Food Superstitions

1 view

Goomba38

Dec 26, 2006, 11:49:21 PM12/26/06
As we're discussing New Years food traditions, it made me think of other
food customs out there. I grew up in a family with many assorted
superstitions. For example-
"Never lay the bread upside down or the baker will get a tummy ache"
Then there was the always creepy "Don't eat too much cheese or you'll
get worms"
Of course there is the well known the "Never give a knife or scissors as
a gift or you'll cut the friendship"....and we always paid a penny
(often provided) for that type of gift.
So do you have any superstitions to share?

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 12:20:59 AM12/27/06
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:49:21 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Of course there is the well known the "Never give a knife or scissors as
>a gift or you'll cut the friendship"....and we always paid a penny
>(often provided) for that type of gift.

I'd never heard of that before I was part of my husband's family for
many years. I didn't know the superstition was that prevalent until
now!

--
See return address to reply by email

Skyhooks

Dec 27, 2006, 12:54:34 AM12/27/06

I've never heard of any of those - very interesting. Of course, there
are the usual - a black cat crossing one's path, walking beneath a
ladder, breaking mirrors, and such. I'm sure there are more.

Sky

Kathleen

Dec 27, 2006, 1:06:24 AM12/27/06
Goomba38 wrote:

"Don't eat the canned goods with the bulging lids or you might die"

Kathleen
(Who believes it)

Joseph Wailand

Dec 27, 2006, 1:20:14 AM12/27/06

"Goomba38" <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message

From grandma,
"Ingesting eggshells can give you appendicitis."

Message has been deleted

Blinky the Shark

Dec 27, 2006, 3:52:46 AM12/27/06
Joseph Wailand wrote:

When I was a kid in the '50s (USA), I was told that swallowed gum
collects in your appendix.

--
Blinky
http://blinkynet.net

Andy

Dec 27, 2006, 7:00:06 AM12/27/06
Skyhooks said...

I forget but I think it was an r.f.c member who cautioned:

"Life is short. EAT DESSERT FIRST!"
--Unknown

:D

Andy

Margaret Suran

Dec 27, 2006, 7:05:58 AM12/27/06

The best known superstition is probably the one about Spilled Salt.

As far as the Upside Down Bread is concerned, in our family it was not
the Baker who would get a tummy ache, it was the Bread itself that was
insulted and nobody wanted to take a chance on hurting the feelings of
The Staff Of Life. Thus, before putting it back in the right
position, you either apologized or kissed it.

Andy

Dec 27, 2006, 7:12:16 AM12/27/06
Margaret Suran said...

Margaret,

That reminds me of two kitchen superstitions:

Tossing some remainder of salt over your shoulder.

and maybe

Tossing a strand of spaghetti up to the ceiling to check for doneness.

Andy

Margaret Suran

Dec 27, 2006, 7:27:13 AM12/27/06

Andy wrote:
> Margaret Suran said...

>>The best known superstition is probably the one about Spilled Salt.

> Margaret,
>
> That reminds me of two kitchen superstitions:
>
> Tossing some remainder of salt over your shoulder.
>
> and maybe
>
> Tossing a strand of spaghetti up to the ceiling to check for doneness.
>
> Andy

Andy, The Tossing The Salt Over One's Shoulder is the one I referred to.

Here is my very own, somewhat OT superstition:

If the Chuckle Of The Day is a happy one, the rest of the day will be
happy, as well.

Look at what an onus this puts on you. :o)

Andy

Dec 27, 2006, 7:37:24 AM12/27/06
Margaret Suran said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Margaret Suran said...
>>

>>>The best known superstition is probably the one about Spilled Salt.
>

>> Margaret,
>>
>> That reminds me of two kitchen superstitions:
>>
>> Tossing some remainder of salt over your shoulder.
>>
>> and maybe
>>
>> Tossing a strand of spaghetti up to the ceiling to check for doneness.
>>
>> Andy
>
> Andy, The Tossing The Salt Over One's Shoulder is the one I referred to.

WHOA, a superstition with a name?!?!? That's a first!

> Here is my very own, somewhat OT superstition:
>
> If the Chuckle Of The Day is a happy one, the rest of the day will be
> happy, as well.
>
> Look at what an onus this puts on you. :o)

<Chuckle> <Hugs>

Andy

limey

Dec 27, 2006, 10:33:03 AM12/27/06

"Goomba38" <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I grew up with the custom of handing over a penny if given a knife or
scissors.

Also - if you spill salt, toss a pinch over your shoulder or you'll have bad
luck.

Dora

limey

Dec 27, 2006, 10:34:41 AM12/27/06
I forgot! "Too much vinegar will dry your blood."

Dora

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 10:56:42 AM12/27/06
Joseph Wailand wrote:

> From grandma,
> "Ingesting eggshells can give you appendicitis."

