Google Groups to cut off Usenet

Futbolmetrix

Dec 14, 2023, 9:51:17 PM12/14/23
Now at the top of the page when one opens Google Groups:

"Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today."

:-(

Mark

Dec 15, 2023, 3:05:29 AM12/15/23
I'm not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean that nothing posted from newsreaders will show up on Google groups at all? But stuff from before Feb 15 will still be there? So, from Feb 15, either we've all got to use google groups or we've all got to use newsreaders, otherwise we won't be able to see everybody's messages?

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 3:40:30 AM12/15/23
Mark wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean that
> nothing posted from newsreaders will show up on Google groups at
> all? But stuff from before Feb 15 will still be there? So, from Feb
> 15, either we've all got to use google groups or we've all got to
> use newsreaders, otherwise we won't be able to see everybody's
> messages?

No, it means if you want to access Usenet you've got to use a proper
news service provider, there will be no Google Groups.

Finally Google have done something sensible. <claps>

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 3:58:56 AM12/15/23
Why the sad face? Download a newsreader and sign up to a free nntp
service - I recommend www.eternal-september.org - and you can have a
proper Usenet experience...

It's time for happy faces!!!

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 4:06:03 AM12/15/23
Mark wrote:

> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 2:51:17 AM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > Now at the top of the page when one opens Google Groups:
> >
> > "Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer
> > support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be
> > disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.
> > Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported
> > as it is done today."
>
> I'm not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean that
> nothing posted from newsreaders will show up on Google groups at
> all? But stuff from before Feb 15 will still be there? So, from Feb
> 15, either we've all got to use google groups or we've all got to
> use newsreaders, otherwise we won't be able to see everybody's
> messages?

If you want to continue accessing Usenet, download a free newsreader,
sign up for a free news service... as mentioned, I recommend
www.eternal-september.org - and away you go. If you need help setting
a newsreader up, ask..

Or you can stay on Google Groups and only have access to Google's own
groups... or the Usenet archive pre-February 2024. No fresh content
from Usenet will appear and you won't be able to post to RSS via the
Google Groups interface.

Werner Pichler

Dec 15, 2023, 5:55:13 AM12/15/23
Well I guess with no web-based client available anymore the chances, already slim, that somebody
new will discover this - or any - newsgroup by chance are virtually nil. The decline has been inexorable
regardless, but this will hasten it. And despite all its shortcomings, using Google Groups was comfortable,
especially with the same account on various devices. I for one will no longer be able to access Usenet
on my work computer without it.

Also, after February Google won't add any new messages to the archives anymore, and there's no
replacement for that, is there?

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Dec 15, 2023, 6:39:37 AM12/15/23
On 12/15/2023 3:58 AM, Blueshirt wrote:

> Why the sad face? Download a newsreader and sign up to a free nntp
> service - I recommend www.eternal-september.org - and you can have a
> proper Usenet experience...

Do you have any advice on free newsreaders? I'm using
Thunderbird/Eternal September here, but was having trouble installing it
on another computer.

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 7:20:06 AM12/15/23
Futbolmetrix wrote:

> Do you have any advice on free newsreaders? I'm using
> Thunderbird/Eternal September here, but was having trouble
> installing it on another computer.

Thunderbird is very popular, try a Thunderbird support newsgroup if
you want to stick with that. You should be able to install it on a
second computer.

For other newsreaders...

I am using XanaNews, available here...

https://xananews.software.informer.com/

Microplanet Gravity is available here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/

Pan can be found here...

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

Microplanet Gravity is probably the best of those three, I only use
XanaNews as I've used it for years (off and on) and it suits my needs
and I don't like change! But they will all do the job.

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 7:23:35 AM12/15/23
alt.comp.software.thunderbird

Futbolmetrix

Dec 15, 2023, 7:58:36 AM12/15/23
On 12/15/2023 5:55 AM, Werner Pichler wrote:

> Well I guess with no web-based client available anymore the chances, already slim, that somebody
> new will discover this - or any - newsgroup by chance are virtually nil.

How long has it been since we have had any real new blood in this
newsgroup? Probably more than 5 years...

> The decline has been inexorable
> regardless, but this will hasten it. And despite all its shortcomings, using Google Groups was comfortable,
> especially with the same account on various devices. I for one will no longer be able to access Usenet
> on my work computer without it.

Yep, same here.

> Also, after February Google won't add any new messages to the archives anymore, and there's no
> replacement for that, is there?

:-(

Binder Dundat

Dec 15, 2023, 8:55:32 AM12/15/23
Going back to newsreaders? What's next? Dial up internet? Wired keyboards? DOS commands?

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 10:54:32 AM12/15/23
In article <nnd$1210acc8$2b1aecf0@e5f015fc2f454487>,
I.E. GG is admitting incompetence.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 10:55:13 AM12/15/23
In article <nnd$69f54f32$071fe4bc@06e52b3eed543989>,
Great options!

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 10:56:37 AM12/15/23
In article <nnd$69f54f32$071fe4bc@2c52aa28dfb49e56>,
busy times!

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 11:38:43 AM12/15/23
Binder Dundat wrote:

> Going back to newsreaders? What's next?

Some people don't need to 'go back' anywhere, we've been happily
sailing away on the good ship Usenet and avoiding the rocks caused by
Google spammers! :-)

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 11:38:44 AM12/15/23
That's the sad face of ignorance... there are other Usenet archives
out there, ye all just got too lazy with all the Google shit! Clearly
nobody has heard of Narkive...

There has been a thriving Usenet community outside of Google Groups
but people preferred the crutch of the Big G.

This is the RSS narkive... bookmark it for February 2024! ;-)

https://rec.sport.soccer.narkive.com/

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 11:41:50 AM12/15/23
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <nnd$69f54f32$071fe4bc@2c52aa28dfb49e56>,
> Blueshirt <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
> > Futbolmetrix wrote:

> >> Do you have any advice on free newsreaders? I'm using
> >> Thunderbird/Eternal September here, but was having trouble
> >> installing it on another computer.
> >
> > alt.comp.software.thunderbird
>
> busy times!

Now's the time to offer the people here free Usenet from your NetKnow
NNTP servers in Canada Dave!!!

Be the hero for once... :-)

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 12:30:01 PM12/15/23
In article <nnd$50ce4059$45804a2a@f639fba16782b202>,
rock!!

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 12:30:22 PM12/15/23
In article <nnd$6e64c992$5f601058@26ab9b65034db816>,
I need them to pay the small monthly fee!

