Comic-book characters that had their skin color changed in the movies

Kenneth M. Lin

Aug 12, 2011, 3:53:00 PM8/12/11
Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
Catwoman Halley Barry version
Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.

Anyone else?

I could see Amanda Waller played by Kathy Bates. I can't think of any large
African-American actress that could play her. I definitely hope that they
don't cast Mo'Nique to play her.

grinningdemon

Aug 12, 2011, 4:10:14 PM8/12/11
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
<kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>Catwoman Halley Barry version

Doesn't really count as the same character.

>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.

This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.

>Anyone else?

Sue Storm (kind of) Jessica Alba being hispanic and all.
Kingpin Daredevil movie (though I'd say that one was
actually a good choice)
Elektra Daredevil and Elektra movies (from
Mediterranean to white)

It's not skin color but I always found it funny that, in the Spiderman
movies, they hired a natural blonde to play redhead MJ and a natural
redhead to play blonde Gwen Stacy.

If you include TV:

Lana Lang and Pete Ross Smallville version
Superman himself Lois & Clark version

>I could see Amanda Waller played by Kathy Bates. I can't think of any large
>African-American actress that could play her. I definitely hope that they
>don't cast Mo'Nique to play her.

They already have an Amanda Waller in the Green Lantern movie...and
she's not that big...Smallville had Pam Grier play Waller.

William George Ferguson

Aug 12, 2011, 4:28:52 PM8/12/11
<kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>Catwoman Halley Barry version
>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.
>
>Anyone else?

If you're thinking of Nick Fury in relation to the Howling Commandos, he
wasn't in their Captain America version, those Howlers were led by Dum Dum
Dugan, and included Gabe Jones, James Falsworth (instead of Percy
Pinkerton) and an adult Bucky Barnes.

As for segregation, this was a bigger anachronism in the original book
(Gabe Jones) than in the movie. In the movie, Gabe waws a POW from a
'Colored' unit as Jim Morita was from a Nisei unit, and they volunteered to
serve in Cap's secret unit after he had rescued them from the Red Skull's
experimental labs.

The Samuel Jackson Nick Fury wasn't even born til after WW2, He's modeled
on the Ultimate universe Nick Fury, not the Earth 616 Nick Fury.

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

M.O.R

Aug 12, 2011, 4:28:39 PM8/12/11
On Aug 12, 8:53 pm, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Can we really include Ken Watanabe, since Ras Al Ghul's race has never
been a factor in the stories, plus it is ambiguous whether he is the
'real' Ras, since the big reveal implies the oppossite, that he is
just a figurehead, or that there are multiple Ras throughout the
decades, ala The Phantom. It appears that Marion Cotillard will play
Ras daughter Talia, based on the photos, so whose daughter she is is
also ambiguous.
Plus has it ever really been stated what race Ras is', or if it has,
it's never been important.

Kingpin-Daredevil and the Spider-man animated series for MTV- and
although he was white in the 90's show, he was voiced by a black
actor.

Duggy

Aug 12, 2011, 4:44:39 PM8/12/11
On Aug 13, 5:53 am, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> Catwoman        Halley Barry version

She's not Seline Kyle, it's not a race change.

> Perry White      Laurence Fishbourne

So they say.

> Ra's Al Ghul      Ken Watanabe

Liam Neeson. fool.

> Anyone else?

> I could see Amanda Waller played by Kathy Bates.  I can't think of any large
> African-American actress that could play her.  I definitely hope that they
> don't cast Mo'Nique to play her.

CCH Pounder.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 12, 2011, 4:50:23 PM8/12/11
On Aug 13, 6:28 am, "M.O.R" <sean.carmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Plus has it ever really been stated what race Ras is', or if it has,
> it's never been important.

Birth of the Demon says Arabia. It's important because his name is
Arabic.

===
= DUG.
===

Pat O'Neill

Aug 12, 2011, 5:05:33 PM8/12/11
On Aug 12, 3:53 pm, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Actually, don't we find out that Liam Neeson's character is the REAL
Ra's al Ghul?

Pat O'Neill

Aug 12, 2011, 5:06:23 PM8/12/11
On Aug 12, 4:10 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"

Mediterranean people are white...just darker in complexion

Duggy

Aug 12, 2011, 5:24:22 PM8/12/11
On Aug 13, 7:05 am, "Pat O'Neill" <patdone...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 3:53 pm, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > Ra's Al Ghul      Ken Watanabe
> Actually, don't we find out that Liam Neeson's character is the REAL
> Ra's al Ghul?