I thought it was swallowing your gum caused appendicitis?? LOL

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 11:01:25 AM12/27/06
limey wrote:

> I grew up with the custom of handing over a penny if given a knife or
> scissors.
>
> Also - if you spill salt, toss a pinch over your shoulder or you'll have bad
> luck.
>
> Dora

Yeah, my father was always tossing salt around his shoulders. I'd
forgotten that before. So many times he would perform certain actions
without really commenting on what he was doing or why that they became
part of his image in my mind.
Sitting at the dinner table, 7 of us, I know he would often grumble and
point the evil eye at someone as he was being stern. Perhaps a warning
or just teasing...?

yetanotherBob

Dec 27, 2006, 11:17:42 AM12/27/06
In article <gq2dncPLrtnOZgzY...@comcast.com>, goomba38
@comcast.net says...

> So do you have any superstitions to share?

Does "no meat on Fridays" qualify?

How about the myriad dictates of Kashrut?

Bob

Message has been deleted

The Ranger

Dec 27, 2006, 11:56:59 AM12/27/06
Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Superstitions?"

> Of course there is the well known the "Never give a
> knife or scissors as a gift or you'll cut the friendship"
> ...and we always paid a penny (often provided) for
> that type of gift.

I've never heard of this one... And my Sainted Mother(tm) knew a lot
of them... What's the penny signify?

Her favorite was if she spilled salt, tossing a "pinch" over her
shoulder into the demon's eyes. As she got older, that pinch became
much more pronounced.

Another was when she had to collect a fresh chicken (or three) from
Gma's chicken coop... Once caught, she'd thank the chicken for
"willingly providing" for our feast, ring its neck, and have Little
Brother and me clean the damned thing.

The Ranger

The Ranger

Dec 27, 2006, 12:08:08 PM12/27/06
Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:49:21 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
> > So do you have any superstitions to share?
> >
> Never offer whipped cream during a bad date.

Nah... That'll help turn a bad date good.

The Ranger

Nancy Young

Dec 27, 2006, 12:14:17 PM12/27/06

"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote

> I've never heard of this one... And my Sainted Mother(tm) knew a lot
> of them... What's the penny signify?

That it's not a gift, you are paying for the knife. I gave knives
to a friend at her bridal shower (they were on her list) and
I had the gift wrapper tape shiny pennies to the blades so she
could pay me.

nancy

Message has been deleted

<RJ>

Dec 27, 2006, 1:30:37 PM12/27/06

If the woman's on top, you get a girl.
If she's on the bottom, you get a boy......

<rj>

The Ranger

Dec 27, 2006, 1:32:55 PM12/27/06
Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
[snip]
> I had first written "ugly date"
[snip]

The difference between "ugh-lee" and bad is simply the level of
alcohol you'd need to consume... ;)

The "No personal experiences either way" Ranger

bajam...@yahoo.com

Dec 27, 2006, 1:34:18 PM12/27/06

bajam...@yahoo.com

Dec 27, 2006, 1:34:56 PM12/27/06

bajam...@yahoo.com

Dec 27, 2006, 1:41:52 PM12/27/06

Goomba38 wrote:
> As we're discussing New Years food traditions, it made me think of other
> food customs out there. I grew up in a family with many assorted
> superstitions. For example-
> "Never lay the bread upside down or the baker will get a tummy ache"
> Then there was the always creepy "Don't eat too much cheese or you'll
> get worms"
> Of course there is the well known the "Never give a knife or scissors as
> a gift or you'll cut the friendship"....and we always paid a penny

> (often provided) for that type of gift.
> So do you have any superstitions to share?

In the Italian/Sicilian culture, the evil eye will sour milk, both
dairy mothers'
Another one I liked was if you found a burnt piece of garlic in the
sauce it was good luck, same in Mexico, a piece of burnt tortilla does
it for you. but your have to eat it to bring it on.

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 1:53:34 PM12/27/06
On 27 Dec 2006 08:52:46 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no....@box.invalid>
wrote:

>When I was a kid in the '50s (USA), I was told that swallowed gum
>collects in your appendix.

Well, you were told wrong.
They stick to your ribs.

;)

--
See return address to reply by email

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 1:58:53 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:14:17 -0500, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:
It has something to do with the sharp edge of the knife cutting
friendship. I don't know what a symbolic purchase has to do with not
cutting friendship, but that's the way the superstition goes.

Nancy Young

Dec 27, 2006, 2:00:22 PM12/27/06

<sf> wrote

Because you didn't give them a sharp object, they bought it
from you.

nancy

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 2:51:46 PM12/27/06
On 27 Dec 2006 10:41:52 -0800, bajam...@yahoo.com wrote:

>In the Italian/Sicilian culture, the evil eye will sour milk, both
>dairy mothers'

What is this evil eye thing? I've always heard about it, but would
have no idea if someone was giving it to me or not. How could I tell?
Is it that two fingered thing (forefinger and little finger)?

