New to the group: a few questions

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 16, 2024, 10:41:55 PMMay 16
to Radioberry
Ready to take the plunge and my first questions are in regard to the PI. 4BG seems to be the memory size most used for the Radioberry. Is there any advantage to go to 8GB?
The PI5 is out and not much more expensive than the PI4. Work is being done to use the PI5 with the Radioberry. Should I go straight to the PI5?

Kurt Brunner

May 17, 2024, 10:30:31 AMMay 17
to Jean-Claude Abauzit, Radioberry
Hello Jean-Claude,
 Welcome to the group. The pi4 works well, the pi5 has its challenges.  It would depend greatly on your experience with Linux. I like the pi4 because it was easier to get working and it works well. Either way its fun.

Kurt
KN4SJC

On Thu, May 16, 2024, 22:41 Jean-Claude Abauzit <jcad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ready to take the plunge and my first questions are in regard to the PI. 4BG seems to be the memory size most used for the Radioberry. Is there any advantage to go to 8GB?
The PI5 is out and not much more expensive than the PI4. Work is being done to use the PI5 with the Radioberry. Should I go straight to the PI5?

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 18, 2024, 12:01:16 PMMay 18
to Radioberry
Thanks for the reply Kurt. I was mentioning the PI5 only because the price difference with the Pi4 is not that much. In the end I will order a PI4 4GB and start learning right away installing the software and using it without worrying about other problems. The next step will be to make a usable TRX. I have an unbuilt Pennywhistle PA kit (16-20W on all HF band) and will need a 11dB driver to connect it to the Radioberry. Adding a RX/TR switch, a LPF and I could start making QSO on one band. But this is for the futture.

pa3gsb

May 18, 2024, 12:41:42 PMMay 18
to Radioberry
your setup need the radioberry hat

This will fit perfectly.

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 18, 2024, 9:06:24 PMMay 18
to Radioberry
Thank you very much for your work and the pointer to the hat. There is no documentation but the schematics says it all although I have a few question.
On TX the output of the RB goes thru an optional anti-aliasing filter, an optional attenuator and drives a push-pull driver made from 2 OP amps which can deliver up to 300mW. The ouput goes thru a set of realais and finally to the PA or the antenna if one wants to run barefoot at 300mW.
On the RX input of the RB things are a little more complicated as there is also a relai. On RX the output of the relai goes  the relai which goes to the PA/antenna. On TX the output of the relai goes to a 20dB attenuator which can be connected to an RF sampler if one wants to use transmit pre-distorsion (Pure Signal).
Besides that there are also provision for external inputs (paddles, straight key and PTT) which after conditioning go the the PI (Is uppose). There is also a MOSfet switch which activates the relais of the hat (I suppose the input rb_relai comes from the PI). Another MOSfet switch can also grounf an external signal (up to 28V) during TX.
In my case I need to switch the antenna relai and also ground the bias circuit of the PA so I guess this MOSfet could be used for that purpose.
The only thing I did not figure out yest is the connector JP201. Flat cable going to the PI?

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 18, 2024, 11:56:32 PMMay 18
to Radioberry
Something I did not pay attention on my previous post:
The hat has only one RF output/input to connect to an antenna or external PA but I want to use an internal PA board. This will require an additional relay to bypass the PA on RX.
On RX the signal will have to go thru 4 relays: the antenna relai, the "bypass" relai, the PA/Antenna relai of the hat and finally the RX/Sampler relai.

pa3gsb

May 19, 2024, 5:40:56 AMMay 19
to Radioberry
make a schematicof your setup.

https://groups.google.com/g/radioberry/c/Z2Vqnl1Da2A  (no flat cable used click the hat on the radioberry; the same as the radioberry is a hat for the rpi)

RB hat JP201 is a female connector  to attach to RB CN301 the male connector.

For your external bias and tx you need an additional sequencer i think.

hope this helps,

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 19, 2024, 10:53:43 AMMay 19
to Radioberry
Thanks. This morning after having my coffee it occured to me that these connections were more likely to go to the FPGA than the PI (rememberance from the openHPSDR).
Regarding the hat itself I will post on the PI Hat conversation.
Regarding this conversation I think I am done for the moment. When I receive my RB and PI I am sure I will have some question.
Now it is time to read more about the RadioBerry, in particular the hardware as so far what I read was more on the software installation.

