Poets of Revolt aka Free-Versers

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2015, 4:19:57 PM9/9/15
Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free
Versers".

Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this
group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...]
poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."

The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the
writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because
they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter
and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.

In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and
beyond...

The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and
others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the
generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.

Poets loosely associated with these groups included:

Richard Aldington
Amy Lowell
Vacel Lindsay
Harry Kemp
Donald Evans
Allen Norton
Louise Norton
H.D.
Mirna Loy
William Carlos Williams
Alfred Kreymborg
Ezra Pound

In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:

"It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

And so it goes... so it shall ever be.

:D

Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Sep 9, 2015, 6:35:39 PM9/9/15

"Blackpooljimmy" wrote in message
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stanford..died way too
> young.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

Thanks Jimmy, I'll have a look and read when I return later tonight.

:D

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Apr 14, 2016, 5:50:16 AM4/14/16
drive-by wrote:
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>
> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

I see, Frank Stanford is an interesting figure, indeed:

"Frank Stanford 1948-1978 Born in 1948, Stanford was a prolific poet known for his originality and ingenuity. He has been dubbed "a swamprat Rimbaud" by Lorenzo Thomas and "one of the great voices of death" by Franz Wright. He grew up in Mississippi, Tennessee, and then Arkansas, where he lived for most of his life and wrote many of his most powerful poems. He attended the University of Arkansas from 1967-9 and studied engineering while continuing to write poetry. Stanford died in 1978. He authored over ten books of poetry, including eight volumes in the last seven years of his life: The Singing Knives (1972), Ladies from Hell (1974), Field Talk (1974), Shade (1975), Arkansas Bench Stone (1975), Constant Stranger (1976), The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You (1977), and Crib Death (1978)..."

Just thirty years old when he passed away, sad.

Definitely am looking forward to reading some of his poetry, hopefully later this morning, if time permits.

:D

Will Dockery

Nov 26, 2016, 11:57:32 AM11/26/16
"Blackpooljimmy" wrote in message
Worth it....

Finally getting back to this, and to checking out Frank Standford.

Thanks again, Jimmy.

Will Dockery

Nov 26, 2016, 11:59:59 AM11/26/16
"Blackpooljimmy" wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

Bumped to the tope for easy access in the future.

Will Dockery

Nov 26, 2016, 3:07:48 PM11/26/16
Some good information on what apparently began the Modern Age of poetry, correct Michael and George D?

Richard Oakley

Nov 26, 2016, 3:50:37 PM11/26/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:07:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> Some good information on what apparently began the Modern Age of poetry, correct Michael and George D?

I'm of the persuasion of using as many outlets, voices, emotions, and tones as possible. I try to use the form that conveys my current view the best. This 'view' is ever change and ebbs and flows, rises and falls with the current I'm bound to.

Will Dockery

Nov 26, 2016, 5:00:15 PM11/26/16
Agreed, I have always strived to be somewhat eclectic as well.

Michael Pendragon

Nov 26, 2016, 10:31:54 PM11/26/16
Also agreed. I believe that the form is determined by the poem. I've even tried modern-ish every now and then (see "Lunar Kisses").

But, for the most part, my Muse has little-to-no interest in 20th C. styles; so the chances of them manifesting in my work are relatively slim.

Richard Oakley

Nov 27, 2016, 12:46:38 AM11/27/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:50:37 PM UTC-5, Richard Oakley wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:07:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Some good information on what apparently began the Modern Age of poetry, correct Michael and George D?
>
> I'm of the persuasion of using as many outlets, voices, emotions, and tones as possible. I try to use the form that conveys my current view the best. This 'view' is ever changing and ebbs and flows, rises and falls with the current I'm bound to.

It's more fun and less frustrating for me as well, as going from one place to another helps inform my 'muse' about all directions we can go to.

George John III

Nov 27, 2016, 1:39:42 AM11/27/16
My way is wherever the aspirations taken me.

Will Dockery

Nov 27, 2016, 5:13:15 PM11/27/16
Each artist must follow his own Muse.