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 3:07:06 PM12/15/23
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <nnd$6e64c992$5f601058@26ab9b65034db816>,
> Blueshirt <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
> >
> > Now's the time to offer the people here free Usenet from your NetKnow
> > NNTP servers in Canada Dave!!!
> >
> > Be the hero for once... :-)
> >

> I need them to pay the small monthly fee!

Define small ...

The Doctor

Dec 15, 2023, 4:40:56 PM12/15/23
In article <ulibl5$21q2u$1...@dont-email.me>,
C$10 / month!

Blueshirt

Dec 15, 2023, 4:50:05 PM12/15/23
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <ulibl5$21q2u$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Blueshirt <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
> > The Doctor wrote:

> >> I need them to pay the small monthly fee!
> >
> > Define small ...
>
> C$10 / month!

news.individual.net is €10... for the whole year!!!

Mark

Dec 17, 2023, 4:41:49 AM12/17/23
I'm still unsure what this all means. After Feb 15 2024, will I be able to access rss using google groups?

Blueshirt

Dec 17, 2023, 5:18:24 AM12/17/23
Mark wrote:

> On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 8:40:30 AM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure I understand what that means. Does it mean that
> > > nothing posted from newsreaders will show up on Google groups
> > > at all? But stuff from before Feb 15 will still be there? So,
> > > from Feb 15, either we've all got to use google groups or we've
> > > all got to use newsreaders, otherwise we won't be able to see
> > > everybody's messages?
> >
> > No, it means if you want to access Usenet you've got to use a
> > proper news service provider, there will be no Google Groups.
> >

> I'm still unsure what this all means. After Feb 15 2024, will I be
> able to access rss using google groups?

No Mark, you won't.

You will need a news service (i.e. somebody who provides access to
Usenet) and a newsreader of some sort.

If you are interested...

Free News servers:

https://www.eternal-september.org/

https://solani.org/

Free Newsreaders:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html

Mark

Dec 18, 2023, 12:51:22 PM12/18/23
How do I download a newsreader? I tried eternal September and there's no information about how to download it, even in the FAQ. So I'm completely stuck already. See? I told you I was technophobic.

Jesus Petry

Dec 18, 2023, 1:32:56 PM12/18/23
In Thunderbird's page there's a link to download and install the
newsreader. It's a really big button, you cannot miss it.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Blueshirt

Dec 18, 2023, 2:40:12 PM12/18/23
You'll need a newsreader to access eternal-september, which is the
provider of the Usenet service and thousands of newsgroups. You don't
download that, you just register with their service. So go to the
eternal-september site and register with them... use this link. You will
need the password they send you when you register.

http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

Then download Thunderbird, using the link above (or a. n. other newsreader
if you prefer) click download, then install it like you would any other
piece of software, and get back to us...

Real Mardin

Dec 18, 2023, 5:04:52 PM12/18/23
All valid points.

I wonder has the time come to revisit the idea of transferring rss to a web based forum? Or at least utilising a more visible platform such as twitter / X or Facebook to promote rss and attract new members?

RM

Blueshirt

Dec 18, 2023, 5:35:22 PM12/18/23
Real Mardin wrote:

> I wonder has the time come to revisit the idea of transferring rss to a
> web based forum?

A web based forum? ... cough... splutter... <shocked face> !

Sacrilege!

Werner Pichler

Dec 18, 2023, 5:43:14 PM12/18/23
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the narkive
archives were a bit sketchy. And I might be overlooking something,
but where's the search function?

Also, I found another site that offers a similar service:

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/thread.php?group=rec.sport.soccer

and what I find interesting here is that the owner of the site has
apparently hand-picked those Usenet groups that still carry significant
traffic up to this day. They do still number in the dozens, if not
hundreds.

Ciao,
Werner

MH

Dec 18, 2023, 6:05:18 PM12/18/23

> All valid points.
>
> I wonder has the time come to revisit the idea of transferring rss to a web based forum? Or at least utilising a more visible platform such as twitter / X or Facebook to promote rss and attract new members?

I don't do X or Bookface or tikTok or Instagram. If the group migrates
to a web based forum, I will not migrate with it.

> RM

Blueshirt

Dec 18, 2023, 6:17:32 PM12/18/23
Werner Pichler wrote:

> On 15/12/2023 17:38, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > This is the RSS narkive... bookmark it for February 2024! ;-)
> >
> > https://rec.sport.soccer.narkive.com/
>

> I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the narkive
> archives were a bit sketchy. And I might be overlooking something,
> but where's the search function?

Yeah, it's not the finished article compared to Google Groups. Google
had twenty two years since it purchased DejaNews to get the archive
where it is today. I think we'll see more projects and finesse from
the Usenet community once Google leaves the scene as you won't be the
only one wanting a decent searchable archive. I believe Narkive is
still being worked on and IIRC it is only a one man operation.

For reading RSS posts online post February 2024 from a work computer
or something Narkive will do the job. For looking for a specific post
on RSS from 'Red Devil' in 2002 it might be a bit of a chore! ;-)

The Doctor

Dec 18, 2023, 7:03:26 PM12/18/23
In article <ulqhf6$3mvgi$1...@dont-email.me>,
Exactly!

Mark

Dec 19, 2023, 7:58:24 AM12/19/23
i CAN'T GET PAST THE CAPTCHA (and I've forgotten to turn caps lock off after typing in 5 different captcha things).

It does say near the top of the page "Error creating user account:68 Already exists". Could this mean I have successfully registered and they just didn't tell me?

Ion Saliu

Dec 19, 2023, 8:04:23 AM12/19/23
On Monday, December 18, 2023 at 7:51:22 PM UTC+2, Mark wrote:

> How do I download a newsreader? I tried eternal September and there's no information about how to download it, even in the FAQ. So I'm completely stuck already. See? I told you I was technophobic.

M’ritser, Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomaticilor et al.:

The Google Groups service is still ALIVE. Google decided to kill only the USENET groups that the behemoth archived. An example is this very rec.sport.soccer (abbreviated RSS by the likes of M’ritser and Bintser and Doktor-Patient).

Google has offered also GROUPS in the manner of FORUMS. I created such a forum, totally moderated. I moderate each and every post. Virtually, it’s only me who posts in that Google group. Google will NOT eliminate such groups/forums (for how long?) Just click on the link, as you would do on any webpage, or email message, or Word document –
https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience

You too can create such a group. But you must access Google Groups (GG) via a web interface (e.g. browser):
https://groups.google.com/

Click ‘Create group’ at the top of the page. You can create an UNMODERATED group as well (the way RSS has always been).

There is a grave danger to the Usenet groups, including those accessible via Google Groups: SPAM-SPAM-SPAM! That’s what killed them GGs! Look at a newsgroup dedicated to AI programming:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.ai.neural-nets

A post every minute! Hundreds of posts a day (many in the Thai language)! They gobble up gazillions of megabytes! Not even gigantic corporations like Google can keep up with the cosmic deluge of bytes! Microsoft abandoned their group services a few years ago for the same reason.

