Retiring this list?

Pat Allan

Jan 5, 2022, 5:58:30ā€ÆAM1/5/22
to Ruby or Rails Oceania
Hello to everyone who still pays attention to this list! šŸ‘‹šŸ»

I was just in the process of moderating some job posts that hadn't followed the guidelinesā€¦ and when I went to point that poster to the guidelines, I realised they're no longer pinned to the top of the group. Google Groups no longer supports that functionality, and has no plans to bring it back.Ā Which makes it rather difficult to guide posters in appropriate behaviour.

This has led to me thinking that perhaps this list can be retired. Pretty much all posts these days - as rare as they are - are for jobs, and I think they're better directed to the jobs channels in the Ruby Australia and Ruby New Zealand Slack workspaces. The former also cross-posts toĀ https://forum.ruby.org.auĀ as well - and other non-job discussions happen in these Slack spaces too.

This group has had the advantage that it's more permanent (as free Slack spaces don't keep history beyond the last 10k messages), and also that it's not solely a Ruby AU or Ruby NZ space (or any other country): it predates both organisations by quite some time, and is mindful of the broader region, even if it's still been very NZ/AU focused in practice.

ā€¦ still, it feels the moment has passed for this list.

If anyone has an argument for keeping it alive, speak up before the end of January. Otherwise I'll lock it down from future posts - what's here will stay available for anyone spelunking through the history of Ruby communities. I've certainly appreciated the discussions here that helped spark so many wonderful interactions (and those discussions continue on via Slack).

Hoping you're all keeping well despite the chaos and stress of these pandemic times. Take care, stay safe, wear a mask, and look after yourself and each other.

--Ā
Pat
(long-time list moderator)

Karen Askins

Jan 5, 2022, 4:18:52ā€ÆPM1/5/22
to rails-...@googlegroups.com
The end of an era.Ā

I hope you areĀ well, Pat.Ā
Thank you for allĀ your hard work on this group overĀ the years. Stay safe and healthy.Ā

KindĀ regards
Kaz

Pat Allan

Jan 31, 2022, 9:36:18ā€ÆPM1/31/22
to Ruby or Rails Oceania
Thank you Kaz :) and thanks to those who responded via other channels as well.

It seems the consensus is that this list can indeed be retired - though there's also the recognition of how important it has been in sparking the community, sharing knowledge, and helping people find their first Ruby roles. No small thing! ā¤ļø

Take care, and shall catch you all via other means (perhaps Slack, perhaps even Rails Camp this weekend!)

--Ā
Pat