Salinger the Whore

Catawumpus

May 28, 2010, 8:16:29 AM5/28/10
"... In February of 1952, when it seemed that the
novel's run on the best-seller lists was petering
out, Salinger wrote that he was 'tremendously
relieved that the season for success of The
Catcher in the Rye is over.' In January of 1953,
already much taken with the Eastern philosophy
that variously buoys and burdens his later work,
he moved into his cottage at Cornish. In February
of 1958, his British editor, Roger Machell, is in
New York City on business and unable to get
Salinger to come see him in town: 'He realizes
books must be published but wishes they didn't,'
Hamilton quotes him. 'I would say he has a
profound hatred of all publishers.' There follows
a scene from a dinner that Salinger does attend
with his publishers. Playing a bizarre joke on his
publishers, his wife and her friend sit down at
their dinner table at the Stork Club pretending to
be call girls, 'talking tough and casting sly
glances.' We're meant to understand this as a
hostile comment on the exploitation of artists.
It's a pity Jerry thought himself a whore."

Troy Patterson, "The Two Salingers: How Jerome killed J.D."
http://www.slate.com/id/2242991/

If Salinger believed he was a whore he wasn't wrong, since
signing with Little, Brown made him a pro, i.e., someone who
does it for money. Doesn't set him apart: just makes him more
honest than average.

-- Catawumpus

Michael Zeleny

Jun 1, 2010, 5:46:37 PM6/1/10
to Catawumpus, Michael Zeleny

Sorry to hear that jerking off on Jacques Derrida hasn't made you a
fortune.

Time to assay another Ponzi scheme.

--
Michael Zel...@post.harvard.edu
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/

Catawumpus

Jun 1, 2010, 9:32:41 PM6/1/10
Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> Sorry to hear that jerking off on Jacques Derrida hasn't made you a
> fortune.

"I ain't no fortunate son." Giving hand-jobs to academics
seems your sort of thing (didn't you tie your reputation to
the tip of Alonzo Church's dick? it's possible I'm
misremembering), but anyone aside from Lucille Bogan would have
trouble making a dead man come. Oh, jerking off on him is
what you said. My mistake then. Always nice to know what's on
your mind.

> Time to assay another Ponzi scheme.

Lemme know how it goes.

-- Catawumpus

Frank Lavarre

Jun 2, 2010, 4:29:17 PM6/2/10
On Jun 1, 5:46 pm, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

What the fuck is your rich successful ass doing here? Get back over
to Harvard where you belong and leave this place for miserable
bastards like me.

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 3, 2010, 3:06:09 AM6/3/10

Is Zeleny rich?

Michael Zeleny

Jun 6, 2010, 11:58:05 PM6/6/10
On Jun 1, 6:32 pm, Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> > Sorry to hear that jerking off on Jacques Derrida hasn't made you a
> > fortune.

> "I ain't no fortunate son." Giving hand-jobs to academics
> seems your sort of thing (didn't you tie your reputation to
> the tip of Alonzo Church's dick? it's possible I'm
> misremembering), but anyone aside from Lucille Bogan would have
> trouble making a dead man come. Oh, jerking off on him is
> what you said. My mistake then. Always nice to know what's on
> your mind.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money." Yours is a
special case of that. A man of your distemper should find a way to
monetize it.

> > Time to assay another Ponzi scheme.

> Lemme know how it goes.

Your mistake again. I deliver value for my fees.

Michael Zeleny

Jun 7, 2010, 12:06:47 AM6/7/10
to Frank Lavarre
On Jun 2, 1:29 pm, Frank Lavarre <frank....@gmail.com> wrote:
> What the fuck is your rich successful ass doing here? Get back  over
> to Harvard where you belong and leave this place for miserable
> bastards like me.

Are you the Frank LaVarre who got suspended from the University of
Virginia because of bad grades, then got sentenced to 20 years for
carrying 61 pounds of marijuana to friends in Atlanta?

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,844942,00.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=DFAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=false

Michael Zeleny

Jun 7, 2010, 12:07:54 AM6/7/10
to Arindam Banerjee, Michael Zeleny
On Jun 3, 12:06 am, Arindam Banerjee <adda...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Is Zeleny rich?

Zeleny is comfortable.

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 7, 2010, 4:08:20 AM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 2:07 pm, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 12:06 am, Arindam Banerjee <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > Is Zeleny rich?
>
> Zeleny is comfortable.
>
> --
> Michael Zel...@post.harvard.eduhttp://larvatus.livejournal.com/

Upon spikes?

Michael Zeleny

Jun 7, 2010, 1:06:50 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 1:08 am, Arindam Banerjee <adda...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2:07 pm, Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 3, 12:06 am, Arindam Banerjee <adda...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > > Is Zeleny rich?

> > Zeleny is comfortable.

> Upon spikes?

Shpilkes. It's Jewish yoga.

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 7, 2010, 9:33:21 PM6/7/10
On Jun 8, 3:06 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 1:08 am, Arindam Banerjee <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > > Zeleny is comfortable.
> > Upon spikes?
>
> Shpilkes.

Made of diamonds?

Frank Lavarre

Jun 7, 2010, 11:43:08 PM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 12:06 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 1:29 pm, Frank Lavarre <frank.lava...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What the fuck is your rich successful ass doing here? Get back  over
> > to Harvard where you belong and leave this place for miserable
> > bastards like me.
>
> Are you the Frank LaVarre who got suspended from the University of
> Virginia because of bad grades, then got sentenced to 20 years for
> carrying 61 pounds of marijuana to friends in Atlanta?
>
> http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,844942,00.htmlhttp://books.google.com/books?id=DFAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30#v=onep...
>
> --
> Michael Zel...@post.harvard.eduhttp://larvatus.livejournal.com/

No, that would be Frank Provost Lavarre of 3909 Whitland Ave.,
Nashville, Tenn. 37232-0028 tel number (615) 322-2880

No relation. I'm Frank H. Lavarre of 515 South Figueroa Street 11
Los Angeles, CA 90071-3301 tel number (323) 669-3966

Nice try, however.