Nancy Young

Dec 27, 2006, 3:42:59 PM12/27/06

"Steve Wertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote

> I had first written "ugly date" but that little Angel on my
> shoulder told me not to. He's now been replaced by a little red
> dude with a pitchfork.

So what are you saying, you go on blind dates? Or you ask
people out when you're plastered and you think they look good.

nancy

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 27, 2006, 4:05:45 PM12/27/06
In article <12p59c3...@corp.supernews.com>,
"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Superstitions?"
> > Of course there is the well known the "Never give a
> > knife or scissors as a gift or you'll cut the friendship"
> > ...and we always paid a penny (often provided) for
> > that type of gift.
>
> I've never heard of this one... And my Sainted Mother(tm) knew a lot
> of them... What's the penny signify?

That it was not a gift. The recipient has to give the giver money --
that makes it a purchase. Can't get much smaller than a penny.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/23, stupid cookies
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Celtic Soup

Dec 27, 2006, 4:06:00 PM12/27/06

Goomba38 wrote:

> So do you have any superstitions to share?

These were my grandmothers (who grew up n NYC during the Depression)

Never eat a banana at night--you'll get nightmares.

Never drink the water out of the bathroom sink.

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 27, 2006, 4:07:23 PM12/27/06
In article <a8qdnTTy_ptLBQ_Y...@comcast.com>,

Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sitting at the dinner table, 7 of us, I know he would often grumble and
> point the evil eye at someone as he was being stern. Perhaps a warning
> or just teasing...?

Is the Evil Eye the same thing as The Look?

TammyM

Dec 27, 2006, 4:15:30 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:07:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <a8qdnTTy_ptLBQ_Y...@comcast.com>,
> Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Sitting at the dinner table, 7 of us, I know he would often grumble and
>> point the evil eye at someone as he was being stern. Perhaps a warning
>> or just teasing...?
>
>Is the Evil Eye the same thing as The Look?

Man, oh man, my mom has MEAN one of those! To this day, and I'm
nearly 47, she can stop me in my tracks with that look!

TammyM

ObFood: pot roast for dinner tonight, along with some spaetzle, and a
nice big spinach salad

limey

Dec 27, 2006, 5:06:42 PM12/27/06

"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

The reason I was given as a kid was that if you didn't pay the penny, the
friendship/relationship/family tie would be cut!

Dora

Message has been deleted

Tara

Dec 27, 2006, 5:22:48 PM12/27/06
No swimming until thirty minutes after you eat!
Make a wish when you eat the point of a piece of pie.

Tara

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:36:56 PM12/27/06
Same with luggage, purses, wallets and the like. They're given with a
coin inside so that they'll never be empty.
I feel very strongly about that one, as did my parents before me. I gave
my daughter luggage this year and each piece contained a 10 pfennig
coin. She won't accidentally spend it and leave the luggage empty then.

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:38:17 PM12/27/06

While my original intent was *food related* superstitions.. I recall
reading about the momma to be eating bananas for one gender desired, and
something different if they wanted the other gender baby. Does that ring
any bells with anyone?

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:46:01 PM12/27/06
sf wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2006 10:41:52 -0800, bajam...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> In the Italian/Sicilian culture, the evil eye will sour milk, both
>> dairy mothers'
>
> What is this evil eye thing? I've always heard about it, but would
> have no idea if someone was giving it to me or not. How could I tell?
> Is it that two fingered thing (forefinger and little finger)?

lol, not to be confused with the good ole "Hook 'em Horns!" sign of
which I'm more fond being from a good Longhorn family.

The evil eye, mal occhio, (sounds like "malorca" as my father said it)
as I was taught was almost like an evil Nonna who could be jealous and
vindictive. You didn't want to incite her jealousy, so you don't fawn
over babies too loudly or do anything (which varied depending on the
mood of my father) that would bring you to "her" attention.

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:47:47 PM12/27/06
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <a8qdnTTy_ptLBQ_Y...@comcast.com>,
> Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Sitting at the dinner table, 7 of us, I know he would often grumble and
>> point the evil eye at someone as he was being stern. Perhaps a warning
>> or just teasing...?
>
> Is the Evil Eye the same thing as The Look?

nooooooo, "the Look" ..as perfected by mothers, has much more potential
for pain.. lol

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:49:30 PM12/27/06
Steve Wertz wrote:

> I sometimes go out with women who I'm not romantically interested
> in - just as friends. Some are pretty, some aren't exactly.
> Either way, I wouldn't bring up any whipped cream conversations.
>
> -sw
My husband would joke about "two baggers"....you've heard of those types
before right?

