Crafty annotate feature

Robert Hyatt

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
In article <4d3i1s$b...@hpbab.wv>,
Truman Collins <tcol...@wv.mentorg.com> wrote:
--> I have been playing around with the DOS 8.23 version of Crafty. I
-->wanted to use its annotate feature to analyze a game. The problem I
-->ran into was that the log file that is generated with the annotation
-->information doesn't contain the actual moves. Also, depending on the
-->verbosity level, it either writes out data for each additional ply as
-->it searches, or it doesn't write out any useful information. Ideally,
-->it would be nice to just have the analysis for the deepest ply
-->reached.
-->
--> Of course I could write a script that would merge the original
-->game file and the log file to give me what I want, but I thought maybe
-->I was missing some of the capabilities of Crafty's annotation feature.
-->What I would like is for it to write, for each annotated move, the
-->actual move that was made, the line it would choose, and the score it
-->would give itself if it made the move recommended.
-->
--> Any suggestions?
-->
-->-Truman
-->

One future plan is to have another form of the annotate, where it will
do the searching "silently" and produce only a score/PV when the move
actually made is worse than the move the search said was best. This will
give a *very* short output, with only significant things noted, rather than
the barrage of info you get right now.

--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham

Kenneth Sloan

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Here's how I use crafty to analyze:
0) create the file "analyze.600"
================
ponder off
read game
verbose 5
st=600
annotate bw 1-9999
move
quit
================
1) move the game I want to analyze to "game"
2) run: crafty <analyze >analysis
3) go to sleep
4) read "analysis" in the morning

"ponder off" was the last bug that Bob fixed for me - I don't know if
it's still necessary.

600 (st=600) is the amount of time crafty spends on each move (in seconds).

The command "move" gets an analysis of the final position.

Hope this helps.

-Ken Sloan

--
Kenneth Sloan sl...@cis.uab.edu
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213

Truman Collins

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96