Michael Zeleny

Jun 8, 2010, 3:01:34 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 6:33 pm, Arindam Banerjee <adda...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 3:06 am, Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Upon spikes?
> > Shpilkes.
> Made of diamonds?

Upon your arrival in a Russian jail, righteous thieves will urge you
to choose between two notional seats: one stuck with a hundred knives,
the other jutting with a hundred pricks. As you contemplate this
dilemma, you will see one of your cellmates cupping his crotch, while
another fingers his shiv. Choose carefully. Your arse hangs in the
balance.

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 8, 2010, 3:21:54 AM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 5:01 pm, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 6:33 pm, Arindam Banerjee <adda1...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > > Shpilkes.
> > Made of diamonds?
>
> Upon your arrival in a Russian jail, righteous thieves will urge you
> to choose between two notional seats: one stuck with a hundred knives,
> the other jutting with a hundred pricks. As you contemplate this
> dilemma, you will see one of your cellmates cupping his crotch, while
> another fingers his shiv. Choose carefully. Your arse hangs in the
> balance.
>
> --
> Michael Zel...@post.harvard.eduhttp://larvatus.livejournal.com/

You seem to speak from experience, Zeleny. No doubt all is
comfortable to you, now. Good.

drschreber

Jun 8, 2010, 7:54:42 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 12:06 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 1:29 pm, Frank Lavarre <frank.lava...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What the fuck is your rich successful ass doing here? Get back  over
> > to Harvard where you belong and leave this place for miserable
> > bastards like me.
>
> Are you the Frank LaVarre who got suspended from the University of
> Virginia because of bad grades, then got sentenced to 20 years for
> carrying 61 pounds of marijuana to friends in Atlanta?

Wow, this Frank Lavarre sounds like a really bad character. To think
that forty-one years ago he not only received bad grades, but was
actually caught transporting 61 pounds of marijuana!!

Thank god the judge gave him a 20 year sentence, although it should
have been life, and thanks for helping the community by smoking out
this criminal.

Catawumpus

Jun 12, 2010, 1:30:13 AM6/12/10
Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

>>> Sorry to hear that jerking off on Jacques Derrida hasn't made you a
>>> fortune.

Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>> "I ain't no fortunate son." Giving hand-jobs to academics
>> seems your sort of thing (didn't you tie your reputation to
>> the tip of Alonzo Church's dick? it's possible I'm
>> misremembering), but anyone aside from Lucille Bogan would have
>> trouble making a dead man come. Oh, jerking off on him is
>> what you said. My mistake then. Always nice to know what's on
>> your mind.

My memory wasn't too bad. You awarded yourself a place in
history as a footnote to Church and Quine. So you could
answer that instead of jerking off on them, you want to gratify
yourself with their dead hands.

> "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."

G.B.S. "We have already established what you are. Now we
are merely haggling over the price."

> Yours is a
> special case of that. A man of your distemper should find a way to
> monetize it.

Or eminatize it per Aristotle in your former .sig. ObBook:
_ Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men_.

>>> Time to assay another Ponzi scheme.

>> Lemme know how it goes.

> Your mistake again. I deliver value for my fees.

Congratulations on your career as a delivery boy. Someone
must be extra proud.

-- Catawumpus

Just Me

Jun 12, 2010, 7:10:09 PM6/12/10
On Jun 12, 12:30 am, Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm>:

It is always so entertaining to see what mush Zeleny makes of this
endlessly envious poseur. ;-)
--
JM

Catawumpus

Jun 13, 2010, 3:21:10 AM6/13/10
Just Me <jpd...@gmail.com>:

> It is always so entertaining to see what mush Zeleny makes of this

Then we have Mikhail the mush-maker spoonfeeding pablum to
eager but toothless Jervis.

-- Catawumpus

=z=

Jun 13, 2010, 11:10:36 AM6/13/10

you forgot to tell us that
you have a 'jew' heritage;
you and you must love natzi reitoric
you and your natzi bitch...

tomorrow morning
i believe i shall
or maybe i shan't
but if i shall i will share me
with my friend zoë
if i still am able to share
tomorrow morning
i would wish
to write a poem to zoë
if my chary digits oblige
broken and torn
how awkward they present
they laugh at my challenge
they cry so when put to
"good use"
tomorrow morning
i should
tend zoë's hair
if zoë's hair still lives
(on top of her head silly)
or perhaps
tomorrow morning
i shall rise
with the smoke of souls
i would take zoë
if zoë is able
if I can find zoë
she may have already
melted
tomorrow morning

=z=

Catawumpus

Jun 14, 2010, 12:17:24 AM6/14/10

z <shul...@gmail.com>:

> you forgot to tell us that you have a 'jew' heritage

Obviously you already knew. If you can't remember, you're
the forgetful one.

-- Catawumpus

Michael Zeleny

Jun 17, 2010, 1:31:16 PM6/17/10
On Jun 11, 10:30 pm, Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>>> "I ain't no fortunate son." Giving hand-jobs to academics
>>> seems your sort of thing (didn't you tie your reputation to
>>> the tip of Alonzo Church's dick? it's possible I'm
>>> misremembering), but anyone aside from Lucille Bogan would have
>>> trouble making a dead man come. Oh, jerking off on him is
>>> what you said. My mistake then. Always nice to know what's on
>>> your mind.

> My memory wasn't too bad. You awarded yourself a place in
> history as a footnote to Church and Quine. So you could
> answer that instead of jerking off on them, you want to gratify
> yourself with their dead hands.

There is no need for you to ventriloquize on my behalf. A more fitting
analogy for the instant means of my gratification is sticking my boot
up your arse. All for your own good, to be sure.

>> "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."

> G.B.S. "We have already established what you are. Now we
> are merely haggling over the price."

You have no idea, Weinles. All my credentials are in the public
domain.

>> Yours is a
>> special case of that. A man of your distemper should find a way to
>> monetize it.

> Or eminatize it per Aristotle in your former .sig. ObBook:
> _ Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men_.