Exactly.

===
= DUG.
===

jdunlop

Aug 12, 2011, 7:15:37 PM8/12/11
On Aug 12, 3:53 pm, "Kenneth M. Lin" <kenneth_m_...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in the first Keaton Batman movie (or
was it the second?)

grinningdemon

Aug 12, 2011, 7:39:52 PM8/12/11

I thought that whole thing was left kind of ambiguous...was he Ra's
all along or did he take over after the previous Ra's died? I thought
they were kind of setting up their version of the immortality bit by
making it a legacy situation.

grinningdemon

Aug 12, 2011, 7:40:47 PM8/12/11

But Jennifer Garner is not...hence, change in skin color.

Duggy

Aug 12, 2011, 9:15:53 PM8/12/11
On Aug 13, 9:15 am, jdunlop <jdun...@aol.com> wrote:
> Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in the first Keaton Batman movie (or
> was it the second?)

First. There were 3 actors from the Star Wars Trilogy in the first 20
min of Batman.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 12, 2011, 9:39:42 PM8/12/11
On Aug 13, 9:39 am, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I thought that whole thing was left kind of ambiguous...was he Ra's
> all along or did he take over after the previous Ra's died?  I thought
> they were kind of setting up their version of the immortality bit by
> making it a legacy situation.

I guess Dark Knight Rises will make it clearer.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 13, 2011, 2:27:36 AM8/13/11
wrote:

> Alicia Master    Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
> Catwoman        Halley Barry version
> Perry White      Laurence Fishbourne
> Ra's Al Ghul      Ken Watanabe
> Galactus            Humanoid to giant cloud
> Nick Fury            I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.

Fox Wanted

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 13, 2011, 4:36:06 AM8/13/11
On Aug 13, 12:11 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> Depends on how you look at it...

If the colour of the character on screen is white, the colour of the
voice actor doesn't change that.

> if you include the casting as part of
> the character (as you certainly would in live action) then it's worth
> noting...and, in a discussion like this, there's no reason NOT to
> bring it up...

Read the question.

> whether or not it's relevant is the decision for the
> group...not just a certain Aussie who always thinks he knows
> everything.

I live in Australia. Why do you assume I'm an Aussie?

There you go again, thinking you know everything.

> But, by your definition, you could say Lex Luthor of Superman TAS had
> his skin color changed...he was voiced by a white actor but he was
> drawn with darker skin...often looking hispanic or even black.

If we're counting TV animation, yes, Lex in the S:TAS counts.

===
= DUG.
===

Ken from Chicago

Aug 13, 2011, 5:37:28 AM8/13/11
"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
> <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>>Catwoman Halley Barry version
>
> Doesn't really count as the same character.
>
>>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in
>>WWII.
>
> This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
> of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.

Jackson's not your idea of regular Marvel Universe, aka Earth-616's Nick
Fury, but he's a pretty good Ultimate Nick Fury.

>>Anyone else?
>
> Sue Storm (kind of) Jessica Alba being hispanic and all.
> Kingpin Daredevil movie (though I'd say that one was
> actually a good choice)
> Elektra Daredevil and Elektra movies (from
> Mediterranean to white)
>
> It's not skin color but I always found it funny that, in the Spiderman
> movies, they hired a natural blonde to play redhead MJ and a natural
> redhead to play blonde Gwen Stacy.

That's what I thought a year ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/msg/30ef948adddf214e?hl=en

Stone looks more like MJ, not just hair-color-wise, but she has the round
eyes that MJ is usually depicted having in comics:

http://worldsofimagination.com/Maryjaneross.png

http://www.allcelebrityphotos.tk/img/emma-stone-11.jpg

It's the problem I had with Dunst being cast in the role because she has
small almost beady eyes.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/msg/571c90554c1cee76?hl=en

> If you include TV:
>
> Lana Lang and Pete Ross Smallville version
> Superman himself Lois & Clark version
>

>>I could see Amanda Waller played by Kathy Bates. I can't think of any
>>large
>>African-American actress that could play her. I definitely hope that they
>>don't cast Mo'Nique to play her.
>
> They already have an Amanda Waller in the Green Lantern movie...and
> she's not that big...Smallville had Pam Grier play Waller.

