Not uninstalling...outside environment /usr/local

Gour

Dec 13, 2009, 4:09:56 AM12/13/09
to python-v...@googlegroups.com
Hiya!

I'm starting with Python/Django and installed few django/python apps
on my Webfaction account under ~/lib.

However, after wanting to uninstall 'em, I become a little bit
surprised that pip cannot uninstall them complaining 'Not
uninstalling...outside environment /usr/local'

Here is the console log:

[gour@webX gour] pip install django_markup
Downloading/unpacking django-markup
Downloading django-markup-0.3.tar.gz (92Kb): 92Kb downloaded
Running setup.py egg_info for package django-markup
no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/_build/*'
Installing collected packages: django-markup
Running setup.py install for django-markup
no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/_build/*'
Successfully installed django-markup
[gour@webX gour] pip uninstall django_markup
Not uninstalling django-markup at /home/gour/lib/python2.6, outside environment /usr/local

It's kind a strange that pip cannot unistall stuff which it install.

Otoh, by inspecting ~/bin/pip I see the following:

[gour@webX bin] cat pip
#!/usr/local/bin/python2.6
# EASY-INSTALL-SCRIPT: 'pip==0.6.1','pip'
__requires__ = 'pip==0.6.1'
import pkg_resources
pkg_resources.run_script('pip==0.6.1', 'pip')

so I wonder if #!/usr/local/bin/python2.6 line above prevents pip from uninstalling it?

What am I doing wrong and/or what is the correct way to install pkgs
under $HOME without tinkering with virtualenv (which requires some
more work in webfaction setup in order to keep the right env active
after restart)?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Hlapicina, Croatia | GPG key: F96FF5F6

signature.asc

Carl Meyer

Dec 13, 2009, 11:40:32 PM12/13/09
to virtualenv
Hi Gour,

On Dec 13, 4:09 am, Gour <g...@gour-nitai.com> wrote:
> I'm starting with Python/Django and installed few django/python apps
> on my Webfaction account under ~/lib.
>
> However, after wanting to uninstall 'em, I become a little bit
> surprised that pip cannot uninstall them complaining 'Not
> uninstalling...outside environment /usr/local'

Yeah, that's a bug. Uninstall has this "only touch things within
sys.prefix" idea that grew out of the common usage with virtualenv,
but I'm beginning to think it really shouldn't apply to a global pip
at all. We've already had to make one exception for the OS X framework
install layout, and then there's your use case, and Python 2.6
~/.local installs...

Carl