radioberry juice board beta 2

Radioberry

Dec 28, 2021, 1:28:40 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
Hi All,

I have some board available.

Some pictures:

juice beta2 1 gr.jpg

juice beta 2 2 gr.jpg

Please let me known if you are interested.

Iam asking 55 euro (ex shipment)  for a board.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Robert Alford

Dec 28, 2021, 1:30:49 PM12/28/21
to Radioberry
I am interested but have a question.

What does the name juice signify ?

It it a earlier or later revision

Rick Koch

Dec 29, 2021, 7:56:48 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

I'd like to buy one.
I sent you email with my info.

Tnx

-Rick / N1GP

Tokio

Dec 29, 2021, 9:15:39 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Hello Johan,

I've been waiting for the Juice board beta2.
I'd like to buy one.

Please give me the detailed information off the list.

Tokio
JA1CCA

2021年12月29日(水) 3:28 Radioberry <radio...@googlegroups.com>:

J P Watters

Dec 29, 2021, 11:33:43 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry

Jon,

I am interested in a board, I would send funding,

If you like, I will paypal you your estimate for shipping to US.

And if your estimate is short, I would paypal you the difference.

J P Watters, KC9KKO, 108 Woodland Road, Morris, IL 60450 USA

..jpw

KC9KKO

From: Radioberry <radio...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM
To: Radioberry <radio...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: radioberry juice board beta 2

Hi All,

I have some board available.

Some pictures:

Please let me known if you are interested.

Iam asking 55 euro (ex shipment)  for a board.

73 Johan

PA3GSB

Peter

Jan 2, 2022, 11:44:29 PM1/2/22
to Radioberry

Can someone help me compile a firmware program for juice to be used on windows? I saw that there are only source files on github without a compiled exe. I want to build a juice board, but there is no firmware.
Message has been deleted

pa3gsb

Jan 4, 2022, 8:47:05 AM1/4/22
to Radioberry
Hi All

Yesterday i created a release for beta2  (including the windows exe)

https://github.com/pa3gsb/Radioberry-2.x/releases/tag/radioberry-juice

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Op dinsdag 4 januari 2022 om 08:02:38 UTC+1 schreef Yado-san:
Hi Perter, Group,

We can download the executable for juice(beta1) below.

Here's one way to make Juice-firmware in a Command Prompt in Windows.

(1) Download MinGW(Minimalist GNU for Windows)  form  http://mingw-w64.org/
  Click 'Downloads'  ->  Click 'MingW-W64-builds' windows  8.1.0/?  ->  Click 'Installation: Sourceforge'
  and install  "mingw-w64-install.exe"

(2) Install 'make' command.
          also useful to include 'ls' and 'rm' etc..

 Download gnumake form http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm
  Click 'Binaries' to download "make-3.81-bin.zip"  ->  unzip  ->  e.g. move to D:gnu_bin/make.exe
  Click 'Dependencies' to download "make-3.81-dep.zip" ->  unzip  ->  e.g. move to D:gnu_bin/libiconv2.dll and D:gnu_bin/libintl3.dll

 Download coreutil(rm, ls, cd, etc..) from  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm
  Click Binaries Zip to download "coreutils-5.3.0-bin.zip" ->  unzip  ->  e.g. move to D:/gnu_bin/ls.exe,  rm.exe etc.

(3) Compile Juice
Hit 'set path' command first in a command prompt in Windows.
> SET PATH=D:\gnu_bin;%PATH%
> cd radioberry-juice
> make

Happy New Year
Yado-san, jg1twp

2022年1月3日月曜日 13:44:29 UTC+9 Peter:

Peter

Jan 4, 2022, 12:23:33 PM1/4/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

Thanks for the help, I ran the juice firmware program on windows, everything seems to be normal, but when I use SPARKSDR, there is no spectrum, and it prompts "us stream read not complete"

pa3gsb

Jan 5, 2022, 10:49:45 AM1/5/22
to Radioberry
Please provide a little bit more information. beta1 or beta2 and maybe some logging?

Pe Go

Jan 10, 2022, 1:18:33 PM1/10/22
to Radioberry
Hello Johan,

If available I' m interested in Your board!