But she wore a fat suit. Dana Owens would be good as the character.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. So no mention of the long history of characters of color being recast
with actors of paleness in the movies? (To say nothing of centuries of
female characters played by male actors.)

Ken from Chicago

Aug 13, 2011, 5:40:22 AM8/13/11

"William George Ferguson" <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Wait, so the bunnies are in charge of the movies?!

That would explain so much.

-- Ken from Chicago (who had wonder what's with all the carrots, until he
tasted them, mmm, yummy)

Ken from Chicago

Aug 13, 2011, 5:41:22 AM8/13/11

"Pat O'Neill" <patdo...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Oh great, Pat, now you've SPOILED the (ahem, decade old) movie!

>=^>

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Aug 13, 2011, 5:43:06 AM8/13/11

"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

No, no, Pat's right. It was a big misdirection. Neeson's character was the
real Ra's.

-- Ken from Chicago

Duggy

Aug 13, 2011, 7:04:51 AM8/13/11
On Aug 13, 7:43 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> No, no, Pat's right. It was a big misdirection. Neeson's character was the
> real Ra's.

I thought it was clear, but it's been a while and assumption can be
wrong. So I didn't contradict him because I didn't know.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 13, 2011, 7:03:35 AM8/13/11
On Aug 13, 7:41 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > Actually, don't we find out that Liam Neeson's character is the REAL
> > Ra's al Ghul?
> Oh great, Pat, now you've SPOILED the (ahem, decade old) movie!

A decade old... surely not.

===
= DUG.
===

iarwain

Aug 13, 2011, 9:49:47 AM8/13/11
>This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.

I'm a big fan of the Ultimates, so Samuel Jackson doesn't bother me at
all. Obviously, they drew Fury AS Jackson since day one.
I'd definitely prefer him to Hasselhoff.

I think it would be funny if they had a movie version of The Hate
Monger and changed his skin color.

Michael

Aug 13, 2011, 10:47:13 AM8/13/11
grinningdemon wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
> <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>>Catwoman Halley Barry version
>

> Doesn't really count as the same character.
>

>>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.
>

> This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
> of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.

Dunno who to get for 616 Fury. Tom Berenger might be a little old.
Personally, I think you want someone who can look physically in his 40s
who can be grizzled up a bit.

Ultimate Fury: Obviously Sam Jackson, but also Avery Brooks and Cave
Chappele (sp?) would apply physically. Maybe Wesley Snipes.

And there's some variations on that:

Wolverine & The X-Men had an African/American Fury with hair and goatee.

The Avenger cartoon Fury has hair but just a soul patch (that looks
silly IMHO).

Michael

Michael

Aug 13, 2011, 10:48:24 AM8/13/11
Ken from Chicago wrote:

> "grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
>> <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>>> Catwoman Halley Barry version
>>

>> Doesn't really count as the same character.
>>
>>> Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>>> Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>>> Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>>> Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back
>>> in WWII.
>>

>> This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
>> of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.
>

> Jackson's not your idea of regular Marvel Universe, aka Earth-616's Nick
> Fury, but he's a pretty good Ultimate Nick Fury.

Since that's who UNick Fury is based on, yeah.

Michael

grinningdemon

Aug 13, 2011, 2:34:34 PM8/13/11
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:36:06 -0700 (PDT), Duggy

>On Aug 13, 12:11 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com>
>wrote:
>> Depends on how you look at it...
>
>If the colour of the character on screen is white, the colour of the
>voice actor doesn't change that.

In a discussion on the subject, it is still relevant information.

>> if you include the casting as part of
>> the character (as you certainly would in live action) then it's worth
>> noting...and, in a discussion like this, there's no reason NOT to
>> bring it up...
>
>Read the question.

The question asks about the "character" and, when viewing a movie or
tv show, I think I think the actor giving the performance is relevant
whether or not you can actually see their face...apparently I'm not
alone in that since I'm not the one that brought this up.

>> whether or not it's relevant is the decision for the
>> group...not just a certain Aussie who always thinks he knows
>> everything.
>
>I live in Australia. Why do you assume I'm an Aussie?
>
>There you go again, thinking you know everything.

