FARUQHARSON of Invercauld, Capt Alwyne Arthur Compton MC (1919-2021)

colinp

Oct 7, 2021, 5:13:00 AMOct 7
to Peerage News
The Daily Telegraph today reports the death of Capt Alwyne Farquharson of Invercauld, 16th Laird of Invercauld and Chief of Clan Farquharson on 6 October 2021 aged 102.  He was a scion of the Marquesses of Northampton.

colinp

Oct 7, 2021, 5:16:25 AMOct 7
to Peerage News
I had better post the correct surname FARQUHARSON - to aid searching....oops

dou...@googlemail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 11:23:36 AMOct 7
to Peerage News
Alwyne Arthur Compton Farquharson, Chief of the Name and Arms of Farquharson, 16th Baron of Invercauld and Omnalprie, MC, JP, was born 1 May 1919 as Alwyne Arthur Compton, son of Major Edward Robert Francis Compton, of Newby Hall, Ripon, Yorkshire, and of Torloisk, Aros, Isle of Mull, Scotland (grandson of William Compton, 4th Marquess of Northampton) and Sylvia Farquharson of Invercauld

Earlier correspondence:   https://groups.google.com/g/peerage-news/c/KWQDHjxLSXw/m/4KGEEfXzlgUJ

Richard R

Oct 12, 2021, 2:29:18 AMOct 12
to Peerage News
From the Telegraph of 12 Oct 2021: FARQUHARSON OF INVERCAULD Capt. Alwyne Arthur Compton MC died peacefully at home in Brancaster Staithe aged 102. Much loved husband, stepfather, uncle and great uncle. 16th Baron of Invercauld and Monaltrie, Chief of Clan Farquharson. Funeral 22nd October 2021 2pm at St Mary the Virgin, Brancaster, Memorial 13th November 2021 at Crathie Kirk 2pm. Donations to Braemar Castle...

Obit in the Times of 12 Oct 2021:
Alwyne Farquharson obituary
Longest serving clan chief, Laird of Invercauld and veteran of Alamein and Normandy who was badly wounded while winning the MC
Alwyne Farquharson MC, chief of Clan Farquharson, was born on May 1, 1919. He died on October 6, 2021, aged 102
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alwyne-farquharson-obituary-5jqt3pbfz

dpth...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2021, 7:33:34 AMOct 12
to Peerage News
William Craven, Earl of Craven (London 1 Sep 1770-30 Jul 1825), a Charles II descendant; m.12 Dec 1807 Louisa Brunton (Feb 1785-27 Aug 1860)

Lady Louisa Craven, d.20 Oct 1858; m.1st 24 Oct 1840 Sir George Frederic Johnstone, 7th Bt. (Dec 1810-7 May 1841); m.2d 15 Aug 1844 Alexander Oswald, of Auchencruive (1811-6 Sep 1868)

Louisa Elizabeth Oswald, d.8 Aug 1870; m.19 Nov 1864 James Ross Farquharson, of Invercauld (9 Jan 1834-17 Mar 1888)

Alexander Haldane Farquharson, of Invercauld (12 Mar 1867-17 Mar 1936); m.16 Jan 1893 Zoë Caroline Musgrave (12 Oct 1871-23 Dec 1929)

Sylvia Farquharson, of Invercauld (1899-17 Mar 1950); m.3 Jul 1918 Edward Robert Francis Compton (14 Dec 1891-7 Feb 1977)

Alwyne Arthur Compton Farquharson, of Invercauld (1 May 1919-2021); m.1st 3 Feb 1949 Frances Strickland Lovell Oldham (d.1991); m.2d 1993 Patricia Simms-Adams

Henry W

Oct 17, 2021, 3:21:14 PMOct 17
to Peerage News
CLAN CHIEF
CAPTAIN ALWYNE FARQUHARSON OF INVERCAULD MC
01.05.1919 - 06.10.2021

It is with immense sadness that we announce the passing of Captain Alwyne A. C. Farquharson MC of Invercauld, Chief of the Clan Farquharson and former Chieftain of the Ballater Highland Games.

Educated at Eton College and Oxford University, Alwyne assumed the title in 1941 when his aunt Myrtle was killed in a bombing raid in London, but didn’t matriculate until after the war, when he returned to take up the seat at Invercauld.

A former Cavalry Officer, Alwyne served with The Royal Scots Greys, the Regiment that amalgamated in 1971 to become The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, Scotland's senior regiment and only Cavalry Regiment, of which Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II is Colonel-in-Chief.

During World War Two, Alwyne saw active service at El Alamein and in France, where he was wounded. As a result of his brave actions in France, he was awarded a Military Cross.

His appointment as Chieftain of the Ballater Highland Games was duly confirmed at a Public Meeting of the Games held on 24th November 1948, and, all the way through to the summer of 2019, he never missed a games day. In fact, the 2019 Games, where crowds and Pipe Bands turned out in force to celebrate Alwyne's 100th Birthday, was his 71st consecutive year attending Ballater Highland Games as its Chieftain. He stepped down from this role on 1st May 2021 (his 102nd Birthday).

He held the office of Member of the Aberdeenshire County Council between 1949 and 1975 and of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Aberdeenshire in 1951.

Captain Farquharson, son on Major Edward Robert Francis Compton and Sylvia Farquharson of Invercauld, was born on 1st May 1919. At 102 years old, he is believed to have been the oldest and longest serving Clan Chief in Scottish history.

Alwyne could trace his lineage back to Farquhar, 4th Son of Alexander Ciar (Shaw) Mackintosh of Rothiemurcus (1411 – 1492), whose descendants include the Farquharsons.

Alwyne's first wife, Frances, whom he married in 1949, died in 1991. In 1993, he married Patricia and from their home in Norfolk they returned regularly to Royal Deeside.

The Great Tapestry of Scotland, the longest Tapestry in the world (at 143 metres), launched in 2021 in a purpose built venue in Galashiels. Accompanying the launch, is the temporary exhibition "Iconic Scotland" (running until January 2022) featuring our eminent Chief as the embodiment of Scottish Clan Culture.

During our 2020 Virtual Gathering, we shared several speeches and highlights of our wonderful Clan Chief who was loved and revered in equal measure. We will always be grateful to him for his constant dedication to the Clan, to the Ballater Highland Games and to the local community.

His passing will be deeply felt by many, not least his dear wife, Patricia, to whom we extend our heartfelt condolences.

Alwyne is succeeded as Chief by his Great Nephew, Philip Farquharson, 17th of Invercauld. This site will be updated soon, once we have paid tribute to this remarkable man who has been exemplary for over seven decades as Chief of Clan Farquharson. Meanwhile, we pledge our full support to Philip, the new Chief of Clan Farquharson and new Chieftain of the Ballater Highland Games.

Richard R

Nov 15, 2021, 3:11:58 AMNov 15
to Peerage News
COURT CIRCULAR

Windsor Castle
13th November 2021
The Queen was represented by the Earl of Dalhousie (Lord Steward) at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of Captain Alwyne Farquharson of Invercauld, which was held at Crathie Kirk, Aberdeenshire, this afternoon.