Eminence is not in the cards for production that conforms to Three
Myths of Bagpipes Dispelled:

Myth 1: It takes hard work and talent to play the bagpipes.
Fact 1: The only talent most pipers have is for avoiding work.

Myth 2: You can make fairly decent money playing the bagpipes.
Fact 2: People will pay you much better money to stop.

Myth 3: Your bagpipes will make you friends wherever you go.
Fact 3: This is true if you never go anywhere.

Nonetheless, while your ongoing dirge merits no more than a two bit
termination fee, the prospects of whining in the right venue are far
more favorable.

>>> Lemme know how it goes.
>> Your mistake again. I deliver value for my fees.

> Congratulations on your career as a delivery boy. Someone
> must be extra proud.

Imagination is failing you. Take-off delivers value, too.

Julian F Waldby

Jun 17, 2010, 5:39:16 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 10:31 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 10:30 pm, Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Eminence is not in the cards for production that conforms to Three
> Myths of Bagpipes Dispelled:
>
> Myth 1: It takes hard work and talent to play the bagpipes.
> Fact 1: The only talent most pipers have is for avoiding work.
>
> Myth 2: You can make fairly decent money playing the bagpipes.
> Fact 2: People will pay you much better money to stop.
>
> Myth 3: Your bagpipes will make you friends wherever you go.
> Fact 3: This is true if you never go anywhere.

It is a matter of personal preference. You may have noticed that there
are more than just one flavor at the ice cream shop. This is because
different people have different preferences.

You are just a French Horn kind of person, that's all.

Julian

Catawumpus

Jun 17, 2010, 6:10:14 PM6/17/10
Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>> My memory wasn't too bad. You awarded yourself a place in
>> history as a footnote to Church and Quine. So you could
>> answer that instead of jerking off on them, you want to gratify
>> yourself with their dead hands.

Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> There is no need for you to ventriloquize on my behalf.

Agreed. Your attempt to memorialize yourself by reference
to your masters already said plenty. But it didn't hurt to
spell out the relation between your interest in self-pleasuring
and the claim you made on history.

> A more fitting
> analogy for the instant means of my gratification is sticking my boot
> up your arse.

Then you must be constantly dissatisfied. Best of luck in
locating that foot of yours. The idea you stuck it in
_something_ is believable, especially if you've been hopping on
one leg. Try looking in your mouth.

-- Catawumpus

Julian F Waldby

Jun 17, 2010, 8:31:25 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 4:10 pm, Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm>:

>      Agreed.  Your attempt to memorialize yourself by reference
> to your masters already said plenty.  But it didn't hurt to
> spell out the relation between your interest in self-pleasuring

You've got it all wrong. I have a self-interest in pleasuring.

Julian

Catawumpus

Jun 19, 2010, 6:10:29 AM6/19/10

Julian F Waldby <ich_bi...@yahoo.com>:

> It is a matter of personal preference. You may have noticed that there
> are more than just one flavor at the ice cream shop. This is because
> different people have different preferences. You are just a French Horn
> kind of person, that's all.

"Why is it that all those who have become eminent in
philosophy or politics or poetry or the arts are clearly
bagpipers, and some of them to such an extent as to be affected
by diseases caused by black bile, as is said to have
happened to Heracles among the heroes?"

-- Catawumpus

Michael Zeleny

Jun 21, 2010, 4:40:42 PM6/21/10
On Jun 17, 3:10 pm, Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:
> Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>>> My memory wasn't too bad. You awarded yourself a place in
>>> history as a footnote to Church and Quine. So you could
>>> answer that instead of jerking off on them, you want to gratify
>>> yourself with their dead hands.

>> There is no need for you to ventriloquize on my behalf.

> Agreed. Your attempt to memorialize yourself by reference
> to your masters already said plenty. But it didn't hurt to
> spell out the relation between your interest in self-pleasuring
> and the claim you made on history.

Not unlike Clem the Gem, I am a modest man, who has a little something
to be modest about. "Biggest fucking sex symbol this country ever
fucking produced." Or nurtured, anyway.

>> A more fitting
>> analogy for the instant means of my gratification is sticking my boot
>> up your arse.

> Then you must be constantly dissatisfied. Best of luck in
> locating that foot of yours. The idea you stuck it in
> _something_ is believable, especially if you've been hopping on
> one leg. Try looking in your mouth.

Your flaccid tu quoque might be more credibly deployed by someone who
hadn't passed the last fifteen years carping about his piteous lot...
er, Job. Get laid, Weinles. Or get fucked. Anything to muffle your
whine.

Catawumpus

Jun 22, 2010, 3:26:54 AM6/22/10
Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>> Best of luck in
>> locating that foot of yours. The idea you stuck it in
>> _something_ is believable, especially if you've been hopping on
>> one leg. Try looking in your mouth.

Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> Your flaccid tu quoque might be more credibly deployed by someone who

Already wrong. I simply noted that your boasted
ass-kicking remained a bootless fantasy. It isn't all bad news
for you, though: since the foot that you lost is still
missing in action, you have an extra shoe to pound on the table.

> hadn't passed the last fifteen years carping about his piteous lot...
> er, Job.

Your bait of falsehood, my carp of truth, as shown frex in
those discussions on _Job_. Your defense of Yahweh was
self-humiliating by your own definition, since it forced you to
persistently misread the Biblical story, and in the end you
went slinking off, denying that there was cause for controversy.

http://tinyurl.com/232xsop
http://tinyurl.com/23nfej8
http://tinyurl.com/29sytd2

-- Catawumpus

Michael Zeleny

Jun 22, 2010, 2:19:00 PM6/22/10
On Jun 22, 12:26 am, Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:
>> Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

>>> Best of luck in
>>> locating that foot of yours. The idea you stuck it in
>>> _something_ is believable, especially if you've been hopping on
>>> one leg. Try looking in your mouth.

>> Your flaccid tu quoque might be more credibly deployed by someone who

> Already wrong. I simply noted that your boasted
> ass-kicking remained a bootless fantasy. It isn't all bad news
> for you, though: since the foot that you lost is still
> missing in action, you have an extra shoe to pound on the table.

