Unable to open .rattle file "Error in .RGtkCall("S_gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new_with_backend", title, : Could not parse enum value load"

Dave Arnold

Mar 24, 2019, 7:01:35 AM3/24/19
to rattle-users
Hello,
In the last 2 weeks, when I try to open a saved .rattle file I get the following error message.
I have tried this on 2 PC's with Windows 10 installed.
When I click on Open button in Rattle I get the following error message in the console.

Error in .RGtkCall("S_gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new_with_backend", title,  :
  Could not parse enum value load

I reinstalled R, RStudio, Rattle, and dependencies and got the same result.

Anyone else getting this error?

Thanks,

David

Graham Williams

Mar 24, 2019, 7:05:34 AM3/24/19
to rattle-users
Thanks for the report Dave and thanks for also posting to StackOverflow. I decided to include a response here also since this is affecting many users. A workaround is posted to StackOverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55304938/how-do-i-resolve-the-following-error-while-opening-a-rattle-file-error-in :

It looks like a change to the RGtk2 package from 2.20.35 to 2.20.36 has broken rattle. For now revert to the previous version of RGtk2.

For Linux:

> install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/RGtk2/RGtk2_2.20.35.tar.gz", repos=NULL)

For Windows

> install.packages("https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3/RGtk2_2.20.35.zip", repos=NULL)

I hope to have a fix for rattle soon.

Regards,
Graham

Eric

Mar 29, 2019, 11:45:41 PM3/29/19
to rattle-users
Hello Graham:

I get the following error with your Windows solution:
Error...  cannot open URL 'https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3/RGtk2_2.20.35.zip': HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
I cannot find any publication of RGtk2_2.20.35.zip.

Please help, Eric

Graham Williams

Mar 29, 2019, 11:48:07 PM3/29/19
to rattle-users