Rules Question: 'Before range is chosen/determined'

Mark

Feb 6, 2010, 5:04:04 PM2/6/10
I play a Cold Aura, which I replace with an Increased Strength. Can I
still play the Increased Strength?

Drain

Feb 6, 2010, 5:09:20 PM2/6/10
On 6 Fev, 22:04, Mark <markangel1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I play a Cold Aura, which I replace with an Increased Strength. Can I
> still play the Increased Strength?

Nope. Range has been determined (as long), you can't play cards that
are only usable before range is determined.

Drain

floppyzedolfin

Feb 6, 2010, 5:22:28 PM2/6/10
On 6 fév, 23:04, Mark <markangel1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I play a Cold Aura, which I replace with an Increased Strength. Can I
> still play the Increased Strength?

Yes, you can [but I can't find the reference for now..].

The "before range is set" is a timing window. It is closed when all
Methuselahs skip playing cards / using effects in this window, not
when range would be set by some effect.

Similarly, you can play Immortal Grapple on round 1 and Torn Signpost
on round 2, even though, when you play Torn Signpost, range has
already been set.

LSJ

Feb 6, 2010, 6:48:27 PM2/6/10
On Feb 6, 5:22 pm, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 fév, 23:04, Mark <markangel1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I play a Cold Aura, which I replace with an Increased Strength. Can I
> > still play the Increased Strength?
>
> Yes, you can [but I can't find the reference for now..].
>
> The "before range is set" is a timing window. It is closed when all
> Methuselahs skip playing cards / using effects in this window, not
> when range would be set by some effect.

Correct.

Drain

Feb 7, 2010, 12:52:46 AM2/7/10

And you learn something new every day. ^^

Thanks, Floppy.

Drain

Mark

Feb 8, 2010, 4:49:17 PM2/8/10

This is actually causing some fuzz between us dutch players.

Like: can you still use maneuvers when someone has played Cold Aura?
The card doesn't specifically states that you skip the 'determine
range' step, like for example Selective Silence.

And when you and your adversary are playing maneuvers to try and
determine range, can you still play a Torn Signpost, since range
hasn't been determined yet?

Only a few of the issues that came up... I'd like to elaborate a bit
more, since this causes a lot of confusion at the moment.

Kevin M.

Feb 8, 2010, 4:59:07 PM2/8/10
Mark wrote:
> This is actually causing some fuzz between us dutch players.
>
> Like: can you still use maneuvers when someone has played Cold Aura?
> The card doesn't specifically states that you skip the 'determine
> range' step, like for example Selective Silence.

Cold Aura
Combat
1 blood
Necromancy
[nec] Only usable before range is determined.
Set the range for this round to long.
[NEC] As above, with an optional press,
only usable to end combat.

It doesn't need to say "skip the determine range step" since
it says "Set the range". Set means set -- it's permanent.

There are LSJ-era cards that use both 'set' and then
"skip the determine range step". I don't know why.

> And when you and your adversary are playing maneuvers to try
> and determine range, can you still play a Torn Signpost, since range
> hasn't been determined yet?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=outline
"Only usable before range is determined" is used in the game
to mean "Only playable before the 'Determine Range' step."

That phrase should probably be changed, but I doubt it will be.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/
Please buy my cards! http://shop.ebay.com/kjmergen/m.html

Mark

Feb 8, 2010, 5:15:39 PM2/8/10
On 8 feb, 22:59, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > This is actually causing some fuzz between us dutch players.
>
> > Like: can you still use maneuvers when someone has played Cold Aura?
> > The card doesn't specifically states that you skip the 'determine
> > range' step, like for example Selective Silence.
>
> Cold Aura
> Combat
> 1 blood
> Necromancy
> [nec] Only usable before range is determined.
>       Set the range for this round to long.
> [NEC] As above, with an optional press,
>       only usable to end combat.
>
> It doesn't need to say "skip the determine range step" since
> it says "Set the range".  Set means set -- it's permanent.
>
> There are LSJ-era cards that use both 'set' and then
> "skip the determine range step".  I don't know why.

So far, I hear ya. But what happens when I play Cold Aura, and my
opponent plays Selective Silence? Both card can be played in that very
same 'time window', right? Now who 'wins'? Is the range long, or is it
close? Or can I respond by playing another Cold Aura?

Janne Hägglund

Feb 8, 2010, 5:34:48 PM2/8/10
Mark <markan...@gmail.com> writes:

Whoever sets the range first, wins. And the acting minion gets to play the
cards first, as always.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f7c9a40a31d5d9de

(Cailean vs. Shadow Step, the first opportunity for this question to be
asked.)

HG

John P.

Feb 8, 2010, 5:37:13 PM2/8/10
On Feb 8, 4:15 pm, Mark <markangel1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, I hear ya. But what happens when I play Cold Aura, and my
> opponent plays Selective Silence? Both card can be played in that very
> same 'time window', right? Now who 'wins'? Is the range long, or is it
> close? Or can I respond by playing another Cold Aura?

Once range is "set" it cannot be "re-set"

So acting minion gets first play... if they set the range then'
its done, other minion cannot play set-range cards. If the
acting minion declines and the "blocker" sets range then its equally
done and acting minion cannot then play set-range.

c.f.: impulse

John P.
Winnipeg

Kevin M.

Feb 8, 2010, 5:57:56 PM2/8/10
Mark wrote:
> "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>> Mark wrote:
>>> This is actually causing some fuzz between us dutch players.
>>
>>> Like: can you still use maneuvers when someone has played Cold Aura?
>>> The card doesn't specifically states that you skip the 'determine
>>> range' step, like for example Selective Silence.
>>
>> Cold Aura
>> Combat
>> 1 blood
>> Necromancy
>> [nec] Only usable before range is determined.
>> Set the range for this round to long.
>> [NEC] As above, with an optional press,
>> only usable to end combat.
>>
>> It doesn't need to say "skip the determine range step" since
>> it says "Set the range". Set means set -- it's permanent.
>>
>> There are LSJ-era cards that use both 'set' and then
>> "skip the determine range step". I don't know why.
>
> So far, I hear ya. But what happens when I play Cold Aura, and my
> opponent plays Selective Silence?

He can't, since he's trying to do something he can't do,
as range has already been set. It can't be re-set.

> Both card can be played in that very same 'time window', right?

Yes, but once one is played, range has been set. It can't be re-set.