Errors/stability of Necessitas+QML

Alex Rybakoff

Aug 1, 2011, 5:21:34 PM8/1/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

First of all, thank all the people who worked on Necessitas! :) After 2 evenings
of geeking, reading docs, compiling I've got my Qt/QML app (http://rybakoff.name/
prog/learn_words.html) working on Android.

There are some issues, which are still unresolved, and I haven't found any
answers, so I decides to post here:

- When application is in background for a long time (from some hours to day-
two), when you want to activate it again, the error message appears, saying that
"Application com.necessitas... has stopped working".

- Virtual keyboard, once appeared, remains on the screen always, even when
TextInput.focus in QML is set to false and is loaded other QML state (where
keyboard is not needed). Is there some way to hide the keyboard when there are
no more input needed?

- When you go from Qt app to some other (keyboard settings, browser, whatever)
and go back, everything on the screen is black, until you do some
action (flicking, for example) and the screen then
is redrawn. When the app is in foreground and the phone is locked by timeout and
unlocked again, the screen is ok. So, I think the problem is only when the app
is sent to background.

- Despite the fact that I have viewer.setOrientation
(QmlApplicationViewer::ScreenOrientationLockLandscape); the application is
automatically oriented to portrait, when user rotates the phone. Is there some
way to lock portrait mode at all?

Espen Riskedal

Aug 9, 2011, 11:08:07 AM8/9/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> - When application is in background for a long time (from some hours to day-
> two), when you want to activate it again, the error message appears, saying that
> "Application com.necessitas... has stopped working".

This is a new one, haven't heard of this one.

> - Virtual keyboard, once appeared, remains on the screen always, even when
> TextInput.focus in QML is set to false and is loaded other QML state (where
> keyboard is not needed). Is there some way to hide the keyboard when there are
> no more input needed?

I've seen the same. It's a bug I believe. For me it will open/close
the virtual keyboard when you swap the orientation.

> - When you go from Qt app to some other (keyboard settings, browser, whatever)
> and go back, everything on the screen is black, until you do some
> action (flicking, for example) and the screen then
> is redrawn. When the app is in foreground and the phone is locked by timeout and
> unlocked again, the screen is ok. So, I think the problem is only when the app
> is sent to background.

Sounds like a bug. You could for now probably call update on every
windowActivated (or similar) event you get for your app. You'd have to
subclass or install eventlistener.

> - Despite the fact that I have viewer.setOrientation
> (QmlApplicationViewer::ScreenOrientationLockLandscape); the application is
> automatically oriented to portrait, when user rotates the phone. Is there some
> way to lock portrait mode at all?

I believe others have said this can be specified in the manifest.xml
(or similarly named) file?

espen