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 5:50:43 PM12/27/06
oh you reminded me- What about the baby doll or trinket in the King Cake
during Mardi Gras? Is that good luck, or just the obligation to host the
next party?

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 6:02:13 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:46:01 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>lol, not to be confused with the good ole "Hook 'em Horns!" sign of
>which I'm more fond being from a good Longhorn family.

AHA! So that's what it is! http://tinylink.com/?xpSp9UqjDq I
guess we kids got mixed up because apparently they flash that sign
while singing The *Eyes* of Texas. LOL!

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 27, 2006, 6:35:28 PM12/27/06
In article <4592e221....@news.ucdavis.edu>,
m...@privacy.net (TammyM) wrote:

Yes, well when The Look has to be directed to Small Child AND the
Grandfather, the Baba's ship has left port and sunk in the harbor.
Honest to Alex, I can't win! EVERYbody gangs up on me.

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 6:36:05 PM12/27/06
You forgot.. we *stand* for that song too!

janos...@hotmail.com

Dec 27, 2006, 7:35:06 PM12/27/06

My old aunt years ago would never permit any batter or sauce to be
stirred counterclockwise after it had been mixed clockwise. It would
unwind.

Another is that if you dropped a piece of food on the ground, it would
be okay to eat if you "kissed it up to god". This might only apply to
children... or their mom's who didn't want them to waste food.

Tara

Dec 27, 2006, 7:42:35 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:50:43 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>oh you reminded me- What about the baby doll or trinket in the King Cake
>during Mardi Gras? Is that good luck, or just the obligation to host the
>next party?

The baby represents the Baby Jesus. I know you have to buy the next
King Cake if you get it.

Tara

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 7:51:34 PM12/27/06
janos...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Another is that if you dropped a piece of food on the ground, it would
> be okay to eat if you "kissed it up to god". This might only apply to
> children... or their mom's who didn't want them to waste food.

Wow... the origin of the "five second rule" LOL

Terry Pulliam Burd

Dec 27, 2006, 9:36:31 PM12/27/06
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:49:21 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

>So do you have any superstitions to share?

I recall two: "Fruit before bed settles like lead" and "Never eat new
potatoes in a month with an "R." Don't ask me the genesis of either.

My mother had superstitions and sayings for every occasion. Fer
instance, depending on what point she was trying to make, "Look before
you leap" or "He who hesitates is lost." <sigh> I was a confused child
who grew up into a confused adult.

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 9:40:05 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:35:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Yes, well when The Look has to be directed to Small Child AND the
>Grandfather, the Baba's ship has left port and sunk in the harbor.
>Honest to Alex, I can't win! EVERYbody gangs up on me.

Not exactly *everybody*.
<sigh>
I can relate, sometimes you feel like the only enlightened one in a
family of cave people.

Blinky the Shark

Dec 27, 2006, 9:56:06 PM12/27/06
TammyM wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:07:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
><barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <a8qdnTTy_ptLBQ_Y...@comcast.com>,
>> Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Sitting at the dinner table, 7 of us, I know he would often grumble and
>>> point the evil eye at someone as he was being stern. Perhaps a warning
>>> or just teasing...?
>>
>>Is the Evil Eye the same thing as The Look?
>
> Man, oh man, my mom has MEAN one of those! To this day, and I'm
> nearly 47, she can stop me in my tracks with that look!

FWIW, it's also called the stink eye.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

modom (palindrome guy)

Dec 27, 2006, 10:16:52 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:05:45 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <12p59c3...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > "Superstitions?"
>> > Of course there is the well known the "Never give a
>> > knife or scissors as a gift or you'll cut the friendship"
>> > ...and we always paid a penny (often provided) for
>> > that type of gift.
>>
>> I've never heard of this one... And my Sainted Mother(tm) knew a lot
>> of them... What's the penny signify?
>
>That it was not a gift. The recipient has to give the giver money --
>that makes it a purchase. Can't get much smaller than a penny.

I just did exactly that with my daughter. I gave her a couple of nice
little santoku knives for Christmas and demanded a penny to preserve
our bond. I believe it worked.
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html

sf

Dec 27, 2006, 10:36:33 PM12/27/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:36:05 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Honest to goodness..... *I didn't know*. You're giving me a real
educatumation, woman! Is there something else I've missed?

:)

Goomba38

Dec 27, 2006, 10:53:59 PM12/27/06
sf wrote:
>> You forgot.. we *stand* for that song too!
>
> Honest to goodness..... *I didn't know*. You're giving me a real
> educatumation, woman! Is there something else I've missed?
>
> :)

Probably gobs. But if I told you, I'd then have to kill you... and there
would be no more food chat,eh?
ObFood: tonight's dinner-leftover moo shu pork over rice.

janos...@hotmail.com

Dec 27, 2006, 11:13:24 PM12/27/06

Now I'm curious.
What is the 5 second rule?

