Overview and general discussion

Tobias Killer

Jul 17, 2017, 4:51:23 PM7/17/17
to qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com

Hello and welcome to this mailing list "qubes-translation"!

Below, I'd like to introduce this mailing list to you.

# Why this mailing list? #

This mailing list is mainly for discussing
translation/localization/internationalization purposes related to
Qubes OS [1] which is hosted on GitHub [5] consisting of several
projects. Moreover, it shall provide an easy access for translators
and other helpers who don't have or don't want a Github account.

# How to join and leave this mailing list #

To subscribe to this mailing list, send a blank email to
<qubes-transla...@googlegroups.com> and follow the upcoming
instructions. A Google account is not needed. To unsubscribe, send a
blank email to <qubes-translat...@googlegroups.com> and
follow the upcoming instructions.

Even if you don't have subscribed to this list, you may follow the
discussions here [2] and you may also reply to the list by sending an
email to <qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com>.

# Goal #

The goal is to set up and run a system that provides localized
up-to-date versions of the Qubes OS website, documentation and software.

Notes:
When a change has been made to the original website, documentation or
software, the translated versions shall also get updated as soon as
possible. For reaching this, an appropriate translation workflow has
to be established. The steps in that workflow shall be feasible for
humans; however, bots should be programmed and used where useful and
possible.

# History #

Following discussions and decisions have been made in the past (GitHub
issues):

#1333: "Decide how to handle doc/website language translations" [6]
- - Treats URL, path and source file schemes. However, I couldn't find
any realization of them.
- - Notes that translations will be treated as untrusted since the Qubes
OS team cannot read them all. Thus, they won't be signed by the Qubes
OS team.

#1452: "Create automated workflow for translation of Markdown content" [7]
- - Sketches how to upload the *.md files as *.txt files (since Markdown
wasn't supported then) to Transifex and download back again.
- - Discusses a Spanish translation sprint.
- - Addresses the problem of badly formatted Markdown files.
- - Refers to a small tool [12] that inserts line breaks where sentences
heuristically end. However, it does not remove line breaks between
parts of a same sentence and it does not pay attention to Markdown
list elements, escaped periods etc.. Also, the heuristics could be better.
- - Sketches a priority list of what to translate first.
- - Mentions a need for a "GitHub integration", instead of using ZIP files.

#2599: "Add support for translations in Qubes Manager" [8]
- - Seems to show that support for translating the "Qubes Manager"
software has been implemented.

#2652: "Implement website translations" [9]
- - Shows Andrew's ToDo list concerning necessary preparations in order
to provide a usable infrastructure. However, currently no list point
is checked yet.
- - Shows a proposal for a language switch.

#2824: "Translation Guidelines" [10]
- - Refers to an early version of my translation guidelines proposal [13].
- - Refers to the belonging discussion thread [14].
- - Refers to the official Documentation Guidelines [15].
- - Refers to a proposed Translation Workflow [16].
- - Discusses that workflow.

# Current status #

To get all the phrases localized, we use the service of Transifex [3]
to get Qubes OS translated [4]. There, the "Localization Lab" team
[11] helps us.

The documentation files are written in the Markdown format [21][22].
Transifex supports the Markdown file format now [17]. In the past,
when Markdown was not supported yet, *.md files were renamed to *.txt
files and uploaded to Transifex. After being translated, the files
should be downloaded and renamed back again. However, I don't see any
result yet.

So, many people currently translate old *.txt files uploaded to
Transifex while we have much newer versions in *.md.

Today, there is still no translated page online (as far as I can see).