Will Dockery

Nov 29, 2016, 9:14:32 AM11/29/16
"Blackpooljimmy" wrote in message
Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

I did, and enjoyed, thanks again Jim.

Will Dockery

Mar 20, 2017, 7:44:47 PM3/20/17
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:55:42 PM UTC-4, drive-by wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>
> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

Okay, I thought I had read a bit of Frank Stanford's poetry.

Thanks again Jim, time for a revisit.

:)

Samsung Experience

Mar 21, 2017, 8:22:35 PM3/21/17
Thanks again for this.....

Will Dockery

Nov 18, 2017, 5:02:04 AM11/18/17
"Samsung Experience" wrote in message

> Thanks again for this.....

Indeed, and worth a bump...

Will Dockery

Dec 15, 2017, 3:00:30 AM12/15/17
"Samsung Experience" wrote in message

> Thanks again for this.....

Thanks for reminding me, what a cool group of poets these were.

:)

Will Dockery

Dec 30, 2017, 5:40:01 PM12/30/17
Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
> Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
> have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
> 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
> as far as Beowulf, the writer claims)

Okay, the start of the era of "modern poetry" is definitely pinpointed at 1910, making us about 107 years into it modern, tough hardly /new/ at this point.
I will return to this theme later tonight, carry on folks...

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2018, 6:07:30 PM2/24/18
"Samsung Experience" wrote in message

> Thanks again for this.....

So, Zod, how is Miami these days, drop us a line, eh?

:)

Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Feb 25, 2018, 5:27:08 PM2/25/18
"Samsung Experience" wrote in message

> Thanks again for this.....

Hey there, George Sulzbach, too bad you're not online today, the entire
poetry newsgroup is all about you today, I reckon that makes you "featured
artist" for Sampler Sunday.

And Jim Senetto said he was actually cool with the steak dinner, he wasn't
angry about it at all, he was just "pushing my buttons".

:)

Will Dockery

Feb 25, 2018, 8:41:56 PM2/25/18

Will Dockery

Mar 12, 2018, 4:56:01 AM3/12/18
Worth a read if some have not, this gives the story of the scene Mina Loy
helped create.

Fascinating...

Will Dockery

Jul 30, 2018, 12:33:05 PM7/30/18
All or most of these should also be in the timeline, George...

Will Dockery

Jul 30, 2018, 7:43:20 PM7/30/18
"Samsung Experience" wrote in message

> Thanks again for this.....

Glad to...

Bean Counter

Jul 31, 2018, 3:06:58 AM7/31/18
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
> Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
> have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
> 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
> as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free
> And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
>
> :D

Greatest of the old aschool not to be forgotten......

Will Dockery

Aug 1, 2018, 5:12:57 AM8/1/18
> > Mina Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> Greatest of the old school not to be forgotten......

Although most of it has been mostly forgotten, by the general public.

Will Dockery

Aug 1, 2018, 10:47:13 AM8/1/18
"Bean Counter" wrote in message
> Mina Loy

Mina not Mirna.

:)

mydemon...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2018, 11:00:56 AM8/1/18
Myrna, not Mirna, you dumbfuck.

Will Dockery

Aug 1, 2018, 11:04:13 AM8/1/18
Typo alert:

Myrna not Mirna.

:)

Will Dockery

Aug 6, 2018, 8:30:54 PM8/6/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 3:06:58 AM UTC-4, Bean Counter wrote:
> > Mina Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
> >
> > And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
> >
> > :D
>
> Greatest of the old school not to be forgotten......

I'm reading of another from that great generation of poets, Octavio Paz:

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1974/05/16/dazzling-and-dizzying/

"This is the mirror that devours mirrors..." -Octavio Paz, “Masks of Dawn”

"Playful and pompous by turns, cosmopolitan, provincial, lucid, hazy, brave, evasive, Octavio Paz is the Platonic idea of a Latin American intellectual; and not the least of his achievements is to fill with charm and distinction and irony that difficult and wearying role. For the intellectual in Latin America is critic, clown, priest, radical agitator, and Victorian school-master all at once—a man for far too many seasons. He must evaluate the past, scoff at the present, bless new movements in literature and art, discreetly encourage the right kind of revolution, and compose ritual letters of recommendation for his country and countrymen. Among other things..."

