issue/PR sweep, new release and adding maintainers

tom.kr...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2022, 8:22:41 AM1/23/22
to pydap
Hi all: it's been awhile since our last kickstart of meetings [1].  It is great to see that Pydap continues to be used in a number of environments and deployments.  In addition, there are a number of issues, pull requests and updates that are in the queue.  We also need to cut a release to PyPI shortly.

Having said this, James Gallagher and Ed Hartnett at OPeNDAP have recently indicated their interest in adding DAP4 support to Pydap for NASA requirements.

I'd like to propose that James and Ed be added as fellow Pydap admins to help us move forward the issue/PR triaging, and update our CI story.

If there are no objections by COB Friday 28 January 2022, I will add James and Ed as admins.

Starting with my +1.

..Tom

Beto Dealmeida

Jan 23, 2022, 11:51:21 AM1/23/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Emphatic +1!

James Gallagher

Jan 24, 2022, 11:29:02 AM1/24/22
to pydap
Thanks Tom.

Hi Roberto!

James

Ed Hartnett

Jan 29, 2022, 8:53:26 AM1/29/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

As there were no objections, can you add James (jgallagher59701) and myself (captainkirk99) as admins?

Thanks,
Ed Hartnett

Ed Hartnett

Jan 29, 2022, 8:56:18 AM1/29/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
OK, I should have checked first. Apparently I have been made an admin. Thanks!

Ed Hartnett

Jan 29, 2022, 8:57:50 AM1/29/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
OK, disregard that last message. James and I still need to be made admins of the pydap repo. (I was looking at my fork...)

Tom Kralidis

Jan 30, 2022, 9:23:18 AM1/30/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Ed/James: I have now added you as admins. Let me know if there are any issues.

..Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Ed Hartnett

Jan 30, 2022, 9:50:13 AM1/30/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
All,

Thanks for making James and I admins of the repo, so we can contribute to moving it forward and making it more useful for NASA operationally.

Is there a process for merging PRs? Should I wait for someone to review (if so, we need to have that happen within a reasonable amount of time).

This morning, if acceptable, I would like to merge PR #241 (https://github.com/pydap/pydap/pull/241). This PR comments out a failing test (test_timeout in test_server_devel.py), and adds a GitHub actions workflow, to turn on GitHub actions CI.

GitHub actions is like travis, but better integrated into GitHub. My intention is to add GitHub actions, but continue to maintain and support the travis CI we currently have.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ed Hartnett

Tom Kralidis

Jan 30, 2022, 11:52:41 AM1/30/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed.  I would support migrating away from Travis in favour of GitHub Actions.

..Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Barker

Jan 31, 2022, 2:57:05 PM1/31/22
to py...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed!

My $0.02: once you have the gitHub actions fully function, I'd delete Travis (unless it supports platforms that gitHub doesn't) -- CI's are enough of a pain to maintain to not want to do redundant ones!

-CHB

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

James Gallagher

Jan 31, 2022, 2:59:15 PM1/31/22
to py...@googlegroups.com, Gallagher James

On Jan 30, 2022, at 09:52, Tom Kralidis <tomkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Ed.  I would support migrating away from Travis in favour of GitHub Actions.

I concur. Right now OPeNDAP (a not-for-profit) pays for Travis because we need lots of CI/CD muscle for our C++ builds. PyDAP should not have its CI/CD tied to that account (because if we stop using it, PyDAP’s CI/CD will go away).

So I agree, Github Actions are preferable. We can shut down the Travis builds AFAIAC.

James