Tnx

Peter

pa3gsb

Jan 10, 2022, 1:31:23 PM1/10/22
to Radioberry
Hi Peter,

I have 3 boards left; one reserved for you; so please send a private mail for arranging the details.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Toon Fiets

Jan 12, 2022, 5:12:11 AM1/12/22
to Radioberry
Hallo Johan,

Zijn er nog boards beschikbaar?

antoon / pa3bwe

Rob Robinette

Jan 12, 2022, 8:35:29 AM1/12/22
to Radioberry

Peter

Jan 13, 2022, 2:28:01 AM1/13/22
to Radioberry
log.png
When I run SDR Spark show the “us stream read not complete”,I use juice board beta2 .My radioberry on RPi 4 work fine.

pa3gsb

Jan 13, 2022, 10:56:35 AM1/13/22
to Radioberry
Already running beta2.... you are fast to make use of the latest beta 2 board.

The beta 2 contains an error you need to fix:

Knipsel.PNG

I think this will help.

Johan

rent...@comcast.net

Jan 13, 2022, 3:44:28 PM1/13/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

So, leave out R18 and R19 and flywire DATA3 (J5 27) to J5 38 and DATA4 (J5 28) to J5 36, is that correct?  Since DB1 is DNI, I'm guessing nothing needs to done physically to pins 3 and 5.

I received my Juice B2 PCB's today and will transfer parts over from the two B1 versions I built.

Thanks and 73,

Robert, WA2T

pa3gsb

Jan 14, 2022, 10:44:53 AM1/14/22
to Radioberry
Robert,

Yes. Despite reviews we did not found the mistake...

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter

Jan 15, 2022, 1:20:02 AM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan, after I modify the I2C by flywire the juice + radioberry can work .
Thank you again!

pa3gsb

Jan 15, 2022, 2:23:08 AM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Peter,
Nice work. Happy it is working for you.
73 Johan
PA3GSB

Yado-san

Jan 15, 2022, 10:39:09 AM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan, Group

Thanks help.
My radioberry juice beta2 worked fine too :)
-> attached 3RX_fs384kHz

I made this Juice board with "FT2232H Mini module".
It is easy to make, but need to be careful with the wiring. -> USB2.0(480Mbps).

 https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/DS_FT2232H_Mini_Module.pdf
 https://octopart.com/search?q=FT2232H_Mini_Module

Yado-san, jg1twp

2022年1月15日土曜日 16:23:08 UTC+9 pa3gsb:
Juice_beta2_3rx.png
Juice_with FT2232H module.png

Duncan Clark

Jan 15, 2022, 1:44:13 PM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan, Group

The beta2 board I received is working perfectly on Rx with an AliExpress Radioberry bought before the pricing went crazy. Running under Windows 10 with Hermes Lite tweaked
version of Thetis. Not tried Txing yet.

Duncan
G4ELJ
Thetis with Radioberry.JPGThetis with Radioberry 384kHz.JPG

pa3gsb

Jan 15, 2022, 2:16:31 PM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Hi Duncan,

Nice to see that the board is working for you.

Tnx for feedback.

Have fun

73 Johan
PA3GSB

rent...@comcast.net

Jan 15, 2022, 7:39:26 PM1/15/22
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

Completed my Juice B2 PCB's today, looking forward to trying them out.  Hope I don't jinx myself by mentioning them!

Thank you Johan for yet another excellent addition to the Radioberry family!

73,

Robert, WA2T

softerh...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2022, 12:21:00 AM1/17/22
to Radioberry
Hi Yado-san,

Thanks for posting your design using a FT2232H mini module. It is great to see that the juice functionality works with other FT2232 boards. Also, very nice to see that all of Johan's good work on the juice board and support is working for other people.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Yado-san

Jan 17, 2022, 4:43:10 AM1/17/22
to Radioberry
Hi Steve,

Thanks for messege. :)
Yes, I'm very happy to be able to build and experiment with the radioberry and juice board.
I would also like to make a SofterHardwareCW Keyer.

Tnx.
Yado-san, jg1twp

2022年1月17日月曜日 14:21:00 UTC+9 softerh...@gmail.com:

rent...@comcast.net

Jan 17, 2022, 1:08:54 PM1/17/22
to Radioberry
Hi Group,

Well, both my Juice B2 boards seem to be working perfectly! (on RX anyway, have not tried TX'ing yet).

I notice that the registering of the Juice board on Johan's site does not seem to be part of the current executable, no further messages after "Radioberry, Starting packet rx part." (until SDR program is started that is).  Is this expected or could there be something about my network which causes registration not to happen?  No issue with this, just an observation.

Also, I was wondering, is there a command or key sequence to stop the command window execution of radioberry-juice.exe?  The only way I have found so far is to close the window but I'm betting there is a "better"/more graceful way to do this.