Will Dockery

Aug 7, 2018, 8:53:49 PM8/7/18
> H.D. aka Hilda Doolittle
> Mina Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

Original thread, if anyone wants to follow the rest of the story...

Bean Counter

Aug 8, 2018, 3:27:37 AM8/8/18
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:55:42 PM UTC-4, Thomas Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Mirna Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
> >
> > And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
> >
> > :D
>
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>

> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

Will check him out...…………...

Will Dockery

Aug 9, 2018, 1:02:20 PM8/9/18
"Bean Counter" wrote in message
Thanks for the bump up, Bean.

General Zod

Apr 9, 2019, 3:31:51 AM4/9/19
> Mirna Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
>
> :D

A good Primer on the Modern Age of yesteryear......

Victor Hugo III

Jun 16, 2019, 11:30:38 PM6/16/19
Outstanding history piece.......

NancyGene

Jun 17, 2019, 2:44:16 PM6/17/19
When did Jim say that? It seems evident that he is still livid about the three of you dining on the $50 that was supposed to help Zid pay the rent.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 17, 2019, 2:51:51 PM6/17/19
Who stays that mad for that long over fifty bucks? There has got to be more to it than that.

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:30:29 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 2:44:16 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> It seems evident that he is still livid about

<snip>

Which is pretty weird since I paid him his money back a year ago, with witnesses, as he requested.
Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:37:14 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:33:18 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:30:29 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Which is pretty weird since I paid him his money back a year ago, with witnesses, as he requested.
>
> No

Yes...

I paid your money back to the good cause you named, witnessed by the person of your choice, so my part is finished.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jun 17, 2019, 3:39:43 PM6/17/19
oh..at first it was the daughter....now I want drunk hobo to tell me the story, considering the money was for him.....or was it your con.

Now you go fuck yourself.

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:42:27 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 2:51:51 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Who stays that mad for that long over fifty bucks? There has got to be more to it than that.

True, nearly three years of this and still tey return to it. I paid the money back a year ago, to the charity of his choice, with the witness of his choice.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 17, 2019, 3:44:22 PM6/17/19
To say I don't give a fuck understates the amount of fuck I give.

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 3:45:55 PM6/17/19
Hey, this pissbum actually had to repay a debt.
Now that’s fucking outstanding!

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:46:19 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:39:43 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:
> [...]

<...>

> > I paid your money back to the good cause you named, witnessed by the person of your choice, so my part is finished.
>
> oh..at first it was the daughter....

True, I've actually paid back that fifty /twice/ already... I did my part, I'm done.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 17, 2019, 3:47:32 PM6/17/19
I believe Mr. Rochester would like to hear from the *other* drunk hobo, Whiny Will.

Michael Pendragon
INTERVIEWER: I suppose you don't just hold it?
WILL DOCKERY: No. I let it out just like everybody else does.
INTERVIEWER: How?
WILL DOCKERY: Well, to pee, you just go out back and pee.
INTERVIEWER: How about to poop?
WILL DOCKERY: For that, you dig a hole. Then you poop into the hole and cover it up.

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 3:48:46 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:46:19 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:39:43 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:
> > On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:37:14 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

I'm done.

Yes, pissbum, you are.

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:49:05 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:44:22 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> To say I don't give a fuck understates the amount of fuck I give.

I know what you mean, Pastor Corey.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 3:53:40 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:47:32 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > No
> >
> > Yes...
> >
> > I paid your money back to the good cause you named, witnessed by the person of your choice, so my part is finished.
>
> I believe Mr. Rochester would like

<snip>

The deal was I refund his money with a witness to the charity of his choice.

I did that, and so the matter is settled.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 17, 2019, 3:57:56 PM6/17/19
No, Will... the *OTHER* drunk hobo.

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 17, 2019, 4:04:42 PM6/17/19
Of course the matter of the money is settled,
so nobody is going to jail or get sued, but this
is a discussion group, and the topic is a matter
of concern to someone here. You do have the
right to remain silent, which isn't a bad idea.

