The Genshi issue

Cédric Krier

Mar 4, 2016, 7:05:02 PM3/4/16
to relatorio
Hi,

I got a discussion with Nicolas today about the slow maintenance of the
Genshi project. The last release was made 2 years ago and we have been
affected by [1] which is fixed but not in any published release.
So the first idea was to maybe migrate to Jinja2 but there are many
issues with such migration. Jinja2 is not XML based so it is much more
complex to manipulate the ODT XML. Jinja2 doesn't allow to call methods
(almost) but Relatorio adds many method call in the instruction for
cache, counting etc.
So the next idea was to see why the Genshi project was not active and
see if we could help. I checked the mailing list and indeed we are not
alone [2] and Genshi seems to want to migrate to GitHub before doing any
release but this seems to progress very slowly.
In this discussion, I found Kajiki [3] which is an XML base template
engine using almost the same syntax as Genshi. It seems to be much more
actively maintained. They also have a Text base template engine which is
nice for the non OpenDocument stuffs. They also have a page about
migrating from Genshi [4] so they clearly position themselves as an
alternative.
The drawbacks I see for now, is the PyPI stats showing 10 times less
download as Genshi and there are no filters (except the i18n feature).
(Tryton uses only i18n filters)

I think it worths trying to do such switch.
If you agree I can propose this idea to the list of Tryton ideas for
the GSoC [5].

[1] https://genshi.edgewall.org/ticket/582
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/genshi/Ajx0DE2urHM/discussion
[3] https://pythonhosted.org/Kajiki/
[4] https://pythonhosted.org/Kajiki/migrating_from_genshi.html
[5] https://discuss.tryton.org/t/google-summer-of-code-2016/66?u=ced

Thanks,
--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

Nicolas Évrard

Mar 7, 2016, 5:11:59 AM3/7/16
to relatorio
* Cédric Krier [2016-03-05 01:04 +0100]:
>Hi,

Hello,

>I got a discussion with Nicolas today about the slow maintenance of the
>Genshi project. The last release was made 2 years ago and we have been
>affected by [1] which is fixed but not in any published release.
>
> …
>
>In this discussion, I found Kajiki [3] which is an XML base template
>engine using almost the same syntax as Genshi. It seems to be much more
>actively maintained. They also have a Text base template engine which is
>nice for the non OpenDocument stuffs. They also have a page about
>migrating from Genshi [4] so they clearly position themselves as an
>alternative.
>
> …
>
>I think it worths trying to do such switch.
>If you agree I can propose this idea to the list of Tryton ideas for
>the GSoC [5].

I think this is totally worth it.
So we should at least propose it for the GSoC.

Do you expect difficulties with the loop over column features?

--
Nicolas Évrard - B2CK SPRL
E-mail/Jabber: nicolas...@b2ck.com

Cédric Krier

Mar 7, 2016, 5:35:03 AM3/7/16
to relatorio
On 2016-03-07 10:20, Nicolas Évrard wrote:
> Do you expect difficulties with the loop over column features?

No because expressions are still Python expression so all the internal
methods used to store intermediary result should still be available.