Usenet Auschwitz

Ion Saliu

Dec 15, 2023, 5:29:19 AM12/15/23

“Effective February 15, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.”

Au revoir les enfants!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPWn6IsnDM
https://moviesjoy.is/movie/au-revoir-les-enfants-11531

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Posting
https://saliu.com/socioculturology.html

Ion Saliu

Dec 16, 2023, 6:00:08 AM12/16/23
Doollow, Martsopolleahk, Axiomatics, Axiomatiques, Axiomatischen, Axiomáticos, Assiomatici, Axiomaticilor et al.:

We are not dead — Usenet is. Google decided to kill Usenet for all intents and purposes. The beauty of Google Groups (GG) was PERSISTENCE. The messages were ARCHIVED — i.e., saved for posterity.

From February 15, 2024, the messages will get lost in the ethereal Infinity. They will be saved temporarily on each newsreader subscriber’s domain. That’s all! Only very few readers can see them, and then the messages are wiped out for good.

Many Usenet messages were also INDEXED by Google Groups. They became available in Internet searches on some queries of value to many Netizens. I know firsthand how a valuable referring source GG is (WAS!). My website has received (up to) hundreds of referrals a month from Google Groups!

Not to mention that the newsreader services are as cumbersome as the first years of personal computing.

It is far more convenient to create one’s own Google group — also FREE (e.g., https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience moderated as well). Of course, Facebook also offers free groups (https://www.facebook.com/LotteryPowerballMillionsSoftware). Both services ARCHIVE and INDEX messages/postings.

O tempora! O mores!

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Posting
https://saliu.com/Ion_Saliu.html

nigel

Dec 18, 2023, 8:18:52 AM12/18/23
The financial pages of my newspaper listed the twelve top US tech titans
and their share price performances. Alphabet shares have risen 34% in
the last year. That doesn't look bad until you see they're bottom of the
league table and the share prices of some competitors have more than
doubled. I can sort of understand why Google is thrashing around trying
to economise :-(

Ion Saliu

Dec 19, 2023, 7:30:25 AM12/19/23
Doollow:

You right about “economise”. Not even gigantic corporations like Google can keep up with the cosmic deluge of bytes! Microsoft abandoned their group services a few years ago for the same reason. All of them can run out of storage. Forget about “cloud storage”!

I replied to Martsopolleahk with more details:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.gambling.lottery/c/V2cvQHuxxws/m/UvrwTzYzAAAJ
• World Lottery Championship RIP?

Speaking of which – It is possible to create Google grouppen in the exact manner of rec.gambling.lottery (abbreviated RGL by the likes of Kotskarr and gARY). I created such a “Google Group”. It is NOT a Usenet group; it is very much like a FORUM. It can be totally moderated.
https://groups.google.com/g/gamblingscience

It is NOT mandatory for the group to be moderated. And, of course, the group will be INDEXED by the search engines — the beauty of web-based newsgroups!

Ion “Axiomatic Parpaluck” Saliu
Founder of Philosophical Science of Posting
https://saliu.com/bbs/messages/123.html
• Disputes in newsgroups can stimulate creativity.