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 20, 2024, 2:45:31 PMMay 20
to Radioberry
My PI and RadioBerry have been ordered and I started to read the Wiki.
My first question concerns the OS. From previous readings it seems that I must use the 32-bit OS. Is this correct?
The second question concerns the RadioBerry board. I ordered from Aliexpress which seems to ship boards exempt of problems. Having to return a board would be a lot of headache and expenses du to my location. One thing I did not pay attention is that the Cyclone is a CL16, not a CL25 so it has less LEs it also the reason it is cheaper compared to other boards. Is there a difference in the FPGA "firmware" between these 2 models? Are there enough LEs left for future "firmware" updates.

Wim PE1PWR

May 20, 2024, 2:51:20 PMMay 20
to Jean-Claude Abauzit, Radioberry
Hi Jean Claude
Quick answer. There is a 32 and 64 bits version. A CL025 is better if you won't to use the Juice.
Both version can be found on GitHub.
I have made a complete transmitter with a radioBerry. If you have acces to QRZ find me PE1PWR. I have place some pictures.
I try to send also my latest photo here.
Good luck.
Wim
PE1PWR
73.

Op 20 mei 2024, om 20:45, Jean-Claude Abauzit <jcad...@gmail.com> schreef:
IMG_20240506_071238.jpg

Jean-Claude Abauzit

May 20, 2024, 3:19:35 PMMay 20
to Radioberry
Thanks.
If I understand it correctly I can either use the 32-bit or the 64-bit OS. Is one better than the other for a 4GB PI?
The Juice is used when one wants to control the RB via a regular PC if I am not mistaken?
This is a beautifull rig with knobs and buttons in order to be a real rig.
How is the Red Pitaya compared to the RB?

Wim PE1PWR

May 20, 2024, 3:50:39 PMMay 20
to Jean-Claude Abauzit, Radioberry
Hi Jean-Claude.
I use both. I got three Radioberry.
One for the complete transmitter. And the others for experiment. The 64bits starts quicker.
Both works good. Even on higher bitread.
In compared with the Red Pitaya I like more the Radioberry. Even that I have to switch manual for bands. The Red Pitaya is Automatic. The Radioberry is cheaper but the transceiver quality is better. The Red Pitaya use Windows and need a long start for transmitting ready. The Radioberry starts very quickly and is very stable.
I have seen a radioBerry now for 85 Euro with a  juice on AliExpress. The price of a Red Pitaya is astronomical. Around 650 till 800 euros.
Give the Radioberry a go and you won't disappointed. I prefer it even above my Yeasu 7300 and 9100.
Wim
PE1PWR
73s

Ricardo Suarez

May 20, 2024, 6:01:07 PMMay 20
to Radioberry
"I have seen a radioBerry now for 85 Euro with a  juice on AliExpress. The price of a Red Pitaya is astronomical. Around 650 till 800 euros.
Give the Radioberry a go and you won't disappointed. I prefer it even above my Yeasu 7300 and 9100.
Wim
PE1PWR"

Buyed one of these "cheap" radioberry from chinese seller on AliExpress, they take my money,  and never send the board. Beware of these sellers!

The one buyed on eBay arrives today at my home, in only three weeks, two of them in the Argentina customs

Oficially radioberry owner, the adventure starts!

Rick LU9DA

Wim PE1PWR

May 21, 2024, 12:21:12 AMMay 21
to Ricardo Suarez, Radioberry
Hi Ricardo,

I think that I am the lucky one in reaction of your experience.
I have three Radioberry from AliExpress. Lowest price 90 euro. One in combination with juice 112 euro. And one for 135 euros. On eBay I have pay 146 euro. I received all of them. And when things go wrong you get you money back. Sure with PayPal in Ebay. I have buy them when there was a chip deliver problem. So I have try to build up a empty Radioberry pcb. No succes. I was glad that they start again with the production. There are some little problems with the green pcb Radioberry boards of AliExpress. They dont solder the AD9866 correct. Some of use has problems to start up the card. A quick test is give some pressure and the chip. If things starting its time to give a proper soldering.
I has 2 cards with this problem and solve it.
Good luck M8.
Wim
PE1PWR
73s