Well, OBVIOUSLY I know everything...and, as such, I know that YOU
don't.

grinningdemon

Aug 13, 2011, 2:42:12 PM8/13/11
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 04:37:28 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
>> <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>>>Catwoman Halley Barry version
>>
>> Doesn't really count as the same character.
>>
>>>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>>>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>>>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>>>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in
>>>WWII.
>>
>> This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
>> of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.
>
>Jackson's not your idea of regular Marvel Universe, aka Earth-616's Nick
>Fury, but he's a pretty good Ultimate Nick Fury.

Well, given that Ultimate Nick Fury was modeled after him, I would
think so...but I hate Ultimate Nick Fury...he's a doosh.

>>>Anyone else?
>>
>> Sue Storm (kind of) Jessica Alba being hispanic and all.
>> Kingpin Daredevil movie (though I'd say that one was
>> actually a good choice)
>> Elektra Daredevil and Elektra movies (from
>> Mediterranean to white)
>>
>> It's not skin color but I always found it funny that, in the Spiderman
>> movies, they hired a natural blonde to play redhead MJ and a natural
>> redhead to play blonde Gwen Stacy.
>
>That's what I thought a year ago.
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/msg/30ef948adddf214e?hl=en
>
>Stone looks more like MJ, not just hair-color-wise, but she has the round
>eyes that MJ is usually depicted having in comics:
>
>http://worldsofimagination.com/Maryjaneross.png
>
>http://www.allcelebrityphotos.tk/img/emma-stone-11.jpg

They did it twice then...I wasn't even talking about Emma Stone...I
was talking about Bryce Dallas Howard from the last movie.

>It's the problem I had with Dunst being cast in the role because she has
>small almost beady eyes.
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/msg/571c90554c1cee76?hl=en
>
>> If you include TV:
>>
>> Lana Lang and Pete Ross Smallville version
>> Superman himself Lois & Clark version
>>

>>>I could see Amanda Waller played by Kathy Bates. I can't think of any
>>>large
>>>African-American actress that could play her. I definitely hope that they
>>>don't cast Mo'Nique to play her.
>>
>> They already have an Amanda Waller in the Green Lantern movie...and
>> she's not that big...Smallville had Pam Grier play Waller.
>
>But she wore a fat suit. Dana Owens would be good as the character.
>
>-- Ken from Chicago
>
>P.S. So no mention of the long history of characters of color being recast
>with actors of paleness in the movies? (To say nothing of centuries of
>female characters played by male actors.)

Better watch out or Duggy will jump down your throat for mentioning
something that doesn't strictly fit the topic.

grinningdemon

Aug 13, 2011, 2:44:03 PM8/13/11

It's been a while since I watched it too but that was the impression I
took...if I'm wrong, oh well.

grinningdemon

Aug 13, 2011, 2:48:40 PM8/13/11
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:47:13 -0700, Michael <this...@for.rent>
wrote:

>grinningdemon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:53:00 -0700, "Kenneth M. Lin"
>> <kennet...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Alicia Master Fantastic Four, don't know the actress
>>>Catwoman Halley Barry version
>>

>> Doesn't really count as the same character.
>>

>>>Perry White Laurence Fishbourne
>>>Ra's Al Ghul Ken Watanabe
>>>Galactus Humanoid to giant cloud
>>>Nick Fury I am pretty sure we had segregated troops back in WWII.
>>

>> This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
>> of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.
>
>Dunno who to get for 616 Fury. Tom Berenger might be a little old.
>Personally, I think you want someone who can look physically in his 40s
>who can be grizzled up a bit.

I always picture Clint Eastwood from the 80s...give him an eyepatch in
Heartbreak Ridge and he's the perfect Nick Fury...but, as you say,
he's too old now.

>Ultimate Fury: Obviously Sam Jackson, but also Avery Brooks and Cave
>Chappele (sp?) would apply physically. Maybe Wesley Snipes.

I think I would have preferred Avery Brooks...he just seems to take to
roles where he's ordering everyone around.

Duggy

Aug 13, 2011, 5:43:25 PM8/13/11
On Aug 14, 4:44 am, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 04:04:51 -0700 (PDT), Duggy
>
> <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> >On Aug 13, 7:43 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
> >wrote:
> >> No, no, Pat's right. It was a big misdirection. Neeson's character was the
> >> real Ra's.
>
> >I thought it was clear, but it's been a while and assumption can be
> >wrong.  So I didn't contradict him because I didn't know.
>
> It's been a while since I watched it too but that was the impression I
> took...if I'm wrong, oh well.