"Nicht einmal falsch." No need for me to raise a limb in view of this
spastic seisure. Humiliating a creature bereft of self-respect is
quite a feat. From carping about our fallen world to seething about
your want of money, you pull no punches in demeaning yourself.

>> hadn't passed the last fifteen years carping about his piteous lot...
>> er, Job.

> Your bait of falsehood, my carp of truth, as shown frex in
> those discussions on _Job_. Your defense of Yahweh was
> self-humiliating by your own definition, since it forced you to
> persistently misread the Biblical story, and in the end you
> went slinking off, denying that there was cause for controversy.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/232xsop
> http://tinyurl.com/23nfej8
> http://tinyurl.com/29sytd2

Whatever you say, Weinles. You cannot exist outside of this pit of
misery. In your case, perception is reality. Enjoy your sufferance.

Catawumpus

Jun 23, 2010, 3:42:37 AM6/23/10
Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>> Your boasted

>> ass-kicking remained a bootless fantasy. It isn't all bad news
>> for you, though: since the foot that you lost is still
>> missing in action, you have an extra shoe to pound on the table.

Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> "Nicht einmal falsch." No need for me to raise a limb in view of this

Too late! You not merely raised a limb but lost one. The
boot you claimed to land on my rear never arrived -- which
raises some doubts about your asserted success as a
delivery-boy -- leaving you hopping around w/out any idea where
your leg is.

> spastic seisure. Humiliating a creature bereft of self-respect is
> quite a feat. From carping about our fallen world to seething

You already tried that one. Again, your bait of falsehood
vs. my carp of truth, not to mention your self-humiliation
according to your own definition in persistent misreadings frex
of Plato and Job: desperate, dishonest attempts to defend
Creator or Creation that nicely illustrate life's dependence on
the lie.

-- Catawumpus

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 23, 2010, 4:38:41 AM6/23/10
> Whatever you say, Weinles. You cannot exist outside of this pit of
> misery. In your case, perception is reality.

As is for all einsteinians.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Jonah Thomas

Jun 23, 2010, 12:16:29 PM6/23/10

I was trying to remember what this extended conversation reminded me of,
and then it came to me.

Back before the internet was available to civilians, various people ran
BBSes locally. I used to look at a collection of local bulletin board
systems and exchange messages etc. And there were these people having an
extended argument. They insulted each other worse and worse, until
finally one of them challenged the other to a duel.

Monday: Meet me in person and say that!
Tuesday: OK, I will.
Wednesday: Meet me at the mall on Sunday, at the upper level parking
deck, at 2 PM.
Thursday: I'll be there. You'll know me because I'm 6'4", brown hair and
ice-blue eyes and I'll be driving my red Jaguar convertible. I'm a
special forces ranger.
Friday: OK. I'll be there. I'm 6'6, 220 pounds all muscle, red hair and
green eyes, and I'm a navy SEAL. I drive a black Mercedes.
Saturday: Oh yeah, I'm coming alone and you'd better come alone too or
I'll beat up all your friends.
Sunday:
Monday: Hey, I was there, where were you?
Tuesday: I was there but you chickened out. Chicken.
Wednesday: I was there wit a bunch of my friends and they'll all testify
that you never showed up.
Thursday: We never saw you, and we must have waited around for nearly an
hour. My friends will all swear to it.
Friday: You're a goddam coward! Show up this Sunday at 2 PM and I'll kick
your ass.
Saturday: I'll be there.

.... two weeks later ....

Monday: At last you showed up and I kicked your ass.
Tuesday: Don't lie, *I* kicked *your* ass.
Wednesday: You've got a lot of nerve! You wanna say that to my face? I'll
kick your ass a lot worse this time.

As long as it was guys mouthing off on the BBS they could say whatever
they wanted and nobody could hold them responsible. Then and now. So
Catawumpus can continue to claim he won whatever argument he claims he
was having with you, and there's nothing to say whether he's right or
wrong except perhaps disinterested bystanders might chime in with
opinions -- and he could make sock puppets to do that if he wanted to.
The rules of logic and evidence etc might have a say, but those are
things for you to interpret and for him to interpret, and so they don't
lead to a consensus.

If you design a bridge or a dam and it falls down, you can't just tell
people it's still standing. If you design an airplane and it falls out of
the sky, you can't just say it's still up there. But if you have a Usenet
argument you can claim you won no matter what. Because it isn't real.

There's an old riddle that goes: When a drunk and a fool have an
argument, how do you tell which one is the fool?

And the answer is, in the morning the drunk will sober up. The other one,
the one who argued with a drunk, is the fool.

Here is a slightly different version: If a drunk and Catawumpus have an
argument, how do you tell which one is the fool?

Here is another version: If Catawumpus and a fool have an argument, how
do you tell which one is the fool? That one is more like the first
version, because arguing with Catawumpus is quite similar to arguing with
a drunk.

Marko Amnell

Jun 23, 2010, 2:37:29 PM6/23/10
On Jun 23, 7:16 pm, Jonah Thomas <jethom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Zeleny wrote:
> >> Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm>:

Your analogy is not quite apt. While Catawumpus
aka Moggin is almost certainly the proverbial
nerdy 90 pound weakling type, Zeleny is a
former consultant for the Illinois Law Enforcement
Commission, is familiar with fire arms, and looks
fairly muscular in photographs easily found on
the Web. I could find no photographs of
Catawumpus / Moggin so I guess theoretically it
remains possible he is one of those "tough geek"
types like, say, UFC cage fighter Rich Franklin
(former high school math teacher).

But as far as duels go, you're on the right track.
Zeleny challenged Mike Godwin (of "Godwin's Law"
fame") to a duel, but Godwin backed out, and if
I recall correctly, Zeleny even challenged me to
a duel with sabres once, in honour of his sabre-
wielding Russian ancestors.

