request for a new stable release

Felix Schwarz

Oct 7, 2015, 5:25:30 AM10/7/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I know that there was no recent development for Genshi but can someone please
issue release a 0.7.1 version which is compatible with Python 3? Fedora+Debian
have cherry-picked patches for that but it is really a hassle deploying this
from pypi.

The cherry-picks itself are pretty well tested as they are used by thousands
(millions?) of Debian/Fedora users for quite some time.

Fedora: http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python-genshi.git/tree/

If you need any help please let me know but let's make a stable release soon...
fs

Alessandro Molina

Oct 10, 2015, 11:25:31 AM10/10/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
+1

This would greatly help any py3 user. TurboGears has a monkeypatch in place for Genshi on py3.4 but it would be far better if this is provided by genshi itself.

fs

Simon Cross

Oct 18, 2015, 2:21:07 PM10/18/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
As a pre-cursor to doing a release I'd like to get Genshi into
Edgewall's GitHub repository and hooked up to Travis CI so that I at
least have a sane way to run the tests on all the various Python
versions.

This might also make doing development easier.

I have an intial import at:

* https://github.com/hodgestar/genshi

Various things seem mostly sane, but checks from others would be appreciated:

* Contributors: https://github.com/hodgestar/genshi/graphs/contributors
* Branches: https://github.com/hodgestar/genshi/branches
* Releases: https://github.com/hodgestar/genshi/releases

Anyone know how I get commit permission to the edgewall/genshi
repository on Github? My Github username is hodgestar.

Schiavo
Simon

Felix Schwarz

Oct 18, 2015, 3:26:02 PM10/18/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com, Christian Boos

Am 18.10.2015 um 20:20 schrieb Simon Cross:
> As a pre-cursor to doing a release I'd like to get Genshi into
> Edgewall's GitHub repository and hooked up to Travis CI so that I at
> least have a sane way to run the tests on all the various Python
> versions.

git support is nice, thanks.

I think cboos did the final bits when we added Babel's bitbucket mirror back
in the day.

Felix

Ryan Ollos

Oct 19, 2015, 6:49:54 PM10/19/15
to Genshi

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 11:21:07 AM UTC-7, Hodgestar wrote:
As a pre-cursor to doing a release I'd like to get Genshi into
Edgewall's GitHub repository and hooked up to Travis CI so that I at
least have a sane way to run the tests on all the various Python
versions.

We have GitHub and Travis CI setup for the Trac project. I don't have permission to add users to the Edgewall GitHub organization. I suggest emailing Jonas directly.

There's a ticket in the Lynx issue tracker for adding Genshi, see ticket #7. I suggest we might handle the svn -> git import a bit different than what was done when creating the Trac GitHub repository. This is discussed in Trac issue #11617.

Simon Cross

Oct 19, 2015, 6:57:45 PM10/19/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Question:

I wasn't planning to mirror Genshi to GitHub, I was planning to
migrate development entirely to GitHub.

The current svn infrastructure is outdated and makes things like CI,
releases and building documentation painful. I'd like to migrate
Genshi to GitHub so I can easily automatic things with Travis CI and
readthedocs.org (and potentially automate releases when tags are
pushed).

That will allow me (and hopefully others) to actually do development
of Genshi again, rather than feel frustrated about not being to
releases because testing, checking and building everything is so
manual and fragile.

Is this something people are in favour of?

Schiavo
Simon

P.S. I have emailed Jonas to ask to be added to the necessary Edgewall
GitHub team(s).

Felix Schwarz

Oct 20, 2015, 5:14:34 AM10/20/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com

Am 20.10.2015 um 00:57 schrieb Simon Cross:
> I wasn't planning to mirror Genshi to GitHub, I was planning to
> migrate development entirely to GitHub.
(...)
> That will allow me (and hopefully others) to actually do development
> of Genshi again, rather than feel frustrated about not being to
> releases because testing, checking and building everything is so
> manual and fragile.
>
> Is this something people are in favour of?

I'm all in favor for git especially if adds to your motivation developing
Genshi. On the other hand my first priority is getting a release which I can
deploy for our Python 3-based services easily so if a git migration adds
significant extra effort I'd like a timely release better.

GitHub is a bit "meeh" for me but I'm using it on a daily basis so that's
nice. Also I think every project should have a least a github mirror so it's
easier finding "private" forks (which might contain important fixes).

Felix

Simon Cross

Oct 21, 2015, 5:31:01 PM10/21/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
The git migration is done and now available at
https://github.com/edgewall/genshi.

Next steps:

* Activate Travis CI builds.
* Do release (once tests pass on Python 3.5).

Simon Cross

Nov 8, 2015, 5:09:35 PM11/8/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Update:

* We now have Travis CI builds (pull/1, landed)
* I'm automating deployment to PyPI (pull/2, in progress)

Question:

* Builds currently fail on Python 3.5 (this always happens because of
AST changes). I'm planning to do a release first and then look at
fixing the 3.5 AST issues. Sound sensible?