Ed Rinehart

Dec 27, 2006, 11:25:14 PM12/27/06
Goomba38 wrote:

HMMMMPF! You folks in Baja Oklahoma will stand for pert'near anything (G).

Ed Rinehart (who stands for (BOOMER SOONER).

cybercat

Dec 27, 2006, 11:49:14 PM12/27/06

<janos...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Food that has only been on the floor/ground for 5 seconds is still okay to
eat.

janos...@hotmail.com

Dec 28, 2006, 1:03:30 AM12/28/06

Funny.
I'll be sure to pass this along to my nieces and nephews. It doesn't
bother them to teach the old farts a lesson or 2.

sf

Dec 28, 2006, 3:27:53 AM12/28/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:49:14 -0500, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Well you sometimes you have to blow off a few animal hairs or dust,
but often you send it a good puff 'just in case".

Margaret Suran

Dec 28, 2006, 7:12:36 AM12/28/06

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:36:05 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>sf wrote:

>>>AHA! So that's what it is! http://tinylink.com/?xpSp9UqjDq I
>>>guess we kids got mixed up because apparently they flash that sign
>>>while singing The *Eyes* of Texas. LOL!
>>>

>>You forgot.. we *stand* for that song too!
>

> Honest to goodness..... *I didn't know*. You're giving me a real
> educatumation, woman! Is there something else I've missed?
>
> :)

Yes, I have not seen a post about the magical powers of Garlic. Not
only will it cure you of intestinal worms, it will also keep away
Vampires. Or attract them, I don't remember which.

Gabby

Dec 28, 2006, 7:39:39 AM12/28/06

Goomba38 wrote:
> As we're discussing New Years food traditions, it made me think of other
> food customs out there. I grew up in a family with many assorted
> superstitions. For example-
> "Never lay the bread upside down or the baker will get a tummy ache"
> Then there was the always creepy "Don't eat too much cheese or you'll
> get worms"

> Of course there is the well known the "Never give a knife or scissors as
> a gift or you'll cut the friendship"....and we always paid a penny

> (often provided) for that type of gift.
> So do you have any superstitions to share?

"Eating fresh hot bread will give you indigestion." That one was
probably started by mothers who wanted some bread left over for
breakfast.

"When you first cut a cucumber you must rub the two cut edges against
each other to take out the poison."

"You must never drink milk or eat ice cream when you've eaten lobster."

Gabby

yetanotherBob

Dec 28, 2006, 9:51:09 AM12/28/06
In article <UwOkh.3876$pQ3....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
marg...@no.spam.for.me.invalid says...

> Yes, I have not seen a post about the magical powers of Garlic. Not
> only will it cure you of intestinal worms, it will also keep away
> Vampires. Or attract them, I don't remember which.

It keeps them away. I've eaten garlic all my life and I've *never* had
a problem with vampires.

Bob

PeterL

Dec 28, 2006, 9:57:15 AM12/28/06
yetanotherBob <yetano...@gmail.com> wrote in

Been eating garlic for a long time now......... seems to also keep the
werewolves at bay, as well as the midges and mossies.

And non-garlic-eating girls.

Good thing the SO of 13&1/2 years is a garlic lover:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/videos/poster_girl.shtml

yetanotherBob

Dec 28, 2006, 10:35:52 AM12/28/06
In article <Xns98A89C30...@218.100.0.53>, inbr...@home.oz
says...

> Been eating garlic for a long time now......... seems to also keep the
> werewolves at bay, as well as the midges and mossies.
>
> And non-garlic-eating girls.
>
> Good thing the SO of 13&1/2 years is a garlic lover:-)

My experience with the non-garlic-eating girls has been that it doesn't
necessarily keep them away, at least initially, but it does seem *very*
effective at keeping them from returning. (Which Works For Me, as the
saying goes.)

Bob

Margaret Suran

Dec 28, 2006, 10:46:26 AM12/28/06

I believe it is not eating garlic, but you must wear a garlic clove in
a small pouch on a string around your neck. Now I will worry that
you will encounter a Vampire before you get the proper protection. :o(

Someone gave me a bracelet once, to keep me safe from Lions and Tigers
and it has really worked like a charm until now. But that has nothing
to do with food, unless it stops working and I become someone's lunch.

PeterL

Dec 28, 2006, 10:43:16 AM12/28/06
yetanotherBob <yetano...@gmail.com> wrote in

LOL!! My SO was never a garlic eater before she met me :-)

I think I was a wog in a past life!!