ObBook. _A Jew on Horseback_, an upcoming
biography of Isaac Babel by Gregory Freidin.

as well as the title of a NYRB article on Babel...
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/jun/22/a-jew-on-horseback/

Catawumpus

Jun 24, 2010, 1:14:59 AM6/24/10
Marko Amnell <marko....@kolumbus.fi>:

> Zeleny challenged Mike Godwin (of "Godwin's Law"
> fame") to a duel, but Godwin backed out, and if
> I recall correctly, Zeleny even challenged me to
> a duel with sabres once, in honour of his sabre-
> wielding Russian ancestors.

First propagandizing for the Pope, now flacking for Zeleny:
nobody can deny that you're generous with your services.
Mikhail challenged Godwin to a duel, it's true, but then ducked
out after discovering Godwin's choice of weapon (namely the
game Trivial Pursuit). First he tried to hide behind a reading
of the 18th c. Irish dueling code. That failing, he made
"It's my party" his rather transparent excuse. (There was also
some chatter about an airplane ticket to Albania that his
second didn't send.) The whole thing went on for years -- like
certain other RAB discussions -- and got mentioned in the
Wall Street Journal. Jim Hartley quoted from the story like so:

        Every so often, a bit of on-line fervor spills
into real life. Mike Godwin, an attorney with the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, a Washington,
D.C.-based advocacy organization, once accepted a
challenge to duel with one network bully who regularly
threatened people in a philosophy discussion group and
declared his familiarity with guns and swords.

        "He wanted me to pick deadly weapons," says Mr.
Godwin. "He wanted to kill me." Mr. Godwin's weapon of
choice was Trivial Pursuit, and the battle was to occur
at the lawyer's home. The bully never showed up,
claiming he didn't want to waste his time with a board
game.  "I was never worried that I was going to get
hurt by the guy," Mr. Godwin says. "I thought I would
call his bluff."

http://tinyurl.com/2v6zvyr
http://tinyurl.com/2vnjkg5
http://tinyurl.com/33j56e2

-- Catawumpus

Catawumpus

Jun 24, 2010, 1:20:21 AM6/24/10
Jonah Thomas <jeth...@gmail.com>:

> Catawumpus can continue to claim he won whatever argument he claims he
> was having with you, and there's nothing to say whether he's right or
> wrong except perhaps disinterested bystanders might chime in with
> opinions -- and he could make sock puppets to do that if he wanted to.

Since Jonah is unable to figure out what the arguments are
about here, it comes as no surprise that he's unable to
identify their rights and wrongs. At least he's learning to be
open about his limitations.

> If you design a bridge or a dam and it falls down, you can't just tell
> people it's still standing. If you design an airplane and it falls out of
> the sky, you can't just say it's still up there. But if you have a Usenet
> argument you can claim you won no matter what. Because it isn't real.

When you're in the wrong you can say so, you can just drop
the subject, or you can tell yourself stuff like, "It's on
Usenet, so it isn't real." Jonah's choice couldn't be any more
obvious.

> If Catawumpus and a fool have an argument, how
> do you tell which one is the fool? That one is more like the first
> version, because arguing with Catawumpus is quite similar to arguing with
> a drunk.

Jonah now replaces his pretence of argument with unadorned
name-calling. Same way things usually go with him. Maybe
he'd feel better about all of this if he had a few stiff drinks.

-- Catawumpus

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 24, 2010, 1:45:33 AM6/24/10
> as well as the title of a NYRB article on Babel...http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/jun/22/a-jew-on-horseback/- Hide quoted text -

obBook: "And quiet flows the Don" Mikhail Sholokhov. I was trying to
find the passage where Grigory Melekhov in a one-on-one sabre duel on
horseback shifts the blade to his left hand at the last moment, then
attacks the opposition's backhand by turning his horse in the
unexpected direction. Could not find it, too much matter. Does
anyone remember?

Marko Amnell

Jun 24, 2010, 4:40:36 AM6/24/10
> > as well as the title of a NYRB article on Babel...http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/jun/22/a-jew-on-horseba...Hide quoted text -

> obBook: "And quiet flows the Don" Mikhail Sholokhov.
> I was trying to find the passage where Grigory Melekhov
> in a one-on-one sabre duel on horseback shifts the blade
> to his left hand at the last moment, then attacks the opposition's
> backhand by turning his horse in the unexpected direction.
> Could not find it, too much matter.  Does anyone remember?

Are you sure you are remembering the fight correctly?
Does he really shift the sabre to his left hand?
Or is it this fight? :

"Six Hungarian hussars were busily occupied
with the horses of the field-gun on the extreme
right of the battery. One was dragging at the
bits of the excited artillery horses, another was
beating them with the flat of his sword, while
the others were tugging and pulling at the
spokes of the carriage wheels. An officer on a
dock-tailed chocolate mare was giving orders.
At the sight of the Cossacks the hussars leapt
to their horses.
" "Closer, closer," Grigory counted to the
rhythm of his galloping horse. As he galloped,
one foot momentarily lost its stirrup, and feeling
himself insecure in his saddle, with inward
alarm he bent over and fished with his toe for
the dangling iron. When he had recovered his
foothold he looked up and saw the six horses
of the field-gun in front of him. The outrider
on the foremost in a blood- and brain-spattered
shirt, was lying over the animal's neck, embracing it.
Grigory's horse brought its hoof down
with a sickening scrunch on the body of the
dead gunner. Two more were lying by an over-
turned case of shells. A fourth was stretched
face downward over the gun-carriage. Silantyev
was just in front of Grigory. The Hungarian officer
fired at almost point-blank range and the
Cossack fell, his hands clutching and embracing
the air. Grigory pulled on his reins and
tried to approach the officer from the left, the
better to use his sabre; but the officer saw
through his manoeuvre and fired under his arm
at him. Having discharged the contents of his
revolver, he drew his sword. He parried three
smashing blows with the skill of a trained fencer.
Grigory gritted his teeth and lunged at him
yet a fourth time, standing in his stirrups. Their
horses were now galloping almost side by side,
and he noticed the ashy clean-shaven cheek of
the Hungarian and the regimental number sewn
on his collar. With a feint he diverted the officer's
attention, and changing the direction of
his stroke, thrust the point of his sabre between
the Hungarian's shoulder-blades. He aimed a
second blow at the neck, just at the top of the
spine. The officer dropped his sword and reins
from his hands, and arched his back as if he
had been bitten, then toppled over his saddle-
bow. Feeling a terrible relief, Grigory lashed
at his head, and saw the sabre smash into the
bone above the ear. "

http://www.archive.org/stream/andquietflowsdon00shol/andquietflowsdon00shol_djvu.txt

