Re: GSOC 2013 project on symbolic expressions

Burcin Erocal

Apr 23, 2013, 12:06:47 PM4/23/13
to vijay krishn, sage...@googlegroups.com, pynac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vijay,

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:06:23 +0530
vijay krishn <vkvija...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am V.Vijay Krishn and I am in my senior year at BITS Pilani. I have
> read the ideas page and I have found Symbolic Expression project
> suits to my skill set. I am interested in working for this project. I
> will start reading the existing expressions in the code if you could
> provide me with the links. And it would be helpful if you could
> explain more elaborately what is the specific requirement of this.

See my post on the sage-gsoc list for some more information:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-gsoc/5C11rVSbpYk/discussion

You should set up an environment where you can modify and experiment
with Pynac code by following the instructions at [1] or [2].

[1] http://hg.pynac.org/pynac/wiki/get_involved
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pynac-devel/V6S6KGDd-u0/uWEikMgXnAoJ

Ask if you get stuck with these steps so that I can improve the
instructions for everyone's benefit. :)

Once you get through those, try to modify Pynac to print 'hello world'
every time you add two symbolic expressions in Sage.

The application deadline is approaching so we should also work on a
timeline for your proposal.

Cheers,
Burcin

Burcin Erocal

Apr 26, 2013, 6:57:42 AM4/26/13
to sage...@googlegroups.com, pynac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vijay,

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:03:24 -0700 (PDT)
vijay krishn <vkvija...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have read the steps and I have followed the steps. I have installed
> Git GUI and Git Bash to clone the repository. I have read the
> documentation for cloning of the repository to my local machine. I
> have tried everything possible to clone to my machine by using
>
> hg clone https://bitbucket.org/pynac/pynac
> git clone https://bitbucket.org/pynac/pynac

Pynac uses Mercurial, so you only need "hg clone ..."

> This all I have done before forking the source code to my account and
> even after forking. I tried to clone it into my account by trying add
> a repository option. I have pasted the url under clone for Https
> protocol as well as SSH protocol. Then I have got an error saying
> that repo not found at that location when I pasted the URL. Please
> help me in this issue, how to clone the code to my local machine as
> well as in the bitbasket. I am able to successfully fork the repo to
> my account.

I don't quite understand what you tried to do.

I get this (lines starting with $ are my commands, the rest is output):

$ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/pynac/pynac
destination directory: pynac
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 226 changesets with 772 changes to 239 files
updating to branch default
107 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
$ ls pynac
acinclude.m4 configure.ac INSTALL NEWS README
AUTHORS COPYING m4 pynac.pc.in
ChangeLog ginac Makefile.am pynac.spec.in
$ hg tip
changeset: 225:5f14c0386822
tag: tip
user: Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org>
date: Tue Nov 20 16:19:18 2012 +0100
summary: Added tag pynac-0.2.6 for changeset d178f77211b5

So it clones the pynac repository to a new directory called pynac.

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:41:05 -0700 (PDT)
vijay krishn <vkvija...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded the file directly from the link available in
> BitBucket. Will there be any difference between the cloning and
> directly extracting the files from the rar file. I have tried my best
> to clone it but could not. Please let me know.

It should not matter if you just want to play with the code. When you
want to keep track of your changes or submit them for review, you will
need a proper clone of the repository.

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 05:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
vijay krishn <vkvija...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any other way to contact you that is via chat on IRC or
> something like that as it will speed up my setting up of the
> development environment required for the project.

I am available on the #sagemath and #lmnd channels on freenode.net.

Cheers,
Burcin