more information about the character support (because this is a real bottleneck now).

As Steve I am working with the ACRTC - but my target are Z180 computers for now.

dhen...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2022, 9:32:37 AM11/10/22
to retro-comp

Steve Crompton

Nov 10, 2022, 10:24:08 AM11/10/22
to retro-comp
Cheers - appreciate your input, but have that article already

The Hitachi Application Notes go into great detail on how to design graphics systems of all types around that chip - I am so annoyed I have misplaced them

Earth Person

Nov 11, 2022, 3:35:50 AM11/11/22
to retro-comp
Hello Steve,

Sincerely,

William

Steve Crompton

Nov 11, 2022, 5:34:47 AM11/11/22
to retro-comp
Hi William,

Yes Document U75 - Users Guide is no problem

I think the Application Notes will be gold dust

I am hoping someone is going to come forward and say they have physical copies or can point me to some obscure ftp: repository somewhere

I think that may be the only hope

Steve

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 11, 2022, 8:27:22 AM11/11/22
to Earth Person, retro-comp
There seem to be two additional Application Notes in the past for that chip. The first AppNote is around 100 pages large and contains lots of construction details how to build graphic cards with that chip.

The second AppNote covers the software aspect.

Both notes give more details than the user manual or the data sheet.

I've never seen these books so far.

Rob Gowin

Nov 11, 2022, 10:57:27 AM11/11/22
to retro-comp
I am in possession of the Missing Manual. :-) I've attached a quick phone scan of the table of contents, but don't know how to go about getting it properly (non-destructively) scanned and archived. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rob
HD63484 App Note #U90 TOC.pdf

Marten Feldtmann

Nov 11, 2022, 1:42:07 PM11/11/22
to Rob Gowin, retro-comp

THAT IS COOL !!!!!!!!

Marten

Steve Crompton

Nov 11, 2022, 2:10:34 PM11/11/22
to retro-comp
Excellent news Rob

So it seems there are 3 volumes to this App Note - I only recall having 2 but it is a long time ago so maybe I had all three

So Rob do you have all three volumes or just the one you have shared the TOC ?

Steve