Arindam Banerjee

Jun 24, 2010, 8:00:50 AM6/24/10
> > > as well as the title of a NYRB article on Babel...http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/jun/22/a-jew-on-horseba...quoted text -
> http://www.archive.org/stream/andquietflowsdon00shol/andquietflowsdon...- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I read that account this afternoon. Was it some other book... I
don't know, read it more than 25 years ago.
You seem to have the same translation as I have, form Progress
Publishers, Moscow. 4 volumes

I seem to have confused two fights. The first one you published, other
one, Vol 4, p 439 is:

"When he had covered some forty yards he looked back. Fomin, Kaparin,
Chumakov, and several other men were following at a furious gallop
some twenty yards behind him. The machine-guns in the forest had
stopped firing; only the one on the extreme right was rattling away
with short, angry bursts at the Fomin men scrambling around the
baggage-wagons. Then that last machine-gun also fell silent, and
Grigory realized that the attackers were now right on top of the camp,
and that the men left behind were being sabred. He guessed it from
the desperate shouts, and the occasional shots fired by the defenders.
But he had no time to look back. As his horse carried him impetuously
towards the stream of men advancing against him, he chose his man. A
soldier in a short sheepskin was galloping towards him on a grey, not
very fast horse. As though in a flash of lightning, for one elusive
moment Grigory saw the horse with its white, foam-flecked chest, the
rider, his youthful face flushed with excitement, and behind him the
broad, sombre expanse of the steppe stretching away to the Don. The
next moment he would have to avoid a blow an wield his sabre. When
some ten yards from the rider, Grigory swung his body sharply over to
the left. He heard the cutting whistle of a sabre above his head and,
jerking himself upright in the saddle, touched the man on the head
with the very point of his sabre as he passed. His hand hardly felt
the force of the blow, but, looking back, he saw the man sag and
slowly slip out of the saddle and saw a thick stream of blood on the
back of his yellow sheepskin coat. The grey horse slackened into a
fast trot, running sideways as though afraid of its own shadow, its
head carried wildly high in the air."

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee

Latreides Amasa Carbuncle Corps

Jun 24, 2010, 10:51:09 AM6/24/10
On Jun 23, 11:20 pm, Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Jonah Thomas <jethom...@gmail.com>:

>      Jonah now replaces his pretence of argument with unadorned
> name-calling.  Same way things usually go with him.  Maybe
> he'd feel better about all of this if he had a few stiff drinks.
>
> -- Catawumpus

I do not want Jonah feeling better about it. He is Julius Caesar,
slated for death by dagger, and I am Tutankhamen the Overwhelmed. If
he attained the power I have achieved, I would feel threatened.

Julyssus

Jonah Thomas

Jun 24, 2010, 12:36:02 PM6/24/10
Latreides Amasa Carbuncle Corps wrote:
> Catawumpus <kimmer...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Jonah Thomas <jethom...@gmail.com>:
>
>>      Jonah now replaces his pretence of argument with unadorned
>> name-calling.  Same way things usually go with him.  Maybe he'd feel
>> better about all of this if he had a few stiff drinks.

> I do not want Jonah feeling better about it. He is Julius Caesar, slated
> for death by dagger, and I am Tutankhamen the Overwhelmed. If he
> attained the power I have achieved, I would feel threatened.

Regardless what you want, I feel fine. I am not in competition with you.
I am not in competition with silly Catawumpus.

If you show me some truth that I can use, I will use it and be better off
than before. If you tell silly Catawumpus lies I will not feel that I
have wasted much time on you.

If you participated in a medieval melee contest, then you would win if
you were the last man left standing. Kind of unambiguous who wins and who
loses, and if there is any ambiguity it gets cleared up before the award.

If you collect stamps and you know some other stamp-collectors, you can
make up reasons why you're the winner and the others are all losers,
but....

Michael Zeleny

Jun 24, 2010, 3:49:02 PM6/24/10
On Jun 23, 12:42 am, Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:
>> Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

>>>                 Your boasted

>>> ass-kicking remained a bootless fantasy.  It isn't all bad news
>>> for you, though:  since the foot that you lost is still
>>> missing in action, you have an extra shoe to pound on the table.

>> "Nicht einmal falsch." No need for me to raise a limb in view of this

>      Too late!  You not merely raised a limb but lost one.  The
> boot you claimed to land on my rear never arrived -- which
> raises some doubts about your asserted success as a
> delivery-boy -- leaving you hopping around w/out any idea where
> your leg is.

And yet my part in this exchange is vindicating this mosh pit of
misery whereof you have whined incessantly over the past fifteen
years. I am calling you out for being a dickless whingebag, Weinles.
Craft your non-response accordingly.

>> spastic seizure. Humiliating a creature bereft of self-respect is

>> quite a feat. From carping about our fallen world to seething

>      You already tried that one.  Again, your bait of falsehood
> vs. my carp of truth, not to mention your self-humiliation
> according to your own definition in persistent misreadings frex
> of Plato and Job:  desperate, dishonest attempts to defend
> Creator or Creation that nicely illustrate life's dependence on
> the lie.

A case in point. No Creator whose Creation incorporates the bounties
of pussy and booze, stands in need of my attempts to defend Him. Not
that a creature of your gormless disposition could be counted upon to
know the first thing about either. And yet here you are, carping about
whores, bereft of gear salient in their regard.