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 4:08:22 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:57:56 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:53:40 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > I believe Mr. Rochester would like
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > The deal was I refund his money with a witness to the charity of his choice.
> >
> > I did that, and so the matter is settled.
>
> No, Will... the *OTHER* drunk hobo.

Where is zid when you need him?

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 4:15:12 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:57:56 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> No, Will... the *OTHER* drunk hobo

<snip>

Pendragon, you know by now that I stopped drinking an smoking over eleven years ago.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jun 17, 2019, 4:17:10 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:08:22 PM UTC-4, ME wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:57:56 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > The deal was I refund his money with a witness to the charity of his choice.
> > >
> > > I did that, and so the matter is settled.
> >
> > No, Will... the *OTHER* drunk hobo.
> >

> Where is zid when you need him?

He's waiting for Will to say "speak!"

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 4:23:11 PM6/17/19
Maybe Michael could have said “the dry-drunk hobo then.
Either way, you know he, and almost everyone else here, is referring to or thinking about zid, zod , victor, brainiac, etc , etc, .......
Where is bunny?

Michael Pendragon

Jun 17, 2019, 4:24:48 PM6/17/19
Really?

Then why respond to Mr. Rochester's question to "the drunk hobo"?

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 4:32:31 PM6/17/19

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 4:38:19 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:23:11 PM UTC-4, ME wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:15:12 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Pendragon, you know by now that I stopped drinking an smoking over eleven years ago.
>
> Maybe Michael could have said “the dry-drunk

I've seen that accusation before, also... and as usual, with no proof.

:)

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 4:48:43 PM6/17/19
Are you a practicing drunk, pissbum?

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 5:32:36 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:48:43 PM UTC-4, ME wrote:
> Are you a practicing drunk

I stopped drinking and smoking over eleven years ago, I know you already know that.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 6:45:38 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 4:04:42 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Of course the matter of the money is settled,
> so nobody is going to jail or get sued

Exactly, the matter is settled, I settled it, and a witness verfied that.

It is over, let's move on.

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 6:50:54 PM6/17/19
So, by your own admission, you are not a practicing drunk.
Glad we got that straight..

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 17, 2019, 6:56:08 PM6/17/19
Again, this is a discussion group.

ME

Jun 17, 2019, 7:06:14 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 6:56:08 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Again, this is a discussion group.

And, the dumb ass will never take the option of remaining silent.
That’s just the way he will tell his story.

Victor Hugo III

Jun 17, 2019, 7:26:57 PM6/17/19

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzRsWOtjsUxHIoUfJ1Zp3iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmrkO4DxJXU

> > Vacel Lindsay
> > Harry Kemp
> > Donald Evans
> > Allen Norton
> > Louise Norton
> > H.D.
> > Mirna Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."

Looking up these poets at library now......

George J. Dance

Jun 17, 2019, 7:38:36 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 2:51:51 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Who stays that mad for that long over fifty bucks?

Especially considering that he got to troll Will about it for months, and it ended up costing Will $100. You'd think J.O. would stop trying to milk it eventually.

There has got to be more to it than that.

Do you remember all the posts Pig Pen was making in 2018, repeating the story of how Jim was the rightful "star" of aapc, but Will was trying to sabotage him at every turn? Probably not, but I'm sure Jim does.

George J. Dance

Jun 17, 2019, 7:40:06 PM6/17/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:37:14 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:33:18 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:
> > On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 3:30:29 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> > > Which is pretty weird since I paid him his money back a year ago, with witnesses, as he requested.
> >
> > No
>
> Yes...
>
> I paid your money back to the good cause you named, witnessed by the person of your choice, so my part is finished.

Wasn't that the second $50 you paid out for Jim on his "Not a loan"?

Hieronymous Corey

Jun 17, 2019, 7:43:19 PM6/17/19
I certainly don't remember it the way you do,
which really sounds a bit twisted to my ear.
If you want to troll them, please do it directly.

Victor Hugo III

Jun 17, 2019, 7:55:40 PM6/17/19
This is a poetry group....

Post poems ....

Stop whining.......