I can't say for sure. My feeling is you are, but I don't knwo. Maybe
I just took it as him being Ra's (because I assumed he was when he
first appeared) so the when he claimed he was Ra's it made sense to me
that he was always Ra's. Others agree, but I'd have to look at it
with legacy title in mind to be sure... Or have someone point out
exact wording.

===
= DUG.
===

Pat O'Neill

Aug 13, 2011, 7:40:44 PM8/13/11

Back in the '60s, I saw Jack Lord as Fury, particularly Fury as drawn
by Jim Steranko

Michael

Aug 14, 2011, 10:04:28 AM8/14/11
grinningdemon wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:47:13 -0700, Michael <this...@for.rent>
> wrote:
>

>>grinningdemon wrote:

>>>Doesn't really count as the same character.

>>>This is the one that annoys me the most...Sam Jackson is not my idea
>>>of Nick Fury...then agan, neither is David Hasselhoff.
>>
>>Dunno who to get for 616 Fury. Tom Berenger might be a little old.
>>Personally, I think you want someone who can look physically in his 40s
>>who can be grizzled up a bit.
>

> I always picture Clint Eastwood from the 80s...give him an eyepatch in
> Heartbreak Ridge and he's the perfect Nick Fury...but, as you say,
> he's too old now.

That works. Or Heston in "True Lies" as an older version.

>>Ultimate Fury: Obviously Sam Jackson, but also Avery Brooks and Cave
>>Chappele (sp?) would apply physically. Maybe Wesley Snipes.
>

> I think I would have preferred Avery Brooks...he just seems to take to
> roles where he's ordering everyone around.

I think Brooks would've done well with it but I'm happy with Jackson.

>>And there's some variations on that:
>>
>>Wolverine & The X-Men had an African/American Fury with hair and goatee.
>>
>>The Avenger cartoon Fury has hair but just a soul patch (that looks
>>silly IMHO).
>>
>>Michael

Michael

Michael

Aug 14, 2011, 10:05:53 AM8/14/11
Pat O'Neill wrote:

That could've been nice.

Michael

M.O.R

Aug 14, 2011, 7:11:24 PM8/14/11
On Aug 13, 7:48 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 07:47:13 -0700, Michael <thissp...@for.rent>
> >Michael- Hide quoted text -

I agree with the Clint Eastwood as Fury. Fury is more agile than his
years, due to SHIELD's injections. He may look like Clint Eastwood,
but he fights like Russell Crowe on a bender.

M.O.R

Aug 14, 2011, 6:26:03 PM8/14/11
> Michael- Hide quoted text -

Terry Fitzgerald in Spawn. Goes from Black guy to pale red headed
guy. Or are we only counting those who went from white to black,
rather than black to white? Just asking, not starting something.
I see why they made the change, mainly because there are very few good
white people in the movie, bar Cogliostro. Without the change, it
would seem too much like a white guys versus black guys film.

The Ra's Al Ghul thing could be one of those misdirections by Nolan,
as to whether the character is the original dude, or if he is second
in command and assumes the role when the former is killed. Again, it
could be a misdirection,or it could be a case of him being a phony
distraction to hide the real Al Ghul hiding in plain sight.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 14, 2011, 9:56:10 PM8/14/11
In article <HBQ1q.36656$g12....@newsfe20.iad>,
Michael <this...@for.rent> wrote:

I love Avery Brooks but ... he seems to do better standing there
intimidating you than actually punching you out. Now, if he'd killed
Picard in "Emissary" like he should have, I might feel differently. Or
at least given Jon-Luc that well deserved punch in the mouth he finally
gave Q ...

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

grinningdemon

Aug 14, 2011, 10:38:42 PM8/14/11
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:56:10 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

This may be true...but movie Fury hasn't exactly done a lot of
punching out so it probably wouldn't matter.

Duggy

Aug 14, 2011, 11:43:25 PM8/14/11
On Aug 15, 12:38 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:56:10 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

> >In article <HBQ1q.36656$g12.10...@newsfe20.iad>,

> > Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:

I think he probably means that he has to seem like he can back up
authority with punching. Then again as he said he punched Q.

I don't know.

===
= DUG.
===

grinningdemon

Aug 15, 2011, 1:10:22 AM8/15/11

Me neither...I haven't even seen Avery Brooks in anything in years so
I don't know how he's holding up these days.