The Ranger

Dec 28, 2006, 11:04:02 AM12/28/06
yetanotherBob <yetano...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

From John Carpenter's "Vampires" (1998) with Jack Crow (James Woods)
pontificating about vampires:

Jack Crow: You ever seen a vampire?
Father Adam Guiteau: No I haven't.
Jack Crow: No... Well first of all, they're not romatic. Its not
like they're a bunch of fuckin' fags hoppin' around in rented formal
wear and seducing everybody in sight with cheesy Euro-trash accents,
all right? Forget whatever you've seen in the movies: they don't
turn into bats, crosses don't work. Garlic? You wanna try garlic?
You could stand there with garlic around your neck and one of these
buggers will bend you fucking over and take a walk up your
strada-chocolata WHILE he's suckin' the blood outta your neck, all
right? And they don't sleep in coffins lined in taffata. You wanna
kill one, you drive a wooden stake right through his fuckin' heart.
Sunlight turns 'em into crispy critters.

An earthy description but charming in a James Woods' sort of way...

The Ranger

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:08:31 AM12/28/06
yetanotherBob said...

If I eat too much garlic, never mind garlic breath, it comes out in sweat
for about a day. You can't shower that stink away! :(

Andy

The Ranger

Dec 28, 2006, 11:16:38 AM12/28/06
Andy <q> wrote in message

> If I eat too much garlic, never mind garlic breath, it comes
> out in sweat for about a day. You can't shower that stink
> away! :(

Andy, you remember the old ad jingle, "A sprinkle a day..." It
works. (Just expect a mild amount of hazing.)

The "Better that than the alternative" Ranger

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:18:19 AM12/28/06
Goomba38 said...

> So do you have any superstitions to share?

Celery provides negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a medium
stalk of celery than the calories it provides.

Under the microscope, that same stalk contains 0.07g. of fat.

Andy

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:31:42 AM12/28/06
The Ranger said...

The Ranger,

Sorry, it doesn't ring a bell. I google'd the quote and lots of references
to soaps popped up.

Care to elaborate?

Andy

PeterL

Dec 28, 2006, 11:33:47 AM12/28/06
Andy <q> wrote in news:Xns98A7715...@216.196.97.136:

Much like Bundy Rum.

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:38:02 AM12/28/06
Green M&Ms are an aphrodisiac.

Margaret Suran

Dec 28, 2006, 11:39:55 AM12/28/06

Andy wrote:

> If I eat too much garlic, never mind garlic breath, it comes out in sweat
> for about a day. You can't shower that stink away! :(
>
> Andy

During all those years, how many Vampires have attacked you? None,
you say? Oh, well, then doesn't that prove the theory about Garlic
and Vampires? Or are you trying to be a Wise Guy?

The Ranger

Dec 28, 2006, 11:51:17 AM12/28/06
Andy <q> wrote in message

> The Ranger said...
> > Andy <q> wrote in message
> >> If I eat too much garlic, never mind garlic breath, it comes
> >> out in sweat for about a day. You can't shower that stink
> >> away! :(
> >
> > Andy, you remember the old ad jingle, "A sprinkle a day..."
> > It works. (Just expect a mild amount of hazing.)
> >
> > The "Better that than the alternative" Ranger
> >
> Sorry, it doesn't ring a bell. I google'd the quote and lots
> of references to soaps popped up.
>
> Care to elaborate?

Johnson and Johnson's Baby Powder. If the "Fresh Rain" is too much
(and it is to me), the unscented works just fine. You aren't
offending people ten seconds before you enter a room. :)

The Ranger

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:54:03 AM12/28/06
Margaret Suran said...

Margaret,

Heh, heh, heh! I'M certainly not going to dispute the myth!!!

Andy

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 11:58:05 AM12/28/06
The Ranger said...

> Johnson and Johnson's Baby Powder. If the "Fresh Rain" is too much
> (and it is to me), the unscented works just fine. You aren't
> offending people ten seconds before you enter a room. :)

But ten seconds after entering I am??? :D

Andy

TammyM

Dec 28, 2006, 12:00:23 PM12/28/06
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:40:05 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:35:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
><barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>Yes, well when The Look has to be directed to Small Child AND the
>>Grandfather, the Baba's ship has left port and sunk in the harbor.
>>Honest to Alex, I can't win! EVERYbody gangs up on me.
>
>Not exactly *everybody*.
><sigh>
>I can relate, sometimes you feel like the only enlightened one in a
>family of cave people.

Or as my dear late-daddy used to say, some days you're the dog, some
days you're the fire hydrant.

TammyM

ObFood:

AUBERGINES BAYILDI

Servings: 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side
From Le Cordon Bleu Paris Superior Cuisine.