Will Dockery

Jun 17, 2019, 8:50:08 PM6/17/19
It happened three years ago.

We settled it last year.

Time to move on.

Victor Hugo III

Jun 17, 2019, 11:35:46 PM6/17/19
Good evening Pastor Corey....

Rex Hunter Jr.

Aug 15, 2019, 12:02:49 AM8/15/19
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Nice section in the book Strange Bedfellows (And "The History of Modern
> Poetry", Page 311 by David Perkins, which is where Steven Watson seems to
> have gotten most of his information) about the movement that took off around
> 1910 (and not before in any major way, although the form can be traced back
> as far as Beowulf, the writer claims) the "Poets of Revolt" aka "Free
> Versers".
>
> Ezra Pound and Amy Lowell seem to me to be the most famous poets of this
> group. In 1912, Pound wrote "I believe in /Absolute Rhythm/, that is [...]
> poetry that corresponds exactly to the emotion being expressed..."
>
> The Poets of Revolt term was supposedly generic for the new poets, the
> writers of the 1910s also known as "free-versers" and vers librists, because
> they championed the rise of free verse, which replaced fixed stanzas, meter
> and rhyme with Absolute Rhythm, as Erza Pound called it.
>
> In addition, there were other distinctive factions during 1910-1917 and
> beyond...
>
> The Tramp Poets (!) aka Hobohemians, led by Vachel Lindsay, Harry Kemp and
> others, The Patagonians, Imagists and the Otherists all fit under the
> generic (and sometimes sneering) label of Poets of Revolt, the Free-Versers.
>
> Poets loosely associated with these groups included:
>
> Richard Aldington
> Amy Lowell
> Vacel Lindsay
> Harry Kemp
> Donald Evans
> Allen Norton
> Louise Norton
> H.D.
> Mirna Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
>
> :D

Good starting point on the origins of modern poetry as we know it....

Andre Hugo

Aug 17, 2019, 5:44:50 PM8/17/19
Good read...........

High Number

Aug 19, 2019, 7:24:32 PM8/19/19
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 6:56:08 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Again, this is a discussion group.

So... discus......

Hieronymous Corey

Aug 19, 2019, 7:26:02 PM8/19/19
LOL. Knock. Knock.

High Number

Aug 19, 2019, 7:27:59 PM8/19/19
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:50:37 PM UTC-5, Richard Oakley wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:07:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Some good information on what apparently began the Modern Age of poetry, correct Michael and George D?
>
> I'm of the persuasion of using as many outlets, voices, emotions, and tones as possible. I try to use the form that conveys my current view the best. This 'view' is ever change and ebbs and flows, rises and falls with the current I'm bound to.

You are a smart man......

Modern Jazz fan

Aug 20, 2019, 7:43:49 PM8/20/19
What the fuck...?

Victor H

Jan 3, 2020, 9:27:28 PM1/3/20
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>

> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

In looking for more material on Frank Stanford, I was led here....

George J. Dance

Jan 4, 2020, 8:11:06 AM1/4/20
Good site; the Poetry Foundation is a multi-million-dollar foundation that rose from Harriet Monroe's 100-year-old Poetry magazine. They've archived a lot of old poetry, and new as well (being filthy rich, they pay top dollar).

I'm a great believer in previews - a few lines from a poet's work can tell a reader more about his work than reading a 1,000-word essay. So here's a short bit from Stanford's magnum opus, "The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You":

I am afraid after reading all these so-called initiation books that some
cortege of boot lickers will enter my room while I am sleeping and suck
my eyes out with soda straws they will be older men and women much like
the amanuenses with bad breath in the principal’s office who call
up and tell on you the Unferths of the world better beware
I know Jesus would have kicked your teeth in you couldn’t pull that shit on him
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/50155/the-last-supper-from-the-battlefield-where-the-moon-says-i-love-you

Heath...@novabbs.i2p

Feb 3, 2020, 7:21:14 PM2/3/20
Good reading here....