Here's a photo of the back of the Juice board showing the two needed "white wires", this might help future builders:

Juice Flywires.jpg

Lastly, here's my boards, Juice and two Radioberry's, one with 10CL016 and one with 10CL025.  Can only run the 10CL025 with Juice currently.

RBs and Juices.JPG

Having fun!

Thanks Johan and all.

73,

Robert, WA2T

rent...@comcast.net

Jan 17, 2022, 2:23:47 PM1/17/22
to Radioberry
It's me again.

With regard to my question about how to best stop Juice program execution, Ctrl-C works fine if you turn off the radio in Thetis first.  So, perhaps that is the answer (but feel free to tell me more!).

RF attenuation seems to act weird with Radioberry and Thetis HL2 tweaked version, when you start the radio, the attenuation is 0, the gain is very high (spectrum very raised) and "ADC Overload!" is displayed.  If you change the attenuation to -20 and then back to 0 (maybe -10 in between?), then things are fine (where they were not fine at radio start).

I will have to look at the "regular" Thetis version to see if it is any different in this regard.

73,

Robert, WA2T

rent...@comcast.net

Jan 17, 2022, 3:05:07 PM1/17/22
to Radioberry
About ATT.

Seems to be some sort of bug in Thetis for HL2, but ATT works properly once you get the gain to go down.  Calling the parameter ATT is very non-intuitive (at least to me), I guess negative attenuation is gain, so why not call it RF Gain?  Anyway, if I exit the program with ATT set to -20, then start everything back up, the gain is way high.  Go to 0, -10, -20 and things straighten out, including -20 looks, way different than it does at program boot (if Thetis is exited with ATT set to -20).

With "regular" Thetis, the ATT behavior is very odd, but does not seem to go way high like the HL2 version does.  I seem to recall this is one of the things the HL2 version fixes.

With both versions of Thetis, I find that VAC 1 resets itself to unchecked each time I restart the program.  So, I have to re-enable it each time in order to get audio.  Not sure what that's about.  Saving database doesn't seem to help.  It for some reason is not saving that setting from the last time the program was run.  I'll have to research this issue (but any insights are welcome!).

73,
Robert

Duncan Clark

Jan 17, 2022, 3:34:03 PM1/17/22
to Radioberry
Hi Robert,

Mine registers fine. Should be showing up on the portal.

What I have found though is I have something that is a bit temperature sensitive on either the Radioberry board or the Juice board. I left it running 6 bands and 4 Rx's per band with SparkSDR on Sunday afternoon and after
approx 3hrs the connection with the computer just died. Powercycling the 12V to the Juice board allowed me to reconnect but it fell over within 20secs.

Outside shack tonight is12C and it all connects just fine so I have put a small computer fan blowing at the Radioberry side, left it running and and I will see what happens.  I am already running larger heatsinks than you are showing. Only getting to 40C or so without the fan and way lower with it.  Not exactly hot. If it does it again I will save the Cmd messages

With regards the HL2 modified Thetis, I didn't have a problem with VAC or the ATT.  My ATT defaulted to 0 but in the settings I think you can set a particular value or run the Auto setting switch - just have to find which tab that is buried in! I find that I have to invariably re-enable CFC and leveller on the DSP options. I've never understood why Thetis and PowerSDR can't save and re-read it's settings properly. Frustrating.

Do you or anyone else know how to set a command line option so I can have it read one database for HL2 and another for the Radioberry? Settings should be pretty much the same but ....

You may be better resetting the database - make a copy or screen grab everything first i.e. equaliser, Rx1 and RX2 display per band and CFC settings etc. Always good to export a working database every so often.

Duncan
G4ELJ

Registration.JPG

Tokio

Jan 17, 2022, 5:23:47 PM1/17/22
to Radioberry
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the picture of "white wires". It helps a lot to confirm the position of jumpers.
Yesterday I've received a Juice board from Johan. The jumpers are already put on the same position as yours.

73,
Tokio

2022年1月18日火曜日 3:08:54 UTC+9 rent...@comcast.net:
IMG-0145.JPG

Rick Koch

Jan 19, 2022, 3:15:12 PM1/19/22
to Radioberry
Hello Group,

Recv'd my Juice B2 board today and trying it out w/ my aliexpress Radioberry. Running the latest release
from the github beta2 area I see it working well with one RX up to 382K in SparkSDR. If I try two RXs I get
jumps in the 2nd RXs noise floor. This happens on sample rates > 48K. Anyone else seen this?

