Using the Docker wrapper to install Rattle for Mac = once again, problems with GTK version

Roger Bohn

Apr 4, 2018, 11:56:14 PM4/4/18
to rattle-users
TL; DR. It appears that the compiled and packaged version of Rattle available through Docker, which is about 6 months old, needs to be recompiled to be consistent with currently available versions of GTK .  Can anyone help?

After multiple other methods, I have tried GW's suggestion of using the Docker package, to install rattle for the Macintosh. See multiple discussions on Stackoverflow and elsewhere. Basically, the problem seems to come down to there not being compiled Mac versions of several required packages. There are compiled versions for Linux and Windows, and source code.

The approach mostly taken on github and stackoverflow is to compile the missing programs. That won't work for my students. (Example: https://gist.github.com/zhiyzuo/a489ffdcc5da87f28f8589a55aa206dd)

Therefore I am trying the approach documented here, of using the Docker package: https://hub.docker.com/r/kayon/rattle/
Everything went fine, for a while. But near the end, I once again get a version of a familiar error message:

>library(rattle)

>rattle()

Error in rattle() : Can't load RGtk2.

  A windowing system can't be accessed?

  Maybe you are using a remote terminal (ssh) or RStudio browser connection.

  Consider using remote desktop, ssh -X, or X2Go depending on your platform.

  Running rattle() locally on a desktop is the default.

My Next try is to install RGtk2.

>install.packages("RGtk2")

(various diagnostics omitted here)

Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2793069 bytes (2.7 MB)

downloaded 2.7 MB

* installing *source* package 'RGtk2' ...

** package 'RGtk2' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

checking for INTROSPECTION... no

checking for GTK... no

configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RGtk2'

> install.packages("GTK")

Installing package into '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'

(as 'lib' is unspecified)

Warning message:

package 'GTK' is not available (for R version 3.4.1)

My speculation is that the Docker package was compiled with R version 3.4.1. However, the version of Gtk that was available at that time (7 months ago) is no longer available. The currently available version of GTK, whatever it may be, is not compatible with 3.4.1.
Conclusion: is there a place to find a matching version of GTK, whatever is required by R version 3.4.1? Conversely, is there a newly packaged version of  Docker with Rattle?

Graham Williams

Jul 11, 2018, 9:52:46 PM7/11/18
to rattle...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the information. I've now updated the docker image to the latest R and Rattle. I wonder if that helps. I may need to explore some more the issue of GTK on Mac if that fails. I would not have thought it is related to a version issue. If anyone on the list tries the docker image on Mac then please let us know how you go. Thanks.

Regards, Graham via Android