A moderated group, however, can easily combat the pests. The moderators simply DELETE them “Thai spams” and BLOCK the spammers for good! But the moderators should have the guts to let group members post the way they do now in this RSS. Allow disputes, as they build bridges:
https://saliu.com/bbs/messages/123.html
• Disputes in newsgroups can stimulate creativity.

Speaking of AI – Are the governments behind this outrageous SPAM-SPAM-SPAM deluge of Biblical proportions? Methinks along those lines. The governments are extremely hostile now towards AI. The hostility started with Usenet and aggravated with Facebook and social media. Those social platforms became LOUD, UNCENSORED social platforms. The governments don’t like that — never did, and never will.

There are three major forms of government today. All have ‘Fascism’ in their denomination — i.e., hostility to FREE free-speech). The difference from Communism: Fascism allows for private property.
• Fascist Liberalism (USA, European Union)
• Fascist Communism (China)
• Communist Fascism (Russia).

One still popular Usenet group is rec.gambling.lottery (abbreviated RGL by the likes of Kokostirk and Kotkoduck and Parpaluck). You can read similar comments regarding the “The Death of Usenet Posting Via Google Groups”.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/V2cvQHuxxws
• World Lottery Championship RIP?

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/H9MyPpIUiEY
• Usenet Auschwitz

To me, Usenet existed only via Google Groups. It was convenient and clean. Not to mention the posts were INDEXED by the Google search engine. It’ll stay that way.

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Posting
https://saliu.com/ai-chatbots-ion-saliu.html

Mark

Dec 19, 2023, 8:06:44 AM12/19/23
I'm in favour of a web based forum.

Btw since that message appeared at the top in Google groups, I'm having problems scrolling right down to the bottom of the page for some bizarre reason. Are other people having that problem? And has anyone got any idea why, or what can be done to solve the problem? Even finding where to click "Post message" can be difficult!

Ion Saliu

Dec 19, 2023, 8:26:48 AM12/19/23
M’ritser:

Axiomático, it happens to everybody in the GG interface — most of the time, that is. There is a trick to bypass the problem: the TAB key. The key might appear as a double-arrow on some keyboards. The TAB key is located leftmost, 3rd row, on the US-based keyboard.

Go to the last (most recent) message. Click on the first line.
• Press the TAB key repeatedly, until you reach the end of the page. You’ll see also quite a bit of blank space!
• If you don’t see the ‘Reply’ button, press simultaneously Shift+TAB.

Btw — If you are “in favour of a web-based forum/newsgroup”, I suggest you create your own. See my previous post. Then, make an announcement right here. I’ll join your group.

HASM

Dec 19, 2023, 8:53:43 AM12/19/23
Mark <Pammie...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> It does say near the top of the page "Error creating user account:68
> Already exists". Could this mean I have successfully registered and
> they just didn't tell me?

Do they have a "forgot password" link?

-- HASM

Werner Pichler

Dec 19, 2023, 1:44:09 PM12/19/23
On 19/12/2023 14:06, Mark wrote:

> Btw since that message appeared at the top in Google groups, I'm having problems scrolling right down to the bottom of the page for some bizarre reason. Are other people having that problem? And has anyone got any idea why, or what can be done to solve the problem? Even finding where to click "Post message" can be difficult!

It's not just you, and simply emblematic of the crappy way Google Groups
has been handled these last fifteen years or so. They've put in the
banner message on top and don't care one bit whether that hampers usability.

Ciao,
Werner

Futbolmetrix

Dec 19, 2023, 4:54:47 PM12/19/23
On Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 8:06:44 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

> Btw since that message appeared at the top in Google groups, I'm having problems scrolling right down to the bottom of the page for some bizarre reason. Are other people having that problem? And has anyone got any idea why, or what can be done to solve the problem? Even finding where to click "Post message" can be difficult!

Yes, I'm having the same problem.

Blueshirt

Dec 19, 2023, 5:49:41 PM12/19/23
Don't wait until February, start the transition now...

The Doctor

Dec 19, 2023, 6:21:53 PM12/19/23
In article <ult6m2$7qag$1...@dont-email.me>,
I back you there!

Jesus Petry

Dec 20, 2023, 7:31:22 AM12/20/23
It was not all bad, though.
Their previously friendly mobile interface allowed me to post on rss
from a World Cup game (Nigeria - Argentina) back in 2014.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Mark

Dec 20, 2023, 3:23:04 PM12/20/23
On Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 1:53:43 PM UTC, HASM wrote:
> Mark writes:
>

> > It does say near the top of the page "Error creating user account:68
> > Already exists". Could this mean I have successfully registered and
> > they just didn't tell me?
> Do they have a "forgot password" link?
>
> -- HASM

Yes, I just tried it and it doesn't seem to have worked though. So it doesn't look as if I have successfully registered. Does my userID have to be unique? I chose Mark because that's what everybody knows me as on here. Could that be the problem?

Mark

Dec 20, 2023, 3:29:58 PM12/20/23
Thanks. That seems to be working.

> Btw — If you are “in favour of a web-based forum/newsgroup”, I suggest you create your own. See my previous post. Then, make an announcement right here. I’ll join your group.

Who else will though? Maybe we should have some kind of poll to see how many people would prefer a web based forum/newsgroup, and how many would prefer to use newsreaders. I'm getting the impression most people would prefer newsreaders though.

HASM

Dec 20, 2023, 4:27:26 PM12/20/23

> Does my userID have to be unique?

One needs the username/password to access the nntp server, thus it
better be unique.

> I chose Mark because that's what everybody knows me as on here.

Probably already taken, but no one will see your eternal-september ID.
Mine is not HASM.

You can customize your newsreader with a from address (I use a phony
one), signature signature (I don't have one) and those do not need to be
unique.

-- HASM

Blueshirt

Dec 20, 2023, 4:39:50 PM12/20/23
Correct. Newsreaders allow you to put a custom name, custom e-mail
address and/or a signature (if required), for display ... for
instance, my registered name with eternal-september is not Blueshirt,
and I registered with them using a proper e-mail address not
blue...@indigo.news. Indigo News stopped being a real news service
many years ago, so the e-mail address displayed with my posts is
[now] a fake e-mail address. (So definitely no spam!)

You register with your real name and chose your posting Identity, be
it "HASM", "Mark" or "Blueshirt"!

HASM

Dec 20, 2023, 4:47:23 PM12/20/23
Mark <Pammie...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Maybe we should have some kind of poll to see how many people would
> prefer a web based forum/newsgroup, and how many would prefer to use
> newsreaders.