2 eggplants
olive oil
2 garlic cloves
bunch basil
------
2 tomatoes
2 zucchini
2-1/8 oz grated cheese
3/4 oz fresh breadcrumbs

Halve eggplants lengthwise, then score around perimeter and in
crosshatch pattern on flesh. Brush with olive oil and bake at 200C
until golden. When cool enough to handle, spoon out flesh then chop
well with garlic and basil. Refill shells and chill.
Peel tomatoes, then slice as desired. Slice zucchini to same thickness
then lightly sautee in olive oil.
Mix cheese - parmesan, gruyere, etc. - with breadcrumbs.
Fill eggplant with vertical, alternating slices of tomato and
eggplant, press on breadcrumb/cheese mixture, sprinkle with olive oil.

Bake at 200C until golden. Remove from oven and cool to just warm
before serving. Can also be served chilled.

The Ranger

Dec 28, 2006, 12:04:29 PM12/28/06
Andy <q> wrote in message

Someone with minimal social grace will make a comment about it but
the group won't have removed themselves to the furthest corner in
the room, huddling in terror at your presense... ;)

The Ranger

Ken Davey

Dec 28, 2006, 12:59:04 PM12/28/06

"TammyM" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:40:05 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:35:28 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>><barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes, well when The Look has to be directed to Small Child AND the
>>>Grandfather, the Baba's ship has left port and sunk in the harbor.
>>>Honest to Alex, I can't win! EVERYbody gangs up on me.
>>
>>Not exactly *everybody*.
>><sigh>
>>I can relate, sometimes you feel like the only enlightened one in a
>>family of cave people.
>
> Or as my dear late-daddy used to say, some days you're the dog, some
> days you're the fire hydrant.
>
> TammyM

bug<>windshield

--
Regards.
Ken.

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=9184296B-D4ED-49A2-A173-AEB0DD18A6CE

Sheldon

Dec 28, 2006, 1:09:17 PM12/28/06

Goomba38 wrote:
> As we're discussing New Years food traditions, it made me think of other
> food customs out there. I grew up in a family with many assorted
> superstitions. For example-
> "Never lay the bread upside down or the baker will get a tummy ache"
> Then there was the always creepy "Don't eat too much cheese or you'll
> get worms"
<non-food superstitions snipped>

> So do you have any superstitions to share?

Nursing makes women horny (men too).

Sheldon

kilikini

Dec 28, 2006, 1:13:32 PM12/28/06
Andy wrote:
> yetanotherBob said...
>
>> In article <Xns98A89C30...@218.100.0.53>, inbr...@home.oz
>> says...
>>>

> If I eat too much garlic, never mind garlic breath, it comes out in
> sweat for about a day. You can't shower that stink away! :(
>
> Andy

That happens to me, too! I used to work out with my best friend back on
Maui. We'd be on the treadmill for a warm up, she'd squint her eyes up,
wrinkle her nose say, "Did you have garlic today for lunch?" Sometimes all
it took to give me the "scent" was Italian dressing on a salad!

kili

TammyM

Dec 28, 2006, 1:16:12 PM12/28/06

You've been peering through my windows again, haven't you? <g> I have
a sign in my kitchen that says "home is where the dog hair sticks to
everything but the dog". :-)

TammyM

yetanotherBob

Dec 28, 2006, 1:25:25 PM12/28/06
In article <mFRkh.3912$pQ3....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
marg...@no.spam.for.me.invalid says...

> I believe it is not eating garlic, but you must wear a garlic clove in
> a small pouch on a string around your neck. Now I will worry that
> you will encounter a Vampire before you get the proper protection. :o(

Please, not to worry!

As it happens, I usually end up wearing a good bit of what I eat. Ergo,
ipso facto, etc., I'm probably covered.

Bob :-)

yetanotherBob

Dec 28, 2006, 1:32:43 PM12/28/06
In article <459409cb....@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net says...

> You've been peering through my windows again, haven't you? <g> I have
> a sign in my kitchen that says "home is where the dog hair sticks to
> everything but the dog". :-)
>
> TammyM

But don't you find that your rugs and carpets last much longer? Every
so often we'll peel off the veneer of cat hair that builds up on the
rugs, and I swear, they look like new! Well, except for the sites of
various "accidents", but still... ;-)

Bob

Margaret Suran

Dec 28, 2006, 1:35:57 PM12/28/06

yetanotherBob wrote:

> Please, not to worry!
>
> As it happens, I usually end up wearing a good bit of what I eat. Ergo,
> ipso facto, etc., I'm probably covered.
>
> Bob :-)

Yes, that is good. I see that you also mention your dogs, an Ergo and
an Ipso Facto, who keep you covered. In these uncertain days, you
cannot be careful enough. M

kilikini

Dec 28, 2006, 1:42:37 PM12/28/06

Literally covered! ROFL!!!!

kili

yetanotherBob

Dec 28, 2006, 1:50:02 PM12/28/06
In article <h8Ukh.3950$pQ3....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
marg...@no.spam.for.me.invalid says...