Daibhid Ceanaideach

Aug 15, 2011, 8:39:17 AM8/15/11

That's how I saw it. There's another Asian man who gets introduced as
"Ra's Al Ghul" later on, after Watanabe's death, and Bruce looks at him
and realises Ducard is the *real* Ra's. Which suggests to me that Ducard
was *always* the real Ra's.

But if it comes to that, what race *should* Ra's be cast as? He's got an
Arabic name, and is often associated with the Middle East, but in Neal
Adams' words: "I created a face not tied to any race at all".

--
Dave
Demons run, when a good man goes to war...

Duggy

Aug 15, 2011, 6:00:42 PM8/15/11
On Aug 15, 10:39 pm, Daibhid Ceanaideach <daibhidchened...@aol.com>
wrote:

> But if it comes to that, what race *should* Ra's be cast as? He's got an
> Arabic name, and is often associated with the Middle East, but in Neal
> Adams' words: "I created a face not tied to any race at all".

Birth of the Demon has him born in Arabia 6,000 years but I don't know
that makes him Arabic.

===
= DUG.
===

M.O.R

Aug 15, 2011, 6:50:53 PM8/15/11

Let's not forget that Ra's has forgotten his own name, over time, so
any race could be cast as Ra's (ooh, accidental pun). His origins are
indeterminate.

Duggy

Aug 15, 2011, 11:15:46 PM8/15/11
On Aug 16, 8:50 am, "M.O.R" <sean.carmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's not forget that Ra's has forgotten his own name, over time, so
> any race could be cast as Ra's (ooh, accidental pun).  His origins are
> indeterminate.

Has he forgotten it or has he just said he's forgotten it?

===
= DUG.
===

Anim8rFSK

Aug 16, 2011, 5:05:07 PM8/16/11
In article <qgah475gjt19jsfv9...@4ax.com>,
grinningdemon <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

I just saw him on Shatner's THE CAPTAINS documentary. He looked like
The Shat could hold his own with him.

Anim8rFSK

Aug 16, 2011, 5:14:39 PM8/16/11
In article
<fdcabb2b-cae6-44a0...@t30g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Duggy <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

Damn, what was that ... was it an early Happy Days, where Fonzie was
teaching Opie to be tough, and it all fell apart, with Fonzie saying he
forgot the part where you had to have actually hit somebody, at least
one time ...

M.O.R

Aug 16, 2011, 6:36:48 PM8/16/11

Well, considering how long he has lived, I would take his word he has
forgotten it. But yes, I could imagine why he would not want people
to know who he is.

According to the book Excess, the art of Michael Golden, Rogue was
originally meant to be based on the actress and model Grace Jones.
These were the instructions to Golden from Claremont. The only thing
is, Golden had no idea who Grace Jones was, so he drew her at the
default setting for a caucasian artist, which is white, rather than
like Grace Jones, who is black. So if the movie had cast a black
Rogue, that would probably be going for Claremont's original wishes.
Dazzler was also originally black, as drawn by John Byrne. Yet the
pages were sent back to him, with the instructions to make her white.
Possibly because the singer they wanted to be Dazzler, in a plan
similar to the later NightCat project, was of the same race.

Lilith

Aug 16, 2011, 10:06:19 PM8/16/11
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:05:07 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

That bad, eh?

--
Lilith

Lilith

Aug 16, 2011, 10:17:23 PM8/16/11

But it would be pointless unless there was a reveal. With a three
movie life-span that's not likely unless Ra's is worked into the plot
of #3 and it isn't Liam Neeson. And it shouldn't be a one-shot
mention just to get the issue out of the way.

--
Lilith

Duggy

Aug 16, 2011, 10:44:39 PM8/16/11

Ra's has been worked into the plot of #3 and there is a young actor
playing young Ra's and suggestion of flashback footage of Liam. And,
of course, Talia.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Aug 16, 2011, 10:43:10 PM8/16/11
On Aug 17, 8:36 am, "M.O.R" <sean.carmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 4:15 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Has he forgotten it or has he just said he's forgotten it?
> Well, considering how long he has lived, I would take his word he has
> forgotten it.

I wouldn't take his word on anything. [I do accept that he could have
really forgotten].

> But yes, I could imagine why he would not want people
> to know who he is.