Don't like web based forums. Probably wouldn't like most newsreaders either.

Any interface where I have to take my hands off the "classic" part of
the keyboard, to reach for the mouse, arrows, page up/down, home/end,
delete keys sucks too.

Emacs/Gnus for news, I can navigate news with my fingers sitting on a
few keys. Ditto with emacs/mh-e for email.

-- HASM

Ion Saliu

Dec 21, 2023, 6:25:30 AM12/21/23
>> Who else will though? Maybe we should have some kind of poll to see how many people would prefer a web-based forum/newsgroup, and how many would prefer to use newsreaders. I'm getting the impression most people would prefer newsreaders though.

M’ritser:

Axiomático, this is the proverbial case of “De gustibus non disputandum”. “most people”, as you put it so eloquently, means a couple dozen or so. Most of them, serios members with a keen interest in the philosophical art of soccer.

But I can tell you for a fact that a much larger of readers in this group are LURKERS. They get here via Internet searches. Google and other search engines INDEX worthy postings in Usenet. There will be no more indexing after February 15, 2024. All Usenet messages will be treated as the email messages. They are DEAD on a few people’s PCs. And all messages will be deleted after a while due to storage restraints!

The newsreaders are also FLOODED WITH A LOT OF GARBAGE. Like it or not, the newsreaders will throw junk down your throat.

There are huge advantages to web-based forums such as those offered by Google Groups.

• Membership is on an approval-basis only. Obvious spammers are ruled out from the start.

• Spamming messages are rooted out by the owners/moderators. They can also block the spammers for good.

• The messages can be formatted like in Google Documents or Microsoft Office. Available: font selection, image and video inserting, link inserting, etc.

Just take a look at this web-based Google group:
• • https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience

And look how flexible the group setting are:

• Who can see group: Anyone on the web
• Who can join group: Anyone on the web (pending approval)
• Who can view conversations: Anyone on the web
• Who can post: Group members
• Who can view members: Group managers
• Who is group content suitable for? If you choose Adults only, you can't change this later.
• Who can contact group owners: Anyone on the web

• Posting policies
• • Allow Email Posting
• • Allow web posting
• • Allow users to post to the group on the web.

• Conversation history
• • Keep conversations in Google Groups and let members get email digests (required for Collaborative Inbox).
• • ON
• • OFF

• Who can reply privately to authors: Group members
• Who can attach files: Group members

• Message moderation: Choose whether to moderate messages before delivery

• New member restrictions
• • Restrictions can be removed for individual members in member management.

• Spam message handling
• Notify senders when posts are rejected
• • ON
• • OFF

Etc., etc., etc.

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Argumentative Posting
https://saliu.com/argumentum.html

Blueshirt

Dec 21, 2023, 10:05:15 AM12/21/23
Ion Saliu wrote:

> But I can tell you for a fact that a much larger of readers in this
> group are LURKERS. They get here via Internet searches. Google and
> other search engines INDEX worthy postings in Usenet. There will be
> no more indexing after February 15, 2024. All Usenet messages will
> be treated as the email messages. They are DEAD on a few people’s
> PCs. And all messages will be deleted after a while due to storage
> restraints!
>
> The newsreaders are also FLOODED WITH A LOT OF GARBAGE. Like it or
> not, the newsreaders will throw junk down your throat.
>
> There are huge advantages to web-based forums such as those offered
> by Google Groups.

Personally, I think that's a load of nonsense. The Google crutch has
been removed, walk or get left on the ground. There are other web
based Usenet access points. More will almost certainly spring up post
February 2024.

Too many people have spent the last decade thinking Google IS the
internet and Google Groups IS Usenet, and nothing exists outside of
it's grubby tentacles...

The good ship Usenet is proceeding full steam ahead and come February
Usenet posters will be on the decks waving back at the Google Groups
users who are standing on the pier with their handkerchiefs in their
hands...

Blueshirt

Dec 21, 2023, 10:26:06 AM12/21/23
Blueshirt wrote:

> > There are huge advantages to web-based forums such as those
> > offered by Google Groups.
>
> Personally, I think that's a load of nonsense. The Google crutch has
> been removed, walk or get left on the ground. There are other web
> based Usenet access points.

You want web based Usenet access... okay so.

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/thread.php?group=rec.sport.soccer

Futbolmetrix

Dec 21, 2023, 1:06:28 PM12/21/23
Testing the novaBBS site...

Blueshirt

Dec 21, 2023, 2:22:02 PM12/21/23
I can't say how good sites like Nova BBS and Narkive are. I am just
trying my best to help those people who are currently using Google
Groups to find alternatives to GG and transition away before February
2024... and still be able to access RSS for posting, reading and/or
simply lurking.

What I will say though is, the Usenet community have done a lot of
those projects whilst Google Groups was in operation, so how many
more people are going to help out and attempt their own projects once
the break with Google happens? I think we will see similar attempts
at archiving sites and web based Usenet access from others in the
Usenet community after February 2024 ... as we are all geeks in our
own way or we still wouldn't be on Usenet!!!

So I don't see the need for doom and gloom. My glass if half-full...

The Doctor

Dec 21, 2023, 7:09:25 PM12/21/23
In article <2cd16a19fc98830b...@news.novabbs.com>,
Success!

milivella

Dec 21, 2023, 9:58:23 PM12/21/23
Real Mardin:

> I wonder has the time come to revisit the idea of transferring rss to a web based forum?

One probably obvious thing to consider is that, when your platform is in
someone's hands, you depend on that someone: what if that someone
decides that your posts are unacceptable? what if they changes the
platform in some ways you don't like? what if they close the platform?
These are arguably important questions for a community that has lived
for 35 years so far and where free speech is practised.

Of course, if the choice is between death and anything else, the latter
may be the best option... (But it doesn't seem to me that this is the
choice right now.)

--
Cheers
milivella

Ion Saliu

Dec 22, 2023, 5:14:35 AM12/22/23
Bluitser:

Axiomate, I might say, you know how to drive your point home. I’m trying to reply via novaBBS. Are they as good as Google Groups — the Usenet flavo(u)r?

But I can tell you, Google Groups — the forum flavo(u)r — is far superior. You can format your posts/messages in line with the modern times — very much as in Google Documents or Microsoft Office.

Yes, the Google-Groups-Forums impose some rules that Usenet is not used to. The owner can restrict legitimate users he dislikes. Still, a group of owners can be created; the decisions must be unanimous when banning members. Also, some members could be free from any restrictions. For example, Mark might curse you now and then — and vice versa. However, both you and Mark are immune to any posting restrictions.

