Question on The New Yorker's Ed Frascino

leno...@yahoo.com

Nov 16, 2018, 5:43:08 PM11/16/18
Does anyone have proof of when he was born?

(Btw, he's best known for illustrating E.B. White's "The Trumpet of the Swan." The last address I found for him, today, is Los Angeles.)

I posted birthday greetings yesterday at rec.arts.books.childrens - I thought he was turning 80. But...several sources, including some sites for tracking down people's addresses, suggest he was born in 1930.

On top of that, to my annoyance, the database "Contemporary Authors" says he attended Parson's School of Design (1951) and served in the Korean War (1951-1953), but the database "Major Authors and Illustrators for Children and Young Adults" says:

"...Although he enjoyed little of the social or academic life, he excelled at art, and after graduation, he enrolled at Parsons School of Design in New York City.

"While attending Parson's during the mid-1950s, Frascino finally met people who shared his interests, some of whom became lifelong friends. He was also able to spend all his time doing what he loved--drawing. A highlight of his years at Parson's was attending a summer painting course in Mexico where the young artist was inspired by the exotic surroundings to produce his best work yet. Unfortunately, upon graduating, Frascino was unable to turn his love for art into an income, despite his efforts to find employment with many magazines and advertising agencies. Frustrated, he joined the U.S. Army Reserves in 1959 and soon found himself drawing topographical maps in Korea."

And BELOW that, it says:

"Graduated from Parson's School of Design, 1959."

I tried including Korea in my Google search and then "U.S. Army." No luck.

Btw, here's the only photo of him I could find - with many others, so you have to wait a while:

https://michaelmaslin.com/new-yorker-cartoonists-z/

Lenona.

D.D.Degg

Nov 16, 2018, 7:12:17 PM11/16/18
lenona's request:
> Does anyone have proof of when he was born?
>
> (Btw, he's best known for illustrating E.B. White's "The Trumpet of the Swan." The last address I found for him, today, is Los Angeles.)

Well, this page says he was apparently born in 1965
and then at age 5 beat out Garth Williams for the
job of illustrating "The Trumpet of the Swan".
https://www.treasuryofgreatchildrensbooks.com/people/edward-frascino-5883

The Internet Science Fiction Dataabase list November 15, 1930
as a birth date: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?108760

Ancestry.com syas he was 9 years old at the time of the 1940 census.

Mario Frascino in the 1940 Census
Age 47, born abt 1893
Birthplace Italy
Gender Male
Race White
Home in 1940
Bronx Park East
New York,
Bronx, New York
Household Members Age
Head Mario Frascino 47
Wife Rose Frascino 39
Son Edward Frascino 9
Son Angelo Frascino 7

https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/New-York/Mario-Frascino_49fdw

leno...@yahoo.com

Nov 20, 2018, 11:03:07 AM11/20/18
Well, of course I don't know just when in 1940 the census was taken.

But I find it a bit odd that the second article I quoted from would say that he was sent to Korea in 1959 - unless that really did happen, for some reason. (That is, IF he was born in 1938, he clearly wouldn't have been in the Korean War, which "ended" in 1953.)

So for the moment, I guess I won't delete the birthday greetings.

D.D.Degg

Nov 20, 2018, 11:14:55 AM11/20/18
Lenona wrote:

> > The Internet Science Fiction Dataabase list November 15, 1930
> > as a birth date: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?108760
> >
> > Ancestry.com syas he was 9 years old at the time of the 1940 census.
> >
> > Mario Frascino in the 1940 Census
> > Age 47, born abt 1893
> > Birthplace Italy
> > Gender Male
> > Race White
> > Home in 1940
> > Bronx Park East
> > New York,
> > Bronx, New York
> > Household Members Age
> > Head Mario Frascino 47
> > Wife Rose Frascino 39
> > Son Edward Frascino 9
> > Son Angelo Frascino 7
> >
> > https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/New-York/Mario-Frascino_49fdw
>

> Well, of course I don't know just when in 1940 the census was taken.

"The 1940 census was taken in April 1940 (official date was April 1,
though entries were recorded throughout early April)."
https://1940census.archives.gov/about/