Schiavo
Simon

Tim Hatch

Nov 8, 2015, 6:50:39 PM11/8/15
to gen...@googlegroups.com, hodg...@gmail.com

Magnus Carlsson

Nov 21, 2015, 9:25:24 AM11/21/15
to Genshi
Hi,

We have recently updated from Python 2 to Python 3 in our framework and would really
like a new Genshi to support it without patching.

I might even have a few hours to help if someone points me in a direction of what needs to be done :-)

/Magnus

Alessandro Molina

Jan 2, 2016, 5:50:28 PM1/2/16
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Do you have any update on this?
Currently released Genshi not working with Python3.4 and 3.5 is a major issue for TurboGears2 compatibility on those two systems and we receive complains cyclically :(
That also made me consider a switch from Genshi to Kajiki as TG2 default engine but I would really love to avoid the effort of switching their codebase to everyone currently using TG, so I'm greatly in favour of Genshi if it can maintain future compatibility.

rle...@openmicroscopy.org

Jun 28, 2017, 6:12:13 PM6/28/17
to Genshi
Hi Simon (or anyone else),

This thread is nearly two years old, and I just wanted to ask if any progress had been made at all with respect to making a release with Python 3.x support?  The project I work on is heavily dependent upon Genshi for Java and C++ source code generation, and we would love to upgrade to Python 3.  Is there any specific assistance we could provide to help here?  What are the outstanding blockers for making a release?

If development has ceased, is there any recommended upgrade path to other Python template language which would allow reuse or conversion of our Genshi templates?  They are unfortunately rather large and complex with a lot of embedded Python, so we may well be tied into it indefinitely.

Kind regards,
Roger

Eli Stevens (Gmail)

Jun 28, 2017, 7:18:13 PM6/28/17
to gen...@googlegroups.com
I've poked at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Kajiki and it seems
workable. I haven't attempted to convert our large pile of genshi that
we use in production, though, so I can't say if it's ready for
production use or not. We don't have a pressing need for py3, so I
don't know if it's ever going to happen for us.

Apparently the project had a new release yesterday.

Good luck!
Eli

Eli Stevens (Gmail)

Jun 28, 2017, 7:28:13 PM6/28/17
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Oh, also note that the *top* docs link on that page is old, but the
*second* link is to a more-recent
http://kajiki.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html .

I've complained about this to the project, but it's not yet fixed.

Cheers,
Eli

Alessandro Molina

Jul 8, 2017, 5:21:43 PM7/8/17
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Kajiki was created in the context of TurboGears project as a replacement for Genshi and is now the default template engine for TurboGears 2.3

Even though Kajiki is under continuous development the template syntax has been stable for years and there are many TG projects that have been ported to Kajiki and we have a specific section on the documentation providing a quick migration path: http://turbogears.readthedocs.io/en/latest/turbogears/kajiki-xml-templates.html#converting-genshi-templates-to-kajiki

Sorry you found references to the old kajiki doc, but pypi was placing the automatically even though there were no references to it anymore in the package.
It should now have been taken care of and the old doc should no longer be visible.

If you need any help with Kajiki feel free to reach on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/turbogears

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/genshi.

Cédric Krier

Sep 1, 2018, 4:32:10 AM9/1/18
to Genshi
Hi,

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 11:09:35 PM UTC+1, Hodgestar wrote:
Update:

* We now have Travis CI builds (pull/1, landed)
* I'm automating deployment to PyPI (pull/2, in progress)

I see that travis build are green now, kudos: https://travis-ci.org/edgewall/genshi/builds/414710458
Is there any plan to make a release soon that will work on Python3?

Thanks.

Simon Cross

Sep 1, 2018, 3:15:30 PM9/1/18
to gen...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan (or anyone else),

I've cut a Genshi 0.7.1 release but the upload to PyPI from Travis is
failing with:

HTTPError: 400 Client Error: User 'edgewall-org' does not have a
verified primary email address. Please add a verified primary email
before attempting to upload to PyPI. See
https://pypi.org/help/#verified-email for more information.for more
information. for url: https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/

See https://travis-ci.org/edgewall/genshi/jobs/423437654#L2004 for the
Travis CI build log.

Is setting a verified primary email address for the edgewall-org user
something you can help with?

In the mean time I've manually uploaded the release.

Schiavo,
Simon

Ryan Ollos

Sep 3, 2018, 4:36:51 AM9/3/18
to Genshi
Hi Simon,

The issue should be resolved now. I'll CC you on another email about the issue.

- Ryan

Simon Cross

Sep 3, 2018, 4:37:23 AM9/3/18
to gen...@googlegroups.com