Michael Zeleny

Jun 24, 2010, 5:03:52 PM6/24/10
to Catawumpus, Michael Zeleny

Godwin called my bluff like Weinles buttressed his whingebag dirge.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books/msg/ea84ba3a9b58114f?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books/msg/4fc74a6cee9c049b?hl=en

On Nov 2 1998, 1:00 am, mnem...@well.com (Mike Godwin) wrote:
> In article <71l6up$e...@Steam.Stanford.EDU>,
>
> Meg Worley <m...@Steam.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>> MZ writes:
>>> [I]t has been my experience that
>>> properly administered and arbitrated exchange of blows is by far the
>>> best means of gracefully resolving disagreements that arise between
>>> querulous windbags exemplified by present company.
>
>> I never thought to hear the humilitas topos from you, Mikhail.
>
> I must confess it took my breath away.
>
> --Mike
>
> --

> "I speak the password primeval .... I give the sign of democracy ...."
> --Walt Whitman

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books/msg/e53db071eaf293c5?hl=en

I have it on good authority that Godwin still trembles at the mention
of my name.

Sic semper ascaules.

Patok

Jun 24, 2010, 5:33:11 PM6/24/10
Catawumpus wrote:
> Marko Amnell <marko....@kolumbus.fi>:
>
>> Zeleny challenged Mike Godwin (of "Godwin's Law"
>> fame") to a duel, but Godwin backed out, and if
>> I recall correctly, Zeleny even challenged me to
>> a duel with sabres once, in honour of his sabre-
>> wielding Russian ancestors.
>
> "He wanted me to pick deadly weapons," says Mr.
> Godwin. "He wanted to kill me." Mr. Godwin's weapon of
> choice was Trivial Pursuit, and the battle was to occur
> at the lawyer's home. The bully never showed up,
> claiming he didn't want to waste his time with a board
> game. "I was never worried that I was going to get
> hurt by the guy," Mr. Godwin says. "I thought I would
> call his bluff."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v6zvyr
> http://tinyurl.com/2vnjkg5
> http://tinyurl.com/33j56e2

Fascinating. In the end, did the WSJ print Zeleny's letter? Whatever
he is, "network bully" he's not. (How /can/ one be a "network bully" -
the very notion is funny.) Anyhow, it was interesting to read how
Goodwin did not (or pretended not to) understand Zeleny's Hoch-English.
Good stuff.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.

Mike Godwin

Jun 25, 2010, 1:58:25 AM6/25/10
On Jun 24, 2:03 pm, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have it on good authority that Godwin still trembles at the mention
> of my name.

I do shake with laughter when your name is mentioned, yes. I'd think
anyone would. Too bad you chickened out that evening I wasted waiting
for you to show up.

--m

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 3:45:03 AM6/25/10
Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> No Creator whose Creation incorporates the bounties
> of pussy and booze, stands in need of my attempts to defend Him.

So you say now. Yet you've repeatedly made it your job to
defend the Creator in the Book of Job. Likewise earthly
existence in the Socratic dialogues. In both cases you shifted
between misrepresenting the writings under discussion and
tap-dancing around them where they disputed you: your standard
contribution.

http://tinyurl.com/2emnslu
http://tinyurl.com/29gshem
http://tinyurl.com/2dj4vqd
http://tinyurl.com/257nvpf
http://tinyurl.com/2aw5con
http://tinyurl.com/2dq5zln
http://tinyurl.com/2elxmc5
http://tinyurl.com/287c5y9
http://tinyurl.com/29nehsf
http://tinyurl.com/2cjng4w
http://tinyurl.com/26lsh9p
http://tinyurl.com/2eohfqa
http://tinyurl.com/2elxmc5

Refusing to stand up for your ideas improves substantially
on your efforts to support them.

-- Catawumpus

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 3:52:17 AM6/25/10
Patok <crazy.d...@gmail.com>:

>> "He wanted me to pick deadly weapons," says Mr.
>> Godwin. "He wanted to kill me." Mr. Godwin's weapon of
>> choice was Trivial Pursuit, and the battle was to occur
>> at the lawyer's home. The bully never showed up,
>> claiming he didn't want to waste his time with a board
>> game. "I was never worried that I was going to get
>> hurt by the guy," Mr. Godwin says. "I thought I would
>> call his bluff."

>> http://tinyurl.com/2v6zvyr
>> http://tinyurl.com/2vnjkg5
>> http://tinyurl.com/33j56e2

> Fascinating. In the end, did the WSJ print Zeleny's letter? Whatever
> he is, "network bully" he's not. (How /can/ one be a "network bully" -
> the very notion is funny.)

Isn't that the point? 'Talks like a bully on the
network but then doesn't show up.' His bluff thus being called.

> Anyhow, it was interesting to read how
> Goodwin did not (or pretended not to) understand Zeleny's Hoch-English.

Hooch-English is more like it, I was going to say, but the
joke doesn't fit his stiff-legged prose -- except maybe in a
"No, officer, I haven't been drinking" sort of way -- which has
been called Byzantine and unfelicitous by one of its
_defenders_. Clogged is probably the best one-word description.

-- Catawumpus

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 3:54:06 AM6/25/10
Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> I have it on good authority that Godwin still trembles at the mention
> of my name.

He must be a jolly old soul who can't suppress his giggles.

-- Catawumpus

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 4:00:23 AM6/25/10

Latreides Amasa Carbuncle Corps <wichita...@msn.com>:

> I do not want Jonah feeling better about it. He is Julius Caesar,
> slated for death by dagger, and I am Tutankhamen the Overwhelmed. If
> he attained the power I have achieved, I would feel threatened.

Damn! I can see he won't be getting those drinks from you.
Not to boast, but since Mikhail has officially declared me
seething I've got the power thing squared away, "Can't fight the
seether" being a Veruckian truth.

-- Catawumpus

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 4:02:11 AM6/25/10
Jonah Thomas <jeth...@gmail.com>:

> If you show me some truth that I can use, I will use it and be better off
> than before.

If you show Jonah truth he dislikes, he'll spit, fuss, and
call names.

> If you tell silly Catawumpus lies I will not feel that I
> have wasted much time on you.
> If you participated in a medieval melee contest, then you would win if
> you were the last man left standing. Kind of unambiguous who wins and who
> loses, and if there is any ambiguity it gets cleared up before the award.
> If you collect stamps and you know some other stamp-collectors, you can
> make up reasons why you're the winner and the others are all losers,
> but....