I don’t like this novaBBS, though. Cumbersome — as in the computing stone age! Back to GG…

Mark

Dec 22, 2023, 6:26:20 AM12/22/23
I've now managed to register with eternal September, and seem to have downloaded Thunderbird. On Thunderbird I've typed in my name and e-mail address, and typed in a password which got me nowhere. Eventually I noticed that if I put the mouse over the word password it says "Optional; will only be used to validate the username". So why didn't they tell me that in the first place? So I've tried it without a password. It says something about available configurations; I've got no idea what that's about. Do I need to select something there? I clicked on Done and now it's coming up with "Error creating account Incoming server already exists." So I don't know what to do now.

What's this novaBBS site? Is using that a viable alternative?

Blueshirt

Dec 22, 2023, 7:55:49 AM12/22/23
Ion Saliu wrote:

> Bluitser:
>
> Axiomate, I might say, you know how to drive your point home. I’m
> trying to reply via novaBBS. Are they as good as Google Groups —
> the Usenet flavo(u)r?

Probably not.

I'm only trying to help the people of RSS as Google Groups is not
going to be an option after February 2024... so there HAS to be some
alternative.

> But I can tell you, Google Groups — the forum flavo(u)r — is far
> superior. You can format your posts/messages in line with the
> modern times — very much as in Google Documents or Microsoft Office.

I'm sure it is superior. It's Google, a big Tech company backed by
millions of Dollars. Nova BBS - and similar projects - are the work
of a few Usenet geeks. For the community by the community.

Over the last week, or so, I have supplied a few links to stop people
being cast adrift when Google Groups sever their link with Usenet in
February 2024. The options are there, people have to choose their own
path... so Blueshirt's Usenet Advice Clinic will now close.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Blue Year!

The Doctor

Dec 22, 2023, 9:14:43 AM12/22/23
In article <nnd$5c4774fe$5ea8782b@ab6ccf02d55cb2a7>,
Cheers!

Ion Saliu

Dec 23, 2023, 6:05:52 AM12/23/23
Bluitser:

Axiomate, your good intentions are duly taken into account — they are highly appreciated.

A few more words about the novaBBSes of the world. They are small entities. They can’t afford a lot of storage space. Google, no doubt, can afford much, much more storage and computing power. Yet, even the Googles of the world can’t afford Infinite space — for there is no infinite.

The likes of novaBBS are Usenet services offering a web-based interface. They retain the Usenet posts for just a few years. The oldest messages are deleted to make room for new ones. Google had the incredible ambition to retain ALL Usenet posts ever written (“from the beginning of time”, as them Googles sez).

The worst part regarding them novaBBSes: Google-Google will STOP indexing ALL Usenet messages after February 15, 2024. Meanwhile, Google-Google will continue to index ALL messages/posts/conversations published via Google-Groups-Forums. Appearance in Internet searches is a not-in-disguise-blessing.

> Merry Christmas and a Happy Blue Year!

You too, Bluitser! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2024 to all and each in this celebrated community!

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Celebration Philosophy
https://saliu.com/almighty_number.html
• Listen to Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawkins sing “Hymn of The_Everything”

HASM

Dec 23, 2023, 10:21:12 AM12/23/23
Mark <Pammie...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I've now managed to register with eternal September, and seem to have
> downloaded Thunderbird. On Thunderbird I've typed in my name and
> e-mail address, and typed in a password which got me
> nowhere.

Probably a Thunderbird misconfiguration.

You can test that your eternal-september (ES) account is setup right
using openssl.

(Not sure how to do it securely on windows with putty, the unsecure way
works but one shouldn't send passwords in the clear)

Install openssl for windows from sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openssl-for-windows/
The download is a zip file. Unzip to some folder.
Open a cmd.exe window.
cd to the folder where you unzipped openssl.
There sould be openssl.exe program in that folder.
Run it as:
openssl s_client news.eternal-september.org:563
After eternal-september replies enter
authinfo user <your ES username>
then
authinfo pass <your ES password>
if setup is correct, ES will reply authentication succeeded.

If so, then go back to configure Thunderbird.

-- HASM

Mark

Dec 23, 2023, 2:25:19 PM12/23/23
On Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 3:21:12 PM UTC, HASM wrote:
> Mark writes:
>
> > I've now managed to register with eternal September, and seem to have
> > downloaded Thunderbird. On Thunderbird I've typed in my name and
> > e-mail address, and typed in a password which got me
> > nowhere.
> Probably a Thunderbird misconfiguration.
>
> You can test that your eternal-september (ES) account is setup right
> using openssl.
>
> (Not sure how to do it securely on windows with putty, the unsecure way
> works but one shouldn't send passwords in the clear)
>
> Install openssl for windows from sourceforge:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openssl-for-windows/

I got this far. A message came up saying thank you for downloading it, but I can't find it on my computer by clicking on downloads or anything; it doesn't seem to have downloaded it.

I'm beginning to think maybe I should just give up and use novaBBS.

Mark

Dec 27, 2023, 4:38:05 AM12/27/23
I think I've managed to register with eternal september and install thunderbird. I don't know how to get the 2 combined so that I can use them to post on here.

Meanwhile I've tried to use novaBBS but got nowhere with that so far either.

Ion Saliu

Jan 11, 2024, 6:25:13 AMJan 11
> Btw — If you are “in favour of a web-based forum/newsgroup”, I suggest you create your own. See my previous post. Then, make an announcement right here. I’ll join your group.

M’ritser:

Axiomático, I just came across this shortcut. It makes the process a whole lot easier.

CLICK ‘DISMISS’ IN GOOGLE ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE.

Too bad, Google Groups will end soon. It was a great community, characterized by convenience. May Almighty Number bless their hearts and souls and blood-pressure numbers!

https://saliu.com/almighty_number.html
• Almighty Number, Randomness, Universe, God, Order, History, Repetition, Certainty (or lack there of).

Blueshirt

Jan 11, 2024, 1:18:30 PMJan 11
Ion Saliu wrote:

> Too bad, Google Groups will end soon.

Nothing bad about it!

But Google Groups isn't actually ending, just their gateway to
Usenet. People with Google accounts can still post away on Google's
own groups using the Google Groups interface.

> It was a great community, characterized by convenience.

To be fair that is what Google does best, convenience. But they are
known to drop things once they cease to get something out of it, so
remember, it's never about YOU! With Google you are not the customer,
you are the product!

> May Almighty Number bless their hearts and souls and blood-pressure
numbers!

The way I see it, the Google Groups connection has to die so Usenet
can carry on living... the good ship RSS will sail on, possibly with
less passengers, but with the baggage gone it will stay afloat...