RX1

spark1.png

RX2
spark2.png

Duncan Clark

Jan 20, 2022, 3:10:19 PM1/20/22
to Radioberry
Hi Folks,

With a small fan, my Radioberry and Juice 2 combination has been up and running now for over 72hrs. I'll leave it running until Saturday morning.

Running 6 bands with SparkSDR monitoring FT8, FT4 and WSPR on 160m-30m overnight and 40m-12m during daylight. Antenna is a Wellbrook loop at about 2m.  Very very simple setup.

I am really shocked to see that I am now the top UK monitor on PSK reporter.

So question for Johan

Can one do a gateware build using the 10Rx version of the HL2 gateware? Is there enough capacity to stream that many Rx's at 48K on the Radioberry.

Duncan
G4ELJ

Rick Koch

Jan 20, 2022, 4:29:57 PM1/20/22
to Radioberry
Turns out this was a thermal issue. I isolated it using cool spray to the FPGA which has a heatsink on it.
I wasn't using a fan, but now with a fan blowing on it, no more glitches in the noise floor.
I can run 6 receivers @ 384K with linhpsdr. Very happy to see that!

Radioberry

Jan 21, 2022, 8:05:21 AM1/21/22
to Radioberry
Duncan

That small radio is doing a fine business.

Will also try this weekend to get into your log!

Have fun.

73 Johan

Some considetations if someone wants to increase the number of actual slices :

The FT2232H using th FT245 protocol

uses a clock of 60Mhz

Max tranfser is 60*8bits = 480Mbps

I did some testing:

Laptop  running Windows 10.

FTDI driver information: 02.12.28

Init device for iq stream handling...
Init device succeeded for iq streaming using FT245 protocol.
Please wait for performance measurement to end ....
Performance test ended succesfull.

Read 1GB from the radioberry using juice board in 22.3 seconds.

Average read speed: 385.9 Mbps.

RPI-4

Running raspberry pi linux version 5.10.17-v7l+

FTDI driver information: 01.04.08

Init device for iq stream handling...
Init device succeeded for iq streaming using FT245 protocol.
Please wait for performance measurement to end ....
Performance test ended succesfull.

Read 1GB from the radioberry using juice board in 105.9 seconds.

Average read speed: 81.1 Mbps.

Dual boot laptop; Windows 10

FTDI driver information: 02.12.36

Init device for iq stream handling...
Init device succeeded for iq streaming using FT245 protocol.
Please wait for performance measurement to end ....
Performance test ended succesfull.

Read 1GB from the radioberry using juice board in 22.3 seconds.

Average read speed: 385.5 Mbps.

Dual boot laptop; Linux Ubuntu 5.8.0-63-generic

FTDI driver information: 01.04.24

Init device for iq stream handling...
Init device succeeded for iq streaming using FT245 protocol.
Please wait for performance measurement to end ....
Performance test ended succesfull.

Read 1GB from the radioberry using juice board in 62.6 seconds.

Average read speed: 137.1 Mbps.

Resource use for CL025 type FPGA:

; Family                             ; Cyclone 10 LP                               ;
; Device                             ; 10CL025YE144C8G                             ;
; Timing Models                      ; Final                                       ;
; Total logic elements               ; 21,526 / 24,624 ( 87 % )                    ;
;     Total combinational functions  ; 15,919 / 24,624 ( 65 % )                    ;
;     Dedicated logic registers      ; 18,191 / 24,624 ( 74 % )                    ;

For people who like to increase the number of RX slices:

some idea's:
- Removing the TX i suppose you could add another 1 or 2 rx slices.

- Removing the FIR filters to make 10Rx slices possible; not very efficient.

I really like the idea as described in the document

https://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~schulman/docs/mobisys19-sparsdr.pdf

Radioberry

Jan 21, 2022, 9:20:07 AM1/21/22
to Radioberry
Duncan

FT8.JPG

Duncan Clark

Jan 21, 2022, 10:45:58 AM1/21/22
to Radioberry
:-)

Duncan

Duncan Clark

Jan 21, 2022, 10:57:35 AM1/21/22
to Radioberry
Hi Johan,

There is an HL2 10Rx only version gateware -

Variants
  • hl2b5up_main - Main gateware for Hermes-Lite 2.0 build5 and later Includes all programming file types. This is what most people will use. Use the hl2b5up_main.rbf file for network update with Quisk, SparkSDR or hermeslite.py.

  • variants/hl2b5_cicrx - 10RX only gateware for Hermes-Lite 2.0 build5 and later. This only supports 192kHz receivers. This uses only CIC filters and consequently only about 70kHz of the spectrum is usable. This is for multiband skimming.
No idea how compatible or not that is for the Radioberry or how much work it would be to port that to the Radioberry.