Heath...@novabbs.i2p

Feb 3, 2020, 7:22:04 PM2/3/20
George J. Dance wrote on Sat, 04 January 2020 13:11

> >> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
> >>

> >> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford
> >
> > In looking for more material on Frank Stanford, I was led here....
>
> Good site; the Poetry Foundation is a multi-million-dollar foundation that rose from Harriet Monroe's 100-year-old Poetry magazine. They've archived a lot of old poetry, and new as well (being filthy rich, they pay top dollar).
>
> I'm a great believer in previews - a few lines from a poet's work can tell a reader more about his work than reading a 1,000-word essay. So here's a short bit from Stanford's magnum opus, "The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You":
>
> I am afraid after reading all these so-called initiation books that some
> cortege of boot lickers will enter my room while I am sleeping and suck
> my eyes out with soda straws they will be older men and women much like
> the amanuenses with bad breath in the principal's office who call
> up and tell on you the Unferths of the world better beware
> I know Jesus would have kicked your teeth in you couldn't pull that shit on him
> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/50155/the-last-supper-from-the-battlefield-where-the-moon-says-i-love-you

That is outstanding poetry....

Hector Heathcliff

Feb 10, 2020, 4:43:38 AM2/10/20
> :D

Great revisit read....

Zod-The...@none.i2p

Feb 26, 2020, 12:56:45 AM2/26/20
Hieronymous Corey wrote on Mon, 19 August 2019 23:26
> LOL. Knock. Knock.

Who's there.....?

Will Dockery

Jun 1, 2021, 11:49:41 PM6/1/21
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 4:19:57 PM UTC-4,

^^^^^^

Okay, I began studying Hilda Doolittle aka H.D. about six years ago, see below,the same time that I discovered Mina Loy.

> Mina Loy
^^^^^^^^^^

> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> And so it goes... so it shall ever be.

Indeed, even moreso, six years later.

:)

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 1:19:14 PM6/2/21
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:50:37 PM UTC-5, rao...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:07:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > Some good information on what apparently began the Modern Age of poetry, correct Michael and George D?
> I'm of the persuasion of using as many outlets, voices, emotions, and tones as possible. I try to use the form that conveys my current view the best. This 'view' is ever change and ebbs and flows, rises and falls with the current I'm bound to.

Great to see you back with us yesterday, Richard, I hope you'll stick around.

Zod

Jun 2, 2021, 3:00:09 PM6/2/21
> Mirna Loy
> William Carlos Williams
> Alfred Kreymborg
> Ezra Pound
>
> In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
>
> "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
>
> :D

Probably my favorite era of poetry...

Will Dockery

Jun 2, 2021, 10:01:55 PM6/2/21
^^^^

> > Mina Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
>
> Probably my favorite era of poetry...

The era saw the rise of such giants as Carl Sandburg and Robert Frost.

General-Zod

Jun 4, 2021, 12:31:21 PM6/4/21
AnfdHilda Doolittle, of course...

Zod

Jun 5, 2021, 7:04:07 PM6/5/21
> > Mirna Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
> >
> > And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
> >
> > :D
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>

> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

Excellent poet...

General-Zod

Jun 11, 2021, 7:04:23 PM6/11/21
Would like follow ups to this thread,...

W.Dockery

Jun 20, 2021, 10:13:16 PM6/20/21
I need to get back to that book, there were some interesting notes on Carl Sandburg's early days I want to recheck, for one thing, information that isn't available so easily in other places.

Zod

Jun 21, 2021, 7:55:50 PM6/21/21
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:55:42 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:
> > Mirna Loy
> > William Carlos Williams
> > Alfred Kreymborg
> > Ezra Pound
> >
> > In the Saturday Evening Post of April 7th 1917 Sinclair Lewis wrote:
> >
> > "It is called /free verse/ because it doesn't pay."
> >
> > And so it goes... so it shall ever be.
> >
> > :D
> Will...you just might like to check out Frank Stamford..died way too young.
>

> http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/frank-stanford

He is a good and unsung poet...
Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Jul 1, 2021, 7:08:47 PM7/1/21
At least we keep his poetry alive here, Zod.

W.Dockery

Jul 9, 2021, 11:14:21 PM7/9/21
He is definitely falling into obscurity, unfortunately,
It is loading more messages.