[Interest] QML on Android

Sivan Greenberg

Mar 27, 2012, 9:01:07 AM3/27/12
to Interests Qt
Hi All,

It is my understanding that QML is not yet supported on Android
through some folks have managed to run their QML apps to some degree
of success. Is there somewhere a canonical tutorial that explains how
to get started with it? e.g., install, test app , deply, done ?

Thanks,
--
-Sivan

Boudewijn Rempt

Mar 27, 2012, 9:04:16 AM3/27/12
to Sivan Greenberg, Interests Qt
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Sivan Greenberg wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It is my understanding that QML is not yet supported on Android
> through some folks have managed to run their QML apps to some degree
> of success. Is there somewhere a canonical tutorial that explains how
> to get started with it? e.g., install, test app , deply, done ?

I don't know about a tutorial, but Marijn Kruisselbrink has managed
to make Calligra Active run on Android, and that's a QML app:

http://blogs.kde.org/node/4553

I don't think QML was actually the main problem for him, that worked
out of the box, though he had to port some of the plasma qml components.

Boudewijn

Sivan Greenberg

Mar 27, 2012, 9:14:03 AM3/27/12
to Boudewijn Rempt, Interests Qt
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <bo...@valdyas.org> wrote:
> I don't know about a tutorial, but Marijn Kruisselbrink has managed
> to make Calligra Active run on Android, and that's a QML app:
>
> http://blogs.kde.org/node/4553

Interesting, I'll check that.

> I don't think QML was actually the main problem for him, that worked
> out of the box, though he had to port some of the plasma qml components.

So, although a year old,
http://groups.google.com/group/android-qt/browse_thread/thread/ae94595293312a27/9f364c0bb16ea84a
notes some issues. Do you know if those are already solved? I guess
I'll find for myself when I try it :)

-Sivan

Rainer Wiesenfarth

Mar 27, 2012, 9:44:23 AM3/27/12
to inte...@qt-project.org
Am 27.03.2012 15:01, schrieb Sivan Greenberg:
> It is my understanding that QML is not yet supported on Android
> through some folks have managed to run their QML apps to some degree
> of success. Is there somewhere a canonical tutorial that explains how
> to get started with it? e.g., install, test app , deply, done ?

Hmm, no idea if this fits to your question, but what I know about Qt on
Android is the Necessitas project
(http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/necessitas/) - does that help
you any further?

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Rainer Wiesenfarth

--
Tel.: +49 (0)711 22 88-10 * Fax: +49 (0)711 22 88-111
Web: http://www.trimble.com/geospatial/ * http://www.inpho.de/

Harri Pasanen

Mar 27, 2012, 10:20:17 AM3/27/12
to inte...@qt-project.org
On 03/27/2012 03:01 PM, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is my understanding that QML is not yet supported on Android
> through some folks have managed to run their QML apps to some degree
> of success. Is there somewhere a canonical tutorial that explains how
> to get started with it? e.g., install, test app , deply, done ?
>
> Thanks,

Bare QML works, QML components is work in progress.
Those can be made to work to some extent.
Sound does not work yet.

To get started:

http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/necessitas/

explains the necessary steps.

As proof that I've tried it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mpaja.roboe

is an application I ported from Symbian/Meego to Android.

Depending on what you are doing, it might just work out of the box.

Only issues I ran into were sound, and RichText performance being bad on
Text component. Flickable default timing seemed to differ from Symbian
a bit, which made clicking links hard when element was in flickable.

Necessitas project could use some help. Unfortunately so far I haven't
had the time to contribute other than bug reports.

/Harri