> Yes, that is good. I see that you also mention your dogs, an Ergo and
> an Ipso Facto, who keep you covered. In these uncertain days, you
> cannot be careful enough. M

LOL!

Bob [reminded that I've got to go clean up the Ipso Factoids now]

Goomba38

Dec 28, 2006, 2:04:53 PM12/28/06
Margaret Suran wrote:

> Yes, I have not seen a post about the magical powers of Garlic. Not
> only will it cure you of intestinal worms, it will also keep away
> Vampires. Or attract them, I don't remember which.

I think it's keep them at bay. Garlic and crosses seem to annoy those vamps.

Of course there is also the debate about "feed a cold, starve a fever"
or is that "starve a cold, feed a fever" ?? <shrug> I can't keep those
straight.

Goomba38

Dec 28, 2006, 2:07:42 PM12/28/06
Gabby wrote:

> "You must never drink milk or eat ice cream when you've eaten lobster."
> Gabby

We loved eating Sunday dinner at Grandma's house. We could drink
coca-cola with the meal (or wine or mixers..heck.. even a screwdriver,
lol) instead of the milk we normally had to drink with meals at home. My
grandmother felt it was just *wrong* (for unstated reasons) to drink
milk with tomato sauced macaroni. What a treat that was!

Nancy Young

Dec 28, 2006, 2:34:02 PM12/28/06

"Goomba38" <goom...@comcast.net> wrote

> We loved eating Sunday dinner at Grandma's house. We could drink coca-cola
> with the meal (or wine or mixers..heck.. even a screwdriver, lol) instead
> of the milk we normally had to drink with meals at home. My grandmother
> felt it was just *wrong* (for unstated reasons) to drink milk with tomato
> sauced macaroni. What a treat that was!

Are you implying that your grandmother was wrong? Cause, she
had it right.

nancy

Goomba38

Dec 28, 2006, 2:54:04 PM12/28/06

<gasp!> Grandma wrong?! Never. But I never quite understood the reason
she didn't allow it? Language barriers to explain her reasoning existed
for sure, but it was just the rule and we all caught on quickly. As I
said, we could drink things during those Sunday afternoon meals that in
our own daily home were verbotten, or at least wayyyyyyy more regulated.
No one would bat an eye at a kid of 13 or so drinking wine or even
mixing a screwdriver up (gads!) but try pouring a glass of milk to go
with that meal .... ai ai ai!!

Mr Libido Incognito

Dec 28, 2006, 4:04:03 PM12/28/06
Margaret Suran wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

"If you don't eat you'll die" is a superstition from my childhood.

Nancy Young

Dec 28, 2006, 4:46:40 PM12/28/06

"Goomba38" <goom...@comcast.net> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Goomba38" <goom...@comcast.net> wrote
>>
>>> We loved eating Sunday dinner at Grandma's house. We could drink
>>> coca-cola with the meal (or wine or mixers..heck.. even a screwdriver,
>>> lol) instead of the milk we normally had to drink with meals at home. My
>>> grandmother felt it was just *wrong* (for unstated reasons) to drink
>>> milk with tomato sauced macaroni. What a treat that was!
>>
>> Are you implying that your grandmother was wrong? Cause, she
>> had it right.

> <gasp!> Grandma wrong?! Never. But I never quite understood the reason she

> didn't allow it? Language barriers to explain her reasoning existed for
> sure, but it was just the rule and we all caught on quickly. As I said, we
> could drink things during those Sunday afternoon meals that in our own
> daily home were verbotten, or at least wayyyyyyy more regulated. No one
> would bat an eye at a kid of 13 or so drinking wine or even mixing a
> screwdriver up (gads!) but try pouring a glass of milk to go with that
> meal .... ai ai ai!!

Heh, that's funny. And milk doesn't go with tomato sauce, everyone
knows that. Wine, sure! Soda, great. No milk.

That's a cute memory of your grandmother.

nancy

Andy

Dec 28, 2006, 4:48:53 PM12/28/06
Goomba38 said...

ROFLMAO!!!

Andy

<RJ>

Dec 28, 2006, 6:00:39 PM12/28/06

I've always had a thing for nurses....... ;o)
<rj>

Victor Sack

Dec 28, 2006, 5:56:03 PM12/28/06
TammyM <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> AUBERGINES BAYILDI

> From Le Cordon Bleu Paris Superior Cuisine.

Shameful, simply shameful! Feh! Do they include chili and curry and
"goulash" in that Superior Cuisine, too? Fainting aubergines, indeed!

Victor

It is loading more messages.