Roll on February... see you on the other side! :-)

The Doctor

Jan 11, 2024, 6:14:37 PMJan 11
In article <nnd$630a09a1$2c479b3c@18a5e548ff366b9e>,
Hear! Hear!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nk.ca Ici doc...@nk.ca

Mark

Jan 12, 2024, 4:36:05 AMJan 12
I've still got nowhere with thunderbird/eternal september. Shall I give up and uninstall thunderbird and just use nova BBS?

Blueshirt

Jan 12, 2024, 5:04:40 AMJan 12
Mark wrote:

> I've still got nowhere with thunderbird/eternal september. Shall I
> give up and uninstall thunderbird and just use nova BBS?

That's your choice Mark, it's whatever you find easier. Although
Thunderbird should be fairly straightforward to use. I don't recall
it being complicated. You might prefer NovaBBS...

If you are having problems with Thunderbird you can use the
Thunderbird support newsgroup and someone there will help you...as
would people on one of the eternal-september newsgroups. (They can
all be accessed via Google Groups... for now!)

mozilla.support.thunderbird

eternal-september.support

eternal-september.newusers

I don't use Thunderbird myself and haven't for years, so I can't give
you too much advice on it per se, but I don't recall it being
complicated to use.

HASM

Jan 14, 2024, 8:58:37 AMJan 14

mark> I've still got nowhere with thunderbird/eternal september. Shall I
mark> give up and uninstall thunderbird and just use nova BBS?

blueshirt> Although Thunderbird should be fairly straightforward to use.

I've never actually used Thunderbird for news (or mail), I went from
some of the *rn family of text/curses readers to Emacs/Gnus long long
ago.

To check it out I've installed Thunderbird and got it connected to
eternal-september without much problems (except that I had a very large
number of unread articles!) This was on MS Windows, which I only use for
work.

I then tried to uninstall it and start again, so I could report on what
I did, but the uninstallation didn't clean everything, somewhat
expected that the configuration was kept.

I tried hunting for configuration, under $HOME, deleted the install
directory, cleaned the registry, but couldn't get back to square one.

I could try it on another machine, but maybe you could tell us where you
get stuck.

-- HASM

Ion Saliu

Jan 15, 2024, 7:50:23 AMJan 15
"Too bad, Google Groups will end soon. It was a great community, characterized by CONVENIENCE. May Almighty Number bless their hearts and souls and blood-pressure numbers!

https://saliu.com/almighty_number.html
• Almighty Number, Randomness, Universe, God, Order, History, Repetition, Certainty (or lack there of)."

More than convenience, Google Groups also provides DISCOVERABILITY. The link I posted in my previous messages led to a less popular webpage. After my message, I noticed a significant increase in ‘Page views’.

There ought to be a reward for Usenet posting. Why not? It is only fair. Why post to only fall into the drain of oblivion?!

”I received a phone call
From one who claimed was tall.
Then, he cursed me even worse
For my gambling on the horse.”

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Sport
https://software.saliu.com/live-sports-streams.html

Mark

Jan 15, 2024, 8:21:15 AMJan 15
I've just opened thunderbird. On the left, I've got news.eternal-september.org and rec.sport.soccer listed from when I tried to set up newsgroups. I've just tried double-clicking on news.eternal-september.org and nothing happened. I'll try double-clicking on rec.sport.soccer; no, nothing happens then either. I just tried clicking on manage newsgroup subscriptions, it's saying "Show items that contain:" and "select the newsgroups to subscribe to:". I don't know what to type in. Do I just ignore "Show items that contain:" and type rec.sport.soccer where it says "select the newsgroups to subscribe to:"? That's about all I can think of trying.

HASM

Jan 15, 2024, 10:16:07 AMJan 15
> I've just opened thunderbird. On the left, I've got
> news.eternal-september.org and rec.sport.soccer listed from when I tried
> to set up newsgroups. I've just tried double-clicking on
> news.eternal-september.org and nothing happened. I'll try
> double-clicking on rec.sport.soccer; no, nothing happens then either. I
> just tried clicking on manage newsgroup subscriptions, it's saying "Show
> items that contain:" and "select the newsgroups to subscribe to:". I
> don't know what to type in. Do I just ignore "Show items that contain:"
> and type rec.sport.soccer where it says "select the newsgroups to
> subscribe to:"? That's about all I can think of trying.

Just tried it again, my old/saved setup didn't work probably because of
my undoing.

I deleted the old newsgroup account, created a new one, didn't use TLS
so I can monitor the transactions with wireshark, (i.e. connection
security is None), enabled "check for new messages at startup", and
"Always request authentication when connecting to this server", lowered
to 100 the "Ask me before downloading more than xx messages", didn't
touch the "Check for new messages every XX seconds" (as I don't plan on
using this.)

After creation I clicked on "Manage newsgroup subscriptions", a dialog
came up where I entered my ES credentials, AND selected the box that
said something like "Keep this password in the Password Manager".

Filtered for rec.sport.soccer, subscribed. When selecting it the server
told me there were thousads of messages, 100 selected and a box to mark
all old ones are read.

Got the last 100 messages, select yours and I'm replying from within
Thuderbird. Hopefully it will make it.

Not sure I understand the interface, seems a bit awkward to just page
through the new messages, but someone may chime in here.

-- HASM

HASM

Jan 15, 2024, 10:18:10 AMJan 15

HASM> Got the last 100 messages, select yours and I'm replying from within
HASM> Thuderbird. Hopefully it will make it.

And back on Emacs/Gnus, I can see this message.

-- HASM

Blueshirt

Jan 15, 2024, 10:29:06 AMJan 15
HASM wrote:

> Got the last 100 messages, select yours and I'm replying from
> within Thuderbird. Hopefully it will make it.

It did!

Mark

Jan 16, 2024, 8:07:57 AMJan 16
I've just uninstalled thunderbird, so I can start again from scratch and try what you've described. Tried to re-install it; and I'm now stuck on a page that says "Just one more step!Finish installing, and start enjoying Thunderbird." But it doesn't say what the 1 more step is!

HASM

Jan 16, 2024, 11:52:59 AMJan 16

> But it doesn't say what the 1 more step is!

That "step" is Thunderbird opening a web page asking for a donation.

Install should be done, run Thunderbird from the icon or start menu.

-- HASM

Mark

Jan 17, 2024, 6:24:55 AMJan 17
I've found "Thunderbird set up" in my downloads folder; I don't know why Thunderbird didn't tell me they'd put it there. I'm just doing the set up wizard or whatever it's called now. It's now installed it, but the uninstallation didn't get rid of everything. news.eternal-september.org and rec.sport.soccer are still there. No, I can't work out how to delete them so I can re-create the newsgroup account.

