GSoc 2014 : 'Front End for OpenMRS Form Builder' query

Prabhjot Singh

Feb 26, 2014, 9:29:35 AM2/26/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am a student developer pursuing Computer Science Engineering (3rd Year) from BVCOE, New Delhi. I have been a contributor to Apache Software Foundation (ASF) in the past and have sound understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. That's why I want to take up 'Front End for OpenMRS Form Builder' as my GSoc project this year. Currently, I am familiarizing myself with Sencha Touch and OpenMRS REST API.

I have a query regarding the
Sencha Touch webapp. Do we also need to natively wrap the sencha touch app for multiple mobile platforms?
If yes, can we also consider phonegap and cordova for wrapping purposes along with sencha?

Thank You!

Regards
Prabhjot Singh

John Stoecker

Feb 26, 2014, 9:44:43 AM2/26/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa-gsoc
Hi Prabhjot,
Great to hear of your interest. Most of our projects involve Sencha Touch, as we like how easy it is to app them up for Android and iOS. Apping them up is a great 'nice-to-have', and in your proposal timeline I might include a week or so for apping using Sencha Cmd.
Phonegap and cordova shouldn't be necessary, unless we are using native functions like print, etc.

Prabhjot Singh

Feb 26, 2014, 10:15:16 AM2/26/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa-gsoc
Great. I will remain in touch with you to get more insights of the project.

Prabhjot Singh

Feb 27, 2014, 1:33:38 AM2/27/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa-gsoc
Thank you for editing the project explanation part. Its much more understandable now.

Prabhjot Singh

Feb 27, 2014, 12:03:26 PM2/27/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Sir

As mentioned in the project objectives, I explored Sencha Touch and it seems that i'll be done with the learning part in the next two days. Henceforth, I plan to implement a simple Sencha webapp along with the use of REST API for warm-up and to demonstrate my coding skills.

In the Raxa GSoC group description, it is written that we need to submit a basic application with responses to "application questions"  via the GSoC website. I didn't find any application questions there. Will they be disclosed as the student application period starts?
Please Clarify.

Thank You!

Regards
Prabhjot Singh

Amrit Singh

Feb 28, 2014, 12:09:04 PM2/28/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com

Hi Prabhjot,

Yes, you will get the questions when the application period starts, i.e. 10th March 2014. Best of luck!

Also, stay up to date with our wiki. It will be updated soon to make your application process very simple.

Amrit
Mar 2, 2014, 5:51:54 AM3/2/14
to raxa-gsoc, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
The questions are available here: https://raxaemr.atlassian.net/wiki/display/RAXAJSS/Google+Summer+of+Code+2014+at+the+Raxa+EMR

The application will also include the project proposal (the more detailed the better) as well as your project project timeline over the summer.

Prabhjot Singh

Mar 2, 2014, 6:39:50 AM3/2/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Will submit a strong proposal.

Prabhjot Singh

Mar 10, 2014, 7:50:29 AM3/10/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have built a demo Form Builder app using Sencha Touch along with JS. The source code is available here: https://github.com/prabh-me/Form-Builder-Demo
I understand that its not a good idea to bombard the index.html file with most of the code, its just a prototype. Also, I have used bootstrap and jquery for front-end development after checking the compatibility of code licenses. The screenshots have been attached. Please provide feedback so I can start making my proposal accordingly.

Thank You!

Regards
Prabhjot Singh
demo1.png
demo2.png

Manojit Ghosh

Mar 10, 2014, 8:09:41 AM3/10/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa...@googlegroups.com
Nice.

Karan Singh

Mar 10, 2014, 9:26:39 AM3/10/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prabhjot,

This is a good start.

However, most of your code seemed cramped up. You would want to structure your code more according to the MVC architecture. Using models, stores, views and controllers. The index.html file should be kept clean with just the script imports and app loading code.

Also, html form elements don't always go well with Sencha. So, consider using sencha xtypes instead.

P.S. It was good to see a responsive design :)

Thanks
Karan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Raxa GSoC" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/raxa-gsoc.

Prabhjot Singh

Mar 10, 2014, 10:17:35 AM3/10/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, ka...@singhkaran.com
Thank you for the advice.
I'll add a few commits to the code as soon as I am done with making the proposal. Will take care of the MVC architecture.
Prabhjot Singh
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to raxa-jss-emr-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Prabhjot Singh

Mar 16, 2014, 11:44:42 PM3/16/14
to raxa...@googlegroups.com, raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, ka...@singhkaran.com
Hello everyone.
First of all, Happy Holi.
I have submitted my GSoC proposal on this pious day and looking for some feedback.
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/prabh/5629499534213120

Please provide few suggestions on the proposal so that I can add/modify/delete them in my proposal.
Currently, I am working on improving my demo application as suggested by @karan. I'll update the code as soon as possible.

Regards
Prabhjot Singh