I figure even if he remembered and told people it'd be "Who?" it's not
like he'll Ra's Wayne or something.

Although, names are powerful things in some magic so I might say I
don't know it, too.

===
= DUG.
===

M.O.R

Aug 17, 2011, 12:13:15 AM8/17/11

According to the Animated series, he used to emerge from the Lazarus
Pits without any knowledge of who or what he is, until Talia would
slap his face, knocking him into the real world. If the Lazarus Pits
in the comic books work the same way, and we can assume that Talia was
not born until recently, talking mid 20's to early 30's, then that
would make 5970 years of Ra's having to bring himself out of the
haziness induced by the pits. And if such a thing is true, I would
imagine that repeated use of the pits would wipe certain elements of
his memory, outside of the things he greatly desired remembering
(strategy, combat skills, leadership, science, etc, etc) stuff that
would matter to an egomaniac. His name, not being one of them.

And if someone repeatedly uses the moniker he has been given, in this
case Ra's Al Ghul, versus his original birth name, it is not all too
unlikely he would forget his name.
Imagine if a similar thing happened to Sting, Bono or the Pope.

Again, that only works if one believes he has forgotten his real name,
rather than chooses not to mention it.

Duggy

Aug 17, 2011, 3:19:10 AM8/17/11
On Aug 17, 2:13 pm, "M.O.R" <sean.carmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the Animated series, he used to emerge from the Lazarus
> Pits without any knowledge of who or what he is, until Talia would
> slap his face, knocking him into the real world.

I think the comics sometimes suggest brief amnesia, madness or
agressiveness.

 If the Lazarus Pits
> in the comic books work the same way, and we can assume that Talia was
> not born until recently, talking mid 20's to early 30's, then that
> would make 5970 years of Ra's having to bring himself out of the
> haziness induced by the pits.  And if such a thing is true, I would
> imagine that repeated use of the pits would wipe certain elements of
> his memory, outside of the things he greatly desired remembering
> (strategy, combat skills, leadership, science, etc, etc) stuff that
> would matter to an egomaniac.  His name, not being one of them.

Certain. And even though your original name is important, 600 years
is a long time and if he has used a lot of different names since then
he may have naturally forgot.

I certainly may have forgotten. I'm just saying if he's the one
telling the story I'm taking nothing on face value.

> Imagine if a similar thing happened to Sting, Bono or the Pope.

I've heard Bono's family call him Bono.

Friends and family call me "Duggy" and I have to think for a brief
second before I answer to "Paul".

> Again, that only works if one believes he has forgotten his real name,
> rather than chooses not to mention it.

Agreed.

===
= DUG.
===

Anim8rFSK

Aug 18, 2011, 10:28:47 AM8/18/11
In article <fg8m47ts2vppb94a0...@4ax.com>,
Lilith <lili...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah. He's Avery Brooks, which is impressive by itself, but he's not
Hawk or Sisko any more.

M.O.R

Aug 18, 2011, 5:09:17 PM8/18/11
On Aug 18, 3:28 pm, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article <fg8m47ts2vppb94a04d8pdc4ipnd8ro...@4ax.com>,
>

>  Lilith <lilith...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:05:07 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > >In article <qgah475gjt19jsfv9rgvp5a93p2nglb...@4ax.com>,
> Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"- Hide quoted text -

Still, if tomorrow morning, he was to utter the classic Alec Baldwin
phrase "Put the Coffee Down!!!!"

Thousands of Star Trek geeks would listen.

Sean Walsh

Sep 17, 2011, 3:24:53 PM9/17/11
On Aug 12, 9:15 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:15 am, jdunlop <jdun...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in the first Keaton Batman movie (or
> > was it the second?)
>
> First.  There were 3 actors from the Star Wars Trilogy in the first 20
> min of Batman.

I keep forgetting about Biggs. That's what he gets for losing the
'stache....

--
Sean,
HEY PORKINS! THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE!

Duggy

Sep 17, 2011, 10:09:58 PM9/17/11
On Sep 18, 5:24 am, Sean Walsh <seanoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 9:15 pm, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 9:15 am, jdunlop <jdun...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in the first Keaton Batman movie (or
> > > was it the second?)
> > First.  There were 3 actors from the Star Wars Trilogy in the first 20
> > min of Batman.
> I keep forgetting about Biggs. That's what he gets for losing the
> 'stache....

We have a winner.

===
= DUG.