So basically I've taken about 5 steps back and only about 3 steps forward!

HASM

Jan 17, 2024, 9:03:49 AMJan 17

> No, I can't work out how to delete them so I can re-create the
> newsgroup account.

Close all open Tabs, then right click on Eternal-September on the column
on the left and select "Settings". This should open a tab labeled
"Account Settings", and towards the bottom of the left column an
"Account Actions" pull down should show up. Click on it and select
"Remove Account".

-- HASM

Mark

Jan 18, 2024, 7:47:46 AMJan 18
HASM wrote:

> Just tried it again, my old/saved setup didn't work probably because of
> my undoing.

> I deleted the old newsgroup account, created a new one, didn't use TLS
> so I can monitor the transactions with wireshark, (i.e. connection
> security is None), enabled "check for new messages at startup", and
> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server", lowered
> to 100 the "Ask me before downloading more than xx messages", didn't
> touch the "Check for new messages every XX seconds" (as I don't plan on
> using this.)

I've just done this. None of that stuff came up.

> After creation I clicked on "Manage newsgroup subscriptions", a dialog
> came up where I entered my ES credentials, AND selected the box that
> said something like "Keep this password in the Password Manager".

I'll do this now. I've just got the box that says "Show items that contain:", and I've got no idea what, if anything, to type in there; and "Select the newsgroups to subscribe to:". All the newsgroups listed there are eternal september something or other. There's no mention of rec.sport.soccer. The only one that sounds remotely hopeful is 1 at the bottom which says something like eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups.

And it doesn't ask for my password or anything.

HASM

Jan 22, 2024, 11:56:44 AMJan 22

> All the newsgroups listed there are eternal september something or
> other.

From an old post on sonic.net:

If you don't log in with user name and password, eternal-september
shows only the eternal-september.* hierarchy.

If you don't use your eternal-september account for 180 days, they
delete it.

Uninstall Thunderbird.

If on a recent Windows version, delete your Thunderbird folders:
c:\users\<you>\AppData\Local\Thunderbird
c:\users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
These maybe hidden, may or not exist, I'd search for Thunderbird
folders under c:\users\<you>

If you feel comfortable editing the registry (be careful!) delete
Thunderbird related registry keys, by running regedit (as admin):
and looking for something like.
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Thunderbird
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Thunderbird 115.6.1
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Thunderbird
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\Thunderbird
Some may not be there after you uninstall Thunderbird.

Then restart again, and good luck.

-- HASM

Mark

Jan 25, 2024, 6:12:23 AMJan 25
I'm technophobic. This sounds too complicated. Shall I just uninstall thunderbird and use novaBBS instead? Or is it worth trying what you said in spite of my technophobia? Or is there an easier newsreader to use? I'm not sure what to do.

Blueshirt

Jan 25, 2024, 9:58:35 AMJan 25
> Or is there an easier newsreader to use?

I use XanaNews which is a few years old, but simple to use once set
up... if you did fancy trying it out I could help you with it as I've
used it for years... I will provide the link below if you are
interested. Thunderbird is more popular, works for e-mail too, gets
regular updates and has its own support newsgroup. So it really is up
to you.

https://github.com/graemeg/xananews/releases/tag/v1.21

The 2.55 MB zip file in the assets section is what you download.

> I'm not sure what to do.

You could start by supporting Chelsea FC...

<VBG>

Mark

Jan 26, 2024, 10:30:21 AMJan 26
I've downloaded it, and got this:

It won't paste it for some reason. What do I do now?

> > I'm not sure what to do.
> You could start by supporting Chelsea FC...

That bang on my head wasn't that bad!

> <VBG>

What does VBG mean?

Blueshirt

Jan 26, 2024, 11:09:58 AMJan 26
Did you un-zip the folder? If you did there will be an icon that says
XanaNews.exe, click and run. (Possibly on your desktop, if not, find
it and put it there...)

Once XanaNews is open. You then need to enter your eternal-september
account details in the "accounts" -> "Sever settings" section.

So, in the box that says "Server Name" enter...

news.eternal-september.org

The box that says, "This server requires me to log on" needs to be
ticked.

You then enter your eternal-september log-in details, i.e User Name
and password, and re-type password.

The box that says, "Always authenticate" needs to be ticked.

Then click Apply.

On the next setting underneath the "Server Settings" section is
"Dial-Up and connection".

In this section the "NNTP port" number needs to be 119. (It might be
this by default.)

The "SSL Port" should be 563. (It might already be this by default)

Click "Apply"

Once that is done and you are connected to eternal-september you will
get asked to download the list of newsgroups from that server. Which
you do so...

When you've done that let me know how many newsgroups you have
downloaded... with eternal-september it should be around thirty
thousand.

If that is so, you can choose the newsgroups you want to read by
searching and clicking "Subscribe"

Mark

Jan 27, 2024, 5:50:12 AMJan 27
On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 4:09:58 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
> Mark wrote:

> > > I use XanaNews which is a few years old, but simple to use once
> > > set up... if you did fancy trying it out I could help you with it
> > > as I've used it for years... I will provide the link below if you
> > > are interested. Thunderbird is more popular, works for e-mail
> > > too, gets regular updates and has its own support newsgroup. So
> > > it really is up to you.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/graemeg/xananews/releases/tag/v1.21
> > >
> > > The 2.55 MB zip file in the assets section is what you download.
> >
> > I've downloaded it, and got this:
> >
> > It won't paste it for some reason. What do I do now?
> Did you un-zip the folder? If you did there will be an icon that says
> XanaNews.exe, click and run. (Possibly on your desktop, if not, find
> it and put it there...)

I have now. I think. Is that what "Extract all" does?, I clicked on that.

I've got a list of 8 things that look exactly the same as what I tried to copy and paste yesterday. 3 of them say XanaNews, there's nothing that says XanaNews.exe though. They say type "Compiled HTML help file", "Application", and "WAV File".

Blueshirt

Jan 27, 2024, 7:55:17 AMJan 27
Double click on the "application" icon to run it... XanaNews should
open.

The Doctor

Jan 27, 2024, 9:38:29 AMJan 27
In article <nnd$3989389b$3a9ad0de@4735d926c52f9145>,
MesNEws works better!

Blueshirt

Jan 27, 2024, 12:22:06 PMJan 27
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <nnd$3989389b$3a9ad0de@4735d926c52f9145>,
> Blueshirt <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
> >
> > Double click on the "application" icon to run it... XanaNews
> > should open.
>
> MesNEws works better!

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't... I don't use it. But I didn't see
you offering to help Mark, or anyone, so unless you can contribute
something worthwhile to this discussion, STFU!