But if you're Jonah, then you're stuck tossing accusations
you never back up.

-- Catawumpus

Michael Zeleny

Jun 25, 2010, 4:23:20 AM6/25/10
to Mike Godwin, Paul Mitchell, Michael Zeleny

Your tremors in my presence have been richly attested in this venue by
Tal Kubo and Meg Worley. Seventeen years later, Paul Mitchell
witnessed your anxiety at the mere mention of my name in a meeting
with Jimbo Wales. My challenge is still open. To measure the depth of
your cowardice, I present you with additional options of wax bullets
at twelve paces and bamboo swords within a striking range. If you have
the balls, Jimbo and Paul can make the arrangements.

Michael Zeleny

Jun 25, 2010, 4:58:44 AM6/25/10
to Catawumpus, Michael Zeleny

God kills a kitten each time a rational man engages an attention
whore. You mistake your interlocutors' tendency to realize that for
their refusal to stand up for their ideas.

Catawumpus

Jun 25, 2010, 6:06:59 AM6/25/10
Catawumpus <kimm...@fastmail.fm>:

>> Refusing to stand up for your ideas improves substantially
>> on your efforts to support them.

Michael Zeleny <larv...@gmail.com>:

> God kills a kitten each time a rational man engages an attention
> whore. You mistake your interlocutors' tendency to realize that for
> their refusal to stand up for their ideas.

Hilarious. First you go running from your failed attempts
to defend Yahweh in Job and earthly life in the Socratic
dialogues, shifting to the position that they don't need you to
advocate for them, and now you're on the run from your own
running away. You won't even stand up for your refusal to make
a stand.

-- Catawumpus

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:54:27 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:53:57 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:54:57 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:55:27 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:58:03 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 8:58:00 AM6/25/10

I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 11:09:14 AM6/25/10
Jonah Thomas wrote:

> I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.

Sorry about the multiposting. My newsreader hung up and claimed it was
trying to post, it did not tell me it was posting many times.

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 12:09:16 PM6/25/10
Catawumpus wrote:
> Jonah Thomas <jeth...@gmail.com>:

I have no expectation that anything interesting might come from you about
this, but maybe somebody else will read it and say something interesting.

>> Catawumpus can continue to claim he won whatever argument he claims he
>> was having with you, and there's nothing to say whether he's right or
>> wrong except perhaps disinterested bystanders might chime in with
>> opinions -- and he could make sock puppets to do that if he wanted to.
>
> Since Jonah is unable to figure out what the arguments are
> about here, it comes as no surprise that he's unable to identify their
> rights and wrongs. At least he's learning to be open about his
> limitations.

You repeatedly claim to be the arbiter of what the arguments are and what
the discussion is about. Why would anybody else be able to mind-read what
you have decided it's about this time?

I say that you often decide that the argument is about matters of
judgement and not matters of fact, though sometimes you switch back and
forth between them.

For example, there is the question of what the Book of Job says. This
varies among translations, and scholars sometimes debate subtleties among
the meaning in the original, and there is some reason to believe it was
translated into hebrew from phoenician and was originally about Ba'al.
But whatever, discussion about what Job says is discussion about facts
that can be argued by reference to experts and authorities.

The question about whether our interpretation of Job's moral stand is a
correct moral stand is different, it's a moral question. Should God be
praised or blamed? Is life worth living or is it better to die now? These
are questions of judgement, which is a different domain than questions
about fact.

There are people who say that morality is a question of fact, that there
is an absolute morality which is factually correct -- theirs -- and
everybody who disagrees with them about it is wrong. I assert that these
people are confused. We can judge competing moralities by various
standards -- do they encourage the survival and prosperity of the people
who espouse them? Do they encourage the survival and prosperity of the
societies that espouse them? Do they reduce the likelihood that humanity
will go extinct this year? Do they reduce the likelihood that life on
earth will all die off? -- but these are all standards that people can
accept or reject. Someone who believes that it would be a good thing for
all life to end today has a valid point of view, just one I disagree with.

"I can beat you and my dog can beat your dog." Question of fact. If we
have a fight and I get hurt to the point I beg you to stop beating me up,
then I have agreed that you are able to beat me up. If I am stubborn
enough to keep fighting until you kill me, likewise. It may be an
irrelevant fact since I don't have to agree to fight you and I can sue
you for assault and battery, but it's a factual question.

"My wife is more beautiful than your wife and my horse's ass is more
beautiful than your horse's ass." Question of judgement. There is no
objective measurement. We could perhaps ask 200 random people and see if
there is statistically significant agreement. We can somewhat go by
historical standards -- women with two eyes are considered more beautiful
than women with one eye, etc. But it's basicly subjective judgement.

"My moral standards are better than your moral standards and my cat's
moral standards are better than your cat's moral standards." Fact or
judgement?

Patok

Jun 25, 2010, 1:45:12 PM6/25/10

Well, here you have one thing that has changed since the BBS days. :)
(Actually, I don't know - never seen a live dialup BBS. Was such a thing
possible with them? I think that such glitches are purely TCP/IP artifacts.)

Jonah Thomas

Jun 25, 2010, 1:53:20 PM6/25/10
Patok wrote:
> Jonah Thomas wrote:
>> Jonah Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know why I thought things had changed since the BBS days.
>>
>> Sorry about the multiposting. My newsreader hung up and claimed it was
>> trying to post, it did not tell me it was posting many times.
>
> Well, here you have one thing that has changed since the BBS days.
> :)
> (Actually, I don't know - never seen a live dialup BBS. Was such a thing
> possible with them? I think that such glitches are purely TCP/IP
> artifacts.)

I know it was possible with some BBS software, but IME usually the sysop
would delete the extras. Usually there was so little traffic that sysops
could read it all, and they wanted to reduce bandwidth when they traded
messages across 1200 baud modems on local phone lines.

Michael Zeleny

Jun 25, 2010, 11:57:41 PM6/25/10