Happy 80th, Edward Frascino! (Illustrator: "The Trumpet of the Swan" by E.B. White, 1970)

leno...@yahoo.com

Nov 15, 2018, 2:37:22 PM11/15/18
He lives in NYC. (Then again, one source says he was born in 1931.)

He's also a New Yorker cartoonist and writer.

From an interview:

"I especially like The Trumpet of the Swan because it promotes wildlife conservation and, after it was published, many handicapped children wrote letters telling how they were encouraged by the triumph of Louis, a trumpeter born mute."

https://www.treasuryofgreatchildrensbooks.com/people/edward-frascino-5883

Excerpt:

"...Best known for obtaining the commission to illustrate E. B. White’s “The Trumpet of the Swan” over Garth Williams. White was in a hurry due to pressing financial needs from his wife’s illness and thought Williams could not deliver the illustrations in time for a spring publication date. His contact with Frascino at The New Yorker probably also influenced him."

https://www.google.com/search?q=edward+frascino&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixt9TSi9feAhXIVN8KHTfPDWYQ_AUIDygC&biw=1266&bih=850
(cartoons)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=850&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=nsjtW7yZDtHN_Aa2iKzQCw&q=edward+frascino+books&oq=edward+frascino+books&gs_l=img.3...36188.36861..37048...0.0..0.82.407.6......1....1..gws-wiz-img.anpnbP6pPUg
(book covers)

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=850&ei=3MjtW7zqEvDI_Qbc5Ke4CA&q=edward+frascino+kirkus&oq=edward+frascino+kirkus&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160l2.8019.8780..9004...0.0..0.99.522.6......0....1..gws-wiz.iiBvaBBm3bs
(two Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/409615.Edward_Frascino
(reader reviews)

WRITINGS:
FOR CHILDREN; SELF-ILLUSTRATED

Eddie Spaghetti, Harper, 1978.

Eddie Spaghetti on the Home Front, Harper, 1983.
My Cousin the King, Prentice-Hall, 1985.
Nanny Noony and the Magic Spell, Pippin Press, 1988.

Nanny Noony and the Dust Queen, Pippin Press, 1990.

(With Catherine Mudibo-Piwang) A Visit from the Leopard: Memories of a Ugandan Childhood, illustrated by James Roberts, Pippin Press (New York, NY), 2000.

FOR CHILDREN; ILLUSTRATOR

Mary Stolz, Say Something, Harper, 1968.
M. Stolz, The Dragons of the Queen, Harper, 1969.
M. Stolz, The Story of a Singular Hen and Her Peculiar Children, Harper, 1969.

Marjorie W. Sharmat, Gladys Told Me to Meet Her Here, Harper, 1970.
E. B. White, The Trumpet of the Swan, Harper, 1970.
Hans Christian Andersen, The Little Mermaid, translated by Eva Le Gallienne, Harper, 1971.
Gladys Y. Cretan, A Hole, a Box, and a Stick, Lothrop, 1972.
Carole Hart, Delilah, Harper, 1973.
Robert E. Barry, Snowman's Secret, Macmillan, 1975.
Shirley Gordon, Crystal Is the New Girl, Harper, 1976.
S. Gordon, Crystal Is My Friend, Harper, 1978.
Nancy L. Robison, UFO Kidnap!, Lothrop, 1978.
Nigel Gray, It'll All Come Out in the Wash, Harper, 1979.
N. Robison, Space Hijack!, Lothrop, 1979.

S. Gordon, Me and the Bad Guys, Harper, 1980.
N. Robison, Izoo, Lothrop, 1980.
S. Gordon, Happy Birthday, Crystal, Harper, 1981.
Charles Keller, compiler, Oh, Brother: And Other Family Jokes, Prentice-Hall, 1982.
William E. Warren, The Graveyard and Other Not-So-Scary Stories, Prentice-Hall, 1984.
W. E. Warren, The Thing in the Swamp and More Not-So-Scary Stories, Prentice-Hall, 1984.
W. E. Warren, Footsteps in the Fog: Still More Not-So-Scary Stories, Prentice-Hall, 1985.
Rudyard Kipling, The Elephant's Child, Prentice-Hall, 1987.
C. Keller, Count Draculations! Monster Riddles, Prentice-Hall, 1988.
S. Gordon, Crystal's Christmas Carol, Harper, 1989.

C. Keller, compiler, King Henry the Ape: Animal Jokes, Pippin Press, 1990.
Windmill Hill, by Hope Slaughter, Pippin Press, 1993.

OTHER

Avocado Is Not Your Color: And Other Scenes of Married Bliss (adult cartoons), Penguin, 1983.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Nov 20, 2018, 11:06:16 AM11/20/18
The last address I found for him is Los Angeles.

On top of that, to my annoyance, the database "Contemporary Authors" says he attended Parson's School of Design (1951) and served in the Korean War (1951-1953), but the database "Major Authors and Illustrators for Children and Young Adults" says:

"...Although he enjoyed little of the social or academic life, he excelled at art, and after graduation, he enrolled at Parsons School of Design in New York City.

"While attending Parson's during the mid-1950s, Frascino finally met people who shared his interests, some of whom became lifelong friends. He was also able to spend all his time doing what he loved--drawing. A highlight of his years at Parson's was attending a summer painting course in Mexico where the young artist was inspired by the exotic surroundings to produce his best work yet. Unfortunately, upon graduating, Frascino was unable to turn his love for art into an income, despite his efforts to find employment with many magazines and advertising agencies. Frustrated, he joined the U.S. Army Reserves in 1959 and soon found himself drawing topographical maps in Korea."

And BELOW that, it says:

"Graduated from Parson's School of Design, 1959."

I tried including Korea in my Google search and then "U.S. Army." No luck.

Btw, here's the only photo of him I could find - with many others, so you have to wait a while:

https://michaelmaslin.com/new-yorker-cartoonists-z/

I find it a bit odd that the second article I quoted from would say that he was sent to Korea in 1959 - unless that really did happen, for some reason. (That is, IF he was born in 1938, he clearly wouldn't have been in the Korean War, which "ended" in 1953.)

So for the moment, I guess I won't delete the birthday greetings.

Lenona.

Lenona

Sep 2, 2021, 4:48:02 PM9/2/21
Well, this interview from last November seems to confirm that he was born in 1930!

(Love those Trumpet of the Swan illustrations - they really do prove how much beauty there can be in just black and white.)

https://michaelmaslin.com/celebrating-new-yorker-artist-edward-frascinos-90th-birthday-the-ink-spill-interview/

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/2AYR9LNL3Bk/m/VXecwyP-AQAJ
(some biographical details)