The Doctor

Jan 27, 2024, 7:48:23 PMJan 27
In article <up3e3q$3fchd$1...@dont-email.me>,
>something worthwhile to this discussion, SU!

Then grab a copy, after all someone from here introduced me to MesNews!

Mark

Jan 28, 2024, 4:49:45 AMJan 28
On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 4:09:58 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
I got this far. There's no "Always authenticate" box or anywhere to click Apply. I clicked next or whatever, and it seems to have finished setting it up, but it's only got 12 newsgroups, and they're all eternal september ones.

Blueshirt

Jan 28, 2024, 2:52:53 PMJan 28
That's good. It's a start. You can subscribe to the following
eternal-september newsgroups...

.talk .support .newusers and .test

At the top of XanaNews click

TOOLS -> ACCOUNTS ->

Select you Eternal-September Account then click

PROPERTIES (at the bottom)

Then on the left side is a tree of basic account settings, click

SEVER SETTINGS

This server requires me to log on box needs to be ticked.

Enter your log-in details.

And the always authenticate box needs to be ticked too.

Mark

Jan 29, 2024, 9:32:32 AMJan 29
I just opened xananews again, and there's no list of newsgroups anymore. I clicked on news.eternal-september.org, and all it does is prompt me to get messages from all groups in eternal september.

Oh I've managed to do the above now. (Nothing happened when I clicked apply, so I clicked OK instead.) And I've found dial-up and connection. I'll try to do what you described earlier now. Done it, but I had to click OK because nothing happened when I clicked apply again. I don't seem to be any further on though.

Blueshirt

Jan 29, 2024, 10:25:26 AMJan 29
Mark wrote:

> On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 7:52:53 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > That's good. It's a start. You can subscribe to the following
> > eternal-september newsgroups...
> >
> > .talk .support .newusers and .test
> > At the top of XanaNews click
> >
> > TOOLS -> ACCOUNTS ->
> >
> > Select you Eternal-September Account then click
> >
> > PROPERTIES (at the bottom)
> >
> > Then on the left side is a tree of basic account settings, click
> >
> > SEVER SETTINGS
> >
> > This server requires me to log on box needs to be ticked.
> >
> > Enter your log-in details.
> >
> > And the always authenticate box needs to be ticked too.
>
> I just opened xananews again, and there's no list of newsgroups
> anymore. I clicked on news.eternal-september.org, and all it does
> is prompt me to get messages from all groups in eternal september.
>
> Oh I've managed to do the above now. (Nothing happened when I
> clicked apply, so I clicked OK instead.) And I've found dial-up and
> connection. I'll try to do what you described earlier now. Done it,
> but I had to click OK because nothing happened when I clicked apply
> again. I don't seem to be any further on though.

Once you have entered your log-in details, and ticked the two boxes,
and clicked apply. You are set up. Or should be.

When you go back to the main interface in the far left panel of your
screen will be your eternal september account, which I assume you
named eternal-september next to a little icon... if you right-click
on the "eternal-september" (or whatever you called the account) a
grey selection box will pop up, you click the option to "Show
Newsgroup List" which should then bring you to the full list of the
newsgroups that eternal-september provides. That should be around
30,000.

If you only have the eight or nine eternal-september newsgroups you
have to go back and re-do you log-in details, passwords, and tick
those two boxes. And apply/okay. You will only see the whole list
once you are logged in properly and authenticated.

Once you have done that, subscribe to the "eternal-september.test"
newsgroup. When done that will then appear in the far left of the
main screen under the title of your account. Click on it, then click
on the "Post New" icon in the tool-bar and post a test message...
Test is all you need to enter as a subject or as a message body as it
is a test newsgroup specifically for people testing their set-up and
making sure messages can be seen.

Mark

Jan 30, 2024, 4:21:51 AMJan 30
I've done all that, and I can still only see 12 newsgroups.

Blueshirt

Jan 30, 2024, 7:47:57 AMJan 30
Mark wrote:

> On Monday, January 29, 2024 at 3:25:26 PM UTC, Blueshirt wrote:
> >
> > If you only have the eight or nine eternal-september newsgroups
> > you have to go back and re-do you log-in details, passwords, and
> > tick those two boxes. And apply/okay. You will only see the whole
> > list once you are logged in properly and authenticated.
>
> I've done all that, and I can still only see 12 newsgroups.

eternal-september when you registered with them and make sure the
log-in details they sent you are correct (User ID & Password)... copy
and paste the password from the e-mail in to the box on XanaNews if
you have to. Once all the details are 100% correct and the two boxes
are ticked you should get the full list of newsgroups provided. It's
just a log-in issue.

Re-register with eternal-september if you have to, but if you can
copy and paste the log-in details they sent you they can't be wrong.

HASM

Jan 30, 2024, 8:20:44 AMJan 30

> Re-register with eternal-september if you have to, but if you can
> copy and paste the log-in details they sent you they can't be wrong.

Before re-registering Mark could check his credentials here:
https://www.eternal-september.org/signon.php

-- HASM

Mark

Jan 30, 2024, 10:57:28 AMJan 30
I just tried that, and it said incorrect username or password. I'm pretty sure my password is correct. Do usernames have to be unique? If not, I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't have chosen Mark.

I tried re-registering and it won't let me. It just says you already have an account registered to this address.

I don't remember them sending me an e-mail when I registered.

HASM

Jan 30, 2024, 11:54:50 AMJan 30

me> Before re-registering Mark could check his credentials here:
me> https://www.eternal-september.org/signon.php

mark> I just tried that, and it said incorrect username or password.

Then try recovering your password here:
https://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=recoverp
It asks:
Please enter your UserID or your registered email address.
Your password will be sent to the email address you supplied when you registered.

Try with your email address, and you should get your password via email.
Look in your spam/junk folder it you don't get it.

-- HASM

Blueshirt

Jan 30, 2024, 2:30:00 PMJan 30
Yes, the eternal-september e-mail will be from "News Administration"
and it is the User ID: _____ and Password: ______ that is on that
e-mail that is needed to log in... copy and paste from the e-mail is
always better than trying to remember!

But once you are logged in and authenticated you won't have to do
that again... you should be able to view the full list of newsgroups
that eternal-september provide... and select the ones you want to
contribute to.

I would recommend sending 'test' messages to their .test newsgroup
first to make sure your set-up is how you want it, as you will be
able to see what you sent and how it is displayed, etc.

Mark

Feb 1, 2024, 7:08:09 AMFeb 1
Does the username have to be unique? It turned out it wasn't Mark.

Anyway I've typed in the correct user ID, and the password, and it's still only giving me 12 newsgroups.
It is loading more messages.