H.D. poetry

Terry Stomp

Jul 7, 2021, 6:01:43 PM7/7/21
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 9:29:48 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:07:34 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> >
> > Heat, by H.D.
> >
> > O wind, rend open the heat,
> > cut apart the heat,
> > rend it to tatters.
> > [...]
> >
> > https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2018/08/heat-hd.html
> Hilda Doolittle, nice find, one of the original American avant-garde:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/UgluDPA17qs/8qwh1beTCQAJ
>
> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
> Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
> have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
> 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
> as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free
> Versers".
>
> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this
> group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...]
> poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>
> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the
> writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because
> they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter
> and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>
> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and
> beyond...
>
> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and
> others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the
> generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>
> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>
> Richard Aldington
> Amy Lowell
> Vacel Lindsay
> Harry Kemp
> Donald Evans
> Allen Norton
> Louise Norton
> H.D. aka Hilda Doolittle
> Mina Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

Right on...

Will Dockery

Aug 21, 2021, 11:59:46 PM8/21/21
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > Mina Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> Right on...

Hilary Doolittle, not Hilda ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Terry Stomp

Aug 31, 2021, 4:35:59 PM8/31/21
Indeed.... so sorry....

George J. Dance

Aug 31, 2021, 8:15:54 PM8/31/21
Wrong.

George J. Dance

Aug 31, 2021, 8:18:45 PM8/31/21
Don't be. H.D.'s first name was Hilda.

"Hilary" isn't even a woman's name.

Paul Vicious

Sep 1, 2021, 6:02:02 PM9/1/21
Wow, Doc got it backwards....!

Will Dockery

Sep 2, 2021, 10:50:58 PM9/2/21
Sorry, I don't know how I got the names turned around.

Paul Vicious

Sep 3, 2021, 2:58:18 PM9/3/21
No problem Doc we all have senior moments in out old age...