# What to do next? (unsorted list) #

[ ] Add this mailing-list to the list of mailing-lists of Qubes OS [18].
[ ] We should test if Transifex' support of Markdown will work and fit
our needs.
[ ] Remove the *.txt files from Transifex and upload the *.md files
instead as soon as they are formatted pretty well.
[ ] Adapt the webserver filesystem hierarchy to fit our needs. (In my
view, we should use directories named "en-US" etc. for the
translations while keeping file names unmodified. Links in the
Markdown files should be relative, not absolute. To be discussed.) See
#1333 [6].
[ ] Implement a language switch. See #2652 [9].
[ ] Set up a test environment/directory on the server to test the
localized versions.
[ ] Set up a translation workflow (including translation guidelines
and a priority list concerning which page to translate first). See
#2824 [10][16].
[ ] Using the "Translation Memory Autofill" feature on Transifex
[19][20] doesn't work well if there are multiple sentences in a line
or multiple lines for one sentence in a original file. Thus, the
translation workflow should have a step to "beautify" the canonical
files before uploading them to Transifex. This is important and should
work well, so, this step should be made by machine if possible. See
#1452 [7][12].
[ ] Notify the translators at Transifex about the new translation
guidelines to follow.
[ ] Localize the *website* and *documentation* of Qubes OS.
[ ] Automate (sub-)processes of the translation workflow(s). Note: Our
bots should log their activities.
[ ] Implement a mechanism that inserts a top banner on every page
which says "This page is outdated." if there is a newer canonical version.
[ ] Implement a mechanism that inserts a top banner on every
non-canonical page which says something like "Warning: The following
is not the official version, thus, parts could be untranslated or
translated misleadingly. If you do not trust this version, please
refer to the English (US) version." which shall show up on every
non-canonical page.
[ ] Localize the *software* of Qubes OS. (This could need its own
Translation Workflow.) See #2599 [8].

I suggest that you may pick up a point you like to do or to discuss
and tell me (send an email to both me and this mailing list at the
same time). I'll coordinate the tasks.

Please answer to this email if you have to say something about the
list above (proposals for additions, deletions, modifications) or
something general. If you want to implement or discuss some point of
this list, please create a new email thread with a subject line
containing at least a short version of that point. E.g., if you want
to specify what bots should log, the subject line could be "Logging
bot activities: Specify what to log".

# Miscellaneous #

I'm looking for a co-leader who has experiences in getting software
and/or websites localized and could help when making decisions.
However, it's not a big problem to do it alone.

Please find attached my OpenPGP key. You may use it to verify the
digital signatures of the emails I'll write to this list.

Please do not top-post [23].

If there is anything unclear or if there are any questions or
suggestions, just tell me.

Regards,
Tobias Killer

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/qubes-translation
[3] https://www.transifex.com/
[4] https://www.transifex.com/otf/qubes/
[5] https://github.com/QubesOS
[6] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1333
[7] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1452
[8] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2599
[9] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2652
[10] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2824
[11] https://www.transifex.com/otf/public/
[12] https://github.com/gsganden/sentence-separator
[13]
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-devel/b8290681-9137-bf33-6dbf-ac6a663df69f%40posteo.de
[14] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-devel/a4gg3g4UuJg/discussion
[15] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines/
[16]
https://github.com/tokideveloper/qubes-doc/blob/translation-workflow/basics_user/translation-workflow.md
[17] https://docs.transifex.com/formats/markdown
[19] https://docs.transifex.com/setup/translation-memory
[20] https://docs.transifex.com/setup/translation-memory/enabling-autofill
[21] https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
[22] https://github.github.com/gfm/
[23] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
0x6E40B328.asc

Florian Brandes

Jul 18, 2017, 9:36:54 AM7/18/17
to qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com, tokidev

Michael Carbone

Jul 18, 2017, 3:52:44 PM7/18/17
to qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com
Florian Brandes:
> On 07/17/2017 10:51 PM, Tobias Killer wrote:
>
>> # What to do next? (unsorted list) #
>
>> [ ] Add this mailing-list to the list of mailing-lists of Qubes OS [18].
>
> I quickly wrote something about the qubes translation mailing list. Please see [1]
> for information. I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I would create a pull request
> later.

Thanks for starting this! I submitted a pull request to (hopefully) fix
the formatting and tweak the content to match other list descriptions.

--
Michael Carbone

Qubes OS | https://www.qubes-os.org
@QubesOS <https://www.twitter.com/QubesOS>

PGP fingerprint: D3D8 BEBF ECE8 91AC 46A7 30DE 63FC 4D26 84A7 33B4

Florian Brandes

Jul 19, 2017, 1:47:45 AM7/19/17
to qubes-tr...@googlegroups.com, mic...@qubes-os.org

Tobias Killer