It know it worked fine when I tried it a few months ago on my HL2.

Duncan

Radioberry

Jan 22, 2022, 2:45:13 AM1/22/22
to Radioberry

Duncan

iam aware of the 10RX solution; the solution can be used after mods for radioberry as well.

The 10RX HL 2 solutions is using 384K , the  data throughput can be the limiting factor;  that is why i gave listed the juice  measurements.

These 384K is chosen do to seriously whooping; so a limitied bandwith of the 384Kc can be used.

If the 6 RX version using 384K is working fine in your setup, there is maybe room for more;

You have to do some experiments, maybe with others who are looking for .. iam not in for this experiment.

A simple step is remove the TX and increase the number of RX slices see if 7 RX slices do fit.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Rick Koch

Feb 1, 2022, 3:16:20 PM2/1/22
to Radioberry
I took a try at getting the 10RX solution working for the juice. It is working for me successfully
using Sparksdr (10 rx's) and also using SkimSrv and RttySkimSrv (8 rx's).

I merged the variant  hl2b5up_cicrx to a new variant radioberry_juice_cl025_cicrx.
Here are those changes:

If you would like to try it, this zip file contain the new firmware RBF variant for 10 rx's and a modified radioberry-juice.exe
to allow passing in a firmware filename:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0a4elzgtwk0vj5/radioberry_10rx.zip?dl=0

Here is a git diff of the juice/firmware changes to allow that:

-Rick / N1GP

Message has been deleted

rent...@comcast.net

Feb 1, 2022, 3:50:18 PM2/1/22
to Radioberry
Awesome Rick, thanks for your efforts!

If I understand what you've written correctly, an RBF file for 10CL016 Radioberry's (of whatever flavor, I am talking "basic" gateware at the moment) could be loaded using your modified radioberry-juice.exe, do I have that right?  Reason I ask is I have 2) Radioberry boards, one with a 10CL016 and one with a 10CL025.

Maybe the RBF to be used for a Radioberry with Juice is different than with RPi, not sure.  If yes, there is no 10CL016 RBF for that (yet).

73,

Robert, WA2T

Radioberry

Feb 2, 2022, 4:24:01 AM2/2/22
to Radioberry

Rick,

Tnx for sharing.

What are the specs of your computer ; doing all the handling?

I looked at pskreporter to see some logs.... are uploading your results?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Rick Koch

Feb 2, 2022, 6:17:52 AM2/2/22
to Radioberry
Hi Robert,

The RBF's are different for the Radioberry using RPi -vs- Juice. I only modified the one for the 10CL025.

I just made the same modifications to the 10CL016 but only 8 RX, 10 wouldn't fit:

The RBF file is in the build folder.

-Rick / N1GP

Rick Koch

Feb 2, 2022, 6:21:08 AM2/2/22
to Radioberry
Johan,

I wasn't uploading but turned that on this morning.

I'm running a Linux PC, Debian Bullseye, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core, 32GB Mem.

73's

-Rick / N1GP

softerh...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2022, 1:29:08 PM2/2/22
to Radioberry
Hi Rick and Group,

Nice job on the port. Feel free to issue a pull request and I will at it to the github repository. The original 10-RX gateware was 384kHz only, but the current one (and the one I assume you ported) is 192kHz only. This gateware is a trade-off between processing in the FPGA or in the computer at the expense of network or USB bandwidth. For 10 receivers each with 24-bit IQ data at 192kHz, we'd expect roughly 10X2X24X192000 ~= 93Mbs. This fits in the bandwidth Johan measured and reported for Windows/Linux machines, but not RPi4 for some reason. Why is the RPi4 USB bandwidth so much lower? You probably couldn't demodulate 10 receivers well on a RPi4 anyway.

Rick, I am curious if the number of network errors (EP4) reported by SparkSDR is the same, better or worse with the juice board and the 10-RX gateware versus a HL2. If I remember correctly you also have a HL2. Do you see any differences?

73,

Steve
kf7o

Rick Koch

Feb 2, 2022, 3:40:21 PM2/2/22
to Radioberry
Hi Steve,

SparkSDR has a counter for EP6, I don't see one for the EP4.
With the juice board I saw an EP6 count of about 920 after 8 hours.
Running the HL2, after an hour I see ~120 which seems to be about the same rate.

I did port the 192kHz version, I'll issue a PR soon.

73s

-Rick / N1GP